• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Game arrived today. As described, everything was gem-mint and the game was open.

I checked the back of the manual and I saw the CD key with the title 'Steam Activation' above it. I had no idea that this game allows for activation on Steam. So I tried out the code and it worked. Just Cause 2 is downloading as we speak. $22, all-in, for JC2. And now I've got the hardcopy stuff and the Steam integration. Pretty happy.

I've got my 360 controller plugged into my PC and ready to go. I'm getting pretty excited.

UFRA

I'm slowly working towards getting a platinum trophy in this game.

Hardcore mode isn't that hard, but it's annoying as hell...

All I have to do is beat the game on hardcore, and then simply collect like 50 more faction items, and finish about 20 more races. That stuff will be easy as pie compared to the annoyances of hardcore.

UFRA said:
I'm slowly working towards getting a platinum trophy in this game.

Hardcore mode isn't that hard, but it's annoying as hell...

All I have to do is beat the game on hardcore, and then simply collect like 50 more faction items, and finish about 20 more races. That stuff will be easy as pie compared to the annoyances of hardcore.
Yeah beating the game on hardcore is my only achievement left (well I'd pick up the ones for the other difficulties along the way). Any tips for playing through on hardcore? My plan is to do all the strongholds right off the bat, I'm hoping that'll give me a ton of chaos so I can burn right through the story missions.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have 4 more damn vehicles to find. Two of them are boats. ARGH.

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Yeah beating the game on hardcore is my only achievement left (well I'd pick up the ones for the other difficulties along the way). Any tips for playing through on hardcore? My plan is to do all the strongholds right off the bat, I'm hoping that'll give me a ton of chaos so I can burn right through the story missions.

Finding a quick fix to a lot of chaos is my biggest challenge in Hardcore.

At first, I thought it would be a good idea to just grab a chopper and go from military base to military bas just destroying all of the government objects. Well, when each item only does like 500 chaos on average, it's more time-efficient to just do missions and get 5000+ chaos for just a few minutes of play. Since I beat the game on Normal, I know how to do the missions now and I literally beat some of them in less than a minute lol. Plus, destroying things at military bases pretty much guarantees they'll sent 3204902853029 choppers after you instantly and you'll spend more time running away than getting chaos. :/

So, for now I just go from mission to mission, and I do the stronghold takeovers whenever they're available, I did all 9 at this point, and I just finished agency mission 5 today (at about 6 hours in). Two more to go...but it's just really grinding away...ugh.

Sanic

Sunflower said:
I have 4 more damn vehicles to find. Two of them are boats. ARGH.

I don't want to even think about this one. With all the time i've put into the game, i've only found 40ish unique vehicles.

Super Para Thrusters are so much fun. It shrinks the world of Just Cause 2. Even using jets in the regular game it would take some time to travel across the map, but the super para thrusters is "I WANT TO GO THERE....OK I'M THERE"

At first I thought the mod made them too fast, but speed control is just a matter of tapping lightly when you don't want to zoom away.

Bizzyb

Banned
So I got the 360 version

I noticed a bit of screen tearing every now and then.
Also the motion blur looks kinda cheap but it's amusing

I may use my own music later on. The plus side is that I love playing it on a 360 controller compared to when I was using a Dualshock 3.

All-in-all this is crazy fun. I'm spent 5+hrs and I'm only 5% done. The game is HUGE. I knew it was huge but damn, his is insane. I wish there was some kind of cover system or way to crouch AND walk as it makes combat feel a bit lacking. Also some of the vehicles have the weirdest controls ever. Constant spinning out and whatnot.

Can't wait to get back into it some more. Best purchase I've made in a while.

Sanic

Bizzyb said:
So I got the 360 version

I noticed a bit of screen tearing every now and then.
Also the motion blur looks kinda cheap but it's amusing

I may use my own music later on. The plus side is that I love playing it on a 360 controller compared to when I was using a Dualshock 3.

All-in-all this is crazy fun. I'm spent 5+hrs and I'm only 5% done. The game is HUGE. I knew it was huge but damn, his is insane. I wish there was some kind of cover system or way to crouch AND walk as it makes combat feel a bit lacking. Also some of the vehicles have the weirdest controls ever. Constant spinning out and whatnot.

Can't wait to get back into it some more. Best purchase I've made in a while.

This reminds me, I hate the crouch system. So awkward.

Bizzyb

Banned
Pandoracell said:
This reminds me, I hate the crouch system. So awkward.

I assume the point is duck in and out of cover but why the hell couldn't they make you STAY crouched (and with the ability to shoot while crouched) like in GTA? It's very awkward. Maybe they realized but didn't want to spend more time and money making a crouch walking animation and then bug testing it everywhere.

UFRA

WOOHOO!

I just finished the game on Hardcore.

Took me 9 hours 19 minutes. All I did to get enough chaos for each agency mission was do faction missions and stronghold takeovers. That's it. I didn't 100% any locations or anything.

So that's the best tip I can give for anyone trying to get a speedy runthrough of hardcore for the trophies. Stick to the missions for quick, and sometimes really easy chaos.

2 easy trophies left until platinum #7, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol

crispyben

Got the 50% completion trophy after 59 hours :lol I don't wanna think how long the next 25% are gonna take... I still need to pick up around 75 faction items, do some 20 races, and finish the game on hardcore difficulty to (almost) Platinum it :D

I'm at 18% already with only 1 agency and 4 faction missions done :D oh and 4 stronghold takeovers.

I've done around 50 locations @ 100% so far IIRC. It's a lot of fun to destroy a whole base with one press of a button :lol

Rich!

Not sure.

Anyway, this game is incredible. I love just fucking around, stealing planes, and smashing them into bases/silos just after parachuting out and gunning everything in sight as the introduction to my onslaught.

I also love those standing crates with the fuel canisters in. If there's a guard nearby, I use the grapple hook to attach him to the crate and then I shoot it, resulting in the guard flying away. :lol

ne1

It's been quite a while since I had this much fun with a game, it can hardly receive enough praise. I even bought the parachute thrusters DLC, which might be the first DLC I've ever gotten.

The 360-controller is great but I have to think hard every time I hack those fuel lines or hijack vehicles because of the x-y,a-b naming differing from Nintendo's. :lol

I wonder how it's been selling, does anyone know? Fell of the top 10 in Sweden in a week I think. :/

UFRA said:
WOOHOO!

Took me 9 hours 19 minutes. All I did to get enough chaos for each agency mission was do faction missions and stronghold takeovers. That's it. I didn't 100% any locations or anything.

So that's the best tip I can give for anyone trying to get a speedy runthrough of hardcore for the trophies. Stick to the missions for quick, and sometimes really easy chaos.

Did you go searching for armor upgrades or anything?

richisawesome said:
Not sure.

Anyway, this game is incredible. I love just fucking around, stealing planes, and smashing them into bases/silos just after parachuting out and gunning everything in sight as the introduction to my onslaught.

I also love those standing crates with the fuel canisters in. If there's a guard nearby, I use the grapple hook to attach him to the crate and then I shoot it, resulting in the guard flying away. :lol
You can also grapple the white part of the top of those canisters, aim down and shoot the tank and go flying up yourself.

Hyoushi

ok, have to post since I just encountered a nice gamebreaking bug in this. I'm doing all the faction missions for the achievement, and got to a Reapers mission called Black Gold.

the mission is to fly out to an oil rig and "destroy it", which means blowing up regular sabotage objects (rig tower, crane, fuel depots) on the rig to fill up a bar. the problem is of course, if you've taken advantage of the openness of the game and visited this rig earlier in the game and blown stuff up, you won't be able to complete this mission. also, even if you haven't visited it earlier, if you start this mission and die in the middle of blowing stuff up, you restart from the mission starting point and the destruction percentage reverts back to zero, but all the objects are still blown up. so, you have to do it right the first time, and if you've 100%:ed the rig before, you're also screwed. I died mid-mission and realized I couldn't finish it, so I had to reload a save from last night, losing me only a couple of hours of progress. also I was lucky enough to not have blown stuff up on this rig before. had done so on the other rig just south of the one in the mission though. hua

here's a map of what I am talking about

missionbug.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got my vehicle achievement, only 3 remain - 2 being the difficulty-related finish game modes (will be a breeze) and the 75% collection. I'm at like 70.19% or something, just pickin up crates and praying to find some 0% military bases for a nice boost...but I think they're all tapped out. :lol

So much fun though, I really do love this game and it's because of the mechanics, and nothing else. Just feels good.

What's the best way to quickly up your % number? I have been spending hours completing bases and villages and only gained a few total points. Almost at 70% now, all colonels are dead, last trophy I need is the 75%. Fuck this is going to take forever.

UFRA said:
WOOHOO!

Thats what I did, although you do get a bonus for completing villages, so if there was one i knew fairly well I would jump around for 5 minutes to get 100% in it.

Another good trick is to just hop into a helicopter and slaughter all the exploding things in a port or airbase then just fly to the next one. You get 50% in a bunch of close ones on the desert continent and all the sudden youve got a new mission!

Hyoushi said:
ok, have to post since I just encountered a nice gamebreaking bug in this. I'm doing all the faction missions for the achievement, and got to a Reapers mission called Black Gold.

the mission is to fly out to an oil rig and "destroy it", which means blowing up regular sabotage objects (rig tower, crane, fuel depots) on the rig to fill up a bar. the problem is of course, if you've taken advantage of the openness of the game and visited this rig earlier in the game and blown stuff up, you won't be able to complete this mission. also, even if you haven't visited it earlier, if you start this mission and die in the middle of blowing stuff up, you restart from the mission starting point and the destruction percentage reverts back to zero, but all the objects are still blown up. so, you have to do it right the first time, and if you've 100%:ed the rig before, you're also screwed. I died mid-mission and realized I couldn't finish it, so I had to reload a save from last night, losing me only a couple of hours of progress. also I was lucky enough to not have blown stuff up on this rig before. had done so on the other rig just south of the one in the mission though. hua

here's a map of what I am talking about

missionbug.jpg

If there is one mission in the game that is wonky, It's probably this one. It sucks that you had that glitch, it never occured for me so I guess im lucky seeing as I did die during that mission (crashed a fighter plane into the oil derick :lol :lol ) The rest of the game has those typical open world bugs but i never experienced one pertaining to missions. It should also be pointed out that I did actually blow this platform up before doing the mission. When i got there it was fully healed. After blowing it up I now have 41/40 cranes.

Bumblebeetuna said:
What's the best way to quickly up your % number? I have been spending hours completing bases and villages and only gained a few total points. Almost at 70% now, all colonels are dead, last trophy I need is the 75%. Fuck this is going to take forever.

Just go to the desert and nuke some military bases, it helps a bunch. The city as well is full of collectables so you can probably clear 5% in that one area. Unfortunately there are no sure fire ways to get %, only sweet, sweet grinding

Hyoushi

Onion_Relish said:
If there is one mission in the game that is wonky, It's probably this one. It sucks that you had that glitch, it never occured for me so I guess im lucky seeing as I did die during that mission (crashed a fighter plane into the oil derick :lol :lol ) The rest of the game has those typical open world bugs but i never experienced one pertaining to missions. It should also be pointed out that I did actually blow this platform up before doing the mission. When i got there it was fully healed. After blowing it up I now have 41/40 cranes.
hm. so I guess it restores those objects when you start the mission? what about the percentage complete, did that get restored as well? after doing the mission I was exactly at 50% on the rig, blew up the SAMs and stuff and got the items and got 100% on it. would be weird if you could get 100% without actually getting all the items. hehe

Bumblebeetuna said:
Missions, have you done them all?

Hyoushi said:
hm. so I guess it restores those objects when you start the mission? what about the percentage complete, did that get restored as well? after doing the mission I was exactly at 50% on the rig, blew up the SAMs and stuff and got the items and got 100% on it. would be weird if you could get 100% without actually getting all the items. hehe

HMMMM thats a really good question.
If I had to guess, I would say that I still had the completion percentage even when the mission resets. I say that because you can actually get 100% in the mission just by blowing things up. If i'm not mistaken you also dont even need to blow up every single oil tank or crane or everything. One thing I dont remember is landing on the crane to pick up new powerups, that definately did not happen. After my failed attempt at strafing with the eclipse i just hopped in my rowlinson and took the platform apart. I also do remember that after I died the entire platform respawned.

Hyoushi

Onion_Relish said:
HMMMM thats a really good question.
If I had to guess, I would say that I still had the completion percentage even when the mission resets. I say that because you can actually get 100% in the mission just by blowing things up. If i'm not mistaken you also dont even need to blow up every single oil tank or crane or everything. One thing I dont remember is landing on the crane to pick up new powerups, that definately did not happen.
Yeah I didn't mean you have to get all the pickups to clear the faction mission, seems like drill tower, crane and fuel depots only. I was talking about the "settlement percentage".

Hyoushi said:
Yeah I didn't mean you have to get all the pickups to clear the faction mission, seems like drill tower, crane and fuel depots only. I was talking about the "settlement percentage".

Yeah, thats what I meant by "I would say that I still had the completion percentage even when the mission resets."

Maybe try doing another mission and see if it resets or something?

Hyoushi said:

If you restart a mission from a checkpoint your % will nearly always reset to zero. I had the same problem when I died on some reaper mission have to secure a TV station on the PS3 version.

However now I am using the PC version for "Dick around" purposes and could not be happier :lol Inf Para thrusters are fun.

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Did you go searching for armor upgrades or anything?

Nope!

I only picked up items if they were right near me during a mission. I never went out of my way to get them. I didn't upgrade any weapons past Level 3, and I mainly used Dual SMG's and the Machine Gun.

I think I only had my health upgraded 3 times the entire game in Hardcore.

BeeDog

Alright, just lent the PS3 version from a friend, and gonna boot it up in a minute. I have one question though:

There is a trophy for finishing the game on the hardest game mode. Is it advisable to fully finish the game in Normal mode (all trophies), then do a separate run for the Hardcore trophy, or should I just start the game on this difficulty level? Or will everything else be too hard then?

How much time does a run-through of the story missions take?

UFRA

BeeDog said:
Alright, just lent the PS3 version from a friend, and gonna boot it up in a minute. I have one question though:

There is a trophy for finishing the game on the hardest game mode. Is it advisable to fully finish the game in Normal mode (all trophies), then do a separate run for the Hardcore trophy, or should I just start the game on this difficulty level? Or will everything else be too hard then?

How much time does a run-through of the story missions take?

Personally I think it's best to have one Normal save file and a separate one for the Hardcore achievement.

I just finished running through the story on Hardcore doing ONLY faction missions, stronghold takeovers, and agency missions and it took 9 hours.

Hardcore was NOT enjoyable. Just stupid and annoying.

After I got the Hardcore trophy, I was so glad to go back to my Normal save file with 76% completion. It was back to having FUN again, not dealing with that rubbish.

But that's just me...

BeeDog

UFRA said:
Personally I think it's best to have one Normal save file and a separate one for the Hardcore achievement.

I just finished running through the story on Hardcore doing ONLY faction missions, stronghold takeovers, and agency missions and it took 9 hours.

Hardcore was NOT enjoyable. Just stupid and annoying.

After I got the Hardcore trophy, I was so glad to go back to my Normal save file with 76% completion. It was back to having FUN again, not dealing with that rubbish.

But that's just me...

As I figured. Thanks for confirming (and answering)!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like funny business to me but I don't understand why someone would take the time to fake this. Plus they're missing the XBOX360 logo and some other stuff. Weird.

I'm ready for JC3, though. I'm down.

UFRA

Looks like a poorly made fake for several reasons IMO:

1. Why is the 3 slightly "off" compared to the rest of the text?

2. As others pointed out, where's the X360 and Games for Windows logos? I SUPER HIGHLY MEGA-DOUBT that it would be a PS3 exclusive.

3. Too soon for a sequel, even if it was just an announcement for a 2011 or 2012 game. An open world game of this magnitude does not just form overnight. Even GTA's don't get announced that quickly if I'm not mistaken (even though it's implied that a sequel/continue of the series will happen in the case of GTA's). Has the game even sold enough copies for them to consider it a good enough success?

4."Coming soon" my ass. This is probably the biggest indicator of it being fake.

5. Why is the text nice and neat? The past 2 Just Cause games had rugged and scratched up looking text. This is all nice and fresh, and thinner than the normal text they use.

6. The scorpion in the letter A is nothing like the one they use in the current title, although that has changed from JC 1 to 2.

7. Why would Rico take a fall? He was never built-up to be some awesome character that people talk about in gaming. "Hey remember that time Rico did this or that????" No, it's "Remember in JC2 when I blew the fuck out of that radar dish in Mission 4? Yeah. That was sweet." I could care less if he takes a fall. Just let me blow shit up. The game doesn't take itself seriously, and "The fall of Rico" is a subtitle that indicates a game taking itself a little seriously, IMO.

/Detective GAF

UFRA said:
Looks like a poorly made fake for several reasons IMO:

1. Why is the 3 slightly "off" compared to the rest of the text?

2. As others pointed out, where's the X360 and Games for Windows logos? I SUPER HIGHLY MEGA-DOUBT that it would be a PS3 exclusive.

3. Too soon for a sequel, even if it was just an announcement for a 2011 or 2012 game. An open world game of this magnitude does not just form overnight. Even GTA's don't get announced that quickly if I'm not mistaken (even though it's implied that a sequel/continue of the series will happen in the case of GTA's). Has the game even sold enough copies for them to consider it a good enough success?

4."Coming soon" my ass. This is probably the biggest indicator of it being fake.

5. Why is the text nice and neat? The past 2 Just Cause games had rugged and scratched up looking text. This is all nice and fresh, and thinner than the normal text they use.

6. The scorpion in the letter A is nothing like the one they use in the current title, although that has changed from JC 1 to 2.

7. Why would Rico take a fall? He was never built-up to be some awesome character that people talk about in gaming. "Hey remember that time Rico did this or that????" No, it's "Remember in JC2 when I blew the fuck out of that radar dish in Mission 4? Yeah. That was sweet." I could care less if he takes a fall. Just let me blow shit up. The game doesn't take itself seriously, and "The fall of Rico" is a subtitle that indicates a game taking itself a little seriously, IMO.

/Detective GAF

Yeah, "Fall of Rico" is the main thing to me because it just doesn't really fit the series.

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 315 Capitol
Address: Suite 205
City: Houston
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 77002

ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.theplanet.com:4321

NetRange: 67.18.0.0 - 67.19.255.255
CIDR: 67.18.0.0/15
OriginAS: AS13749, AS21844, AS30315, AS36420
NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-11
NetHandle: NET-67-18-0-0-1