• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

TheKurgan

Kinitari said:
I think my game might be broken, I can't look right or left, and my audio is severely muffled. It all happened when my game got interrupted to tell me that my video capture had reached its limit (which is weird, as I had it set to auto capture) - and when I went back - nada. I tried loading older games, and I tried fiddling with settings. Now I just deleted my game data and hopefully that fixes, i'll get back with the results.

Same thing happened to me - I thought my save file was F'ked.

Basically all your game settings have been reset to 0. So your analog stick sensitivity, volume settings, etc are turned off. Go into the options menu's and bump them back up. Hopefully that works.

EDIT: never mind - you figured it out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Will get the DLC, I'd like to see more substantial content added but I'd much rather have new toys to play with than new missions.
The island is huge and theres plenty of islands where they could add some cool new settlements and buildings.

Sanic

Snuggler said:
Will get the DLC, I'd like to see more substantial content added but I'd much rather have new toys to play with than new missions.
The island is huge and theres plenty of islands where they could add some cool new settlements and buildings.

This is pretty much what i'm waiting for. Hoping for the best.

UFRA

While I'm probably going to get the DLC, still not sure, I have to say that adding more jets to the game (as cool as they are) is overall pointless.

Why? Because the Panau Military jets NEVER engage you. Therefore, you'll always get away and be at a 100% advantage when attacking with a jet.

I don't know why they did that...they will send 5 choppers at you at once, but then you can follow an enemy jet taking off - shoot at him - and he'll do nothing but continue his joy ride.

:( GTA:SA had jet fights, how could they not do this in JC2??

UFRA said:
While I'm probably going to get the DLC, still not sure, I have to say that adding more jets to the game (as cool as they are) is overall pointless.

Why? Because the Panau Military jets NEVER engage you. Therefore, you'll always get away and be at a 100% advantage when attacking with a jet.

I don't know why they did that...they will send 5 choppers at you at once, but then you can follow an enemy jet taking off - shoot at him - and he'll do nothing but continue his joy ride.

:( GTA:SA had jet fights, how could they not do this in JC2??
I'd care more if the plane controls weren't so bad. No rudder controls? Even Saints Row 2 has them!

Filldough

Neuromancer said:
I'd care more if the plane controls weren't so bad. No rudder controls? Even Saints Row 2 has them!

SERIOUSLY! I'm more bothered that Helicopters have no rudder control. Just makes maneuvering really clumsy. I will say that I like that helicopters seem to hover with little to no effort. Was playing GTA4 the other day and keeping a damn chopper in the air is such a fucking chore.

I really want to go home and try the parachute thrusters :)

bridegur

I got the thrusters; they are awesome. Does anyone know if you can get a jet ski in the game? If not, I'd love to see some in DLC.

bridegur said:
I got the thrusters; they are awesome. Does anyone know if you can get a jet ski in the game? If not, I'd love to see some in DLC.
Negative, ghost rider... Jetskis are a glaring omission in this game.

Oh yeah and the thrusters are cool.. Only problem is that as I 100% settlements, I often save and reload to get rid of my wanted level... So since I lose them everytime I do that it's an expensive proposition.

eshwaaz

WickedLaharl said:
the parachute thrusters are badass!

Do you have full control over when they're used, or do they kick in automatically? I'm curious to try them, but I still take a lot of pleasure in using the grapple to parasail around the island and I don't want that ruined by the thrusters.

Sanic

eshwaaz said:
Do you have full control over when they're used, or do they kick in automatically? I'm curious to try them, but I still take a lot of pleasure in using the grapple to parasail around the island and I don't want that ruined by the thrusters.

Full control, there's just a gauge that limits how long you can use them for. After that gauge is filled there's a short cooldown period.

I would say if you've been playing for awhile, there's no harm in using the thrusters if you like them. I wouldn't immediately start with them though, would ruin the initial thrill IMO.

Aselith

eshwaaz said:

You control them with the right bumper. The burst is pretty short actually so you move around by a combination of grapple plus boosters. It more enhances the parashooting by helping add some extra speed rather than replacing the grapple. It's a straight forward thrust that you can turn into upward thrust by angling yourself correctly.

Got the DLC... it's not bad, but I think it sucks that the thrusters aren't a permanent part of your gear. Why should I have to pay real money to buy them, then in-game money to buy them again? Having to re-buy them after everytime you die is annoying.

By the way, does anyone know what happens to your income if you complete every mission/settlement? Is there a way to still generate cash? I'm so afraid to spend any money in this game...I have almost 3 million right now because I have only bought a few things from the black market.

Aselith

I wouldn't think that bottoming out cash would be a concern for a very, very long time. If you should run into an issue with no more places to max out for cash, maybe you should just start a new game?

I can tell you that I'm at 38% and I have 600k and I buy stuff all the time. As long as you are a little conservative and don't constantly buy the 100k helicopters and stuff, you really don't need to worry. Especially not with 3 million in the bank.

eshwaaz

Pandoracell said:
Full control, there's just a gauge that limits how long you can use them for. After that gauge is filled there's a short cooldown period.

I would say if you've been playing for awhile, there's no harm in using the thrusters if you like them. I wouldn't immediately start with them though, would ruin the initial thrill IMO.

Aselith said:
You control them with the right bumper. The burst is pretty short actually so you move around by a combination of grapple plus boosters. It more enhances the parashooting by helping add some extra speed rather than replacing the grapple. It's a straight forward thrust that you can turn into upward thrust by angling yourself correctly.

Thanks, guys - that sounds good. I'll give it a shot.

Aselith said:
I wouldn't think that bottoming out cash would be a concern for a very, very long time. If you should run into an issue with no more places to max out for cash, maybe you should just start a new game?

I can tell you that I'm at 38% and I have 600k and I buy stuff all the time. As long as you are a little conservative and don't constantly buy the 100k helicopters and stuff, you really don't need to worry. Especially not with 3 million in the bank.

It's EXTREMELY easy to spend a LOT of money. Unless you want to do every settlement the hard way, buying Rockets, and Attack choppers is not cheap. hell, RPG ammo is what...$80,000 alone?

Kinda disappointed to hear you have to constantly buy the Thrusters as well. That seems like a very odd decision.

Net_Wrecker said:
It's EXTREMELY easy to spend a LOT money. Unless you want to do every settlement the hard way, buying Rockets, and Attack choppers is not cheap. hell, RPG ammo is what...$80,000 alone?

Kinda disappointed to hear you have to constantly buy the Thrusters as well. That seems like a very odd decision.
Yeah that is kind of a bummer. Black market prices in this game are insane.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
WickedLaharl said:
where in the hell is the dlc for the pc version?!

It was odd the devs didn't announce it alongside the 360/PS3 but the DLC was up on Steam last night, £1.60 in the UK. Thrusters are great for getting around, the multi target rocket launcher is fun :D Haven't tried the new plane yet.

Having to re-buy the thrusters is very annoying. If you fail a mission and have to restart from a checkpoint the thrusters are gone! Great way to escape to the jungle and let the Heat die down.

j-wood

I picked this game up yesterday, holy crap, possible game of the year. This is just incredible.

Yesterday I found an airstrip and decided to picked up a jet and fly around. I decided to fly to this obscure island up in the top left corner of the map

As I was flying, dark clouds starting appearing and it was getting alot darker. I was like...what is going on? Then in the distance, I saw a lightning orb charge up and thought "what the hell..?" Then my place exploded and I had to parachute onto this crazy island with towers and lightning and no one around. I decided to try to work my way to the tower I saw charge up and on the way, I found a 747 broken in half laying on the ground. Felt straight out of LOST. I used the grapple, climbed to the top of that huge tower, fighting soldiers all the way, then called an extraction from the very top of it. Holy balls this game is awesome

Then, I found the airport, rode on top of a 747 for a while until
I saw a blimp in the sky. I thought surely I can get on that. I jacked the 747, flew close, stunt jumped to the top, then parachuted off, making the 747 fall and landing on the blimb which turned out to be a huge rave party in the sky. I found some components, blew up some stuff, then bailed out on a jet. :D :D :D :D :D

Finally, the small jet/car thing you can get from the black market (like the second or third unlock) is amazing. :lol

parachute thruster and multi-lock rocket launcher are awesome

taking out a base is just: boost in air, start firing downward :lol

has Bolo patch been updated to give unlimited boost yet?

and the pack is totally worth $2. I bought it for the thrusters and the rocket launchers are just as good. The jet...not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AmCRLevTw

nice! someone already made a mod to give thrusters more power and unlimited fuel :lol

Linkzg said:
parachute thruster and multi-lock rocket launcher are awesome

taking out a base is just: boost in air, start firing downward :lol

has Bolo patch been updated to give unlimited boost yet?

and the pack is totally worth $2. I bought it for the thrusters and the rocket launchers are just as good. The jet...not so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0AmCRLevTw

nice! someone already made a mod to give thrusters more power and unlimited fuel :lol
:lol cool :)

crispyben

I'm closing in on 50%, and had my first glitched location tonight (Pekan Kesuma I think, in a southern archipelago). I'm stuck at 93%, my indicator tells me there's something to collect, but it never goes up to the blinking intensity, no matter where I go... Oh well, it's not like I was ever gonna get to 100% :D

I adore these air races. I think I spent 90% of my time in San Andreas flying the Hydra under every bridge I could see, and occasionally through this tunnel in the west of Las Venturas, but some of the three star races in the city areas are absolutely brutal. There's one called Bridge of Death that took me about ten tries just to finish, but it hurt so good. I'm really feeling the lack of yaw control, and I do wish I had control over my plane's landing gear instead of it just retracting and lowering when it deems necessary, but I still love it.

There's one race through the city that has a marker in between two buildings that are too close together to fly through normally; you can only get through by flying on your side. This game is giving me fantastic Star Wars and Talespin flashbacks. I wish there was a seaplane in there somewhere.

Most Bases have tanks inside of them, somewhere. I just get one of those, go to town blowing up whatever needs to be blown up, using the tank as cover from weapon fire. Then when it's destroyed I either go back to where I found it (they respawn really fast), or just grapple around everywhere to hunt for items.

Just beat the game last night, then did a few races and found a few unique vehicles for two additional achievements. All in all, fucking awesome game, great effort by Avalanche and I look forward to the rest of the DLC they put out.

Anyone play this game on the hardest difficulty? How bad was it?

Stupid stupid question: why is it that I cannot restart from the location I saved at but instead have to go all the way back to a location where I completed a mission?

Sanic

LovingSteam said:
Stupid stupid question: why is it that I cannot restart from the location I saved at but instead have to go all the way back to a location where I completed a mission?

It was just a design choice. One which can be annoying, I agree.

LovingSteam said:
It's always whatever faction stronghold you were closest to when you saved.

j-wood

Is there a trick to doing the air races? I'm using the airplane the race gives you but good lord, they all seem to turn with the speed of molasses so even the 1 star races are extremely difficult because I end up missing checkpoints and try to loop back but the plane controls like garbage so even that is incredibly difficult.

Should I use a different plane or am I doing something wrong?

j-wood said:
Is there a trick to doing the air races? I'm using the airplane the race gives you but good lord, they all seem to turn with the speed of molasses so even the 1 star races are extremely difficult because I end up missing checkpoints and try to loop back but the plane controls like garbage so even that is incredibly difficult.

Should I use a different plane or am I doing something wrong?
I can't handle the planes that accurate as well. I use a helicopter instead and this works great. I'm not FAST with it but it's fast enough :)

damn, my game crashed few minutes ago. I was right in a faction mission for BOLO SANTOSI :D

Neuromancer said:
Just beat the game last night, then did a few races and found a few unique vehicles for two additional achievements. All in all, fucking awesome game, great effort by Avalanche and I look forward to the rest of the DLC they put out.

Anyone play this game on the hardest difficulty? How bad was it?

you played it on normal ?
Hard was really easy...

crispyben said:
I'm closing in on 50%, and had my first glitched location tonight (Pekan Kesuma I think, in a southern archipelago). I'm stuck at 93%, my indicator tells me there's something to collect, but it never goes up to the blinking intensity, no matter where I go... Oh well, it's not like I was ever gonna get to 100% :D

incorrect, you are missing a generator.

If you are in the middle of nowhere at some rinky dink hellhole its almost ALWAYS a generator. There are a few (maybe half a dozen) places where an upgrade will be way outside of the town but still count, but yeah. I completed 368/368 settlements. You think thats bad, just wait till youre looking for the last water tower in the city

crispyben

Onion_Relish said:
incorrect, you are missing a generator.

If you are in the middle of nowhere at some rinky dink hellhole its almost ALWAYS a generator. There are a few (maybe half a dozen) places where an upgrade will be way outside of the town but still count, but yeah. I completed 368/368 settlements. You think thats bad, just wait till youre looking for the last water tower in the city
I could miss a generator, it's happened before, but then my indicator wouldn't behave strangely if there wasn't something wrong with this village, which seems to have been glitched for others on the net too.

Well, I purchased a copy of the game last night. Someone was selling an opened but unused copy of the PC version of the game. He claims that the game is the legit US release, with an unused DVD key, and that it is simply open and unused. So I purchased it. Couldn't help myself. I hope he's not lying. (He's got great feedback, and he's based nearby, so I doubt he's lying.)

Anyway, was I dumb to go with the PC version? Is it worse than the console editions?

Also, should I play with mouse/keyboard or my 360 pad?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PC is the best choice, it has some awesome mods available.
From what I've heard the 360 pad is the way to go with JC2.

Sanic

Snuggler said:
PC is the best choice, it has some awesome mods available.
From what I've heard the 360 pad is the way to go with JC2.

This. It goes PC>PS3>360, unless you have a strong preference for the 360 pad.

Bizzyb

Banned
I'm about to pick this game up, but I need to know which version is overall best
PS3 has the whole record and upload to youtube thing going on.

But I think I would like the 360 pad best.

Help?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You can't go wrong either way, neither has a noticeable tech advantage.

PS3: Youtube uploading (which is cool)
360: You preferred pad, custom soundtracks

I'm on PS3, I like the dualshock so it works for me. Sometimes I wish that it had custom soundtracks though, it would be great for flying/'chuting/driving around Panau.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Pandoracell said:
This. It goes PC>PS3>360, unless you have a strong preference for the 360 pad.
You can use the 360 controller with the PC version therefore the PC version wins.

Top Bottom