• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ugh, I don't like the sound of that. Do you have to just complete the challenges to unlock the gear/abilities, or do you need to get a high rating on the challenge as well?

Yea you get 1 to 5 gears based on your performance.

I hope you like flying through rings Superman 64 style.

McNum

How is the ratio between Gears available from challenges and Gears required to unlock everything. Do you need ALL the Gears, or is 3-4 per challenge plenty?

ironcreed

Banned
How is the ratio between Gears available from challenges and Gears required to unlock everything. Do you need ALL the Gears, or is 3-4 per challenge plenty?

So far like 3 is the requirement. But I am sure there are harder challenges.

Brizzo24

I picked up a PS4 copy last night at 9pm, at Gamestop, during their "release party." I did this even after reading reviews, impressions here on GAF, visiting metacritic, etc. Thing is, I haven't opened my copy yet because I'm still on the fence. I really enjoyed JC2 -- to the point I feel I might've played it too much. I'm worried I got my aerial fix and thus don't need to plunk down the $60 for a wing suit and improved visuals. I can just as easily rent the game on Redbox for 3 bucks a day. And if the game goes on sale later I could always pick it up, or buy it used later down the road.

What are you playing on??

PS4

Maybe it is just you. It is not Forza Horizon (nor do I need it to be), but it sure as hell is not like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7mExQETbEo

For a more accurate comparison, I would say that it is better than something like Sleeping Dogs. Which is another game I love dearly, btw.

Sleeping Dogs is great! Hmm, yeah maybe I just suck, lol.

Haven't you played Project Cars on Bone? LULZ

In any case this is simply not true, DP was much better (satire).

Don' t make fun of DP :p

After I forced myself to play this game for three hours it's starting to make fun. I think the biggest problem is that you have to do challenges to unlock the great stuff. I skipped the story missions and the game gets better.

If you prefer Burnout to Gran Turismo and Saints Row over Grand Theft Auto then I believe you will enjoy the crap out of this game. It is straight up arcade from top to bottom. Not much sim to be found here.

Farks!

Why are people complaining about the story? I think it's pretty damn apperant that it's deliberately campy and of B-movie quality, because that's what fits with the over the top gameplay. A "serious" story would only look silly and pretentious in the context of a game like this.

ironcreed

Banned
Why are people complaining about the story? I think it's pretty damn apperant that it's deliberately campy and of B-movie quality, because that's what fits with the over the top gameplay. A "serious" story would only look silly and pretentious in the context of a game like this.

It is actually far more enjoyable than the Bolo Santosi shit featured in JC2. As in I am actually getting some enjoyment out of the humor and characters like Mario.

Chris R

I'm wondering how many people who don't like the story are new to the series? If you played JC2 and expected anything other than B-movie camp I don't know what to say. I mean just look at how JC2 ended.

NotLiquid

True enough. It's things like a serious story that ruins games like Prototype to me, a game where for all intents and purposes the game was designed to be a completely wacky fuck-em-up simulator but because of the brooding, gritty story there was such a massive disconnect that made it awkward to play. I'm kind of happy that Saints Row IV ended up being a sort of antithetsis to that game if only so I could play a version of it that had it's tongue in it's cheek and reveled the real insanity of itself.

JC3's boisterous personalities are fairly easy to like, even if the story is somewhat naff. I enjoy it a bit more than JC2 in that regard since they make the setting a little bit more personable to the main protagonist.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm wondering how many people who don't like the story are new to the series? If you played JC2 and expected anything other than B-movie camp I don't know what to say. I mean just look at how JC2 ended.

And in that regard, it is actually not half bad. The voice acting is good, some of the characters are very likable and it is genuinely funny. But anyone expecting The Witcher 3 or GTA level writing needs to check their expectations. Not what this game is about.

SJRB

Gold Member
Spent a lot of time exploring the second region [Dracon?], really loving it. I think overall they absolutely nailed the geography in this game. The setting is so fresh, and it actually FEELS like a real place, the way the land is structured and how the villages are built.

uthFlys.jpg

The verticality, the forest area, really loving it.

Made a sad error in judgment and ended up in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle. Suddenly a nice ruin appeared in the middle of the forest.

Also, walking through the forest on this mountainside suddenly got me really excited for Ghost Recon Wildlands, haha.

Next up - searching if there really isn't a single village in the entire snow region. Or ski resort. Or hotel. Or any kind of civilian life. Because the third region might be the biggest by far, from the looks it's also the most empty.

ironcreed

Banned
Spent a lot of time exploring the second region [Dracon?], really loving it. I think overall they absolutely nailed the geography in this game. The setting is so fresh, and it actually FEELS like a real place, the way the land is structured and how the villages are built.

The verticality, the forest area, really loving it.

Made a sad error in judgment and ended up in the middle of nowhere without a vehicle. Suddenly a nice ruin appeared in the middle of the forest.

Also, walking through the forest on this mountainside suddenly got me really excited for Ghost Recon Wildlands, haha.

Next up - searching if there really isn't a single village in the entire snow region. Or ski resort. Or hotel. Or any kind of civilian life. Because the third region might be the biggest by far, from the looks it's also the most empty.

Very nice. Can't wait to get out into the world more myself. And holy shit is it ever big.

idonteven

ever since the game released it takes me 10-15 min to start up the game because it keeps logging in... had no problems before the release

even going for much longer now... i cant even start the game up cuz of the logging in

zeox

Played for a little over an hour just now and had to quit because my head was spinning due to the insanely low FOV :(. Other than that, the game is really fun. Just wish the driving wasn't... you kow, absolutely terrible

mabec

Just (be)cause i played JC2 for hundred of hours i bought this without blinking, without thinking. Turned out its a mediocre title, at best. To be fair i have only played the first hour or so, which is nothing but a long tutorial. But the controlls are awkward and the engine itself feels like something from the Playstation 2-era, with pasted effectets on top.

6/10 (so far)

SJRB

Gold Member
ever since the game released it takes me 10-15 min to start up the game because it keeps logging in... had no problems before the release

even going for much longer now... i cant even start the game up cuz of the logging in

Just disconnect your console from the internet. It's garbage, but it's the only way to "fix" the issue.

I tried connecting a few hours ago, was immediately greeted with literally 20 pop-up messages of random people who broke my personal record for all the stupid shit this game keeps track of. I didn't know any of these people either. I mean, I understand the concept of showing the stats from people in your friends list, but complete strangers? I don't give a fuck.

Just (be)cause i played JC2 for hundred of hours i bought this without blinking, without thinking. Turned out its a mediocre title, at best. To be fair i have only played the first hour or so, which is nothing but a long tutorial. But the controlls are awkward and the engine itself feels like something from the Playstation 2-era, with pasted effectets on top.

6/10 (so far)

First parts definately give a bad first impression. Keep going, the proper "Just Cause" feel will come.

v1ncelis

6/10 (so far)
Thing is I had same feelings towards Just Cause 2. Tried couple times to get into and I just didn't liked. Finally few months later I turned game back on and I had a blast! Needed a time to get used to driving physics but overal it ended one of the best games I ever played. Even got platinum.
Talking about platinum I saw there's 100% completion trophy - holy crap, even that 75% trophy from JC2 took me ages to achieve.

NotLiquid

After wreaking havoc on a settlement and freeing it, I hightailed towards the ocean like I was a comic book hero looking for the next adventure. After spotting a speedboat I opened up my parachute to ensure a smooth landing with my grapple and hijacked it from the poor driver who hopefully knows his sacrifice was for the greater good. In the distance I spotted another statue of that asshole general and conveniently enough there was a staircase that made for a convenient ramp. Realizing what must be done, I drove towards it at full speed hoping the staircase would give enough air so I can crash straight into it. Unfortunately I didn't gain quite enough height, only chipping the bottom of the base with the speedboat now on wrecked on dry land I figured I'd go for the next best thing - tether the boat with the statue. The speedboat snuggled up nicely with the statue until it went off with a big boom. Mission success.

I love this game.

brau

After wreaking havoc on a settlement and freeing it, I hightailed towards the ocean like I was a comic book hero looking for the next adventure. After spotting a speedboat I opened up my parachute to ensure a smooth landing with my grapple and hijacked it from the poor driver who hopefully knows his sacrifice was for the greater good. In the distance I spotted another statue of that asshole general and conveniently enough there was a staircase that made for a convenient ramp. Realizing what must be done, I drove towards it at full speed hoping the staircase would give enough air so I can crash straight into it. Unfortunately I didn't gain quite enough height, only chipping the bottom of the base with the speedboat now on wrecked on dry land I figured I'd go for the next best thing - tether the boat with the statue. The speedboat snuggled up nicely with the statue until it went off with a big boom. Mission success.

I love this game.

LOL. This is how i feel. But after i liberate an area i tend to play around with the gadgets and cause trouble. Good times. Can't wait to unlock more stuff. I dunn wanna be at work today ~_~

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

For starters, Rico's voice actor is much weaker this time. I haven't progressed much but from what I understand it doesn't really have NY memorable characters like the 2nd one did.

brau

How do you get on the roof of cars, jets and planes (when driving)?

Y or Triangle i believe.

The same button you use to get into them.

For starters, Rico's voice actor is much weaker this time. I haven't progressed much but from what I understand it doesn't really have NY memorable characters like the 2nd one did.

i do miss the original actor. Also, i never knew Rico was Italian. Is he really? I always thought he was spanish or something. Am i missing something?

I really don't understand the map screen at all. I have 4 different regions that are one or two settlements away from being liberated but there is nothing on the map showing these areas. There will be like three towns and maybe a military base, I clear all those, and then it still says I need to liberate one more settlement in the zone to complete the area and there are no more spots on the map that could possibly be a settlement of military base.

Like, where in this little area is there supposed to be another settlement to liberate?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really don't understand the map screen at all. I have 4 different regions that are one or two settlements away from being liberated but there is nothing on the map showing these areas. There will be like three towns and maybe a military base, I clear all those, and then it still says I need to liberate one more settlement in the zone to complete the area and there are no more spots on the map that could possibly be a settlement of military base.

Like, where in this little area is there supposed to be another settlement to liberate?

Settlements and bases don't show up on the map until you discover them. Explore around the province more, especially around areas on the map that look like they should have something there (crossroads, grey building outlines, etc). Sometimes they are smaller outposts.

A great way to quickly survey a province is with a helicopter.

SJRB

Gold Member

There are also small military outposts scattered around, they usually have one building and like 4 destructable objects. General rule of thumb is basically to just visit every light-grey silhouetted area.

But yeah, the map is pretty bad at actually pointing out specific stuff.

Settlements and bases don't show up on the map until you discover them. Explore around the province more, especially around areas on the map that look like they should have something there (crossroads, grey building outlines, etc). Sometimes they are smaller outposts.

A great way to quickly survey a province is with a helicopter.

Oh, ok then that's interesting. Thanks for the tip. It's really weird and annoying that they don't just show you where all required settlements are.

danowat

Banned
Oh, ok then that's interesting. Thanks for the tip. It's really weird and annoying that they don't just show you where all required settlements are.

It was the same in JC2, you can't see them on the map till you discover them.

The challenges and missions tend to have routes that mean you discover new settlements.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I haven't found a single shooting gallery and have played like 5 hours and liberated a lot of the map. Where are they? I really want the option to aim my guns lol

Welp, PC port is an absolute bust.

I'd recommend everyone planning on picking it up on PC to strongly reconsider. Unplayable due to micro-stutter and I'm running on a GTX 980.

RAIDEN1

So from the sounds of it, this game is probably worth purchasing 2nd hand of e-bay or something? As it seems it doesn't seem to be a game worthy of the full-price tag its asking due to its repetitiveness, and in-engine problems???

Top Bottom