• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

Weenerz

Banned
bathala said:
got the Bolo Patch mod working.

JustCause22010-12-2922-29-04-55.jpg

the PC mods are well worth the double dip for this game

How did you get the bolo patch working?

I can not get enough of this game:D

Seriously this game has sucked up all my time this weekend and I've got a huge backlog of games to get through.

got to hand it to them they have done a hell of a job making this game AWESOME.

Last time I felt this way about an open world game was with GTA San Andreas, and thats saying alot.

I really don't know how there going to top what they have done with this with JC3

but GOD DAMN I'm sooooo looking forward to it:D

Pimpbaa

I bought this game twice. Had it on PS3 and some of the DLC, and recently bought it for PC with all the DLC :lol

cramcakes

Ugh, the difficulty spike I'm hitting around 33% done is really turning me off to this. The game was an instant contender for top 10 of all time for me when I could hit 10-12 little camps and enemy bases before they took me down.

Now I dread blowing up a single water tower because I'll be fighting two choppers and twelve guards in literally 8 seconds time.

And I'm only on normal. :(

It's still a great game but this shit is really getting annoying.

I have had so much fun with the demo, but even with the time extends for completing missions, It isn't satifying enough. I think it's finally time to buy the retail game! So am I fine getting the PS3 version or is the 360 version better? PC isn't really an option for me as it would look nicer on consoles compared to my current setup.

Vlodril

How the hell do you use the parachute. I cant get past the starting point. It wants me to land outside a base but whatever i do with the parachute (up, down, left , right) i always fall short..

Aaand managed it five seconds after the post. of course :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
cramcakes said:
Ugh, the difficulty spike I'm hitting around 33% done is really turning me off to this. The game was an instant contender for top 10 of all time for me when I could hit 10-12 little camps and enemy bases before they took me down.

Now I dread blowing up a single water tower because I'll be fighting two choppers and twelve guards in literally 8 seconds time.

And I'm only on normal. :(

It's still a great game but this shit is really getting annoying.

Just run away. Learn to use the hook/chute method to get away quickly and let your heat go down.

Either that or steal a helicopter and fly away.

_dementia said:
I have had so much fun with the demo, but even with the time extends for completing missions, It isn't satifying enough. I think it's finally time to buy the retail game! So am I fine getting the PS3 version or is the 360 version better? PC isn't really an option for me as it would look nicer on consoles compared to my current setup.

PS3 version is actually better, due to the video recording/YouTube uploading option.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
QUESTION

I'm playing this wonderful game again on PS3, but I'm playing on a new PS3 with a save I brought over from my old PS3. When I go to view trophies, it says "there are no trophies". I've tried syncing, is there anything else I can do to recover my trophies, or are they gone forever? It's weird because I can't even look at the trophies.

It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to work towards them since I'm just on Mercenary mode now.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Snuggler said:
QUESTION

I'm playing this wonderful game again on PS3, but I'm playing on a new PS3 with a save I brought over from my old PS3. When I go to view trophies, it says "there are no trophies". I've tried syncing, is there anything else I can do to recover my trophies, or are they gone forever? It's weird because I can't even look at the trophies.

It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to work towards them since I'm just on Mercenary mode now.

I'm pretty sure trophies are tied to your PSN username, not your savefile. Are you playing under the same username you were before?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Seraphis Cain said:
I'm pretty sure trophies are tied to your PSN username, not your savefile. Are you playing under the same username you were before?

Yeah, I am. I actually just earned another trophy, but it still says "there are no trophies". Weird.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Snuggler said:
Yeah, I am. I actually just earned another trophy, but it still says "there are no trophies". Weird.

Hm, that is odd then. I really don't think trophies are tied to a specific PS3 unit, given that you can view your trophy list online via the Playstation website. They've GOT to be tied to your PSN username. Really strange that they aren't showing up for you.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ah, I figured it out. The trophy list was set to "core game/add on" but when I hit square it sorted to "all" and now it shows them.

Problem solved.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Snuggler said:
Ah, I figured it out. The trophy list was set to "core game/add on" but when I hit square it sorted to "all" and now it shows them.

Problem solved.

Ah, excellent. Good to hear. :D

Man, I really need to get back to this. It's my personal GOTY 2010. I'm either just at 50% completion, or really really close to it. Already "beaten" the game, but I need to concentrate on finishing up the Faction Missions now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've played about 44 hours and I'm only at 44% completion. It's pretty ridiculous, I wonder how many people actually managed to 100% the game. I'll probably never make it that far, but I like how you can make cash and work towards that % while just fucking around and wrecking stuff. The game is so much fun.

Grisby

So in lieu of LBP2 and DS2 not being out yet I decided to try out this little game on my sexbox.

Wow, and I thought Crackdown's jumping was the highpoint of sandbox games. Damn, I can already tell free falling isn't going to get old. I'm not far at all, an hour in or so, but the graphics are ridiculous. Specially for this size of a game.

Couple questions though:

1) Does it matter which faction I choose? Am I eventually going to go through all of them or am I just sticking with one?
2) To get cash and make money I just blow shit up right? Anything I want? Anywhere I want?

Fun game. I might not finish it before the heavy hitters start coming out, but I will be making my way back sometime.

Grisby said:
So in lieu of LBP2 and DS2 not being out yet I decided to try out this little game on my sexbox.

Wow, and I thought Crackdown's jumping was the highpoint of sandbox games. Damn, I can already tell free falling isn't going to get old. I'm not far at all, an hour in or so, but the graphics are ridiculous. Specially for this size of a game.

Couple questions though:

1) Does it matter which faction I choose? Am I eventually going to go through all of them or am I just sticking with one?
2) To get cash and make money I just blow shit up right? Anything I want? Anywhere I want?

Fun game. I might not finish it before the heavy hitters start coming out, but I will be making my way back sometime.
1. Nope,you go through them all. They're just like GTA missions, only more awesome.
2. Blow up everything that's red.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jay Shadow said:
This game has replaced puzzle games as my thing to do when I have some time to kill. Just pick a random location and take it over.

I can play this game for abnormality long periods of time. I can go for 3-4 hours at a time without getting bored. I feel like I'm almost making a little bit of progress towards something, even when I'm doing nothing. It's just insanely fun with all the crazy stunts you can do and it's like being in the middle of a crazy action movie. Plus, the game is gorgeous, especially when you're buzzing over Pinauaaua in a badass jet.

On a different note, I finally got around to trying the Air Propulsion Gun and it's awesome. I love standing on a high bridge and blowing cars off the side, it's hilarious. That brings me to me only complaint about this game: I wish I could unlock infinite ammo! I'm done with the story, I'm just having fun now, and it would be so nice to have unlimited ammo for my hijinks.

Also, I run into the same issue in this game that I do in Fallout games. I have a place I want to go...unfortunately there's other stuff along the way and I get distracted by everything. Then I realize I've played 2 hours without going anywhere near where I put my waypoint. I feel like GlaDOS's curiosity core.

Grisby

Passed 10hr mark.

Ran into my first bug. I drove a jeep over a bridge and the car fell right through! I couldn't rappel onto the bridge or anything. I could run through it myself, as well as half the buildings in that area. The geometry existed but the innards weren't there.

After a reload it worked fine, but that was pretty crazy. Funnnnnn game though. I also found the balloon!

Grisby

Finished the main quest at 18 hours. 33.5% completed.

Wow. For a game that I randomly popped in to hold me over till LittleBigPlanet 2 I had an amazing time. The game ran really smoothly on my 360 outside of some loading hiccups and major chaos outings which is impressive, considering the scope of the world.

The game looks great and it seems like every random point I was stopping at allowed me to view a gorgeous vista. Game play and controls were more than competent. I loved hijacking helicopters and jumping from car to car, all while taking dudes out.

Rico's adventure was told poorly and to say this game has a story is generous, even by videogame standards. However, the mission variety (outside stronghold takeovers) more than made up for this fact.

There's too much to gush about, but damn I had a great time. Pretty much the best open world experience I've had out side of Crackdown. I won't forget ejecting out of my plane and free falling serenely back toward those ocean blues.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Finally got the 50% completion trophy, seven months after getting the game.

Man. this game...if this isn't the best value for your money, I don't know what is. I'll be at well over 100 hours by the time I 100% it, if I ever do.

Dries

Ogs said:
PC ! If not an option, the PS3's video recording function may sway your decision.

PC is not an option ;p Also, I don't care about recording features. So basically, on what platform does the game look better? 360 or PS3?

Dries said:
PC is not an option ;p Also, I don't care about recording features. So basically, on what platform does the game look better? 360 or PS3?

Don't know about any graphical differences, but one appealing feature about the 360 is that it's available for Games On Demand. If there's any retail 360 title that's worth having on your hard drive to boot up at any given moment, it's this one.

So I hated the opening of this game but I really like it now I can go do whatever I want and ignore the missions. The world is so freaking big I doubt I'll ever explore it all. I'm thinking about just strategically taking out Panau military bases- is there anything else worth considering doing in the world?

Salaadin

Visualante said:
So I hated the opening of this game but I really like it now I can go do whatever I want and ignore the missions. The world is so freaking big I doubt I'll ever explore it all. I'm thinking about just strategically taking out Panau military bases- is there anything else worth considering doing in the world?

Youll see some race flag icons on the map. The races can be fun sometimes if thats your thing.

Other than blowing shit up and racing, theres not much else. Exploring is fun. For instance, hop in a plane and fly it to the island in the northwest corner of the map.

Salaadin said:
Youll see some race flag icons on the map. The races can be fun sometimes if thats your thing.

Other than blowing shit up and racing, theres not much else. Exploring is fun. For instance, hop in a plane and fly it to the island in the northwest corner of the map.
Yeah I love racing, I'm not sure I'm overly fond of the driving model so far but I'll give it a go.

Dries

So I was just clearing this base and got it to 85%. Saved and loaded, but then the base was back to 31%. Does saving not include settlement progress?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dries said:
So I was just clearing this base and got it to 85%. Saved and loaded, but then the base was back to 31%. Does saving not include settlement progress?

It...should. I don't see why it wouldn't save your progress on a base.

Loudninja said:
Playing Just Cause 2 and loving it, one thing that I don't like me is how expensive weapons are, and no option just to buy ammo.
Once you start completing missions and destroying shit on a massive scale, money is no issue. I think I have around 8 million dollars to buy stuff. That's a lot of tanks falling out of that guy's helicopter.

Loudninja

The Big Rig said:
Once you start completing missions and destroying shit on a massive scale, money is no issue. I think I have around 8 million dollars to buy stuff. That's a lot of tanks falling out of that guy's helicopter.
Yeah I am not really worry :)

Bizzyb

Banned
Not enough people are playing or have played this game. I think it will go down as the best game of 2010 that no one played.

Pimpbaa

Bizzyb said:
Not enough people are playing or have played this game. I think it will go down as the best game of 2010 that no one played.

I liked it so much I bought it twice (first on PS3 and later on PC, including all the DLC).

risk

got this game and still have to play it. Is the open world on par of Crysis or Saints Row 2? Is it a different experience altogether?

Aesius

risk said:
got this game and still have to play it. Is the open world on par of Crysis or Saints Row 2? Is it a different experience altogether?

It's the most open world game of all time. You are free from the instant the game starts to explore any location on the entire map. And getting from point A to point B is a very quick process with the grappling hook+parachute.

PatzCU

Quick technical question for the PC crowd. I just got this on the Steam sale, and I'm loving the shit out of it. Might also be my best game of 2010.

When I select "optimal settings" in video settings menu, it essentially maxes out my graphics. I do have a mid range processor with 4GB ram and an ATI 5750; however, I am still sensing some minor slow down spikes (maybe 20ish fps) and it kind of drives me crazy.

Does anyone know what the 'biggest bang for my buck' would be in lower graphic settings? I am thinking maybe turn shadows down to medium or object detail down to high, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions for turning down settings that would be subtle and net a good performance gain.

Blizzard

Banned
Aesius said:
It's the most open world game of all time. You are free from the instant the game starts to explore any location on the entire map. And getting from point A to point B is a very quick process with the grappling hook+parachute.
This isn't true for the tutorial mission (I'm not sure about other missions). You have to attack a moonlit fortress, and while it's true you CAN leave the area, you will fail the mission and be forced to restart it if you jump off the mountain, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is presumably the exception rather than the rule though, unless you're just limited while in an active mission.

Does anyone know what the 'biggest bang for my buck' would be in lower graphic settings? I am thinking maybe turn shadows down to medium or object detail down to high, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions for turning down settings that would be subtle and net a good performance gain.

I would try turning down shadows. I think I had a weird flickering effect with the shadows on my 5850, so I probably have them down/off. If that doesn't help then anti-aliasing or object detail maybe?

Salaadin

Blizzard said:
This isn't true for the tutorial mission (I'm not sure about other missions). You have to attack a moonlit fortress, and while it's true you CAN leave the area, you will fail the mission and be forced to restart it if you jump off the mountain, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is presumably the exception rather than the rule though, unless you're just limited while in an active mission.

Im pretty sure that youre only limited while in an active mission. The mission range is pretty large though and theres little reason to ever leave the area since a lot of them take place in single areas. There are some racing ones and others where you need to chase down someone/hijack a car but again, theres no real reason to drift off course there either.

Outside of missions, its just open to explore and screw around. And damn does it do a good job at that.

Top Bottom