• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

sn00zer

PatzCU said:
Quick technical question for the PC crowd. I just got this on the Steam sale, and I'm loving the shit out of it. Might also be my best game of 2010.

When I select "optimal settings" in video settings menu, it essentially maxes out my graphics. I do have a mid range processor with 4GB ram and an ATI 5750; however, I am still sensing some minor slow down spikes (maybe 20ish fps) and it kind of drives me crazy.

Does anyone know what the 'biggest bang for my buck' would be in lower graphic settings? I am thinking maybe turn shadows down to medium or object detail down to high, but I was curious if anyone had suggestions for turning down settings that would be subtle and net a good performance gain.
AA and Texture filtering....they are always the last thing I add when messing with settings
IN order of importance for games in my opinion
1.Textures and Object Detail (biggest effect on visuals)
2. Shaders
3. Water Detail
4. Texture filtering (4x is all you "need" but putting higher will not kill fps) (primarily to stop texture pop-in)
5. In game effects (motion blur has the most effect on performance)
6. Shadows (as long as they are there I could care less if they are fuzzy or soft)
7. AA (major fps killer 2x is all you need at HD resolutions)

(1,2,3,5,6) will effect art assets
(4 and 7) technical wankery that does not effect a whole lot (people will tell you different but imo they dont do to much)

PatzCU

Blizzard said:
I would try turning down shadows. I think I had a weird flickering effect with the shadows on my 5850, so I probably have them down/off. If that doesn't help then anti-aliasing or object detail maybe?

Sounds good, I'll give this a whirl. Honestly, shadows have never been a top priority for me in any game.

EDIT: Thanks sn00zer, also great advice!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Stumbled across this, had to share. It's a map of all the spots where the players die, that water is deadly.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm surprised LOST island isn't covered in red. I would think plenty would be die there/commit suicide if they went in too early.

All those sea deaths though. Plus how those drowning deaths from that last stat update the company gave. I just don't get how that is possible.

Rivers of blood is nice.

After all this time I'm still amazed by the small things I find in this game. I decided to fire a rocket in a randomly direction and follow it. ~15 minutes later it finally hits the target. It's amazing that the single rocket didn't disappear or explode once it hit a certain limit. It just kept on going.

george_us

I just beat the mission with the
100 year-old Japanese vets.
Haha god damn this game is so bizarre and amazing. It's currently tied with Red Dead Redemption for best sandbox game of the generation.

Edit: Also, I played the game for nearly 8 hours straight and 10 hours overall just today.

I think I screwed myself. I am trying to complete a faction mission where I need to take down an
off shore oil platform
. I can get it up to about 75% damage but can't seem to find anything else to destroy to get it the rest of the way.

Before I took on this mission I had previously attacked one of these structures while just screwing around and it could be the same one that is required for the mission. I am wondering if blowing things up there before has thrown off the count so that I won't be able to complete the mission. Anyone else run into something similar?

Chris R

Completed the story, going for a large completion percent now... I asked earlier but nobody responded so I'll ask again.

Is there a way to increase the range on the upgrade finder, as well as maybe a mod to strongly indicate which shit to blow up to 100% places? PC Mods of course.

rhfb said:
Completed the story, going for a large completion percent now... I asked earlier but nobody responded so I'll ask again.

Is there a way to increase the range on the upgrade finder, as well as maybe a mod to strongly indicate which shit to blow up to 100% places? PC Mods of course.
I quickly looked though http://www.justcause2mods.com/ and didn't find any. I don't know if anyone did mods like that. All I used was the bolo trainer for upgrades and stuff.

crispyben

mentalward said:
I think I screwed myself. I am trying to complete a faction mission where I need to take down an
off shore oil platform
. I can get it up to about 75% damage but can't seem to find anything else to destroy to get it the rest of the way.

Before I took on this mission I had previously attacked one of these structures while just screwing around and it could be the same one that is required for the mission. I am wondering if blowing things up there before has thrown off the count so that I won't be able to complete the mission. Anyone else run into something similar?
That sounds sadly familiar from the launch window... I don't remember a fix about it either :(

FerranMG

After getting a bit intoxicated by the good opinion people have of this game in this thread, I finally gave it a go a couple of weeks ago. (360)

I played around 10 hours, and stopped and left completely unimpressed.

Ok, the game's big, I won't deny it, and good looking for a sandbox game.

But everything else is average.
Combat kinda sucks (both shooting and melee), driving is just ok, the mission structure I thought it was boring...

Oh, well, the grappling hook and parachute mechanics work well.

But after 10 hours I grew tired of doing the same again and again.
Go to a place, parachute and hook all around the place killing everyone and blowing everything up.
Rinse and repeat.

If you die, use the black market merchant to move around, or get a vehicle and drive/fly for 15 fucking minutes until you reach destination.
The map being so big became a con, rather than a pro after having to travel around it for so long.

And I almost forget about it: the story is so ridicuolous, so absurd, so badly written and so annyoing...
Mind you, I'm not one usually caring for such things.
But in this case, it's so exceptionally bad that it blew my mind how someone can even write (or conceive!) something as awful as that.

I have to say I started playing pretty excited, but I had played Crackdown 2 just a month before, and the core mechanics work so, so much better.

I am disappoint. :(

crispyben said:
That sounds sadly familiar from the launch window... I don't remember a fix about it either :(

Thought that might be the case. Was hoping that I was just missing something on the rig but after spending an hour running around it I can't imagine what I could be missing. Oh well, I guess I don't need to complete all the faction missions to complete the game (I hope).

Thanks for the reply.

crispyben

mentalward said:
Thought that might be the case. Was hoping that I was just missing something on the rig but after spending an hour running around it I can't imagine what I could be missing. Oh well, I guess I don't need to complete all the faction missions to complete the game (I hope).

Thanks for the reply.
Nah, just the story missions which have different icons and unlock by causing x amounts of chaos :)

Binabik15

I´m installing right now.

I hope this game wins me over. I played the PS3 demo, deleted it. Decided to buy on pc for 6 pounds, then dl´d the steam demo and deleted it. ORder was already shipped and sending back to the UK isn´t worth the hassle.

Is it me or dows this play like shit with kb+m? Shooting didn´t feel good. Should I tweak mouse settings or simply plug in my 360 controller?

Oh, and how the hell do you do that constant grappling the ground while parachuting move, I hooked the ground, flew up, hooked it again but got pulled in instead of gliding?

I thought the kbm controls were great. I imagine they could only be better than the 360 or PS3's controls.

To all those unimpressed: This is a very dividing game. I can't expect everyone to love it as much as I did. Of course the story is terrible, but I don't believe that was one of the selling points for this game. I mean, it has disappearing ninjas and flying on top of nuclear missiles.

Salaadin

Anyone ever run into this issue?

Last night, JC2 was running choppy for some reason. Its odd because I normally have a smooth 60FPS. A few mins later, the game crashed. The Event Log shows this:

Faulting application name: JustCause2.exe, version: 1.0.0.2, time stamp: 0x4c1b5791
Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.4940, time stamp: 0x4ca2b271
Exception code: 0xc000000d
Fault offset: 0x00008aa0
Faulting process id: 0x68c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbe2b6ca647d04
Faulting application path: d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\just cause 2\JustCause2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4940_none_d08cc06a442b34fc\MSVCR80.dll
Report Id: bb841e95-4eab-11e0-ae96-00241dc187ac

I tried it again today and there were so crashes but the game performance is still shitty. I tried re-running vcredist in the JC2 steam folder but that didnt do anything. Im currently verifying steam files and then ill defrag the game cache and try again. Any other ideas?

Chris R

So quick question about mods. Do they work with the Steam version of the game? Also, if they do, does it affect in any way the Steam achievements?

Just started playing again on Hardcore, after getting to like 20% on normal. Going for 75% this time though... should be fun.

InertiaXr

rhfb said:
So quick question about mods. Do they work with the Steam version of the game? Also, if they do, does it affect in any way the Steam achievements?

Just started playing again on Hardcore, after getting to like 20% on normal. Going for 75% this time though... should be fun.

Yes mods work with Steam version, and no they do not affect achievements. I have the Steam version and used a unlimited ammo mod, and got achievements with no issues.

Chris R

Exactly the mod I was going to use. It sucked having a gun with full ammo, only to use it all trying to clear out a base, only to come upon enemies not using the same types of weapons, constantly juggling weapons while being shot at. Good to hear. Might also get a mod to add like 25 yards to the grapple too while I'm at it. Other than that the only thing I would want is a directional arrow to the next pickup/destructible :)

heyf00L

Salaadin said:
Anyone ever run into this issue?

Last night, JC2 was running choppy for some reason. Its odd because I normally have a smooth 60FPS. A few mins later, the game crashed. The Event Log shows this:

I tried it again today and there were so crashes but the game performance is still shitty. I tried re-running vcredist in the JC2 steam folder but that didnt do anything. Im currently verifying steam files and then ill defrag the game cache and try again. Any other ideas?
Might need to reinstall Visual C++ runtime. Have you installed another game recently? Sometimes when a game installs a different version of that or DirectX it will mess things up.

Also, I just noticed that only 14.9% of people that own the game on Steam have beaten it. What gives? Possibly more shocking is that not even 90% have caused Chaos (which basically means 10% of people that own the game have never played it). Common!

Sanic

Is there any kind of performance tweaking that can be done on the PC version, outside of the options in-game? Some Google searching suggests no, but I would really like to increase the foliage draw distance.

diffusionx

Gold Member
heyf00L said:
Might need to reinstall Visual C++ runtime. Have you installed another game recently? Sometimes when a game installs a different version of that or DirectX it will mess things up.

Also, I just noticed that only 14.9% of people that own the game on Steam have beaten it. What gives? Possibly more shocking is that not even 90% have caused Chaos (which basically means 10% of people that own the game have never played it). Common!

I've dropped 30 hours in the game (more than about 90% of games I play) and only did 2 story missions. I'll beat it eventually but even if I never touch it again I still got my money's worth by any measure.

I get that urge to play it every time I see it on my DVD shelf.

Salaadin

heyf00L said:

I forgot I even had issues, sorry. Thanks for the reply.
I tried that at the time but it didnt work. It ended up being fine after I defragged the game cache in steam. Go figure.

diffusionx said:
I've dropped 30 hours in the game (more than about 90% of games I play) and only did 2 story missions. I'll beat it eventually but even if I never touch it again I still got my money's worth by any measure.

I get that urge to play it every time I see it on my DVD shelf.

I play the same way. Im 67 hours in, 65% done with tons of story icons just sitting on the map. Im attracted to every yellow and green dot in this game and cant stand it when I see a discovered location that isnt 100% complete so I spend a lot of time just fast travelling to each area that Im not done with and discovering the new ones.

Game never gets old.

Salaadin

rhfb said:
What else does bolo offer? Does it work with steam?

Infinite Health
Infinite Ammo
Strong Rope
Multiple Ropes
Invisible Crosshair

It also worked with Steam.

Right now, you have to downgrade your .exe to an earlier version in order for BOLO to work right. The BOLO patch devs are working on an updated version for current JC2, though. Im waiting until thats out before giving it another go. Its a great mod.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So so LTTP: But I'm in love with this game. It's probably the first sandbox this generation to have me in a stupid grin while playing it.

Hell, it's probably the first "massive" world to not feel like a chore to explore. Fallout/Oblivion did nothing for me like Morrowind did last generation, here this is bigger than Morrowind (and hell bigger than GTA SA) and doesn't feel as slow/bothersome to explore. Nice.

Though it seems the game restricts you to the first island/story island from the get-go, which is a bit of a shame as I just want to blow off the missions and go explore everything on the island.

Chao

Picked up this game dirty cheap, PS3 version. It's awesome, so much better than JC1. I love how you can go anywhere, anytime, and the "emergent gameplay". You're flying over some island and then you notice a little military base and you think "there's a good chance they have a badass jet there". You land, kill some motherfuckers and bingo, you got yourself a badass jet.

Graphics/performance are insane btw

Alivor

I remember hearing good things about this game, and I walked in to Gamestop tonight. Saw it on sale for 20 bucks and picked it up. Money well spent?

Tawpgun

So...

You have to beat the game/progress far enough in order to unlock the whole map?

Fine, whatever. How long will that take?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
A27 Tawpgun said:
So...

Um...

You can go anywhere you want after you complete the first mission.

EDIT: Er, well, second mission I think, actually. Still, less than an hour after you start, you have access to the entire world.

A27 Tawpgun said:
So...

If there is any area of the map that requires progressing past the first couple missions, I haven't found it yet. Besides, the maps so big in the 40 hours I played the game I maybe visited half the locations on it. You will have more then enough space to explore.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
A27 Tawpgun said:
So...

You do a couple missions at the start and then the whole map is pretty much unlocked. Took me less than an hour. I didn't even do the second story mission until I already had about a 30% completion rate from running around everywhere.

Top Bottom