• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

TVexperto

Yeah I was really looking forward to this game but after reading all those people having problems (load times, crashes etc, fps drops), I wont buy this game this year anymore, really sucks cause I wanted to play. I wish people would be more angry about this like they were with Unity, even Unity had smaller load times. I saw the video with over 3 minutes after someone died on JC3.

Any news about a patch soon?

Yeah I was really looking forward to this game but after reading all those people having problems (load times, crashes etc, fps drops), I wont buy this game this year anymore, really sucks cause I wanted to play. I wish people would be more angry about this like they were with Unity, even Unity had smaller load times. I saw the video with over 3 minutes after someone died on JC3.

Any news about a patch soon?

Wait so it's still busted on console?

McNum

Unlocked the F1 car today, just randomly found one on the side of the road. That thing is fun! With Nitro, it hits 320 KM/H and it has F1 brakes, too. You hit the brakes, it stops. Hard.

This is going to be my car of choice from now on.

That said, I also found the Verdeleon 3, so if that's something you're looking for,
look in the north-east of the main island, roughly at N 40 49.359 E 5 43.496. There's a structure on the map there. It holds three of them, pick your favorite color and go!

Bliddo

Wait so it's still busted on console?

Pretty much.
I usually don't mind load times, but JC3 load times are beyond belief. You mess up a challenge, and it takes around two minutes to restart, respawning you in pretty much the same place you died.

Undead

Unlocked the F1 car today, just randomly found one on the side of the road. That thing is fun! With Nitro, it hits 320 KM/H and it has F1 brakes, too. You hit the brakes, it stops. Hard.

This is going to be my car of choice from now on.

That said, I also found the Verdeleon 3, so if that's something you're looking for,
look in the north-east of the main island, roughly at N 40 49.359 E 5 43.496. There's a structure on the map there. It holds three of them, pick your favorite color and go!

Pfft, nothing better than rolling up in a soap box cart and hearing "here he is, a professional badass"

jwtsonga

HOW TO FIX the load times on ps4:

Go to ps4 settings --> network --> disconnect form internet. Now play the game and enjoy improved load times (significantly). It might also affect framerate IMHO. I've had a very smooth experience so far!!!

ZeroX03

Banned
Game isn't stable at all on my 980Ti and won't even launch on my friend's 770M. We'll grab the PS4 version if they ever patch it but otherwise kind of a bust.

SomTervo

Started playing yesterday, actual gameplay is crazy fun but...

- Holy shit at these load times. Worse than Bloodborne and Fallout 4 combined. It pretty much ruins the game since the challenges are the only way to get upgrades and I'm often having to restart them.

- No minimap is very aggravating. Cannot believe it doesn't have one.

- "Hey I need to return this bike I borrowed but I don't have time, could you do it for me?" just came out of a character's mouth, word for word. Could a lazier sidequest/worse line of dialogue exist?

No minimap is one of the best things about the game. It's a phenomenal design decision. I actually look at the world rather than staring at a little rotatable circle.

Also those little random side-quests get significantly better. They get to 'hey my really heavy car is out of petrol, can you tow it to a station?' *cue an insane, rollicking cliff-hanging car journey across motorways and through gunfights*

McNum

Pfft, nothing better than rolling up in a soap box cart and hearing "here he is, a professional badass"
I'm more worried at how many people have Rico's old racecar tattooed on their back. Was there a fad when he was a racecar driver or something?

Also, I'm considering going to the highest point in the game, calling in a sturdy boat and go sledding down the mountain. That ought to be worth a few kilometers in boat-sliding. My 1.3km score was an accident. I want to try what I can get on purpose... So, I need a good place for sledding.

Slayven

Go to ps4 settings --> network --> disconnect form internet. Now play the game and enjoy improved load times (significantly). It might also affect framerate IMHO. I've had a very smooth experience so far!!!

I figured the scoreboard nonsense would be a big part of the problem.

Arttemis

No minimap is one of the best things about the game. It's a phenomenal design decision. I actually look at the world rather than staring at a little rotatable circle.

I agree with this 100%. I almost always disable minimaps in open world games because far too much emphasis is spent at looking at the thing. Ubisoft games seem to benefit the most from it, because their whole catalog seems to be designed around chasing icons ad nauseam. When it's disabled, you can notice hundreds of things you'd otherwise run right past.

vypek

The option for minimap would be nice so I dont have to go into the menu when liberating a base to see whats left. Or for driving to a certain point. I liked the road markers when they werent all flat to the ground. Harder to tell a sharp turn now

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's next to impossible for a game's code to brick a PS4.

Looks like the HD failed, it's just that it happened to fail while they were playing a game.

http://community.us.playstation.com...S4-corrupted-data-ruins-console/td-p/44991533

Yep, that's similar to what happened to me except it wouldn't boot past the safe-mode and safe-mode-loop screens. The data corruption was too bad to go any further.

I hope that I get the coffin today or tomorrow and then the replacement next week. My PS2 back in the day had a 5-day turnaround including waiting for the box so I'm crossing my fingers.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood

Apart from the first day when I had a 10-minute reload-from-death, the load times have just been slightly annoying. I still regularly dump back to the PS store to start/cancel a new game for a placebo effect but all-in-all the times are bareable. I'm still putting the game back in the minute I get my PS4 back.

BigDug13

Yep, that's similar to what happened to me except it wouldn't boot past the safe-mode and safe-mode-loop screens. The data corruption was too bad to go any further.

I hope that I get the coffin today or tomorrow and then the replacement next week. My PS2 back in the day had a 5-day turnaround including waiting for the box so I'm crossing my fingers.

Did Sony extend the warranty like the 360 fiasco or are people paying a fee for a refurb replacement?

HigXx

Im missing two settlements in the last region but I have no idea where they are as I have liberated all of the provinces. Any help?

Drazgul

The game hasn't had an update since the initial day one patch.

They really dropped the ball with that - at least communicate with the players if the patch is taking time to finish. Afaik we haven't heard a peep other than the initial announcement that a patch is being worked on.

rob305

I started playing this on the Xbox 2 days ago and I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't have any technical issues. Loading times seem normal (never more than 30 seconds) and didn't experience any framerate problems. If it helps, I have the digital version and I'm playing from my external HDD

danowat

Banned
They really dropped the ball with that - at least communicate with the players if the patch is taking time to finish. Afaik we haven't heard a peep other than the initial announcement that a patch is being worked on.

Apart from saying "we are still working on it", what more could they do?

Blizzje

Apart from saying "we are still working on it", what more could they do?

How about some transparancy if they expect to fix the frame rate issues on the consoles. For people who are holding off buying a copy because of the issues, this could be valuable information. Also those who are about to trade their copy in because they deem the game unplayable could do with some clarification on if they expect to fix it or not.

Twitter makes communication easier than ever. Just have a programmer send one update a week. He or she can be vague about the optimisation, I respect that. But at least keep your customers informed.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Did Sony extend the warranty like the 360 fiasco or are people paying a fee for a refurb replacement?

I only got it in Feb so this is still under warranty. They will be giving the usual 90-Day Service Warranty on my replacement so it'll extend to March. I've been waiting until now or January anyway to purchase the extended warranty so that'll take care of any other issues going forward.

sk3tch

I started playing this on the Xbox 2 days ago and I'm enjoying it a lot. I don't have any technical issues. Loading times seem normal (never more than 30 seconds) and didn't experience any framerate problems. If it helps, I have the digital version and I'm playing from my external HDD

Thanks for posting. I have my XB1 disc-based version on an external drive. Hoping for the best. It took forever to install yesterday so I haven't even played it. :-/

E92 M3

Also those little random side-quests get significantly better. They get to 'hey my really heavy car is out of petrol, can you tow it to a station?' *cue an insane, rollicking cliff-hanging car journey across motorways and through gunfights*

Exactly, I wanted a minimap at first but now am rather happy just exploring the gorgeous world.

Vlad

Exactly, I wanted a minimap at first but now am rather happy just exploring the gorgeous world.

The only thing that bugged me about the lack of a minimap was that I would always use the one in JC2 to tell what direction enemy helicopters were coming from. Now you only know that they're coming, and while you can freelook around in cars, you're kind of screwed if you're also in a chopper.

I made craft.
D166D33982A896C67D69A77E04865C9A6FBE1123

5EB7BC4F2683015D29F9E6F9C3292FA549AD0A0E

F3F6AA62EF0AE8590AB62BA0D306209CC84D88BB

I made art.

I made hat.

I was just able to get the PS4 version of this game really cheap...I dunno if I should keep it or try selling it though, because I've heard the console versions have a lot of problems prior to release. Can anyone give me some insight? It's a digital version, so I can't try it first unless I choose to keep it.

hbkdx12

I was just able to get the PS4 version of this game really cheap...I dunno if I should keep it or try selling it though, because I've heard the console versions have a lot of problems prior to release. Can anyone give me some insight? It's a digital version, so I can't try it first unless I choose to keep it.

Most people say it's terrible with massive frame dips when shit really gets going (which is virtually all the time) I haven't experienced anything that's remotely hindered my performance in the slightest after dozens of hours but i realize im the outlier

Do you like JC2? Then I would say just go for it. The framerate issue isn't that bad, unless you're really sensitive to it, I dont think its that bad.

The load times are definitely a problem, but luckily the workaround makes them bearable until a patch is made.

The game is awesome otherwise.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Wish there was an option where Rico wouldn't stop himself falling off any edge/ledge, stubbornly refusing to move forwards unless you jump or grapple. Sometimes you just want to drop down to the level below but stand there like a moron absorbing all the bullets like nourishing candy.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Just found this in the Steam community:

AN UPDATE TO OUR PLAYERS
Sorry for the radio silence - we've just been super busy trying to solve as many reported issues as possible. We hope to have some positive information next week particularly about improving load times and online leaderboard issues as well as a bunch of crash bugs.

Thanks again for all your amazing support!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225540/discussions/0/487876568226326185/

Durden77

I'm torn between continuing to binge on this game or wait for the patch. If I keep going like I am now, I'll have blown everything up by the time the patch hits.

I'm worried that this post didn't mention framerate, which is by far the most annoying aspect to me. Haven't had much load time issues and there's a quick fix if it does occur, and no crashes yet.

chekhonte

I'm playing the game at 4k at the game seems to limit itself at 30fps. It never goes above or below unless I pause the game and it immediately goes to 60fps. Go figure.

I'm fine with the game at 30.

GHG

Gold Member
Game isn't stable at all on my 980Ti and won't even launch on my friend's 770M. We'll grab the PS4 version if they ever patch it but otherwise kind of a bust.

What are you talking about.

The game runs smooth as butter on my 980ti at 1080p. So much so that I decided to downsample from 2400 x 1350. At that res I only get slight framerate drops when the explosions get really crazy but nothing below 40fps EVER.

You have a 980ti and you're considering getting it for the ps4 to fix the "problems" you are having? Give me a break.

vypek

Someone hit my helicopter, it tilted onto its side as it hit the ground a little but wouldn't let me bail out and just killed me. :/ I wanted to try and do that thing where you clear 5 star heat.

EDIT: I hope that patch isn't just for PC.

Seems like the helicopter is almost stunned for a second when a tank fires at it. I was able to bail this time because I was at a higher altitude. Interesting.

chekhonte

Just to make sure since I don't know this community all that well. All you you have installed the latest video driver right? I was having similar stuttering and uneven frame rate problems until I did that.

Undead

Someone hit my helicopter, it tilted onto its side as it hit the ground a little but wouldn't let me bail out and just killed me. :/ I wanted to try and do that thing where you clear 5 star heat.

EDIT: I hope that patch isn't just for PC.

Seems like the helicopter is almost stunned for a second when a tank fires at it. I was able to bail this time because I was at a higher altitude. Interesting.

I've noticed that same thing happening with cars as well, sometimes I try to bail while it's still got some speed but it won't let me and by the time I can bail there's no momentum to carry me away from the explosion.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'm playing the game at 4k at the game seems to limit itself at 30fps. It never goes above or below unless I pause the game and it immediately goes to 60fps. Go figure.

Can you please describe what 4K gaming is like in regards to this game, please? Can't even imagine

They did say that though.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/225540/announcements/detail/101692171981969216

...We know you’re going to want specific information on when a patch will land and what will be fixed – we would love to give you that information, and we will as soon as we have it. But right now, a little over one day since we launched, we have huge numbers of players in our enormous game world and we’re monitoring all the data coming in.

We need a little bit of time to recreate some of these issues and build fixes. Rest assured though – we are fully committed to making Just Cause 3 as awesome as possible. We already know loads of people are having a blast with the game but we’ll do all we can to make sure everyone is laughing and smiling as they play...

Granted that's for PC but it doesn't seem likely they'd fix one platform and leave the others high and dry.

I'm torn between continuing to binge on this game or wait for the patch. If I keep going like I am now, I'll have blown everything up by the time the patch hits.

I'm worried that this post didn't mention framerate, which is by far the most annoying aspect to me. Haven't had much load time issues and there's a quick fix if it does occur, and no crashes yet.

Personally I decided to wait. Other games to play, and it wouldn't be right to this game to experience it at a subpar level (all lowest settings). It's been really fun so far, so once it's fixed it ought to be even more fun and immersive.

chekhonte

Can you please describe what 4K gaming is like in regards to this game, please? Can't even imagine

Some games benefit more than others. Really dense visual information works well. Being in a wooded area really shine in this game as well as the witcher 3. At 1080, which is what I used to game at things like forests just become so much noise as each shape is being represented by just a handful of pixels. 4k small things start to take on a defined shape. Grass, leaves the subtleties of the billowing smoke in explosions really shine. The water has tessellation and it looks really good even a hundred of virtual feet above it in a helicopter. Light shimmers off it and distorts what's below it. The shimmering effect of hot air also looks great.

EDIT: Seeing your avatar I really want to play bloodborne in 4k though I know that it'll never happen. I was playing it again after the DLC came out and was impressed by how good it looks. I'd love to see with with improved texture filtering and AA at a higher resolution.

Lego Boss

Most people say it's terrible with massive frame dips when shit really gets going (which is virtually all the time) I haven't experienced anything that's remotely hindered my performance in the slightest after dozens of hours but i realize im the outlier

Apart from significant load times (which do seem to improve as you progress, but that might be perception bias), l've not had any game-breaking FPS dips.

It might be GAFerbole, or it might be that l not sensitive to it.

Irrespective this is a really fun game and ideal to play in 1-2 hour chunks, which fits my lifestyle perfectly.

Stitch

Gold Member

You have vsync enabled, right? The vsync in this games is double-buffered. I don't know why this is still being used in 2015 but there's a way to fix this.

Right click on Just cause 3 in your steam list and go to properties, then launch options. Copy and paste this into the launch options:

/windowed /borderless

start the game and disable fullscreen in the options.

now you have borderless windowed mode with triple buffered vsync.

Everyone should do this to get a much better, more stable framerate.

Erban1

Bought the digital PS4 version, any issues known?

There's a loading bug when restarting challenges where it can take minutes to load back up. You can fix it by jumping back to the dashboard for 5 seconds if a challenge takes longer than 30 seconds to load.

Also performance is inconsistent...a few random frame drops, and when a bunch of shit is exploding the frame rate tanks.

Beyond that I haven't had any crashes or visual glitches. With some optimization it'll be really solid.

Top Bottom