• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

SilentRob

Yeah, after spending about 6 hours with the Xbox One version I'm confident in saying this is pretty much unplayable at the current state. I had loading times of up to 4 minutes when restarting certain challenges (stopped the time) and whenever I start destroying a bigger base the framerate just completely tanks into unacceptable territories. This one isn't even the worst offender by far, but an example of what happens even if you attack a smaller base:

http://xboxclips.com/Keynwar/232c55ff-f73d-4c99-8ed5-6eb0f63ce004/embed

It feels and looks like it's playing in slow motion. I have not seen a bigger technical mess on consoles this generation - Witcher 3 and AC: Unity felt polished in comparison. I can't believe the console versions even got close to a 70 metacritic...this is plain unacceptable.

besiktas1

To unlock my story mission I have to liberate 2 things. Been clearing towns a nd camps but still no luck. What am I doing wrong?

McNum

To unlock my story mission I have to liberate 2 things. Been clearing towns a nd camps but still no luck. What am I doing wrong?
You have to liberate two provinces. That's all the settlements, outposts, and bases within one area. If you zoom all the way out, you can highlight the province names to see what you're missing to liberate it fully.

Undead

You need to liberate provinces, you do that by liberating towns, outposts and bases within each province.
If you zoom the map out a bit you will see each province outlined

Yoday

Yeah, after spending about 6 hours with the Xbox One version I'm confident in saying this is pretty much unplayable at the current state. I had loading times of up to 4 minutes when restarting certain challenges (stopped the time) and whenever I start destroying a bigger base the framerate just completely tanks into unacceptable territories. This one isn't even the worst offender by far, but an example of what happens even if you attack a smaller base:

It feels and looks like it's playing in slow motion. I have not seen a bigger technical mess on consoles this generation - Witcher 3 and AC: Unity felt polished in comparison. I can't believe the console versions even got close to a 70 metacritic...this is plain unacceptable.
It really is quite remarkable how bad the performance is. I honestly don't think I have played a game with performance this consistently bad in a decade or more. I have only been playing about three hours, and I have had multiple occasions where it feels like it is dipping down to single digit framerates for extended periods. It gets worse as you destroy larger areas. The longer you are in the area the lower the performance drops. Saying that it appears to be running in slow motion is not an exaggeration. I had cases of the game running so poorly that it took three to four seconds to bend down and pick up an audio log. They really should have delayed into January to get these issues ironed out. I'm not one to really care about framerate dips, but this is beyond unacceptable.

vypek

Stuck in a loading screen now. 3rd time Im doing the challenge, suddenly it takes more than 30 seconds. Not even 25% of the way loaded and its been 4 minutes. I guess I will make something to eat before PSX

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like the PC version on a beefy rig is (unsurprisingly) worlds apart. I'm pretty much playing at 60fps@1440p, game looks clear and crisp and vibrant, and installed to an SSD eradicates frustratingly long load times.

I can only hope some patches really fix up the performance and loading speed for console folk.

It really is quite remarkable how bad the performance is. I honestly don't think I have played a game with performance this consistently bad in a decade or more. I have only been playing about three hours, and I have had multiple occasions where it feels like it is dipping down to single digit framerates for extended periods. It gets worse as you destroy larger areas. The longer you are in the area the lower the performance drops. Saying that it appears to be running in slow motion is not an exaggeration. I had cases of the game running so poorly that it took three to four seconds to bend down and pick up an audio log. They really should have delayed into January to get these issues ironed out. I'm not one to really care about framerate dips, but this is beyond unacceptable.

Are you both playing on Xbox One? Aside from the long load times and minor dips I have had no issues on PS4

TheTrain

Sounds like the PC version on a beefy rig is (unsurprisingly) worlds apart. I'm pretty much playing at 60fps@1440p, game looks clear and crisp and vibrant, and installed to an SSD eradicates frustratingly long load times.

I can only hope some patches really fix up the performance and loading speed for console folk.

Even on a mechanical hard disk I'm finding the loading time reasonable, never longer than a couple of second. A bit annoying that it's not seamless in all of his component but I can live with this.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It sounds to me like the loading thing should be a pretty easy bug to fix. It must be doing something pretty obviously wrong to take more than a minute to load anything, let alone 10 minutes.

Crazy that it got by certification.

Fury451

Banned
I really regret buying and opening this game. The load times are awful.

This is sad news, I guess I'll wait. I was actually planning on picking this up this weekend if possible but decided to check here first and I saw the issues everyone is having with loading on console. That really won't work in a game like this at all.

Lego Boss

I'm not saying that people's experiences of PowerPoint frame rates isn't true, but l'm just not feeling that it's that bad.

Perhaps l'm not sensitive to it, but in my opinion this is a wonderful game which l'm constantly thinking about when not playing.

Load times can be a pain, but the FPS drops just aren't a deal breaker for me.

I'm loving this game

On Bone by the way.

danowat

Banned
Anyone have tips on the wing suit challenges, I cant even do the first one the game gives you.

Really really small inputs on the controls otherwise you will over compensate and get in a right mess.

Also, you need to start each movement in advance as the wingsuit takes time to change direction.

I'm not saying that people's experiences of PowerPoint frame rates isn't true, but l'm just not feeling that it's that bad.

Perhaps l'm not sensitive to it, but in my opinion this is a wonderful game which l'm constantly thinking about when not playing.

Load times can be a pain, but the FPS drops just aren't a deal breaker for me.

I'm loving this game

On Bone by the way.

Agreed. The first few hours I was pretty pissed off because of the slowdown, but I swear it's become better the more I play. It got really bad in one of the small towns at the start of the game (honestly like a slide show, but I can't remember the name of it) but I haven't had much of an issue since. Maybe I'm just getting used to it lol.

Great game, but I am looking forward to a patch, particularly for the loading times. Xbone as well.

SomTervo

Anyone have tips on the wing suit challenges, I cant even do the first one the game gives you.

Pull down on the left stick almost all the time.

Adjust a tiny bit left and right.

When you're losing momentum/to keep momentum tap the grapple button aimed at a near-forward point to pull yourself into more speed - but immediately pull back on the left stick to keep your height.

That'll carry you through.

It sounds to me like the loading thing should be a pretty easy bug to fix. It must be doing something pretty obviously wrong to take more than a minute to load anything, let alone 10 minutes.

No.

Please don't assume anything to do with making a videogame is easy. Blood, sweat and tears goes into the tiniest thing you take for granted in a game.

Big things are insanely complicated, hard, and take a lot of time to fix. The Avalanche team will be in a crunch phase of 16 hour days to fix this, probably.

http://gfycat.com/BetterPlumpCottonmouth

BetterPlumpCottonmouth

Tired of getting my ass handed to me in cod. Is this game worth a shit on ps4?? I have Worst Buy reward points, so it wouldn't cost me a dime. Thoughts from those who have it on ps4. Thanks GAF (;

VexyWexy

Alright this is driving me crazy. I can't get the URGA U17 Akrobat off the ground. No matter how long I hold R2 it just putts along at a snail pace and never gets enough speed to takeoff. If I try to do the Volo Infra Ponte Air Race it just nosedives off the cliff at the end of the runway....

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Carm

Tired of getting my ass handed to me in cod. Is this game worth a shit on ps4?? I have Worst Buy reward points, so it wouldn't cost me a dime. Thoughts from those who have it on ps4. Thanks GAF (;

I wouldn't buy this at the moment, wait to see if the first Patch fixes thisgs. I don't have much hope it will, this is gonna need multiple patches to attempt to fix. I wouldn't expect the framerate to be fixed, unless they downgrade things.

Anyone saying saying the PS4 version only has minor fps drops is either blind, have just started the game, or has never attacked a larger base on foot or attack chopper with double missles and tons of destructible. It turns into slow motion similar to the effect when you finish a mission.

Edit: lots of negativity here so one positive, the wingsuit is awesome.

vypek

I wouldn't buy this at the moment, wait to see if the first Patch fixes thisgs. I don't have much hope it will, this is gonna need multiple patches to attempt to fix. I wouldn't expect the framerate to be fixed, unless they downgrade things.

Anyone saying saying the PS4 version only has minor fps drops is either blind, have just started the game, or has never attacked a larger base on foot or attack chopper with double missles and tons of destructible. It turns into slow motion similar to the effect when you finish a mission.

As someone who isn't sensitive to frame drops...I can definitely feel it in this game. This game goes slow mo in too many situations and good luck if its raining while you are liberating an area with a lot of explosions...even worse.

This really does need some patches applied.

hbkdx12

My sensitivity to frame rate dips must be non existant because i don't see anything in that clip that would make the game remotely unplayable for me. I've destroyed tons of bases thus far both big and small and i've never felt like my performance has been hampered. Naturally, that's not me suggesting that there aren't real issues that people are experiencing with the framerate but for me the game has been playing normal or atleast fluid enough where framerate dips aren't evident to me

Well shit!! Was looking forward to this all year. Could you recommend a newer game to dump my WorstBuy coupons on. Getting tired of COD. Thanks.

rocK`

Banned
I must be missing some piece of info. I've liberated settlements and bases, but how do I liberate the province? all liberat-able icons are blue in a province but the province is still red.

I must be missing some piece of info. I've liberated settlements and bases, but how do I liberate the province? all liberat-able icons are blue in a province but the province is still red.
You sure you're not missing a settlement or a base somewhere? Zoom out on the map and see if you've actually liberated everything. It'll give you a count.

Just chiming in on the load times - A) inconsistent and B) when bad they are BAAAAD. My load times for the gear challenges range from 15 sec to 2 minutes depending on the day / how often I have tried each repeatedly in a row.

Aside from that - still fun ... my kids and I have been doing call-out challenges all week versus each other. Nothing better than having a 8 year old get excited because he can hang upside down on a helicopter and shoot RPGs at cars.

On PS4 BTW.

vypek

I fucking hate every single challenge. None of them have been fun. Some are easy and some are more difficult but not a single one has been enjoyable for me.

I'm guessing you need a perfect bullseye on all targets for the gun challenges. And for the multi target ones I suppose you need to have the perfect number knocked down each time. Reminds me of the shooting gallery in GTA V which I also did not enjoy.

Also, I might upload a video later where I glitched by getting onto a vehicle and wound up in an invisible box.

EDIT: I wish the conditions in which I was doing a challenge remained the same. One instance the road is relatively clear and the other there is a fire fight going on and 3 cars parked on the road blocking me.

I got the ps4 version from gamefly because I forgot to remove it when I got the pc version.

Wow that is a difference. I have a slightly older pc (gtx 670, i7-2700k) but the load times, framerate and detail are way improved on pc.

Mik2121

For everybody saying it's broken or not, loading times are long, etc... could you state what platform you're playing it on, to help other users that haven't bought it yet?
I was wondering whether to buy it or not, but after all this feedback I'm not sure anymore.

Carm

Just had my first crash, was bombarding a bavarium mine with the Navajo double missles chopper. Framerate was at least in the teens, maybe lower, constant slow motion.

Edit: well one nice thing, it seems it saved everything I had destroyed at the site on the checklist
Edit 2: Game just crashed again just flying high, no fighting.

geomon

Aside from the loading times which are being worked, if I could change one thing it'd be not having upgrades locked behind challenges. You already have a point system in the game, make it a currency system and buy unlocks in game.

Unity2012

Aside from the loading times which are being worked, if I could change one thing it'd be not having upgrades locked behind challenges. You already have a point system in the game, make it a currency system and buy unlocks in game.

Agreed. It's so annoying. Not a game breaker by any means. I feel forced to do challenges I'm not interested at all. At least give challenges an in-game currency value-so gamers get to choose which ones to do.

Glad to hear they're working on load times.
Playing on XOne. Game is still really fun to play. I hope a patch is released soon.

Took a chance on opening my copy, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Wingsuit challenges are probably my favorite thing in here, since (exactly as I hoped) the wingsuit is probably my favorite thing in this game so far.

Haven't hit any horrendous loads yet (PS4), though the way story missions weave in and out of "in-game story bit > load > gameplay > load > in-game story bit > etc." really sucks any sort of momentum those missions could hope to have.

Haven't found anything really cool like in Just Cause 2 (no mile-high dance clubs :( ), but just moving around is fun enough for me to be pretty OK with it for now.

Barakov

Hmm. Sounds like I should wait before picking it up. There's no reason for a game to have load times of 2 minutes or more. Sounds like this game needed more time.

Undead

Hmm. Sounds like I should wait before picking it up. There's no reason for a game to have load times of 2 minutes or more. Sounds like this game needed more time.

Strange as it sounds, it's still worth it.
Don't get me wrong the load times are abysmal and something Avalanche should really be ashamed of but it's something I can put up with because it's not happening every 10 minutes (ala Mass Effect 1) and the game really is that much fun

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Any tips for the first wing suit challenge? I get to about the 3rd one and lose too much altitude. What am I missing?

I just can't my head around the wing suit, I can count the number if times i haven't smashed into the side of a mountain on one hand in these 1st few hours.
I just can't escape the feeling I'm going down always. Wish there was a jet booster or something. Also wish the grapple was longer.

vypek

Any tips for the first wing suit challenge? I get to about the 3rd one and lose too much altitude. What am I missing?

I haven't even gotten 5 gears on this one but getting good timing with reeling in as well as the speed boosted reeling might help.

To be honest, I think a lot of the challenges are designed to be repeated with powerups when you get them. I know the wing suit eventually has a powerup to slow you down which seems designed only for the challenges. There aren't a lot of situations where you want to go slow with the wingsuit. When you have better control by going slower, you can fly through the center rings better.

It kind of sucks that on these challenges, barely missing the bullseye is worth like 750 points...huge loss from the 2000 points you get through the center.

I just can't my head around the wing suit, I can count the number if times i haven't smashed into the side of a mountain on one hand in these 1st few hours.
I just can't escape the feeling I'm going down always. Wish there was a jet booster or something. Also wish the grapple was longer.

If you are using a controller, are you pulling back on the left stick to keep altitude? And yeah, the grapple length isn't too amazing in this. Feels too short to me.

Top Bottom