• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

Still having tons of fun with this, but the loading times and shitty frame rate is starting to dampen my enthusiasm somewhat. I think the graphics are fine, but they really need to sort the performance out otherwise I can see this getting too frustrating.

Still having tons of fun with this, but the loading times and shitty frame rate is starting to dampen my enthusiasm somewhat. I think the graphics are fine, but they really need to sort the performance out otherwise I can see this getting too frustrating.

Digital Foundry should have waited with the article. The PS4 version is definitely worse than 24 FPS.

Digital Foundry should have waited with the article. The PS4 version is definitely worse than 24 FPS.

I'm on Xbox and the drops are dreadful in certain areas. Doesn't make sense sometimes though, as it can hold up well during big explosions then drops to single figures when I'm walking around in one of the towns.

brau

I think I hit a 5 minute load time restarting a challenge...

Holy cow. what are you playing on?

I stand by my purchase of a hybrid drive for my ps4. It really does help with load times on console. On PC i have not had any load times that long.

J_Viper

That's what's making my decision tough. 12 hours of excellent polished fast-loading linear gameplay versus potentially dozens of hours goofing off and blowing stuff up in a less polished sometimes-slow-loading open world.
Honestly man, I know the feeling of having credit burning a hole in your digital wallet is tough, but it may just be best to hold off on either game.

Again, TR is a great ride, with some of the best set pieces you'll find on that console, but I just don't think having it digitally is a wise move.

As far as JC3 goes, it seems like a general disappointment. I actually had refund submitted on my ps4 digital pre-order.

NotLiquid

Tethering a boat onto land in order to get it into a garage that lacks sea storage.

The Little Things in Just Cause™

Karak

Played this some after showing a couple friends and the more I think about it the more I think this game is held back so much by the single player story and mission setup and unlocks and would have been better at say 30-40 bucks and MP only.

I was flying in my last wingsuit last night and looked beside me as I went under a bridge and all I could think is...man I wish someone was here with me. The number of amazing things you could do in this title with MP and removing the SP weird progression would have been so awesome.

brau

Played this some after showing a couple friends and the more I think about it the more I think this game is held back so much by the single player story and mission setup and unlocks.

I was flying in my wingsuit and looked beside me as I went under a bridge and all I could think is...man I wish someone was here with me. The number of amazing things you could do in this title with MP and removing the SP weird progression would have been so awesome.

Just wait for mods to add multiplayer later down the line. JC2 multiplayer mod was some serious fun.

This went from being "sure thing, how could it go wrong" to my trying to find out how long Best Buy's return policy is, in case Avalanche drops some patches or, uh, not.

Guess it's a good thing I got Mad Max during the BF sale. Never would have imagined it would be the better received of the two.

To stay on topic - how is the wingsuit? That's maybe my #1 interest in this game, oddly enough. Traversal in stuff like Spider-Man 2 or Gat Out of Hell goes a long way with me.

This is going to sound like a weird question and it's hard to word, but if you are playing the game on Xbox One I'd appreciate it if you could reply.

My question is:

When you use the grappling hook and its tether option, via the LB button, do you notice that the vibration at the left bumper/trigger area of the controller is a bit weird? Mine will buzz when I do that, then make a clicking noise, and it does this each time. It's like it buzzes, clicks and stops, then does it again.

I'm wondering if my rumble motor on my controller is defective.

Its a mess on both platforms...i was playing with my son on his ps4 earlier and once you start using the tether and chain some explosions it goes to crap.....the bone versio n appears to have the same issues but not in the exact areas from what i can see.

Finding it really hard to justify buying the ps4 versions of multiplats when they are only marginally better....i can get the bone versions of the games cheaper...i can stream it to anywhere in my house and i can use a better controller.

Tainted

Holy Jesus, thanks!!

On reading about it though, dont get too excited just yet. Even though Nvidia added a SLI profile for it, Bethesda may need to release a patch to support SLI as well before you can utilise both cards. Anyway, this isnt on topic, head over to the FO4 pc performance thread, as there are ppl over there talking about it.

Liberated my first town, Manaea and I'm really enjoying the game so far. Tethering one dude to another dude and having them crash into eachother is way too satisfying.

Also been playing on PS4. Haven't experienced a single issue yet. Of course I also had zero issues with Fallout 4 so I'm in the lucky minority I guess.

Karak

Just wait for mods to add multiplayer later down the line. JC2 multiplayer mod was some serious fun.

Thats not the point. I am talking about the game itself. From its very genesis until its release and what they could have done.

danowat

Banned
Its a mess on both platforms...i was playing with my son on his ps4 earlier and once you start using the tether and chain some explosions it goes to crap.....the bone versio n appears to have the same issues but not in the exact areas from what i can see.

Finding it really hard to justify buying the ps4 versions of multiplats when they are only marginally better....i can get the bone versions of the games cheaper...i can stream it to anywhere in my house and i can use a better controller.

Not sure I call 1080p over 900p and around 5fps more marginal, but I guess it's subjective.

This is going to sound like a weird question and it's hard to word, but if you are playing the game on Xbox One I'd appreciate it if you could reply.

My question is:

When you use the grappling hook and its tether option, via the LB button, do you notice that the vibration at the left bumper/trigger area of the controller is a bit weird? Mine will buzz when I do that, then make a clicking noise, and it does this each time. It's like it buzzes, clicks and stops, then does it again.

I'm wondering if my rumble motor on my controller is defective.

Doesn't happen with my controller, although I'll double check when I play later.

jon_dojah

Banned

Cool about SLI support but no 3D? :(

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/just-cause3

Just Cause 2 has 3DVision AND 3DVision Surround support:

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/just-cause2

Its the main thing I wanted in JC3. I played the whole JC2 in 3D and its probably my favorite game w/ stereoscopic 3D ever. Its the closest to a VR experience I've had on a TV screen (720p 60fps on a 73" set) and what kept me going back to it for mindless fun even after the game was many years old. What a huge step backwards. Hopefully it gets patched/modded in later like some PC games have in the past.

If not I'll wait for a sale and stick with JC2 for now.

Karak

Honestly have double digit time spent now with both console versions. It is hard to guess just how low it goes but it is most definitely below 24 for sure ya.
Hoping for that godpatch

Played a couple of hours so far. Absolutely love it. It's just cause 2 with a case of steroid abuse. The wingsuit is amazing once you get the hang of it and the destruction is even more fun than before. Cant wait to see MP modded into this!

Playing on PC BTW (gtx 970, 4690k, 16gb RAM, SSD) and performance is great. Holding a solid 60fps at 1080p with high settings. load times are a bit shit though, even from the SSD.

brau

Played a couple of hours so far. Absolutely love it. It's just cause 2 with a case of steroid abuse. The wingsuit is amazing once you get the hang of it and the destruction is even more fun than before. Cant wait to see MP modded into this!

Playing on PC BTW (gtx 970, 4690k, 16gb RAM, SSD) and performance is great. Holding a solid 60fps at 1080p with high settings. load times are a bit shit though, even from the SSD.

You get it. Mods add ons are a perk.

I wonder if updates will reduce the loading times.

Also, i really like the leaderboards showing up in real time. I actually pay attention to them and sometimes just go out of my way to climb the leaderboard. lol Specially when i see friends playing.

matmanx1

My buddy and I in the office here just watched a little bit of Jim Sterling playing JC3 and we pretty much giggled like maniacs through the whole bit. I've got the game downloaded at home on my PC but won't be able to mess around with it tonight so I'm living vicariously through videos of other people playing.

There are some absolutely hilarious things that you can do with the wingsuit, the parachute and the multiple tethers. I can't wait to see what kind of goofy destruction I can cause.

Ardenyal

I can't seem to be able to take off with a plane.

Just holding R2 gets me to 30kph. Holding R2 and L2 takes me to 70kph... braking makes me go faster, wtf. Still not enough to take off though.

Edit:
Got off ground by going off a cliff. I can't use the nitrous now... great.

Edit2:
Ugh. I have to squeeze the R2 with white knuckles to get nitrous.

Durden77

I'm seeing more issues today. When blowing up a big town, the framerate dipped a lot. Not enough to screw me up but it's dissapointing. The load times are just weird too. Sometimes they're like 2 minutes, other times they're like 8 seconds. This is all stuff that I think could hopefully be fixed in a patch.

The game is so fucking fun though. I'm having a fucking blast. The most surprising thing is the soundtrack. It's fucking sick.

brau

I'm seeing more issues today. When blowing up a big town, the framerate dipped a lot. Not enough to screw me up but it's dissapointing. The load times are just weird too. Sometimes they're like 2 minutes, other times they're like 8 seconds. This is all stuff that I think could hopefully be fixed in a patch.

The game is so fucking fun though. I'm having a fucking blast. The most surprising thing is the soundtrack. It's fucking sick.

I like the ost. is it available anywhere yet?

oh boy. Didn't know Henry Jackman was behind the ost. No wonder its good. guy has a crazy good record. I look forward to his work in Uncharted 4.

NotLiquid

Henry Jackman doing the score was such a massive surprise when the opening credits rolled. The music in this game is really good.

Henry Jackman doing the score was such a massive surprise when the opening credits rolled. The music in this game is really good.

Definitely. They nailed the feel of the game. Even the sounds themselves are really well done too.

Hopefully they'll be able to push the performance up with a few patches, because it's a shame to have to fight off stuttering when you're in the middle of a base and everything's going off around you. The game definitely needs a stable framerate to shine.

Salvatron

Last night it crashed on me twice in my initial play-through of the beginning portion. I then did the nvidia geforce experience optimization thing and finally worked with no issues. Getting solid 60fps. Hoping the updated drivers improve the "blurring" a bit. Seems like characters have a slight echo effect going on. More evident during in-game cut scenes. Anyone else notice?

My base specs:
Win 8.1
MSI X99S Gaming 9 Ack
i7-5960X
Titan X 12GB Superclocked
32GB DDR4
SSDs only

Getting the new nvidia drivers tonight.

Really digging the constant leaderboard updates but it's hard to tell where I fall in the overall world rankings. What is it displaying exactly?

brau

Last night it crashed on me twice in my initial play-through of the beginning portion. I then did the nvidia geforce experience optimization thing and finally worked with no issues. Getting solid 60fps. Hoping the updated drivers improve the "blurring" a bit. Seems like characters have a slight echo effect going on. More evident during in-game cut scenes. Anyone else notice?

My base specs:
Win 8.1
MSI X99S Gaming 9 Ack
i7-5960X
Titan X 12GB Superclocked
32GB DDR4
SSDs only

Getting the new nvidia drivers tonight.

Really digging the constant leaderboard updates but it's hard to tell where I fall in the overall world rankings. What is it displaying exactly?

What kind of AA are you using? I was having this same issue with the TX option until i updated my drivers this morning. After that it worked just fine. If not, just bumping the AA down and downsampling seemed to dot he trick if you can handle it.

WaterAstro

Wow, I restarted a challenge called Ridgeline Sprint, went to prep some cooking by peeling two potatoes.

Came back, and it was still loading lol.

For those playing on PC: what control scheme are you using? I've gone back and forth between controller/K+M and I can't decide what I like. Controlling the wingsuit/cars/helicopters is much more intuitive with a controller, but aiming guns/tethering objects together with K+M is far more snappy and natural to me.

Holy fucking shit...the plane controls. Is this a joke? Left and right with square and circle? What the hell is this? Why? What's wrong with Avalanche?

Man, locking the fun upgrades behind boring, repetitive and sometimes frustrating challenges is one of the dumbest moves in recent memory.

When the game gets going, it's fun, but to get to that point is kind of a pain.

Overall, it's pretty, and traversal is a bit better, but after ~6 hours I think that Just Cause 2 was better (so far). Just Cause 3 gets boring very quickly -- probably best suited to short play sessions.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy fucking shit...the plane controls. Is this a joke? Left and right with square and circle? What the hell is this? Why? What's wrong with Avalanche?

I love that there is finally rudder control. Before when rudder was tied to bank it was impossible to pull off awesome stunts or align yourself well for a good bombing/strafing run.

I think it works great, throttle on the triggers, look around on the stick, weapons on the bumpers.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, locking the fun upgrades behind boring, repetitive and sometimes frustrating challenges is one of the dumbest moves in recent memory.

When the game gets going, it's fun, but to get to that point is kind of a pain.

Overall, it's pretty, and traversal is a bit better, but after ~6 hours I think that Just Cause 2 was better (so far). Just Cause 3 gets boring very quickly -- probably best suited to short play sessions.

Not sure what the hell they were thinking with that one, honestly.

You'd think someone bringing up this concept during a staff meeting would be laughed out of the room.

brau

For those playing on PC: what control scheme are you using? I've gone back and forth between controller/K+M and I can't decide what I like. Controlling the wingsuit/cars/helicopters is much more intuitive with a controller, but aiming guns/tethering objects together with K+M is far more snappy and natural to me.

I use the 360 controller. The game has auto aim assist, so when shooting i don't have to think too much about that. The grappling is something i can live not being very precise. But it works for me.

Agreed that K+M have a more natural feel on foot.

Certinty

Well the shooting sucks, but besides that I'm actually really liking the game. Haven't had any really bad performance issues on it yet either (PS4).

Salvatron

What kind of AA are you using? I was having this same issue with the TX option until i updated my drivers this morning. After that it worked just fine. If not, just bumping the AA down and downsampling seemed to dot he trick if you can handle it.

Hmm, I'll try that out tonight if it's still an issue after the new drivers. Didn't affect performance, just looked a bit odd.

So those connection issues from pre-launch are fixed now that the game is out, right? No more getting kicked out while trying to open the map?

Top Bottom