• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Finally got around to completing the main storyline. I'm at 36% complete. I don't think I'll ever get to 75% but would like to hit 50%. What contributes most to completion %?

Salaadin

With BOLOPatch currently broken, are there any other ways to get unlimited ammo? Thats my only problem with this game. I cant keep my guns full.

Shaneus

Salaadin said:
With BOLOPatch currently broken, are there any other ways to get unlimited ammo? Thats my only problem with this game. I cant keep my guns full.
Find a turret. Sure, you can't really do much when you're carrying it but it's SO MUCH FUN blowing shit up with one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sometimes I think that while playing Just Cause 2, we get so wrapped up in how much fun it is that we don't notice just how beautiful the landscape is, as well. As I was playing, I stumbled upon this particular viewpoint in the mountains, and decided to record the moon setting and the sun rising over Panau. It really is a stunning sight. Kudos to Avalanche Studios for putting together one of the most beautiful open world games ever.

Just Cause 2 - Sunrise Over Panau

edbrat

Seraphis Cain said:
Sometimes I think that while playing Just Cause 2, we get so wrapped up in how much fun it is that we don't notice just how beautiful the landscape is, as well. As I was playing, I stumbled upon this particular viewpoint in the mountains, and decided to record the moon setting and the sun rising over Panau. It really is a stunning sight. Kudos to Avalanche Studios for putting together one of the most beautiful open world games ever.

Just Cause 2 - Sunrise Over Panau

very nice! Loved this game so much, used to make me want to go on holiday when just floating down the coast from settlement to settlement. Think I got to 60% before I stopped playing, just can't put myself through trying to 100% the big settlements around the city area (on console so can't use the mods which help you find stuff :(

but goddamn i had fun playing this, can see myself doing another run through the story in a few months or so.

The Chef

So my game time is around 15 hours or so and for the first time this morning I actually loaded a game when I blew it trying to fly my jet from my base (I usually end up dying and then the auto-save loads).

So I load my game and I am at a different base....I look at my map and there are icons I'm sure i completed. I look at my game time....

5 HOURS.

Apparently Auto-Save doesn't create an actual save file. So when I loaded my game it was from the only time I actually went to "Save Game".

Well, I had a lot more that I wanted to do in this game but not anymore man. F THAT.

Holy crap is this game fun! I was a huge Pandemic Studios fan, and I never thought someone would fill the void for quirky and humorous sandbox games (and I loved The Saboteur and both Merc games), but man Just Cause has proven me wrong. It's just so much more than both of those franchises. There is just so much to destroy and I love that grappling hook. I'm happy I took a risk on the game rental yesterday. Man, I can't believe I almost didn't rent this.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Bleh... I tried to get into this game but couldn't. The controls aside (they being a little wonky on PC), this thing also wouldn't run on my rig.

I can do HL2, Mass Effect 2, Arkham Asylum, Dead Space... I can run them all maxed out settings, and get close to 60fps on each.

This game hates my computer. Even running the lowest settings possible, I still get about 12 frames a second, and I have to turn the resolution down so far that it ends up looking like shit for it to run decent.

Ah well...

UFRA

Neuromancer said:
Not hard. I think I have all of them except the difficulty based ones. Just time consuming.

Exactly this.

Took a while to platinum the game, but I rarely felt any extreme challenge.

I would say it was "average" in difficulty.

Davidion

Started playing recently and I'm having fun. It's not perfect, but it's entirely enjoyable if you don't nitpick too much.

Pros
- Looks pretty
- Good dumb fun, totally shameless. If you're going to do open world, this looks about right.

Cons
- Holy shitty voice acting. I'm HOPING that it's all an intentional gag.
- Shitty Controls. Mouse lag out the ying yang, forced mouse acceleration on mounted guns (while mounted). Can't aim properly in this game for the life of me and half of it is crappy autoaim.

Salaadin

Davidion said:
Started playing recently and I'm having fun. It's not perfect, but it's entirely enjoyable if you don't nitpick too much.

Pros
- Looks pretty
- Good dumb fun, totally shameless. If you're going to do open world, this looks about right.

Cons
- Holy shitty voice acting. I'm HOPING that it's all an intentional gag.
- Shitty Controls. Mouse lag out the ying yang, forced mouse acceleration on mounted guns (while mounted). Can't aim properly in this game for the life of me and half of it is crappy autoaim.

I dont have mouse lag. Was it SSAO that causes this in some games? Does this game have that options? If so, try turning it off and see if that helps.

I think the story in JC2 was an afterthought. Everything just seems tacked on and only there to lead you to various points where you get to blow more shit up.

Davidion

Salaadin said:
I dont have mouse lag. Was it SSAO that causes this in some games? Does this game have that options? If so, try turning it off and see if that helps.

I think the story in JC2 was an afterthought. Everything just seems tacked on and only there to lead you to various points where you get to blow more shit up.

I've tried killing vsync and SSAO and it still doesn't work. Standing still and moving your mouse gets me noticeable "swing" that's a trademark of mouse lag. This is outside of action scenes.

I agree with your second point, no complaints there. It's just that my central nervous system gets a really bad twitch every time that reaper leader says "Com-raid".

*shudders*

Salaadin

Davidion said:
I've tried killing vsync and SSAO and it still doesn't work. Standing still and moving your mouse gets me noticeable "swing" that's a trademark of mouse lag. This is outside of action scenes.

I agree with your second point, no complaints there. It's just that my central nervous system gets a really bad twitch every time that reaper leader says "Com-raid".

*shudders*

Hmm. Maybe I dont have a knack for noticing such things. No complaints here.

And yeah, voice acting is awful. Probably some of the worst Ive ever heard.

Ataturk

It's strange looking how much people have used cars and motorbikes. I use helicopters and the grappling hook to get around, and hardly ever anything else.

BPK

How does the ps3 version compare to the 360? I felt burned on Black Ops given how badly they gimped Sony version, and I don't want to make the same mistake.

ezekial45

Banned
BPK said:
How does the ps3 version compare to the 360? I felt burned on Black Ops given how badly they gimped Sony version, and I don't want to make the same mistake.
They're pretty much similar, except the ps3 version has video recording capabilities.

The PS3 is the best console version of the game.

Salaadin

chubigans said:
You don't even have to use Youtube...you can save films directly to the XMB.

It made playing the game 10x more enjoyable...about a third of my 30 or so hours playing the game was just doing crazy stuff while the game recorded away, hoping to get some awesome footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faBONV-LEqo

I do the same thing for car stunts :lol I love the sound effect for the flipping and twirling.

GeoramA said:
This game really does not get enough love for it's visuals

100% agreed. Best graphics (among console games, anyway -- I stopped PC-gaming a while ago) this year. Blows AC: Brotherhood out of the water, for example.

RDR is not even in the same ballpark in terms of visuals.

This game doesn't get enough love in general. It does have some gaping holes, though.

Monocle

Deepack said:
Shameless bump, but here it goes.

I finished my JC2 montage.

Check it out and tell me what you think. I'm not really proud of it but I did not feel like working on it anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIwiGmeFF_A
Allow me to highlight this fuckawesome piece of work for anyone who missed it. This is one of my favorite montages of all time, and the amount of montages I've seen is downright inappropriate to mention in polite circles.

Also, thanks for introducing me to M.I.A.

GeoramA said:
This game really does not get enough love for it's visuals. People say RDR looks better, which is just laughable.

The other thing it doesn't enough credit for is PS3 and 360 code that is virtually identical and a PC version that is actually superior to both.

I'm glad other publishers have taken note. They have multiple projects in development.

MassiveAttack said:
I'm glad other publishers have taken note. They have multiple projects in development.

Oh yeah? What are some of more AAAish ones?

I was afraid Just Cause 2's middling sales would cause Avalanche to get out of the business of making big games.

coopolon

Picked this game up in the Steam sale. I had really high hopes for it, figured it would be the game that got me back into sandbox games. It didn't. I just get so bored, and the worst part is traveling. Finished one mission, the next one is 12km away. Hop into a helicopter, and it still was taking forever to get there, so I just quit. I knew traveling always bores me in these games, but I figured in this one it would be more fun with the parachute/grappling hook combo, but it didn't work out the way I planned.

Oh well. Game is gorgeous and plays incredible on the PC, especially considering my aged hardware (4850/e8400), I was playing at 1200p with pretty high settings and 30+ fps the whole time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
coopolon said:
Picked this game up in the Steam sale. I had really high hopes for it, figured it would be the game that got me back into sandbox games. It didn't. I just get so bored, and the worst part is traveling. Finished one mission, the next one is 12km away. Hop into a helicopter, and it still was taking forever to get there, so I just quit. I knew traveling always bores me in these games, but I figured in this one it would be more fun with the parachute/grappling hook combo, but it didn't work out the way I planned.

Oh well. Game is gorgeous and plays incredible on the PC, especially considering my aged hardware (4850/e8400), I was playing at 1200p with pretty high settings and 30+ fps the whole time.

Try not going straight from one mission to the next. Do some other stuff. Explore, cause chaos, do some of the racing challenges, do some faction missions, etc. Eventually you'll end up much closer to where you need to be for the story mission.

As someone who has played JC2 and RDR, I do overall prefer the artsyle of RDR over JC2. JC2 has impressive draw distance and the overall world looks good (so does RDR) but that's all (IMO). The character models are meh and that where RDR shines over JC2 and also RDR is just a better overall game (but to me, they feel like two different types of games).

I still have JC2 on my list of games to buy for my PS3 or 360 but only if I can find it super cheap.

coopolon said:

Eventually you can call in for some fast travel. May only work to places you've been though.

Personally I thought traveling with the parachute and hook was a lot of fun and kind of relaxing in a way, but to each their own.

Stitch

Gold Member
coopolon said:
Picked this game up in the Steam sale. I had really high hopes for it, figured it would be the game that got me back into sandbox games. It didn't. I just get so bored, and the worst part is traveling. Finished one mission, the next one is 12km away. Hop into a helicopter, and it still was taking forever to get there, so I just quit.
just use one of these mods

http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Gameplay/Increased-Grapple-Range--and--Speed/
http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Gameplay/Increased-Grapple-Range-(2-km)/

Blizzard

Banned
Oh hey, it's the official thread! I also picked this game up in the Steam sale, and I really liked what I played of it so far. Just getting into the missions, though. I like being able to grapple all over the place, though I still need to get better at using the parachute. I feel like there should be a more efficient way to kill guards than using the pistol/SMGs from far away. I feel like the auto-aim makes me not get headshots part of the time, and I haven't fully figured out the weapon-swapping/ammo pickup/double fire mechanics. You need to hold both mouse buttons for firing dual-wield weapons, right?

About mouse lag, I think the turret flak cannon thing is intentional, if that's what you mean-- it's supposed to be a really heavy CANNON. You can't just spin that around in an instant.

I do feel like the controls have delay and there is autoaim, but presumably it's intentional, and on normal difficulty I don't think I've died yet (chuted out of the mission zone once though) so it's not a big deal. I noticed that if you're crouching behing cover you can do something like click once to fire, and then after the delay the guy will stand up, take a shot or two, and then duck again. I guess I figured that was intentional.

Other than that, actually moving the mouse and jumping seems reasonable timing-wise, and the controls are generally forgiving enough that they have not been frustrating. I like that there is a lot of stuff to explore and do. And I definitely like that it seems like a good PC game, with multiple save files, good (and smooth) framerate, and, it feels like, very little level loading overall.

I've played this game for 25 hours, found 150 locations, and still have only achieved 33% completion. This game is fucking huge, and now one of my favorite games. The dynamism of combat and exploration are what make this game amazing, plus its really pretty.

legend166

I picked this up in the Steam sale. Can't believe how well it runs on my rig.

Is there a way to change difficulty settings after starting the game? It reminds me of Red Faction Guerilla in the way the combat and enemies just serve to get in the way of the actual fun of the game, in this case destroying things, flying around, messing with the grappling hook and stuff.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, sometimes I hate this game.

*97% at a military base*

*two hours later*

*still 97%*

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING? :lol

Goddamn this game and it's appealing to my OCD side. :lol

Denzar

Monocle said:
Allow me to highlight this fuckawesome piece of work for anyone who missed it. This is one of my favorite montages of all time, and the amount of montages I've seen is downright inappropriate to mention in polite circles.

Also, thanks for introducing me to M.I.A.

Woah, thanks dude!

And you're welcome. :)

52club

Seraphis Cain said:
Man, sometimes I hate this game.

*97% at a military base*

*two hours later*

*still 97%*

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING? :lol

Goddamn this game and it's appealing to my OCD side. :lol

Some might agrue you hate yourself. I hope you get to 100% though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
52club said:
Some might agrue you hate yourself. I hope you get to 100% though.

Oh, I actually finished that base before I even made that post. :lol But yeah, that happens SO often with this game. Guess that's one of the downsides of it being so huge. You really run into the whole "needle in a haystack" situation quite a lot.

Top Bottom