• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

SomTervo

This might just be my GOTY. The sense of scale, the lush atmosphere, the Wingsuit gliding, the explosive carnage. I can't get enough.

It's a genuine year of GotYs for me.

Like, this is the fifth or sixth game I'd happily call a GotY. Going to make a thread about it in January I reckon.

dinoroar

Banned
This might just be my GOTY. The sense of scale, the lush atmosphere, the Wingsuit gliding, the explosive carnage. I can't get enough.

Are you playing it on PC? I really think it would be up there for me too, I can handle the loading times but the frame rate stuff on PS4 is really killing it for me. I'm trying to go for the safe and quiet options rather than wreak havoc and watch it all in stuttery slow-mo.

It's really fun though, I end up just wing suiting around because it can run that reasonably well. I'm just at ends with carrying on with it while it's like this technically!

Really yearning for a performance patch on PS4 before I pickup. I really want a true successor to Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction :(

GHG

Gold Member

Same. I just can't get enough.

Love the music as well, really fits the setting. It's one open world game where I've never felt the urge to use fast travel. It's genuinely enjoyable getting from one end of the map to the other, whether it's by land, air or sea (or all 3 :) ).

It takes a damn good game to get me to overlook visual glitches as well. It looks stunning most of the time on the PC anyway with a bit of downsampling.

I installed this game 2 days ago and I've played 11 hours already. Digital crack I tell you.

I've barely touched the main missions as well, I'm just having so much fun generally flying around the map and fucking shit up.

There is a learning curve for the wing suit and parachute controls but once you get the hang of them it's so so satisfying.

Yep, these games have always seemed to nail the parachuting controls. The Wingsuit is just amazing as well, soaring around the blue water and the mountains....so good.

Also I miss the radio, why did they remove it D:
At least we get the little announcer whenever something big happens but still...

hbkdx12

I just found out the hard way that the propaganda vans don't show up on the map.

Came across this huge province that consisted of like 3 smaller settlements that were all linked and pretty spread out. There were about 5 or 6 billboards. 6 or 7 speakers, 3 commanders that needed killing and a TON of things that needed exploding and a bunch of other stuff as well. Super stoaked about taking it down as this was one of the more expansive areas i've come across yet. I did everything but find the vans in about 20 minutes.

It probably took me about half an hour after that just parachuting around and taking a chopper back and forth across this huge area looking for these damn vans since they don't appear to show up on the map.

Probably the first real mundane thing that i've experienced with the game. Not looking forward to dealing with it in the future although i know i'll have to.

SomTervo

I just found out the hard way that the propaganda vans don't show up on the map.

Came across this huge province that consisted of like 3 smaller settlements that were all linked and pretty spread out. There were about 5 or 6 billboards. 6 or 7 speakers, 3 commanders that needed killing and a TON of things that needed exploding and a bunch of other stuff as well. Super stoaked about taking it down as this was one of the more expansive areas i've come across yet. I did everything but find the vans in about 20 minutes.

It probably took me about half an hour after that just parachuting around and taking a chopper back and forth across this huge area looking for these damn vans since they don't appear to show up on the map.

Probably the first real mundane thing that i've experienced with the game. Not looking forward to dealing with it in the future although i know i'll have to.

I'm pretty sure the vans are settlement/town specific?

You shouldn't need to traverse a whole region to find the vans. There should be in/around one single town, that's where they show up on the checklist. Even the big vans I've found, I just get a chopper and fly up a bit and usually spot them on the streets quite quickly. They never go more than a kilometre or two in my experience.

Unless there's a regional propaganda van type I'm not aware of.

I got an email back from SE support saying that I should reboot my console to fix the load times :p

Yeah because rebooting my console and restarting the game is faster than a 2-3 minute load time. I'll just reboot my console every time I want to redo a challenge :p

Other than the load times with those challenges, I'm having a blast with this game and can't wait to get some quality time with the game over the weekend!

hbkdx12

I'm pretty sure the vans are settlement/town specific?

You shouldn't need to traverse a whole region to find the vans. There should be in/around one single town, that's where they show up on the checklist. Even the big vans I've found, I just get a chopper and fly up a bit and usually spot them on the streets quite quickly. They never go more than a kilometre or two in my experience.

Unless there's a regional propaganda van type I'm not aware of.

They are settlement specific as far as i can tell. It's a bit hard to explain if you haven't encountered it but i was in this area here:

O7ikiHZ.jpg

That entire area is basically one huge settlement (i shouldn't have called it a province in my original post) This huge settlement is essentially broken into 3 chunks with various roads in between.There's a dock area that has a bunch of fuel tanks satellites etc, with the police station next to it. The middle portion is full of modern buildings and tall skyscrapers and the third chunk is the more traditional town looking settlements with the brown slanted roofs and whatnot. Their all linked in terms of the destruction you need to cause to liberate it. It's not as tiny and dense as other earlier settlements where finding the vans isn't that big of a deal. So my problem was that i basically had to keep going back and forth over these 3 areas not knowing exactly where the vans might spawn given the settlement was so vast

Erban1

They are settlement specific as far as i can tell. It's a bit hard to explain if you haven't encountered it but i was in this area here:

O7ikiHZ.jpg

That entire area is basically one huge settlement (i shouldn't have called it a province in my original post) This huge settlement is essentially broken into 3 chunks with various roads in between.There's a dock area that has a bunch of fuel tanks satellites etc, with the police station next to it. The middle portion is full of modern buildings and tall skyscrapers and the third chunk is the more traditional town looking settlements with the brown slanted roofs and whatnot. Their all linked in terms of the destruction you need to cause to liberate it. It's not as tiny and dense as other earlier settlements where finding the vans isn't that big of a deal. So my problem was that i basically had to keep going back and forth over these 3 areas not knowing exactly where the vans might spawn given the settlement was so vast

If you've taken care of the propaganda speakers in the area stay low to the ground and listen for propaganda speech, they're constantly moving but at least you can pinpoint them based on sound.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Any word, or even acknowledgement of any sort from the developers on the technical issues on console? They've been awfully quiet about all of it, kind of concerns me. Remember, not every game is going to get patches to help it run better, and considering this game was "gold" months before release and this is the game they released, it doesn't seem encouraging.

vypek

Any word, or even acknowledgement of any sort from the developers on the technical issues on console? They've been awfully quiet about all of it, kind of concerns me. Remember, not every game is going to get patches to help it run better, and considering this game was "gold" months before release and this is the game they released, it doesn't seem encouraging.

I think someone posted a message that was on the steam forums or somewhere else saying that they have acknowledged it and are working on the issue. Hopefully they pull through pretty soon. I haven't seen that many issues but that is only because I have only logged about an hour in the game so I'm sure the issues are coming soon but would like them to be resolved soon.

EDIT: Found the post

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187610334&postcount=903

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If you've taken care of the propaganda speakers in the area stay low to the ground and listen for propaganda speech, they're constantly moving but at least you can pinpoint them based on sound.

Yeah, that area is kind of a weird settlement. It's the only one I've seen so far that is spread out that has a van. All the other vans have been in single location settlements for me.

Seems like an outlier.

Arttemis

Just took a motorboat from one island to the next... holy shit, the scale in this game is amazing. I really blows Assassin's Creed 4 out of the water. Black Flag was way too crowded, way to confined, and it never let me feel like I was just out on the water sailing. In JC3, going from the bottom Insula Dracon to Insula Fonte took 6+ minutes in a speedboat! Insane!

GTAV used to be my go-to pickup and play game, but I think this will hold that title for a long time.

Several pages back. They posted that they're working on patches.

I agree but it released very late which hurts it some. Divinity Original Sin and this have been my favorite two experiences from 2015. Although I probably won't be able to do any vehicle challenges. I wish the car controls were a lot more forgiving. I have trouble staying on the road. I wish they had widened them out a bit and eased up the handling a bit.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Played a few more hours last night, made some progress but still not feeling it like the previous game. It seemed way easier to chain chaos in the previous game and keep the momentum up. I keep hitting flat spots where nothing is happening, I blow 1 thing up then struggle to find something else to do. Got a bunch of challenges to do now so I should get into those.

Seems to me that doing challenges ASAP (rather than focus on the story) to unlock gears is the best way to have new stuff/better stuff to use to blow shit up. Is that the general consensus? Only about two hours into playing so far.

UCBooties

Amazon went from guaranteeing release date shipping (Arriving on 12/1) to saying it would ship 12/1 and arrive 12/3. Then they said it would ship 12/3 and arrive 12/3 or 12/4. Now I just have a generic "Shipping Soon" and the tracker says it will arrive today, 12/4. It's already after noon here so... yeah, there's no way.

Fuck Amazon. Every single pre-order I have made from them in the last six months has been late, damaged, or both.

This is what $100/year for PRIME gets you apparently. So glad they raised the price. I sent Jeff Bezos an e-mail saying I was ditching my PRIME membership until they fix their shipping. I encourage everyone else having problems to do the same:

jeff@amazon.com

Unain

Set one of those Propaganda Vans on fire...
Guy in van: "We're on fire! Does someone have a fire extinguisher?"
10/10

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Set one of those Propaganda Vans on fire...
Guy in van: "We're on fire! Does someone have a fire extinguisher?"
10/10

The propaganda van guy's lines are hilarious. He reacts to tons of different things you do to the van.

vypek

Amazon went from guaranteeing release date shipping (Arriving on 12/1) to saying it would ship 12/1 and arrive 12/3. Then they said it would ship 12/3 and arrive 12/3 or 12/4. Now I just have a generic "Shipping Soon" and the tracker says it will arrive today, 12/4. It's already after noon here so... yeah, there's no way.

Fuck Amazon. Every single pre-order I have made from them in the last six months has been late, damaged, or both.

This is what $100/year for PRIME gets you apparently. So glad they raised the price. I sent Jeff Bezos an e-mail saying I was ditching my PRIME membership until they fix their shipping. I encourage everyone else having problems to do the same:

jeff@amazon.com

Amazon has been acting real stupid with me recently with some of their shipping and some other services of theirs I have tested out. I have no clue whats going on. Those drones better be ready soon. I actually bought this game at best buy because I recently got GCU and they said I would get the game after release but it took another extra day. I'm starting to wonder if its really these companies or that shipping companies are the ones to really blame here.

What carrier was supposed to take your game? I've noticed that UPS is generally less reliable for me than in the past. I think A1 and Lasership are pretty bad as well.

UCBooties

Amazon has been acting real stupid with me recently with some of their shipping and some other services of theirs I have tested out. I have no clue whats going on. Those drones better be ready soon. I actually bought this game at best buy because I recently got GCU and they said I would get the game after release but it took another extra day. I'm starting to wonder if its really these companies or that shipping companies are the ones to really blame here.

What carrier was supposed to take your game? I've noticed that UPS is generally less reliable for me than in the past. I think A1 and Lasership are pretty bad as well.

That's the thing, there's no carrier because Amazon hasn't shipped it yet. All of my problems have been with Amazon not shipping the item on time, the carriers, as far as I can tell, have been fine.

vypek

That's the thing, there's no carrier because Amazon hasn't shipped it yet. All of my problems have been with Amazon not shipping the item on time, the carriers, as far as I can tell, have been fine.

Wow. That is crazy. I'd cancel my Prime membership if I were in your position as well. Makes no kind of sense to break a guaranteed delivery. At this point they really should be able to handle their warehouses/stock/delivery timing just fine.

I know at times when I have complained, I have received credit for future purchases that were ~$10 so you could ask for that. It might depend on how long you have been a customer and how long you have had Prime since Amazon appears to have a liking to loyal customers.

UCBooties

Wow. That is crazy. I'd cancel my Prime membership if I were in your position as well. Makes no kind of sense to break a guaranteed delivery. At this point they really should be able to handle their warehouses/stock/delivery timing just fine.

I know at times when I have complained, I have received credit for future purchases that were ~$10 so you could ask for that. It might depend on how long you have been a customer and how long you have had Prime since Amazon appears to have a liking to loyal customers.

I've been through Amazon customer service 7 times in the last 4 months. I've already cancelled my Prime membership and received a number of promotional credits. It's not worth the hassle anymore.

vypek

I've been through Amazon customer service 7 times in the last 4 months. I've already cancelled my Prime membership and received a number of promotional credits. It's not worth the hassle anymore.

7 times in 4 months? Fair enough. Thats way too much need for customer service. I get why you ditched them.

Durden77

If they fix the technical issues it's #2 behind MGSV. But they've got to fix it. Not enough to get me to stop playing, but it's a bummer.

Qwell

Seems to me that doing challenges ASAP (rather than focus on the story) to unlock gears is the best way to have new stuff/better stuff to use to blow shit up. Is that the general consensus? Only about two hours into playing so far.
I would think so, I looked up some of the challenges and military vehicle unlocks so I could get some nice perks I was looking for. I have only done like 3 story missions, basically enough to unlock all your stuff like the wingsuit and then just peaced out to start my collect-a-thon.

I'll just leave this here. Jaw dropping doesn't quite do it justice... particularly if you like big heads, balloons and soaring thousands of feet above the earth with nothing but a grappling hook.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1vMez4Dvz2Y&feature=youtu.be

What stands out to me in this video is the good commentary. Not obnoxious, not trying to crack jokes 24/7, it's nice. Quite the breath of fresh air to see that on YouTube these days.

Picked this up last night and have been enjoying it so far, which is nice, cause I couldn't get into JC2 whatsoever. The explosions are really satisfying.

So... Stupid question but how do I start missions? I can't see shit on the map. (or I'm blind)

If it's in a controlled territory I believe you have to clear that before it'll let you start the mission. Other than that you stand in the circle and press triangle.

I would think so, I looked up some of the challenges and military vehicle unlocks so I could get some nice perks I was looking for. I have only done like 3 story missions, basically enough to unlock all your stuff like the wingsuit and then just peaced out to start my collect-a-thon.

Thanks. I know what I'm doing this weekend (Challenges... All day).

geomon

Today I ran into the worst load time I have ever experienced in a game. I'm doing a racing challenge, decide to retry it for a better score and I wait. I wait for 12 fucking minutes. This is on a disc copy on the PS4. I put it on youtube today because, holy fuck man.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
mintylurb in the PC performance thread helped me fix a V sync problem and the game is much more fluid and feels like Just Cause. Starting to have fun blowing stuff up and doing challenges again, grappling and parachuting feels better too.

hbkdx12

Today I ran into the worst load time I have ever experienced in a game. I'm doing a racing challenge, decide to retry it for a better score and I wait. I wait for 12 fucking minutes. This is on a disc copy on the PS4. I put it on youtube today because, holy fuck man.

I don't know what it is but something about restarting challenges that aren't the shooting ones is horrible broken. You're better off just exiting and going back to the origin point and restarting.

I don't find the minigame challenges to be as grating as other people (sans the long loading times. PROTIP: I'm sure this probably has been pointed out already but you get drastically far quicker load times on challenges if you just go back to the start point and begin the challenge again rather than doing a retry from the menu after you fail/complete it.)

It literally loads up in seconds as oppose to the countless minutes if you retry from the challenge menu

Durden77

There's a small island a little North East of Cava de Rebelles that seems especially...dead. There's a lot of dead and chopped trees and not much grass. It's weird, I wondered around it and didn't find anything. Wonder if there's anything to it...

AHK_Hero

Had to work through some performance issues, but I'm enjoying the game so far. I've had a few genuine laugh out loud, jaw dropping moments.

Like others have mentioned, gun-play is underwhelming, Rico lacks his former mobility on foot, and that melee attack is dreadful.

But goodness me, the wing-suit is one of the most fun things I have ever experienced in a video game.

Also, I haven't played JC2 in a while but I remember it having very distinct looking regions. A desert, snowy mountains, and the classic tropical paradise. Although I imagine it doesn't make any geographical sense, it really helped make the color palette diverse and prevent monotony.

I've seen the snow mountain, but is the rest of the game all tropical paradise/ Italian beach towns?

vypek

Had to work through some performance issues, but I'm enjoying the game so far. I've had a few genuine laugh out loud, jaw dropping moments.

Like others have mentioned, gun-play is underwhelming, Rico lacks his former mobility on foot, and that melee attack is dreadful.

But goodness me, the wing-suit is one of the most fun things I have ever experienced in a video game.

Also, I haven't played JC2 in a while but I remember it having very distinct looking regions. A desert, snowy mountains, and the classic tropical paradise. Although I imagine it doesn't make any geographical sense, it really helped make the color palette diverse and prevent monotony.

I've seen the snow mountain, but is the rest of the game all tropical paradise/ Italian beach towns?

I liked the region diversity as well. It was really fun going into cities, the desert, snowy mountains, etc but I could understand why they would leave out many regions in this one.

Top Bottom