• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

I've watched PC streams all week and they all seem to run really well.
Well, that's why I emplore people to reconsider and be cautious, not flat out not purchase it.

Many, myself included, are having significant issues with the PC port. It seems to possibly be a RAM issue, but who knows, either way, performance is unacceptable for many people.

Well, that's why I emplore people to reconsider and be cautious, not flat out not purchase it.

Many, myself included, are having significant issues with the PC port. It seems to possibly be a RAM issue, but who knows, either way, performance is unacceptable for many people.

Yeah I just read the PC thread. Sounds terrible, I have had long ass initial load times and some random but not game breaking frame rate drops but nothing too hyperbolic

Can't decide between this and Rise of the Tomb Raider... I have $30 credit on my Xbox account so it's only $30 actual money for either game. Can't get both though, have to choose one...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
On my system I'm getting about a 30 second initial load and 5-10 second load after death:

i5 2.7 ghz
970 latest drivers
standard HDD
12 gig RAM

I externally locked it at 30 fps @1080p, and I get slight dips as low as 27 fps during heavy explosions. Otherwise it's a pretty rock-steady 30 fps.

Everything is at max settings except antialiasing,

Looks and runs really well here.

EDIT: It actually runs a lot better than Fallout 4 for me, which I run at an externally locked 30fps. Some areas in FO4 just kill my fps, I get a constant 20-25 in some of the bigger cities.

ROTTR.

Please, trust me on this.

I'm not at all averse to playing it but I never played TR 2013 so I'd be going in completely blind and I feel like, despite its flaws, I might get more out of Just Cause 3 since it's open world and I can enjoy myself pretty well just spawning vehicles and tethering stuff together and goofing around, with the challenges and story missions to fall back on when I get a little bored of those. I know you have to complete challenges to upgrade your tethering and unlock new vehicles, but it is my understanding that specific challenges reward specific gears/vehicles so if I can just find out online where to go to do the challenges that let you upgrade your tether and unlock the fighter jet, tank, etc. I think I'd be fine.

My major sticking point that's keeping me off JC3 are the reports of really bad loading times... if it's Fallout 4-esque I can handle it but I've heard that it can be really, really awful.

If you can convince me on why ROTTR is better and why JC3 isn't worth it, I could go for it. I just don't know.

Deasnutz

Banned
So from the sounds of it, this game is probably worth purchasing 2nd hand of e-bay or something? As it seems it doesn't seem to be a game worthy of the full-price tag its asking due to its repetitiveness, and in-engine problems???

Depends. How much disposable income do you have?

It's $36 on kinguin for the PC version.

Li Kao

Well, as expected 5 staring the challenges is nerve wracking. Fuck it, I didn't miss this aspect of Just Cause 2. And while the game is still a ton of fun, there really is this feeling that they didn't try to better the previous one shortcomings.

I'm stumped on my first support vehicle mission or something like that, even when I regroup all the available vehicles in one spot I can't seem to obtain enough chaos score to ace the challenge.

I'm not at all averse to playing it but I never played TR 2013 so I'd be going in completely blind and I feel like, despite its flaws, I might get more out of Just Cause 3 since it's open world and I can enjoy myself pretty well just spawning vehicles and tethering stuff together and goofing around, with the challenges and story missions to fall back on when I get a little bored of those. I know you have to complete challenges to upgrade your tethering and unlock new vehicles, but it is my understanding that specific challenges reward specific gears/vehicles so if I can just find out online where to go to do the challenges that let you upgrade your tether and unlock the fighter jet, tank, etc. I think I'd be fine.

My major sticking point that's keeping me off JC3 are the reports of really bad loading times... if it's Fallout 4-esque I can handle it but I've heard that it can be really, really awful.

If you can convince me on why ROTTR is better and why JC3 isn't worth it, I could go for it. I just don't know.
Rise of the Tomb Raider is like what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1.

It's a hyper-polished, gorgeous action game with great character moments with Lara, a variety of locations and settings, and solid gameplay with almost no performance issues worth noting.

Just Cause 3 feels half baked. Most of the fun upgrades are locked behind mediocre side missions, performance is questionable, especially on the Xbox One, and the load times are absolutely atrocious. I had an instance of a 3+ minute load sequence on a regular respawn.

It's really a matter of getting a polished action game experience that's more linear and directed versus an open world game serverly lacking proper polish. I'd recommend JC3 on it's gameplay alone, but after a few patches and for a $15 entry fee. ROTTR is definitely worth 60 bones, and for $30, it's a steal.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't find this last transformer at the military base in Lavanda

I hate when that happens. Game should have a feature where it shows the final two or three objects in big bases on the map after 3 minutes or something.

I've spent WAY too much time looking for the final object in the bigger bases, it's usually a piece of shit transformer or a little radar.

Q8D3vil

The shooting is extremely disappointing, didnt JC2 have body physics when u shoot the enemies ? this game have 0 feeling when u shoot them, just some crappy ass death animation.
Driving cars is bad and whoever idea was to unlock mods through challenges should be fired.

I hate when that happens. Game should have a feature where it shows the final two or three objects in big bases on the map after 3 minutes or something.

I've spent WAY too much time looking for the final object in the bigger bases, it's usually a piece of shit transformer or a little radar.

Can't you just mark it on the map? Whenever I get down to the last 1 or 2 to destroy and can't find them I just open the map and set a marker on it and it points right to it in the hud in-game.

The game feels like it would be great for when I get an urge to rampage in a sandbox game but nothing much else. The scavenger hunt base clearing was a chore in Just Cause 2 and is lame here as well. I refunded it and will not buy it again until it's way cheaper because the game is much too shallow for 50 bucks.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is like what Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1.

It's a hyper-polished, gorgeous action game with great character moments with Lara, a variety of locations and settings, and solid gameplay with almost no performance issues worth noting.

Just Cause 3 feels half baked. Most of the fun upgrades are locked behind mediocre side missions, performance is questionable, especially on the Xbox One, and the load times are absolutely atrocious. I had an instance of a 3+ minute load sequence on a regular respawn.

It's really a matter of getting a polished action game experience that's more linear and directed versus an open world game serverly lacking proper polish. I'd recommend JC3 on it's gameplay alone, but after a few patches and for a $15 entry fee. ROTTR is definitely worth 60 bones, and for $30, it's a steal.

Thank you. I'll definitely consider ROTTR, I already have an open world game in Fallout 4 (not that FO4 and JC3 have similar gameplay in any way) so I'll think twice before I buy JC3.

Has Avalanche acknowledged the poor performance (esp on Xbox One)? Any plans for a patch? I was planning on picking this up to play around the holidays, but man those 15 min load impressions really dampened my excitement for the game.

ironcreed

Banned
Has Avalanche acknowledged the poor performance (esp on Xbox One)? Any plans for a patch? I was planning on picking this up to play around the holidays, but man those 15 min load impressions really dampened my excitement for the game.

The longest load time for me has been around 40 seconds or so. It is also playing just fine.

brau

So from the sounds of it, this game is probably worth purchasing 2nd hand of e-bay or something? As it seems it doesn't seem to be a game worthy of the full-price tag its asking due to its repetitiveness, and in-engine problems???

I've had no issues with the game on PC.

Run an i7 - 970gtx and 16 gigs of ram and i run it all on highest settings at 1080 and a steady framerate.

I knew what JC was, and i am not disappointed so far.

brau

I played the first hour last night and it was fucking incredible? is the next hour awful or something?

Played more than a couple of hrs and i was having a blast. But i do have to say that the intro had a lot of cuts and loadings. That i didn't care for. It feels like it was setup to just seamlessly go back to gameplay but i guess there is way too much stuff going on and it has to load like every few mins after each cutscene interruption. In that respect i think the game is a bit of a let down. After that tho, it opens up and i was free to do stuff without loads of loading times and just me doing stuff.

23qwerty

Played more than a couple of hrs and i was having a blast. But i do have to say that the intro had a lot of cuts and loadings. That i didn't care for. It feels like it was setup to just seamlessly go back to gameplay but i guess there is way too much stuff going on and it has to load like every few mins after each cutscene interruption. In that respect i think the game is a bit of a let down. After that tho, it opens up and i was free to do stuff without loads of loading times and just me doing stuff.
yeah that's true there were definitely too much loading and cutscenes but aside from that it was awesome

Enco

Runs like shit on my computer with a gtx 770.

This is the kind of game that needs a smooth 60fps to be enjoyable. I'll wait for a few patches and pray.

EvB

Played an hour or so , it's no way near as bad I was expecting.

Load times are not ideal but still a far cry from the figures people were saying earlier this week, just tested it twice and it took 1:45 for the initial load on both occasions.

BashNasty

To give another perspective on the PC version. I'm running on:

970 latest drivers
16gigs ram
i5 2500k stock.
Windows 10
Samsung 850 pro SSD
G-sync monitor 1440p

Pretty much everything set to max and it runs perfectly. No stutter or noticeable drops (though I'm sure Gsync helps a lot there). Overall the game seems super solid.

Not sure why there is so much hate getting thrown around in this thread. This is a worry sequel to just cause 2. The wing suit is a massive and awesome addition for traversal, the world map is massive and gorgeous and the explosions are fantastic.

If you have a decent PC and are on the fence, get off the fence and buy it. The game is far, far better than this thread makes it sound.

Gusto

Oh man I love playing as the most interesting man in the world. I can't shake the Dos Equis guys face while playing.

Ramenman

wait wait wait ? on PC there's no steam cloud saves ? seriously ?

This is serious bullshit. I'm a just cause and Avalanche fanboy beyond everything but this is seriously crap.

Can "square enix account" something something at least act as a cloud-save ? I wouldn't hope so...

Dammit I seriously hope they patch this thing in seriously. Now I can't play it during my lunch break, and, i'd fucking hate to not have easy access to my save whenever I install it on a new computer. Because if Just Cause 2 is any indication, I'm going to play this for a long time, and on several machines.

danowat

Banned
Played an hour or so , it's no way near as bad I was expecting.

Load times are not ideal but still a far cry from the figures people were saying earlier this week, just tested it twice and it took 1:45 for the initial load on both occasions.

GAFerbole

To give another perspective on the PC version. I'm running on:

970 latest drivers
16gigs ram
i5 2500k stock.
Windows 10
Samsung 850 pro SSD
G-sync monitor 1440p

Pretty much everything set to max and it runs perfectly. No stutter or noticeable drops (though I'm sure Gsync helps a lot there). Overall the game seems super solid.

Not sure why there is so much hate getting thrown around in this thread. This is a worry sequel to just cause 2. The wing suit is a massive and awesome addition for traversal, the world map is massive and gorgeous and the explosions are fantastic.

If you have a decent PC and are on the fence, get off the fence and buy it. The game is far, far better than this thread makes it sound.

Load times on PC on a SSD are great, like 10 - 15 seconds.

You guys are restoring my faith that I made the right decision.

newsguy

Playing it on PS4. It's freaking really good. Bad graphics hyperbole is just that. Load times are on the long side, but that's all I agree with in the negatives so far. Wingsuit complaints are laughable. I was whipping around boom island in the wingsuit before the game even installed and I'm not what you would call a great gamer.

J_Viper

I haven't played JC3, but I will say this, as good as TR is, it's a one and done type of game. There's no reason at all to go back to it.

JC3 seems like it has way more content, at least.

I'm playing on the PS4, i just had 3 crashes in about 1 hour op playtime. I really want to play this because its fun as hell, but this is really starting to get annoying. Think i had about 10/11 crashes now :/ Never had this happen with a game before

I haven't played JC3, but I will say this, as good as TR is, it's a one and done type of game. There's no reason at all to go back to it.

JC3 seems like it has way more content, at least.

That's what's making my decision tough. 12 hours of excellent polished fast-loading linear gameplay versus potentially dozens of hours goofing off and blowing stuff up in a less polished sometimes-slow-loading open world.

Top Bottom