• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Blizzard

Banned
kai3345 said:
As soon as it got done downloading it said "Steam servers are too busy...."

so i restarted and now its saying I can't connect to steam network :(
Try going to your settings and changing your download region, then restart Steam. You can try something far away, like Greenland, or just somewhere else that's not too far away. Hopefully that will help!

kai3345

Banned
Blizzard said:
Try going to your settings and changing your download region, then restart Steam. You can try something far away, like Greenland, or just somewhere else that's not too far away. Hopefully that will help!
i literally can't log in to steam is what i am saying

I can't stop playing this game. I'm 65 hours in, was done with the "story" after 20, and I've just been picking away at the islands getting to 100%.

Just as a bit of an aside, I had a kind of interesting moment of exploration when I visited the northwest island (You know, the one that blows up every plane that tries to land on it). I went there, before the mission that takes you there, and I just explored around. Seeing all the weird towers everywhere, having it constantly rain, and have these crazy guys come out of nowhere trying to kill me was kind of awesome. After getting thoroughly creeped out, I grappled the first flight out of there. I realized how awesome a myst-like game could be with the mechanics of this game. How cool would it be to traverse Myst with a grappling hook.

kai3345

Banned
The Big Rig said:
I can't stop playing this game. I'm 65 hours in, was done with the "story" after 20, and I've just been picking away at the islands getting to 100%.

Just as a bit of an aside, I had a kind of interesting moment of exploration when I visited the northwest island (You know, the one that blows up every plane that tries to land on it). I went there, before the mission that takes you there, and I just explored around. Seeing all the weird towers everywhere, having it constantly rain, and have these crazy guys come out of nowhere trying to kill me was kind of awesome. After getting thoroughly creeped out, I grappled the first flight out of there. I realized how awesome a myst-like game could be with the mechanics of this game. How cool would it be to traverse Myst with a grappling hook.
that island is one big LOST reference apparently

The Big Rig said:
How cool would it be to traverse Myst with a grappling hook.
In my experience most games could benefit from having a grappling hook.

Or a jetpack.

So its been a pretty damn good year for me :lol

Blizzard

Banned
kai3345 said:
i literally can't log in to steam is what i am saying
That's really weird, you should be able to at least connect and get to your games list. You can't play any games at all then? :/ Changing the region once it lets you in might help in the future, hopefully.

I'm looking to download some mods for Just Cause 2 and I haven't been able to access justcause2mods.com for several days now.
I have been able to find a few of the mods I wanted (massive ammo for guns, big triggered explosives, carry-able minigun) but I can't find the one for dual wield-able 2 handed weapons.

I downloaded a pack of mods for the game, so if anyone can just tell me the name of the file (I assume it's a .bin) I would greatly appreciate it.

Salaadin

Theres some other trainers that I saw linked to on a JC2 forum but I dont know if the link is ok to post here. Ill check with a mod.

kai3345

Banned
Im on the car surfing mission right now. Holy shit this game is soo much fun, and I haven't even gotten to the free roam parts yet.:lol

As a person who grew up in South East Asia, I'm simultaneously impressed by the research they did in getting location names and such right, and amused by things like BOLO SANTOSEEEE's hyper-exaggerated accent. :lol

Great game so far!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Someone mind helping me with the title. Bought it and have a generic USB controller to use on my PC. It worked for every other game, but I can't figure out how to get it to work for Just Cause 2. I see the option for 360 controller support, but this is just typical generic 15$ one.

bathala

Banned
shintoki said:
Someone mind helping me with the title. Bought it and have a generic USB controller to use on my PC. It worked for every other game, but I can't figure out how to get it to work for Just Cause 2. I see the option for 360 controller support, but this is just typical generic 15$ one.
Do you have a ps3?

Blizzard

Banned
shintoki said:
If the game doesn't recognize your gamepad and let you reconfigure the controls at all, you might try the XBox 360 controller emulator software. It's at http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4 though it looks like it's been superseded by this: http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=44

Disclaimer, I did not make them and have not used them so I don't know how well they work.

Chris R

This game is so damn insane. Totally having a blast. Only wish the voice acting was better (but it does have a big camp factor going for it now) and the collectables/destructables stood out a bit more. Is there a mod to make the hud arrow show up a little further away? Right now I'm grapleshooting at like 15 feet to find items in the towns/bases.

f0rk

shintoki said:
I do, would that controller work?

Talking Dinosaur: If I use that, it's an outside program to emulate my control into the 360 one right?

Google MotionJoy and you can plug in a DS3.

Awakened

Blizzard said:
If the game doesn't recognize your gamepad and let you reconfigure the controls at all, you might try the XBox 360 controller emulator software. It's at http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=4 though it looks like it's been superseded by this: http://www.tocaedit.com/IB/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=44

Disclaimer, I did not make them and have not used them so I don't know how well they work.
Those are old versions, the new version is easier to set up (and it get's updated quite often): http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

I've been using that to play JC2 with my PS2 usb adapter and it works perfect with rumble and everything. I find myself switching to mouse+keyboard for shooting heavy segments though :p

vocab

Is there anyway to stop the camera recentering every time you are in a vehicle?

I swear when I first played this game, I didn't have this problem.

Seanspeed

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
So apparently the game decided it was going to try to recreate 9/11 while I was playing today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMvpQTtYlgM

(Seriously, that's a pretty unfortunate glitch...:lol )
I had the same thing happen yesterday while I was playing. I'm still pretty new to the game and it was the first time I got to the city. I see a really tall building and I stare at it for a minute just marvelling at it and wondering whether or not I should get to the top of it. "Oh look, there's a plane flying overhead. Wait, that kinda looks a little low. No.......... no way........OH SHIT!!!!!!!"

So yea, this game is freakin ridiculous. SO MANY oh shit moments. Not since San Andreas have I had so much fun just messing around in a game world. I've played Red Dead and Mass Effect 2 this year, but while there's still time, I'm definitely thinking Just Cause 2 is GOTY.

shintoki said:
I do, would that controller work?

Talking Dinosaur: If I use that, it's an outside program to emulate my control into the 360 one right?

No need for an outside program for that. The Motionjoy drivers have a 360 controller emulator built in, just be sure to enable it.

Help me, Gaf, play this game with a goal in mind. I've tried to play it a few times I just end up screwing around for 45 min or so and I end up get no where. What should I be doing to bring some structure to this game?

Felix Lighter said:
Help me, Gaf, play this game with a goal in mind. I've tried to play it a few times I just end up screwing around for 45 min or so and I end up get no where. What should I be doing to bring some structure to this game?
As long as you're blowing shit up, you're always making progress.

Blizzard

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
I seem to recall there are several achievements you can go for, like flying planes under bridges. Or you can try to find the secret balloon and go to the top of the world, or explore the mysterious rainy island. Or you could try to 100% the game finding all secret stuff and/or blowing up everything if you're OCD. Or if you really want structure, just do all the story missions in order, I suppose? :p

Salaadin

RocketDarkness said:
As long as you're blowing shit up, you're always making progress.

Seriously :lol Thats so true.

If you want to follow a certain structure, look at your map (F1 on PC, not sure about consoles) and look for the large badge/star icons. These are typically faction missions and stronghold takeovers and doing them will get you to the "end" of the games main storyline.

Theyre not the best part of the game though. Looking at the map again, find the yellow dots. Theres are all undiscovered areas. Head to them, discover them, and get 100% in them by blowing shit up and finding the hidden equip drops. A little GPS icon appears in the upper left corner by your health when you are near an equip drop.

Green dots on the map are drug drops and crystal skulls which are items randomly strewn about for you to collect.

Mkliner

Felix Lighter said:
Just make your goal "blow shit up" problem solved.

Blizzard

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Alright, I'll keep blowing shit up and going for interesting achievements. Do story missions unlock as you increase your chaos meter?
I'm very early on in the "story", but my impression was that I would need to go to the various gang headquarters to get missions from them. I've been to the first one and gotten a mission to infiltrate some harbor city and let a technician in, for instance. They should show up on your map I'm guessing.

bathala

Banned
got the Bolo Patch mod working.

JustCause22010-12-2922-29-04-55.jpg

the PC mods are well worth the double dip for this game

vocab

Anything I can do to reduce the texture pop in? It's another thing I never noticed when I first played the game, and now it's so obvious.

Davidion

vocab said:
Anything I can do to reduce the texture pop in? It's another thing I never noticed when I first played the game, and now it's so obvious.

Really? On the PC? One of the technical accomplishments of this game that always impressed me was the lack of obvious pop-ins with the exception of maybe a vehicle here and there. I mean, if I tried hard, I could see it, but the draw distance is thoroughly impressive. Maybe I missed something...

Wish I could help, but obviously it's not a problems that I've had with the game.

Chairhome

I rented this game a few months ago and saw my bro play it a bit, wasn't impressed so I didn't play it. Got it during the steam sale... this game is amazing!

vocab

Davidion said:
Really? On the PC? One of the technical accomplishments of this game that always impressed me was the lack of obvious pop-ins with the exception of maybe a vehicle here and there. I mean, if I tried hard, I could see it, but the draw distance is thoroughly impressive. Maybe I missed something...

Wish I could help, but obviously it's not a problems that I've had with the game.

Oh don't get me wrong. The draw distance for the whole world is ridiculous, but objects close to the ground including the grass just seem to pop in randomly.

Bison11

Came super close to buying this on 360 but they didnt have it at the Gamestop I was at and I needed to roll some buy 2 get one free, so I got Metroid Prime 3 instead.

This game is fucking ridiculous. I sat here for 4 hours doing nothing but exploring before my girlfriend came in and watched me go for another 2 (Making suggestions about what to blow up).

Well worth the money.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
what are the best mods for this game? played it about 10 hours so far with no mods, but I think this is the kind of game where mods can be useful (not to "break" the game, mind you, but to do things like add ammo, increase the grapple range, etc, could make it even more awesome, I think.)

Top Bottom