• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

You get a achievement when you mod the game haha that is cool! Finally installed the mod that removes the starting intro and just goes to the in log screen that makes it so much better also installed full tether and wingsuit mods.

Woah what's this now? Where can I find this? I assume PC.

kavanf1

Quick tip to allow for almost limitless traversal: launch yourself by grappling to a point and hitting your parachute button just before you fully reel in. Then when your parachute hits its full height, open your wingsuit. Now here's the important bit: once you've descended more than you want to while in the wingsuit, quickly switch to the parachute then switch back to the wingsuit (switch should take no more than a couple of seconds). Opening the parachute lifts you back up, then you get another burst of distance with the wingsuit.

The entire map opens up to you once you work that back and forth mechanism out, it's a thing of beauty.

Vex_

Banned

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
bXtCNbV.jpg

Woffls

This has exceeded my expectations so far. The wingsuit is the star so far - it's tricky to master, but learning and seeing improvement is very rewarding. For some reason I've really enjoyed the script and voice acting - not in a 'so bad it's funny' way like in JC2, either.

One thing that has really annoyed me is not being able to find an option to change the crosshair colour, so I can't see what the hell I'm aiming at. Makes target practice very difficult, so I've not unlocked any weapon upgrade stuff after like 20 hours. I'll find a mod for it next weekend.

Game looks incredible when you notice the lighting, though I remember spending more time looking at sunsets in JC2. Could do with some thunderstorms as well. Anyway, I'm sure I'll play this for a few years here and there providing there's plenty to do.

U2NUMB

This game is a flat out blast... buddy playing it next to me and we have had a ton of oh shit! moments. This one we found hilarious and we called it instant Karma. When you steal something thats not yours this might happen to you.

JC3 Instant Karma

kavanf1

Out of curiosity, I glided 30km up to the top left island - safe to say it wasn't worth the trip. There's nothing there. The highlight was probably the volcano area in a big crater - the ground sizzles when you walk on it but it doesn't seem to damage you.

pbmia8V.jpg

Also there's one section over on the east of the island where they haven't finished off the buildings:

zymZSdb.jpg

Edit: Member status, woo. Not sure how that happened.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This game is a flat out blast... buddy playing it next to me and we have had a ton of oh shit! moments. This one we found hilarious and we called it instant Karma. When you steal something thats not yours this might happen to you.

JC3 Instant Karma

Playing with the game's physics and propensity for explosions is too fun. The amount of debris that gets scattered around is amazing. Almost makes me feel like I'm playing Red Faction now and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWndRrVDKI

Out of curiosity, I glided 30km up to the top left island - safe to say it wasn't worth the trip. There's nothing there. The highlight was probably the volcano area in a big crater - the ground sizzles when you walk on it but it doesn't seem to damage you.
I wouldn't say nothing...
19849C3001DE4B17A43CA01F68D87E5562C2833B

Also there's one section over on the east of the island where they haven't finished off the buildings:
I had the buildings load perfectly fine at one point, then fuck up like that after visiting some more of the island, it was weird. There's a bunch of like Bull Head shrines there when the buildings are loading properly. It's a nice Pompeii nod overall.

Who else fucking hates the vehicle challenges? Especially the plane ones? Volo Burrone is fucking impossible to do with Urga U17 since it can't get enough speed to lift off. Who even uses vehicles in the Just Cause games? Outside of this bullshit and the horrendous load times, the game is very fun. Especially with the wing suit.

vypek

For those of you on PC, www.justcause3mods.com is up and running!

Everyone should install the mod that skips that stupid 30 second beach intro.

Wish I had this on PC so I can use these. It would make the game even better. I actually just want the challenge score one and maybe infinite tether. So damn hard for me to get these gears.

Who else fucking hates the vehicle challenges? Especially the plane ones? Volo Burrone is fucking impossible to do with Urga U17 since it can't get enough speed to lift off. Who even uses vehicles in the Just Cause games? Outside of this bullshit and the horrendous load times, the game is very fun. Especially with the wing suit.

None of the challenges are fun for me but yeah, vehicles handle like shit and make the vehicle challenges super annoying. It is probably always better to switch to a helicopter when you can since there are slightly more manageable than the planes. For how much they paid attention to the gear mods and upgrades to vehicles I am surprised how badly they designed vehicle use. Nail the basics before you move onto extras...

Wasted opportunity.

Purely visual Easter eggs are pretty weak in general IMO. Stuff like that cave or Thor's hammer, or the crashed Mile High Club, or the snowman, or the volcano would be so much more interesting with some strange interaction or scenario attached to them. Like a weird Rockstar style Strangers and Freaks encounter. Simply finding something in the world should only be half of the discovery. I wish they worked on stuff like that rather than creating dozens of challenges to gate upgrades.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I find that vehicles handle drastically different from one another, even within the same class. Many do handle like a burnt quesadilla, but there are others that aren't so bad. Bizarrely, using the nitrous boost seems to facilitate tighter turning.

Undead

I usually take a jet over to do the races, haven't unlocked it yet but if you park the jet just near where the Urga will spawn for the challenge it will still be there and can be used no problem.

GravyButt

Sorry to bug again but probably picking up very soon or early this week. Should I grab the xb1 or the ps4 version? I haven't really followed this thread too much other than hearing performance issues across all platforms. Only thing I can say is I prefer the xb1 controller. The resolution (if different) doesn't bother me all too much. Of course if one grossly performs better than the other then that's going to be the big factor. Thanks!

Ceebs

I tried to play the game on the couch at first and was not having any fun at all. I played the hell out of JC2 so this was a shock.

I gave it another go at the desk and the experience is night and day with mouse and keyboard. For some reason I need the precision aim of the mouse to play this game.

What's the deal with the Bragging Rights trophy?

Pretty certain I've beaten some player's score at some point in a challenge.

Edit: Got it after turning on Extended Leaderboards. I forgot to turn it back on after I though it was about the annoying feat leaderboards that constantly pop up.

Mossybrew

I'm at the beginning of the game and seem to have gotten lost? I can't find the next story mission - it seems to be "A Terrible Reaction" - online guides just say "go to the marker on your map" but I have no frikkin marker on my map. Help?

EDIT nevermind I'm dumb, just have to zoom out on the map to find it. Ugh.

Purely visual Easter eggs are pretty weak in general IMO. Stuff like that cave or Thor's hammer, or the crashed Mile High Club, or the snowman, or the volcano would be so much more interesting with some strange interaction or scenario attached to them. Like a weird Rockstar style Strangers and Freaks encounter. Simply finding something in the world should only be half of the discovery. I wish they worked on stuff like that rather than creating dozens of challenges to gate upgrades.

Have you seen the Stargate easter egg?

For those of you on PC, www.justcause3mods.com is up and running!

Everyone should install the mod that skips that stupid 30 second beach intro.

Finally, all the wingsuit/tether unlocks without having to do those stupid challenges. Thanks.

I'm enjoying the game so much so far. The wingsuit is awesome, I found myself playing gta online with some friends and I kept trying to use the grappling hook.

Every game should have a grappling hook.

Put ten hours into the game and I feel like I've seen and done everything the game has to offer. It's become mindlessly repetitive, so I'm just gonna stop now. Pretty disappointed.

BashNasty

I tried to play the game on the couch at first and was not having any fun at all. I played the hell out of JC2 so this was a shock.

I gave it another go at the desk and the experience is night and day with mouse and keyboard. For some reason I need the precision aim of the mouse to play this game.

Very interesting, I find the game nearly unplayable with the mouse and keyboard, despite my playing it on PC. Using the keyboard for the wingsuit isn't nearly as good, and to me, the wingsuit is the main fun of the game. The auto-aim works fine for the shooting.

cantona222

I finished mission 6 or 7 and checked the map and found no yellow indicator for a new story mission. I did some challenges thinking that a new story mission will appear shorty, but that did not happen. I did a little research and found this:

"Before you can start the next mission (Missile Cowboy), you need to liberate Cima Leon: CentCom."

Did I miss something? Is there a clear indication somewhere in the menu where it tells you what do do in order to unlock the next story mission?

SJRB

Gold Member
I finished mission 6 or 7 and checked the map and found no yellow indicator for a new story mission. I did some challenges thinking that a new story mission will appear shorty, but that did not happen. I did a little research and found this:

"Before you can start the next mission (Missile Cowboy), you need to liberate Cima Leon: CentCom."

Did I miss something? Is there a clear indication somewhere in the menu where it tells you what do do in order to unlock the next story mission?

Yeah this happens sometimes. It's not a clear indication, but instead of the usual yellow bull marker you get a grey one, indicating you haven't met requirements for the mission.

cantona222

Yeah this happens sometimes. It's not a clear indication, but instead of the usual yellow bull marker you get a grey one, indicating you haven't met requirements for the mission.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check the grey bull indicators from time to time.

hbkdx12

I wish there were a way to shoot out multiple tethers at the same time.

I really like using tethers to destroy objects but sometimes taking the time to attach multiple tethers can feel a bit cumbersome.

RedStep

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the grey bull indicators from time to time.

If you highlight the story mission on the map, it should show the prerequisites in the little info window that pops up (where it would normally show what you have to destroy etc).

Durden77

Damn the huge major island is so cool. Finally started exploring it tonight. The split up islands in the Southwest are also pretty rad. Kind of makes me wonder why they put you on that initial island for so long. It's so cookie cutter compared to these. Along with the gear mod unlocks, this game's pacing is weird sometimes.

Going to the highest mountain top in the game and looking around though, I see no sign of the Mile High Club. Shame, I loved that place in JC2. Still holding out hope something like it is in this game.

Top Bottom