• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Double D

Can someone help me out here? I got the PC version a few weeks back, played it a bit with my 8800 GT, and it actually ran ok. I upgraded to a GTX 465, Ran the game at the same settings that I used with the 8800, and everything was fine, just at a much higher framerate. ANyways, I hit 'Optimal Settings' and everything pretty much gets maxed out. I try to play it and the framerate is like 2FPS. So my issue is that even when I try to reset my settings to even lower settings than before, I'm still getting about 2FPS even in the menus. Help!!

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
Can someone help me out here? I got the PC version a few weeks back, played it a bit with my 8800 GT, and it actually ran ok. I upgraded to a GTX 465, Ran the game at the same settings that I used with the 8800, and everything was fine, just at a much higher framerate. ANyways, I hit 'Optimal Settings' and everything pretty much gets maxed out. I try to play it and the framerate is like 2FPS. So my issue is that even when I try to reset my settings to even lower settings than before, I'm still getting about 2FPS even in the menus. Help!!
If you put everything on the lowest possible is it still 2 FPS? That's odd...

Vik_Vaughn said:
try deleting the setting (old card info may still be in there), should be in

Documents\Square Enix\Just Cause 2\Saves

then manually set them the way you want in the game

Mareg said:
Just came to say that the game is on sale on STEAM. No Excuses !

yep!

Double D

MrTroubleMaker said:
try deleting the setting (old card info may still be in there), should be in

Documents\Square Enix\Just Cause 2\Saves

then manually set them the way you want in the game

yep!

Tried that. No dice. The menus weren't laggy anymore, but the game runs like a dog turd. I dropped everything to the lowest settings. Restarting now so the texture stuff takes effect...

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
Tried that. No dice. The menus weren't laggy anymore, but the game runs like a dog turd. I dropped everything to the lowest settings. Restarting now so the texture stuff takes effect...
Maybe this is a stupid thing to ask, but what OS are you running on, and have you updated to the latest graphics card driver using the nvidia website? Unless your CPU is really old it sounds like you should have no problem using reasonably high settings. Have you used any custom control panel/enhancement utility stuff that might have supersampling, high AA, or some other setting forced on?

Double D

Vista 64. I actually got it running by dropping everything to the lowest settings then restarting. I've been turning things up gradually, but I still feel like I should be running this way better. In fact, I still think the 8800 ran it better. CPU is a Q9300 Quad Core @ 2.5 GHz. Just installed the GTX 465 yesterday and Metro 2033 seems to run fine. I just used the drivers that were on the disc so I'll try updating to the latest now.

Edit: Nvidia control panel doesn't look like it is forcing anything funky

Blizzard

Banned
trinest said:
Would be a great game if it worked instead of "loading" all the time.
I never seemed to see loading times over 5-10 seconds max, even fresh from starting up the game at the menu screen. The lack of loading was one of the things that actually struck me about the game.

If you mean really early on, I remember there were individual loading sections while it switched areas, but that might just be that area. I haven't played enough of the island to know if it streams the terrain or if it freezes you to load occasionally. Anyone else got any input?

And yeah...never use the in-the-box drivers, other poster. I hope the latest ones help!

The only thing that ever breaks the illusion is when you first get to an area where there's supposed to be a helicopter, and then you see one spawn in GTA-style. Other than that, I'm constantly amazed at how amazingly beautiful the game is and how well it runs (on my computer, not to rub it in).

trinest

The Big Rig said:
It usually doesn't do that. The longest load times I've had are never over 5 seconds. Slow hard drive possibly?
Dunno- it loaded up the video thing before the game before but it had no sound then it went into a blank loading screen.

Hasn't even loaded into the game- just sits once you click "new game" and the loading screen. Got the settings on lowest too to check but its still doing it.

Double D

Drivers didn't help all that much really. While I was getting the new drivers, I got an 'OC Scanner' and a 'Precision Tuner' for my card (obviously I'm sure you have established I'm a totally new to this). Core clock was set at 625, but I boosted i t to 800. Playing JC2 has it hovering around 75 degrees, so I'm thinking I can go more?

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
Drivers didn't help all that much really. While I was getting the new drivers, I got an 'OC Scanner' and a 'Precision Tuner' for my card (obviously I'm sure you have established I'm a totally new to this). Core clock was set at 625, but I boosted i t to 800. Playing JC2 has it hovering around 75 degrees, so I'm thinking I can go more?
I still don't think you should have to overclock it, and I don't like my video cards to go much above 70-75C. Bear in mind that IS Celsius, so it's quite hot.

I'm kinda out of ideas -- anyone else have experience with that card? What CPU are you using?

Double D

Blizzard said:
I still don't think you should have to overclock it, and I don't like my video cards to go much above 70-75C. Bear in mind that IS Celsius, so it's quite hot.

I'm kinda out of ideas -- anyone else have experience with that card? What CPU are you using?

Yeah, I won't get carried away with this overclocking nonsense. CPU is Q9300 Quad @ 2.5Ghz. I have 4GB DDR2 ram

Double D

Well, I got it to work. Evidently you can't just go from weakling settings to maxing everything out and expect everything to adjust immediately. If you can, well, that didn't work for me. I gradually worked my way up and have most everything maxed out at 1920x1200 and it runs gloriously. I was getting extremely discouraged last night so I'm glad everything worked out. Thanks again to you guys.

MoFuzz

DualShadow said:
Picked this up in the Steam sale, looking forward to digging into it.

Does it play okay with kb+m ?
Plays great. I prefer it to the 360 pad as it makes headshots a breeze. Make sure to check out the links in the OP for config tweaks, launch options, etc.

Not to say that you can't swap back and forth between pad and M&K for vehicle sections though.

WEGGLES

Strange issue with this game.

When it starts up, at the first screen with the logos on it... the screen flashes slightly as though some adjustments are being made. Ingame it looks fine. When I exit, everything grey is now slightly pink. :lol

Fixed with a restart, but still rather irritating.

What might it be?

i5 750
ATI 5850
4GB memory
Latest drivers (as far as I know).

(The game is gorgeous on the PC, btw. Make the 360 version look like the n64)

Does the BOLO mod in the OP still work?

I'm getting errors whenever I ty and start it.

I tried before I was in-game and said go in game so I go in game then it can't find the process?

Just thought I'd pop in and say that JC2 is by and far my Game of the Year 2010. Everything about the game from the ground up was built around having a good old fashioned FUN time. It's a 16-bit action game for the modern age. Kudos to Avalanche for the effort they put into this gem.

Blizzard

Banned
WEGGLES said:

When it starts up, at the first screen with the logos on it... the screen flashes slightly as though some adjustments are being made. Ingame it looks fine. When I exit, everything grey is now slightly pink. :lol

What might it be?

i5 750
ATI 5850
4GB memory

I'm not sure, but you might give older drivers a shot. I'm not having problems with the 10.10 drivers and a 5850, but I know for a while the AMD drivers had weird issues/driver crashes. Actually, I think even these drivers would crash on me until someone told me to disable Flash hardware acceleration.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All of the DLC seems like cheating stuff - Stronger Guns on the Black Market and stuff that seems that you can unlock. Is any of it worth it, since they're all 50% off on Steam for the xmas deal?

Edit: Meh, I just bought it all. Whatever.. :D

Wallach

WEGGLES said:

What might it be?

i5 750
ATI 5850
4GB memory

It might be that the driver is crashing and reverting you to default settings in CCC, and that on top of that you're running whichever version of 10.10 that had the issue where the color temp was set slightly off by default (which you might not notice in-game since you have no reference but you'd notice on your desktop). Double check your driver version, 10.12 is the latest.

Lkr

I'm going to buy it, but there is a weird overscan issue on the demo. My screen resolution is fine, and this is the only game where I've had an issue like this. Part of the inventory and map are off the screen! I can manage, but hopefully its fixed in the full game.

I'm really enjoying this game so far.

But looks like that BOLO trainer doesn't work anymore with the latest version?

Does anyone know of another trainer?

Salaadin

DualShadow said:
I'm really enjoying this game so far.

But looks like that BOLO trainer doesn't work anymore with the latest version?

Does anyone know of another trainer?

Theres another trainer but I noticed some glitchiness when I was using it. Personally, I stopped using it because Im worried about corrupted saves with it or something.
It was cool though. Everything was hot keyed so you were able to turn things on/off while in game without alt tabbing.

Blizzard

Banned
trinest said:
Ah, that explains it. So I've been melee attacking all this time and getting angry only to forget that to grapple it is a totally different button.
Don't forget that you can hit grapple, shoot a guy with it, point at something else, and then let go so they'll get tied to it (or go flying off into the distance attached to a car, as the case may be).

I felt like such a jerk yesterday when I just went sailing across a huge bay hijacking boats from various innocent natives. :lol

Stupid question...isn't there some sort of locking cover system, where you can stick to a wall behind a corner or duck behind a low obstacle, and then pop out for shots? I couldn't seem to get it to activate if so, and I forgot how to do it.

Salaadin

Blizzard said:
Don't forget that you can hit grapple, shoot a guy with it, point at something else, and then let go so they'll get tied to it (or go flying off into the distance attached to a car, as the case may be).

I felt like such a jerk yesterday when I just went sailing across a huge bay hijacking boats from various innocent natives. :lol

Stupid question...isn't there some sort of locking cover system, where you can stick to a wall behind a corner or duck behind a low obstacle, and then pop out for shots? I couldn't seem to get it to activate if so, and I forgot how to do it.

I dont think there is a cover system. Just Ctrl to crouch and middle mouse for OTS view.

There are so many times playing this where Id die to have FRAPs running. So many awesome things go on when Im not recording.
Yesterday, I come across a village near the beach with an angled patch of dirt nearby. I hijack a speed boat and decide to try and take out a water tower with the speed boat. At full speed, I hit the angled dirt and go flying into the sky WAAAAY above the water tower and just soared so far. I jumped out mid air and watched the boat as it falls, lands on the other side of the village into another body of water and has enough speed to glide across the water, narrowly missing another boat, and then explodes into the docks on the other side.

It was so amazing to see.

Lkr

are there any patches for this game? I don't see any way to update it within Steam, and I can't get any results by googling, so I am going to guess no. I am version 1.0.2 according to the game btw

I'm so glad I gave this game a second chance on PC after trying the demo on 360. (Didn't have a gaming PC then).

So much fun just messing around, don't even need to do the missions :lol

Salaadin

Lkr said:
are there any patches for this game? I don't see any way to update it within Steam, and I can't get any results by googling, so I am going to guess no. I am version 1.0.2 according to the game btw
Steam auto updates for you as long as you have an active internet connection. You're probably current

DualShadow said:
So much fun just messing around, don't even need to do the missions :lol
That's gotta be one of my favorite things about Just Cause 2. I just mess around causing chaos and exploring all the time, and only do the missions when I want a change of pace.

Its the complete opposite of most other open world games where the missions are the "fun" that's been designed for you, that you MUST go through to unlock parts of the game, and the rest of the open world is just there for kicks and collectibles.

NullPointer said:
That's gotta be one of my favorite things about Just Cause 2. I just mess around causing chaos and exploring all the time, and only do the missions when I want a change of pace.

Its the complete opposite of most other open world games where the missions are the "fun" that's been designed for you, that you MUST go through to unlock parts of the game, and the rest of the open world is just there for kicks and collectibles.

Yeah it's funny cause I'll be on my way to a mission and be like 'oh that looks like a nice play to cause chaos' then hours later I've done a few different settlements and still no missions :lol

jambo

:lol :lol :lol Yeah I normally get side tracked for hours and then I'm on the other side of the island blowing shit up or riding an aeroplane :lol

*inserts Just Cause 2 disk, turns on the latest Bombcast*

There is ALWAYS another settlement that needs destro.. I mean, liberating. Yeah, liberating.

Blizzard

Banned
Another silly question...I just noticed the store page says "Experience total aerial freedom with the unique parachute and dual grapple". I know there's the mod that provides infinite grapples, but is there a way to get dual grapples in the vanilla game? :O

dream

Blizzard said:
Another silly question...I just noticed the store page says "Experience total aerial freedom with the unique parachute and dual grapple". I know there's the mod that provides infinite grapples, but is there a way to get dual grapples in the vanilla game? :O

Yep. Grapple onto something and keep the button or key held down while aiming at whatever you want to tether your grappling hook to, then let go.

Blizzard

Banned
dream said:
Yep. Grapple onto something and keep the button or key held down while aiming at whatever you want to tether your grappling hook to, then let go.
Oh, thanks, I knew about that. I thought they meant there was a way to pull yourself towards say, a building, and then fire another grapple to swing to another building, like spiderman doing webslinging.

Ceebs

Blizzard said:
Oh, thanks, I knew about that. I thought they meant there was a way to pull yourself towards say, a building, and then fire another grapple to swing to another building, like spiderman doing webslinging.
You do a sort of reverse Spider-Man with the parachute. You shoot at the ground (or building) to pull yourself along.

kai3345

Banned
As soon as it got done downloading it said "Steam servers are too busy...."

so i restarted and now its saying I can't connect to steam network :(

Top Bottom