• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

NotLiquid

Yes, because the performance and loading time issues are new to them...

Come on Avalanche, stop fucking around.

How are they supposed to word it? They said they need time to fully analyze most of each individual user issue and work towards rectifying everything in one fell swoop. They can't just throw out a patch in a day.

Mechazawa

I fucking adore the outposts in this game. Flashes of Red Faction Guerrilla and Infamous:SS style hit and run gameplay where you fuck shit up, retreat to quickly lick your wounds and then come screaming back in.

Just wish there was a slightly larger penalty for dying in them.

Pulling apart guard towers piece by piece is a delight, the physics are really fun in this game. I wish it had some Red Faction Guerrilla style minigames centered around demolishing buildings.

Was going for the far off island and decided to check out the little island to see if there was something on it. I noticed a enemy ship coming rushing by and beach itself. Think nothing of it, I was looking at the net the turned my head back to the TV. 3 more ships seemed to have beached themselves including a couple of jet skis. So I just waited around and saw this happen.

TgePc3L.jpg

nSzH0gY.jpg

Seems there's a NPC glitch? or something to that effect with the way they take a sea route. It's funny as hell. lol They keep piling up.

giphy.gif

Undead

How are they supposed to word it? They said they need time to fully analyze most of each individual user issue and work towards rectifying everything in one fell swoop. They can't just throw out a patch in a day.

The main problem is that the issues people have mostly are across the board with consoles it's not individual.
Framerate and loading times are the two main things that everyone has issues with and Avalanche should have been aware before launch (if they didn't then that raises serious questions about their QA)
Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect them to have been working on a patch since last week to at least fix the main issues and for them to tell us as much.

I agree the load times are horrific and the driving mechanics are horrendous.

Despite that I am having a fucking ball playing this game.

Just played for 5 hours with a buddy, eating junk food and taking turns blowing shit up.

Cheap action flick entertainment is exactly what I was hoping I'd get and that it delivers amazingly well!

bndadm

The money is worth it for the bridge destruction. I spent 2 hours last night messing with them.
Please someone tell me there are trains I can derail and where.

newsguy

The money is worth it for the bridge destruction. I spent 2 hours last night messing with them.
Please someone tell me there are trains I can derail and where.

There are and there are videos of people doing amazing things to them. Also, they carry fighter jets and military vehicles.

Okay, I thought that Big Head mode was pretty funny when I was just running around shooting people to make their head bigger.

Then I realized that when Big Head people die, they "deflate" and shoot up in the air like a rocket.

So I did this:

I eventually cleaned out that whole town and had everyone jammed up in that archway.

Interesting tidbits:
  • You can tether dead people, and then "Big Head" them. They'll bounce around like balloons.
  • You can give animals big heads

As far as Easter Eggs go, this one's pretty amazing.

GHG

Gold Member
Is this worth a purchase? I don't see this OT moving at all. I enjoyed Mad Max, by the way.

If you're on the PC and your PC is decent then go for it. I'm having a lot of fun with it. But stick with it as the 1st couple of hours are a bit of a slog until you start unlocking some new abilities.

Does anyone know what town/area you need to liberate in order to be able to store helicopters in the garage?

Durden77

One more region on the bottom two islands and I'll have liberated the entire first area. Then I can finally move on to the island 4 times it's size lol.

Does anyone know if this game will have better gunplay than the last one? Loved the world, and all the vehicles (attack helicopters were awesome and just felt destructive) played great, but god did I hate how the guns worked in that game.

Also, felt like sometimes the stronghold battles were a little weak ya know? Game better have tanks, too. Tanks are awesome.

GHG

Gold Member
Does anyone know if this game will have better gunplay than the last one? Loved the world, and all the vehicles (attack helicopters were awesome and just felt destructive) played great, but god did I hate how the guns worked in that game.

Also, felt like sometimes the stronghold battles were a little weak ya know? Game better have tanks, too. Tanks are awesome.

Gunplay is slightly improved. One of the abilities you unlock improves it a lot.

And of course there are tanks. You encounter them pretty early in the game and can use them if you want to go with that strategy.

vypek

Only played about an hour tonight but so far it is pretty fun. The cars suck though. Racing challenges probably won't be fun. First thing I noticed is that I can't rapid parachute like before where I double tapped to open and close the parachute to gain high heights

Gunplay is slightly improved. One of the abilities you unlock improves it a lot.

And of course there are tanks. You encounter them pretty early in the game and can use them if you want to go with that strategy.

Aww yissss.

If I have the money, I'll check this bad boy out over Christmas. Time to watch some gameplay vids I suppose.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Only played about an hour tonight but so far it is pretty fun. The cars suck though. Racing challenges probably won't be fun. First thing I noticed is that I can't rapid parachute like before where I double tapped to open and close the parachute to gain high heights

Once you begin to master the wingsuit, you'll be grapple pulling yourself up mountains.

The wingsuit in this game is one of if not the best movement mechanics ever created.

vypek

Once you begin to master the wingsuit, you'll be grapple pulling yourself up mountains.

The wingsuit in this game is one of if not the best movement mechanics ever created.

Really? Sounds good. I'm still in an old mindset of using the parachute and trying to use it just like I did in Just Cause 2. Looking forward to getting better with the mechanics.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Really? Sounds good. I'm still in an old mindset of using the parachute and trying to use it just like I did in Just Cause 2. Looking forward to getting better with the mechanics.

You can also parachute climb the old fashioned way by grappling the ground then pulling in the grapple while pitching yourself up at the same time.

But yeah, invest time in the wingsuit. The key to wingsuit grapple propulsion is grapple a point in front of you, then pull in the grapple with the trigger while pulling hard away from the ground with the flight stick.

vypek

You can also parachute climb the old fashioned way by grappling the ground then pulling in the grapple while pitching yourself up at the same time.

But yeah, invest time in the wingsuit. The key to wingsuit grapple propulsion is grapple a point in front of you, then pull in the grapple with the trigger while pulling hard away from the ground with the flight stick.

Thanks for the tip. Will try the next time I play

RedStep

I was having great fun with this (Xbox One) on Tuesday and Wednesday... today I want to throw it out the window. Frame rate drops combined with terrible vehicle controls combined with driving challenges that have you flying all over the road combined with hard crashes.

Decided to take a break for a while.

xrnzaaas

Got the game yesterday (PS4), played for about 4.5 hours in one sitting without any crashes. I don't know what's the case, but the game doesn't perform as bad as I've read in this thread. Sure, there are some slowdowns durring massive gunfights, but on my console they don't last longer than 1-2 seconds. In fact the biggest two frame drops I've witnessed occured when driving very fast. Maybe I'm lucky (I was blowing stuff up, not playing like a pacifist ;)), maybe like in Mad Max things will get worse once you advance to other areas of the world. Same with the loading times. The helicopter challenge was the only one that needed about a minute to reload, three of the wingsuit challenges I've tried reloaded in 30secs or less.

As for the game itself, I'm loving it. The wingsuit is AWESOME, explosions are awesome, I like the occasional humour. The graphics could've been a little better, but I guess that's what you get when you a play a huge sandbox. So far I've got two major complaints - the cars and bikes handle horribly and the online requirement is a fucking joke. My game froze twice and the game was trying to log in for about a minute. Switching to offline mode helps only for some time. I swear, if this keeps up I'll be turning off my wi-fi, because I don't care about comparing my results with other players or stuff like that.

danowat

Banned
Got the game yesterday (PS4), played for about 4.5 hours in one sitting without any crashes. I don't know what's the case, but the game doesn't perform as bad as I've read in this thread.

GAFerbole

You've got to remember that there is a portion of this forum who won't be happy unless it's a perfect 60fps.

Sure it's got framerate issues, but for many people, it's not such a huge issue.

MMaRsu

GAFerbole

You've got to remember that there is a portion of this forum who won't be happy unless it's a perfect 60fps.

Sure it's got framerate issues, but for many people, it's not such a huge issue.

Dude, fuck hyperbole.

If you look at digital foundry video, there are clear drops to as low as 19fps!!!!

I even made my own vids showcasing the horrible fps. Dont spread bullshit that this game runs fine. Its why devs dont bother to actually fix their games problems is because end users will excuse them.

Go to Fortalessa on the map and shit will just start dropping.

Maybe some people dont notice it that doesnt mean we should settle for 19fps drops lol.

danowat

Banned
Well obv Im not saying you cant get enjoyment out of the game.

I'm not saying that devs shouldn't fix it, but if you took what many people say on here at face value you'd probably never buy any game.

It does have framerate issues, but, for me at least, they arent game breaking, and it's a lot of fun.

MMaRsu

I'm not saying that devs shouldn't fix it, but if you took what many people say on here at face value you'd probably never buy any game.

It does have framerate issues, but, for me at least, they arent game breaking, and it's a lot of fun.

One one hand Im glad you are having fun with it. The fps issue isnt game breaking but for a ps4 game in 2015 I expect better than drops to 19fps.

On the other hand I think whatever happened to standards. We should complain en masse and get this shit fixed, as all.the other problems with the game ( mods only unlock by challenges, chaos being a useless metric ).

danowat

Banned
One one hand Im glad you are having fun with it. The fps issue isnt game breaking but for a ps4 game in 2015 I expect better than drops to 19fps.

On the other hand I think whatever happened to standards. We should complain en masse and get this shit fixed, as all.the other problems with the game ( mods only unlock by challenges, chaos being a useless metric ).

I've been playing games for over 30 years, I guess I am just a bit more accepting of flaws and tend to try and see the good in games, rather than focus on the negatives too much.

Personally I am happy that developers are pushing the envelope with games, rather than playing it safe, I don't buy the lazy devs line, games theses days are just so complex and large that there are always going to be issue.

Of course I would prefer a solid 30fps at all times, but it's not what we have, but hopefully we will in the near future.

Blizzje

Like in the Witcher 3 thread, some people are screaming their heads off about the performance.Yes, there are heavy fps drops sometimes, just like in The Witcher, but there is a lot going on. Physics calculation during explosions must be draining performance like crazy and the devs have probably optimised what they can for now.

Programmers will continue to get more accustomed to the ps4 hardware and start utilizing compute/gpgpu which (I feel ) will bring lots of performance enhancements.

All in all, I think the way to go is to make games that 'fit' in the constraints of what the ps4 and xb1 can do and continue to take it further. Maybe games like Just Cause 3 take it a step too far. Walk before you can run. But I do commend them for at least making a nice looking open world game with crazy explosions. There are drops, but some of you seem to blame your lack of overall enjoyment of the game on the fact that these drops are present.

We will move forward and graphics will continue to get better. The next big game I can think of that will challenge the hardware is FFXV, a showcase of GPGPU, 1080p, great draw distance, day/night cycle, etc. And before you bring up the cooperation with Avalanche: it's for specific elements of the game. And no, they are not blowing up red barrels in FFXV.

I usually don't get into framerate discussions- solid 30 is fine by me though I do love 60fps- but JC3 is terrible in this regard. It's not like one-off minor drops, pretty much any decently sized town or base with destructible objects tanks the game while all the destructable objects are strewn around and reinforcements arrive, and only crawls back to a playable clip after all the objects/particles/people start to be removed from the world. It's way worse than something like The Witcher 3 because it happens often in situations that demand quick and precise aiming and movement. It feels/looks awful in ways I haven't experienced in years (I do my best to avoid games with performance this bad). "Unplayable" is a term that gets thrown around far too often by people who are hypersensitive to framerate, even with games that are documented to be rock solid 30fps, but JC3 genuinely becomes unplayable at times.

chiba

This game is nuts, found
a midnight rave in the middle of the woods and green man from Sunny was dancing front and center lolol.

Loadtimes need to be fixed asap though, really kills the games flow. I've had under 30sec loads on a challenge, then 2 trys later its near 5mins. Hopefully its fixable.

Loving it other then that. One thing avalanche seems to always get right with their open world games is making traveling fun. They nailed it with mad max, and they did with this too.

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone found any airports yet? I want to know where to get planes.

If anyone wants to unlock a helicopter with weapons for the rebel drops then you need to liberate this place called Puntca Sud. It's a military base at the south of Petra province. I just spent the last hour doing it, boy was it challenging this early on in the game but it's so worth it as I now have this chopper on tap.

Game runs like dog shit on my PC and can't see most the environment beyond 100m, still fun lol. Lack of zoom-in default is really bugging me though.

Lego Boss

I've been playing games for over 30 years, I guess I am just a bit more accepting of flaws and tend to try and see the good in games, rather than focus on the negatives too much.

Personally I am happy that developers are pushing the envelope with games, rather than playing it safe, I don't buy the lazy devs line, games theses days are just so complex and large that there are always going to be issue.

Of course I would prefer a solid 30fps at all times, but it's not what we have, but hopefully we will in the near future.

I think some people are more sensitive to this than others, I have been gaming for about the same time (30+ years) and the things that I notice are not really technical problems, but technical brilliance. The water is beautiful, the lighting really shows what current-gen games should look like and the ground effect that you have in helicopter is a physical and visual art form.

I'm not sure if age has anything to do with it, but I know that devs aren't lazy and that they try their best in providing a great experience. It's not always succesful, but JC3 gets it right more often than not and it's a blast to play, which is not sonething you can always say about games which take themselves too seriously these days.

Obviously a patch for online login and load times would be welcome . . . .

Played for a long time last night, hours were gone before I knew it.

I love this game I really do, when it runs right it's amazing. I can already tell when the big slowdowns will hit (PS4) so I kind of expect them sometimes. I am a big helicopter guy in these games so when I start slinging rockets into a fresh base I know the FPS will drop like a rock lol. Hoping they can do something for that in a patch or two. Other than that it seems any of the bigger cities automatically cause the slowdown as well no matter what.

Regardless my impressions on the game have really gone from "meh" to "I love it" now just iron out some issues and I will be happy.

Do wish there were some more weapons though, they give you the ability to have pretty much all of them right away.

I finally ventured onto the main island last night. This game will take me a LONG time to clear everything and I plan to get close if not clear it all. The helicopter controls are great and unlocking the challenges has been a lot more fun that I thought it would be.

One question, anyone know what's up with the big island in the northwest? It doesn't have the red lines around it to indicate there are settlements there :eek: maybe I should fly out and see what's what this weekend.

GHG

Gold Member
I installed this game 2 days ago and I've played 11 hours already. Digital crack I tell you.

I've barely touched the main missions as well, I'm just having so much fun generally flying around the map and fucking shit up.

There is a learning curve for the wing suit and parachute controls but once you get the hang of them it's so so satisfying.

Undead

Anyone found any airports yet? I want to know where to get planes.

If anyone wants to unlock a helicopter with weapons for the rebel drops then you need to liberate this place called Puntca Sud. It's a military base at the south of Petra province. I just spent the last hour doing it, boy was it challenging this early on in the game but it's so worth it as I now have this chopper on tap.

Look on the map, the runways are easy to spot with being a straight line.
Good one on West island, forget the name but the runway is on top of the actual base and there are 2 jets(one is a bomber) and the old fashioned one there

SomTervo

Don't put words in his mouth. Not to mention asking for someone to get banned is a very questionable practice.

1. "couldn't be bothered to" = "too lazy to". Literally mean the same thing. And that's what he said, verbatim.

2. It was actually a respected journalist on this very site who requested that members get banned for suggesting developers are lazy or lackadaisical. I'm just echoing the sentiment.

3. The guy's point was bullshit. Of course these developers want their game to run well and have worked for several years to try and reach that target. They probably worked 16 hour days for the last four months to try and get it as good as possible. Game development isn't as simple as "there's a problem - devs didn't try hard enough".

This game is nuts, found
a midnight rave in the middle of the woods and green man from Sunny was dancing front and center lolol.

Holy shit!!!

Incredible easter egg.

Top Bottom