• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

hbkdx12

Ok so got it today on PS4 having been a huge JC2 fan. My first impressions are mixed. First thing I noticed was the control changes, namely no sprint, no crouch and no combat roll. It makes Rico feel stiff, like Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld where his jeans are too tight.

Second, what happened to simple things like being in a helicopter then pressing grapple and you could hang off the bottom and shoot? Or the meele attack grapple hook? Its either behind an unlock, or not there, but either way it's frustrating not being able to do it.

I'm not having that much fun so far because I find combat and traversal has taken a step backwards but maybe I just need more time with it.
You can stunt from vehicles by tapping the parachute button (x on ps4). In cars it'll have Rico jump to the roof. In helicopters he'll grapple underneath it upside down and the helicopter will hover so you can freely shoot. Holding the parachute button while in the vehicle will have him bail into a parachute jump

Not sure what the melee grapple attack consists of in jc2 cuz I never played it but you can grapple Onto enemies and Rico will zip to them and kick them. There are upgrades that will allow you to kick them further

GHG

Gold Member
Ok so got it today on PS4 having been a huge JC2 fan. My first impressions are mixed. First thing I noticed was the control changes, namely no sprint, no crouch and no combat roll. It makes Rico feel stiff, like Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld where his jeans are too tight.

Second, what happened to simple things like being in a helicopter then pressing grapple and you could hang off the bottom and shoot? Or the meele attack grapple hook? Its either behind an unlock, or not there, but either way it's frustrating not being able to do it.

I'm not having that much fun so far because I find combat and traversal has taken a step backwards but maybe I just need more time with it.

You can press X when in a helicopter to hang off it and shoot. Melee is circle.

But yes, I agree with your 1st paragraph, they kind of ruined a few of the on ground mechanics.

I'm struggling to get a hang of the wing suit still as well.

vypek

Finally got someone to call out on me. Beat his score.

Nothing.

I didn't get the trophy unlocked. What the hell?

Heard it was somewhat glitchy. Some people need to beat it a few times and I've heard someone else say they had to go in a menu and track the challenge. Something like that.

First time I've played a game and I'm using 80% of my available RAM (8 GB). I will say though, loading on PC never takes more than 30 seconds for me for anything besides that initial load (about 60-90 seconds). Even deaths or failing missions are less than 20 seconds. Game is on my SSD.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Not sure what the melee grapple attack consists of in jc2 cuz I never played it but you can grapple Onto enemies and Rico will zip to them and kick them. There are upgrades that will allow you to kick them further

In Just Cause 2 you could whip people up close with your grappling hook. It was always kinda weak and wonky though. Not a satisfying attack. I'm always for improving those kinds of things, but if it's just gone, then I don't think I'll be missing it.

You would also pull folks off of their feet if you hit them with just the regular grapple (without a full tether), rather than reeling in towards them.

J_Viper

For every fun explosion, there's so much annoyance in this game. I'm really disappointed.

Locking essential mechanics behind (mostly) tedious minigames with minutes of loading is just baffling. Locking vehicles behind stealing them and driving to a garage for every single car there is (after first unlocking the possibility to drive higher-class vehicles to the garage), is one of the most unfun things i ever was asked to do in a game. Why not give me some unlocks with chaos points? Why do i even collect them, what's the point of this metric now?

Pop-in can be atrocious. I just landed my helicopter on a mission-start marker, i was there for about 4 seconds, wanted to exit and was wondering where the hell is the marker on the ground? BOOM, the marker together with several small buildings, fences etc. pop into my landed helicopter while exiting, destroying it and me from it's explosion. The hell...?

The physics are sometimes all over the place. Ricos ragdoll is especially over annoying, flailing around from every little bit in a game that's about explosions. Coupled with the abundance of shooting enemies in bases and your little health, liberating bases is more often frustrating than fun for me.

There are many little things, where i don't understand why they've been changed. I want to zap quickly to a parked helicopter, now that there's no stunt option, Rico's always standing on the cockpit window, between the rotors, you name it. I have to walk down, around, and search for the "Enter" prompt at the cockpit door. This was waaay better in JC2.

Cave bases seem awesome at first glance, but they limit your traversal options quite heavy. Again, coupled with hundreds of people shooting at you, cannon boats firing at you, there is more frustration than fun for me.

Explosions are fun, yes. But i'm at a point where i've seen every of the 20+ things, that can explode, destroyed several times and it's getting quite boring.

Framerate and loading times (especially loading, how could something like this ever get released?) were already mentioned by others.

I'm trading it back in, JC2 was way better. Aside from some design decisions regarding unlocks, the technical shortcomings, i have a feeling Just Cause is just not anything interesting anymore in this day of open-world games, at least for me personally. When it's not frustrating, it's get boring really quick. A shame, i was really hyped for the game.
Your post makes me so glad my PSN refund for this cleared.
Guess I'll hit up JC2

Are barrel rolls in this game? I swear you could do a tumble-style move in JC2 to evade enemy attacks, but I haven't noticed that move in the control options.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Are barrel rolls in this game? I swear you could do a tumble-style move in JC2 to evade enemy attacks, but I haven't noticed that move in the control options.

I can confirm that there was a roll in JC2 (not that it helped much to evade the slew of bullets heading your way. JC ain't no Dark Souls). Dunno about JC3.

It actually shows where the objects are on the map when you are within the area and have selected the town or base in the map screen. The objects can be difficult to see though as they are shown in red just like the area of the oppressed town or base.

This will be very useful...I was strafing that port for a good 30 minutes in my helicopter before giving up lol

Aerocrane

This will be very useful...I was strafing that port for a good 30 minutes in my helicopter before giving up lol

Also I should mention that there's the issue of bases that have underground sections. The map doesn't take altitude into account, so you might have to go searching for entrances to caverns and such to find all chaos objects.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Playing on PC and underwhelmed so far. Probably doesn't help that I'm coming off 100 hours of MGS V, but here's the whine list:

1. Moving Rico feels lethargic. Grappling is still serviceable but I don't enjoy the wingsuit as it's extremely finicky and over-sensitive. I've avoided it mostly.

2. Shooting is as weak as JC2, not much fun at all. Combat feels extremely dated.

3. "FluffyKittens420noscop3z has beaten your score!" - devs if you're reading, please add an option to turn ALL of this stuff off. It means nothing especially when most of them are randoms.

4. Random controller fuck ups where some buttons work and others don't, or occasionally no response from either the controller, mouse or keyboard.

5. The game asks if it should switch to offline mode when it gets disconnected, then the map tries to force a reconnect, pausing the game.

6. Challenges to unlock gears, preferred finding them.

7. The map is less useful than JC2, which wasn't great.

If I'd bought this directly on Steam, this would be my first refund since they started offering them. I'm not bitter, just disappointed.

Playing on PC and underwhelmed so far. Probably doesn't help that I'm coming off 100 hours of MGS V, but here's the whine list:

1. Moving Rico feels lethargic. Grappling is still serviceable but I don't enjoy the wingsuit as it's extremely finicky and over-sensitive. I've avoided it mostly.

Honestly, if you think the hook is only serviceable and you don't like the wingsuit, yeah, I think this would be a horrible game. I can't imagine playing this without enjoying one or both of those things.

GHG

Gold Member
Why the eff is there not legend for the map screen? I need o know what all these icons are.

Or am I being blind?

Quite a few baffling design decisions in this game.

SomTervo

Why the eff is there not legend for the map screen? I need o know what all these icons are.

Or am I being blind?

Quite a few baffling design decisions in this game.

There is one for the stuff that matters? The 'need to destroy' list for each settlement/base. It gives you the legend on the left hand side.

I noticed a couple of very small things that didn't have legend notes, did irk me a little.

kavanf1

Is there really no sprint button in this game? I get that they want us to grapple but come on...it's been a while since I played JC2 and I can't remember if it was in that.

3. "FluffyKittens420noscop3z has beaten your score!" - devs if you're reading, please add an option to turn ALL of this stuff off. It means nothing especially when most of them are randoms.

I'd be happy to have this set to Friends Only.

4. Random controller fuck ups where some buttons work and others don't, or occasionally no response from either the controller, mouse or keyboard.

This is very annoying. Also the game seems to randomly enter windowed mode without warning.

SomTervo

Is there really no sprint button in this game? I get that they want us to grapple but come on...

I was initially frustrated by this, but after getting use to just grappling, it's clear why they did this.

I'd be happy to have this set to Friends Only.

Absolutely. The fact that it's global is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

This is very annoying. Also the game seems to randomly enter windowed mode without warning.

I haven't experienced either of these issues at all. For me, technically on PC, the game is very solid. Not brilliantly optimised, but more than playable and very solid.

The only issue I have is the DualShock 4's awful USB-connection, which means that my cable is constantly falling out mid-gameplay. Led to a few really frustrating deaths.

I've played over 100 hours of MGSV and I'm really happy with Just Cause 3.

It is so much better than JC2 it's not even funny. It's worth doing a direct comparison. It's easy to forget just how janky JC2 was. Also if you're not enjoying the wingsuit, you either A) haven't gotten the knack yet, or B) are playing with WASD. Wingsuit is glorious.

2. Shooting is as weak as JC2, not much fun at all. Combat feels extremely dated.

Again, go and play some JC2. Yes, JC3 shooting is a bit dated, but it is nowhere near as bad as JC2. The removal of dodge/crouch is quite baffling, but it encourages you to use the level design more, which works when you have to start legging it.

This is fucking annoying.

Haven't experienced this at all, as above.

5. The game asks if it should switch to offline mode when it gets disconnected, then the map tries to force a reconnect, pausing the game.

This is a bit of a pain. It's only happened to me once in about 8 hours playtime though.

6. Challenges to unlock gears, preferred finding them.

I definitely prefer the challenges. You don't need to get 5 gears on every one to unlock all the abilities. 2 or 3 on each one does the trick. And it adds a nice incentive to engage with the mechanics in a more structured way. I personally love the new structure of - destroy objects for chaos and liberation > do challenges > get gear > destroy more objects for chaos/liberation. Works really well imo and is a great evolution of JC2 which often left me bored with no direction/feeling like there's nothing to do.

7. The map is less useful than JC2, which wasn't great.

I find the map perfectly useful. And the lack of minimap means you pay 100% attention to the game world while playing, which is brilliant. Really makes the excellent level design stand out.

WGMBY

I keep wingsuit grappling into the ground. It's certainly tricky, but the few times I've managed to get a good glide going through some narrow canyons or buildings have been majestic.

Wish there was more islands though, the entire lower-left of the map is empty.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. The fact that it's global is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Agreed, I would have expected friends only by default. They want it to feel connected/social like a multi-player game when it blatantly isn't one, but notifications about random things from random people doesn't do that.

It is so much better than JC2 it's not even funny. It's worth doing a direct comparison. It's easy to forget just how janky JC2 was. Also if you're not enjoying the wingsuit, you either A) haven't gotten the knack yet, or B) are playing with WASD. Wingsuit is glorious.

I went back to JC2 last month for a few hours, I don't see much difference in the shooting TBH. I admit I haven't spent a lot of time with the wingsuit, enough to get 3 gears on the first challenge and move on. Not sure if I need to switch the inversion or sensitivity, I always play inverted vertically but end up plummeting quickly for some reason with the wingsuit.

I've been playing with a 360 controller, will be switching to a DS4 next time I play. Tested it with MGS V last night, felt so much better.

GHG

Gold Member
So I unlocked the grapple boost for the wing suit after doing the 1st wing suit gliding challenge and yeh the wing suit is pretty awesome now. I can glide around for ages using it now.

Stick with it people, it does get better after you unlock a few things (I've also unlocked the precision aim mod). And when it does it's so satisfying.

Which location do I need to liberate so that I can start storing helicopters in the garages? It won't let me at the moment. The woman is saying where I need to liberate but I can't understand her blooming accent.

hbkdx12

It's interesting to see that there's a general level of disappointment in the fact that either

1) its just more of JC2 and it gets boring
2) there are some things that they've changed/deviated from JC2 that makes it less enjoyable

As someone who's never played JC2, i've been having a blast. Playing on PS4 and haven't seen any noticeable framerate drops but i don't think i'm as sensitive about noticing that stuff as other people are.

I really enjoy the blow everything up nature of the game. Reminds me of early GTA's when it was actually easy to go on rampages and just tear shit up.

I really love how expansive some of the enemy compounds can be. Some actually require a bit of planning, patience and forethought which is nice. Additionally, there's just something euphoric about going into the police stations in the enemy towns and opening the gates so the rebels can come causing a bit of a distraction and just have wonton levels of destruction

I've grown to like the wingsuit although i still don't love it. I tend to use the parachute and grapple boost to get around when things aren't terribly far away.

I don't find the minigame challenges to be as grating as other people (sans the long loading times. PROTIP: I'm sure this probably has been pointed out already but you get drastically far quicker load times on challenges if you just go back to the start point and begin the challenge again rather than doing a retry from the menu after you fail/complete it.) I find them to be a nice change of pace from all the reckless chaos and so far i've been able to get upgrades at a steady clip without having to get 5 gears on every challenge. I tend to settle for 3 or retry for 4 if i was close to getting it.

The guns are on the weak side and the enemies are spongy but 9 times out of 10 there's usually more effective (read: explosive) ways to kill enemies that i don't really mind. Plus Rico is pretty spongy as well so i never feel like i'm being cheated in terms of me dying more, or at all, simply because i couldn't shoot an enemy to death fast enough.

I find the random encounters you come across to be interesting and a nice diversion.

All in all the game is a blast and i can't wait to dig into it some more. I do wonder though what happens once you do take over all the islands completely. Hopefully there's some kind of NG+/compound reset feature although i kind of feel like there isnt.

Does anyone know what island/area has challenges that allow you to upgrade your tether? There's none of the first island you start on and i'm pretty sure i've ran into challenges for every other type of upgrade. I've ventured out to the mainland up north and have run into stronger opposition (not enough to stop me from destroy bases though!) and if things are getting a bit tougher i'd rather bide my time in the places that'll help get me the upgrades i want.

So I unlocked the grapple boost for the wing suit after doing the 1st wing suit gliding challenge and yeh the wing suit is pretty awesome now. I can glide around for ages using it now.

Stick with it people, it does get better after you unlock a few things (I've also unlocked the precision aim mod). And when it does it's so satisfying.

Yeah unlocking Gear Mods really help the game, I just wish you didn't have to do any of those "mini-games" for them.

Also does anyone know if there is a more detailed map? Sometimes looking for stuff with the map provided just doesn't cut it.

MMaRsu

Yeah im glad i sold this too because yes there are too many annoyances. Also the horrible fps.

When its like 20 or something ill buy it again, used.

How can you not notice framedrops on ps4? Its clearly visible each time heavy action is on a a screen. It basically makes the game run at slowmo.

hbkdx12

How can you not notice framedrops on ps4? Its clearly visible each time heavy action is on a a screen. It basically makes the game run at slowmo.

I dunno. I've liberated the entire first island and have never had any slowdown.

Just yesterday i advanced north and took over a base that i was blowing up to kingdom come all the while there were jets taking off around me and helicopters shooting at me and I didn't notice anything that hindered my performance.

Dommel

I'm starting to get that stupid "logging in" shit.

Me too, seems servers are down. Ok then switch to offline mode, problem solved right?

No, every time you try a challenge or want to look at the map let's try to automatically reconnect which takes forever and fails.

So infuriating!

The logging in/server thing is by far the biggest complaint I have with this game. I mean, what happens in 2 years when they take the servers down? Does the game become a constantly-trying-to-connect piece of crap?

danowat

Banned
Yeah im glad i sold this too because yes there are too many annoyances. Also the horrible fps.

When its like 20 or something ill buy it again, used.

I would imagine everyone notices it, it just doesn't impact some people's experience as negatively as others.

E92 M3

Howdy, been trying to avoid gameplay spoilers and such, but have there been any word from the developers about a patch?

I watched MickeyKnox demolish my longest free fall record yesterday. By about 2 km. While glitched on the front of a train. It was hilarious, makes me not give a shit about those scores anymore.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, any confirmed fixes?

Nope...

We know you’re going to want specific information on when a patch will land and what will be fixed – we would love to give you that information, and we will as soon as we have it. But right now, a little over one day since we launched, we have huge numbers of players in our enormous game world and we’re monitoring all the data coming in.

We need a little bit of time to recreate some of these issues and build fixes. Rest assured though – we are fully committed to making Just Cause 3 as awesome as possible. We already know loads of people are having a blast with the game but we’ll do all we can to make sure everyone is laughing and smiling as they play.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/225540/announcements/detail/101692171981969216

WaterAstro

all the gear challenges are hard as hell. I did the flying one perfectly after a few tries because you keep doing barrel rolls..and i JUST made 4 gears. I guess they are meant to be all done again after you unlock boosts to get 5 gears....fml

Well after doing the first one a million times, I got pretty good at these challenges.

Also really helpful looking at the PSTrophy dude's videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3Gf_Eocfg

is there anyway to temporarily fix the horrendous loading times in this on PS4 at least until there is a patch ?

sometimes the loading is quick but other times it takes time just getting into the damn game especially if i'm doing the mini games.

Majine

Banned
The giant verticle structures base on the southern island was pretty fun. Grappling from structure to structure and downing giant satellite dishes.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
is there anyway to temporarily fix the horrendous loading times in this on PS4 at least until there is a patch ?

sometimes the loading is quick but other times it takes time just getting into the damn game especially if i'm doing the mini games.

This might help a bit with the challenges:

I don't find the minigame challenges to be as grating as other people (sans the long loading times. PROTIP: I'm sure this probably has been pointed out already but you get drastically far quicker load times on challenges if you just go back to the start point and begin the challenge again rather than doing a retry from the menu after you fail/complete it.)

BashNasty

Just got it, these load times are something else.

Very very happy I'm playing on PC. Long load times are the worst, but the PC loading times other than the startup, which is about one minute, are fine.

Still loving the game. The sublime wingsuit traversal and over the top explosions make the game for me.

Top Bottom