• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 |OT| Procedural Chaos

So no official word on a console patch release date?

I'd rather they took their time and really hammered out the framerate issues and got loading times down to sane levels. I haven't touched the game since last Wednesday because of these issues, and I'd hate if they released a half assed patch.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'd rather they took their time and really hammered out the framerate issues and got loading times down to sane levels. I haven't touched the game since last Wednesday because of these issues, and I'd hate if released a half assed patch.
Totally agreed. I've just heard conflicting reports about a patch, that one is coming soon, that there's been no talk of one or even acknowledgment of the issue, etc. if they are indeed interested in fixing these problems, I'm willing to wait, but I wasn't even sure it was in the works.

Undead

How do these leaderboards work anyway?
I have like ten people on mine and I'm either at the top or 2nd in all of them, don't games usually have a worldwide leaderboard instead of a random selection of strangers?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So no official word on a console patch release date?

The official word is they are working on it but can't give it a date yet because they are still collecting feedback and they need to make sure the patch doesn't break other stuff.

xrnzaaas

I have like ten people on mine and I'm either at the top or 2nd in all of them, don't games usually have a worldwide leaderboard instead of a random selection of strangers?

Yep, same here. Either I'm alone on the leaderboard or with another friend who's playing the game or with a few random people. :/ I have tried turning extended leaderboards on and off - didn't change anything.

Durden77

I have no idea. It's weirding me out too.

Right now it says I'm #3 on the Chaos leaderboards. There's no way that's true. Makes me want to go for that island...which is probably their plan.

It also says I'm #1 in parachute climbing. No way that's the world. I mean, I went pretty high, but comon.

danowat

Banned
That will indeed be interesting.

So basically it was........

"Thanks for bringing up the issues to our attention, we are still getting feedback and are working on it."

So none of these issues were ever apparently in pre-release play testing?, bollocks, they know exactly what the issues are, and just did the usual, "fuck it, ship it, we'll think about fixing it later"

edit : Ok, so the guy was a bit more humble than that last statement, but it's obvious they knew the state it was in, but it had to be released regardless.

Let's hope they fix it.

Edit 2: Decent interview, enjoyable listen, apart from the slightly iffy sound quality, thanks for that.

Roussow

So i'd hate to take away from the discussion here by asking about frame rate issues.
But it's the only thing that's actually stopping me from going ahead and purchasing the game. To those who have a lot of experience with the PS4 version of the game -- how bad actually is it. I know I can look at the digital foundry videos, but they really don't mean much to me. Some games aren't awfully affected by slowdown and other technical issues, and I ended up playing a lot of cross gen games in recent years on PS3, some of which can be really, really rough, but I don't think anything has ever ruined the experience. The worst offender would be Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS3. Is it playable? Does it affect your control or aiming ability. I was fine with Fallout, so i'm wondering whether i'll be okay here.

danowat

Banned
As I have said previously, peoples experiences seem to vary from "completely unplayable", to "it's not that bad".

I've put a lot of hours into the PS4 version, and yes, there are framerate issues, but for me, they aren't wide spread enough, or bad enough to affect MY enjoyment of the game, but YMMV.

Would I prefer a solid 30fps, of course I would, who wouldn't, but the game is perfectly playable even in it's current state.

As I have said previously, peoples experiences seem to vary from "completely unplayable", to "it's not that bad".

I've put a lot of hours into the PS4 version, and yes, there are framerate issues, but for me, they aren't wide spread enough, or bad enough to affect MY enjoyment of the game, but YMMV.

Would I prefer a solid 30fps, of course I would, who wouldn't, but the game is perfectly playable even in it's current state.

The framerate issued don't bother me too much, it's the damn loading times that kill it for me. I'm just not going to play it anymore until it's patched because it's too much. Can't remember the last game I played that had loading times lasting close to 5 minutes at times.

danowat

Banned
The framerate issued don't bother me too much, it's the damn loading times that kill it for me. I'm just not going to play it anymore until it's patched because it's too much. Can't remember the last game I played that had loading times lasting close to 5 minutes at times.

Agree, they suck, but the "PS Button, application exit" trick works on that little issue.

What are your thoughts on the graphics so far? Compared to Witcher 3 for example....

I only saw some youtube videos thus far, but noticed a lot of low polly texturesand doesn't seem to have a lush vegetation like JC2 did. Am I wrong? (hope so). Oh, and I'm talking about the console version.

When the game takes longer than 10-20s to load, press the PS button to return to dash, start another game, but instead of saying exit app, return to game and it will load almost straight away.

Wow if that's the case then the load times are clearly some kind of bug that they need to fix asap.

BTW I got 9 dollar refund from Amazon on this game for no reason after I received it. Does anyone know why?

danowat

Banned
Wow if that's the case then the load times are clearly some kind of bug that they need to fix asap.

Some people have hypothesised that it's flushing the memory, but I've no idea, maybe the game is polling some servers or something else, and (almost) quitting the game stops it, but whatever, it works!

I have finally found something that is awful in this game. Down to just needing 1 or 2 items for a clearing a base/province, but you can't find them anywhere and you're standing right on them on the minimap. I guess it's underground or some shit? On Le Tutor (the island base thing) and man, I cannot find the Substation Controls to save my life. 20 minutes just aimlessly running around looking. Really anti-fun.

Oh, "Substation Controls" aren't a control panel, it's a hidden generator-looking thing. Looks just like the other generators/transformers.

danowat

Banned
I have finally found something that is awful in this game. Down to just needing 1 or 2 items for a clearing a base/province, but you can't find them anywhere and you're standing right on them on the minimap. I guess it's underground or some shit? On Le Tutor (the island base thing) and man, I cannot find the Substation Controls to save my life. 20 minutes just aimlessly running around looking. Really anti-fun.

Have you checked the map?, once you're down to a few items, they'll show on the map.

mujun

So i'd hate to take away from the discussion here by asking about frame rate issues.
But it's the only thing that's actually stopping me from going ahead and purchasing the game. To those who have a lot of experience with the PS4 version of the game -- how bad actually is it. I know I can look at the digital foundry videos, but they really don't mean much to me. Some games aren't awfully affected by slowdown and other technical issues, and I ended up playing a lot of cross gen games in recent years on PS3, some of which can be really, really rough, but I don't think anything has ever ruined the experience. The worst offender would be Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS3. Is it playable? Does it affect your control or aiming ability. I was fine with Fallout, so i'm wondering whether i'll be okay here.

There were a few spots right at the start where it dropped quite a lot but since then I've had pretty much no trouble. I'm sure it's not perfect but it doesn't feel as noticeable as it does with Fallout 4.

I've cleared like 20 bases, seen heaps of explosions along the way. Put in about 10+ hours.

I've had no trouble aiming or enjoying the destruction.

I also play offline, not sure if that helps. It definitely helps with the loading. When I was playing online I'd occasionally get a long load time (over a minute) even had one instance where it took like five minutes or something.

Have you checked the map?, once you're down to a few items, they'll show on the map.

That's what I mean, it was on the map, but it turned out that it was hidden underground where I was standing. Took me way too long to find it I guess. "Substation Controls" sounded like a control panel to me, but it turns out it's a large transformer-looking thing.

I mean, now that I read the word again, I see "sub" as meaning "below" and I guess that was the clue I needed to follow.

danowat

Banned
That's what I mean, it was on the map, but it turned out that it was hidden underground where I was standing. Took me way too long to find it I guess. "Substation Controls" sounded like a control panel to me, but it turns out it's a large transformer-looking thing.

I mean, now that I read the word again, I see "sub" as meaning "below" and I guess that was the clue I needed to follow.

Ahhh, gotcha, yeah, some of them can be hard to find!

McNum

Someone tell me why I did this...
756B3C5A91C1AF167C79447AA698A9062D26EBBB
Because, seriously... fuck that boat. It's too heavy to lift with a helicopter, not to mention the tethers break if I try (I so need to upgrade those), and it's found in an inland lake 3km from the ocean.

But where there's a will...
...there's a tether. And then you throw it off a cliff and hope it survives the fall.

And since vehicles are tougher when Rico is inside, well, my competition on the "Longest boat travel on land" highscore list are going to be in for quite the surprise. 1.3km in tumbling freefall through a forest, hoping the boat survives until it hits the water. Then it's just sailing it to Manaea and chopping it.

But it's mine now. One down, two to go. The hidden Sports car and the F1 car. I'll find those yet.

So, if anyone else has a smarter way to collect the Squalo X7, do tell. I couldn't think of any other way than the hard way.

MrDwels

Neo Member
Biggest issue I've had so far is that the side activities are boring and the upgrades are locked behind them. I've only found one grappling upgrade so far and I'm 33% done with the game. Air races are near impossible without jets, and most of the destruction missions I beat by grabbing a suspiciously convenient helicopter. I almost wish I unlocked mods through causing chaos and meeting milestones.

Vlad

Someone tell me why I did this...

Because, seriously... fuck that boat. It's too heavy to lift with a helicopter, not to mention the tethers break if I try (I so need to upgrade those), and it's found in an inland lake 3km from the ocean.

But where there's a will...

...there's a tether. And then you throw it off a cliff and hope it survives the fall.

And since vehicles are tougher when Rico is inside, well, my competition on the "Longest boat travel on land" highscore list are going to be in for quite the surprise. 1.3km in tumbling freefall through a forest, hoping the boat survives until it hits the water. Then it's just sailing it to Manaea and chopping it.

But it's mine now. One down, two to go. The hidden Sports car and the F1 car. I'll find those yet.

So, if anyone else has a smarter way to collect the Squalo X7, do tell. I couldn't think of any other way than the hard way.

Tell me where the lake is and I'll take a crack at it. I figured it was going to be in a lake somewhere due to the description in the drop list, but despite checking every lake I've come across, the only thing that I found was the rubber ducky boat (which, sadly, can't be chopped).

Mossybrew

To those who have a lot of experience with the PS4 version of the game -- how bad actually is it. .

It hasn't bothered me at all, I only notice low framerate/slowdown every once in a while, not really an issue IMO. I also haven't seen these freakish load times people have been talking about so maybe I've just been lucky.

Roussow

It hasn't bothered me at all, I only notice low framerate/slowdown every once in a while, not really an issue IMO. I also haven't seen these freakish load times people have been talking about so maybe I've just been lucky.

I always assumed that's because the game is pinging a server, and gets trapped in limbo if it doesn't immediately connect.

Vlad

Managed to find online where that boat is. It is possible to lift it via helecopter, though. I used the Urga Hrom D and all six tethers and was able to get it off the ground. The tethers did start to snap on the way to the garage, though. I kept having to exit the chopper and retethering mid-flight. About 500 meters from the garage, I lost three of the tethers, which was enough to throw the chopper off-balance when I went out to replace them, sending me into a nearby gas station.

So yeah, I haven't managed to get the thing chopped yet.

Aerocrane

Managed to find online where that boat is. It is possible to lift it via helecopter, though. I used the Urga Hrom D and all six tethers and was able to get it off the ground. The tethers did start to snap on the way to the garage, though. I kept having to exit the chopper and retethering mid-flight. About 500 meters from the garage, I lost three of the tethers, which was enough to throw the chopper off-balance when I went out to replace them, sending me into a nearby gas station.

I just drove the boat onto land and then got it to the garage by tethering the boat to the road and retracting the tether.

This game seems really easy to me. Like I might blow through the mandatory missions and be done in a few hours. I don't like hiding the upgrade gears behind boring minigames.

That being said, it's still fun to go around and blow shit up. Now if they would only fix the loading times.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I've put a bunch of time into the PS4 version and it's quite playable, but there are A LOT of dips. The worst dips are during huge explosions -- frame rate really plummets hard. Combat is totally playable though, even with drops. Just not smooth, at all.

Also, the load times can be improved by signing out of PlayStation Network before you play -- I personally went from 90 seconds to 2-3 minutes per loading screen, to about 15-45 seconds now. Made everything much less annoying, particularly the challenges (which you end up playing several times minimum before getting a good score).

Game is still really fun and a hell of a stress reliever, even with all the technical problems. And it's also made me laugh quite a few times, I'm loving it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So basically it was........

"Thanks for bringing up the issues to our attention, we are still getting feedback and are working on it."

So none of these issues were ever apparently in pre-release play testing?, bollocks, they know exactly what the issues are, and just did the usual, "fuck it, ship it, we'll think about fixing it later"

edit : Ok, so the guy was a bit more humble than that last statement, but it's obvious they knew the state it was in, but it had to be released regardless.

Let's hope they fix it.

Edit 2: Decent interview, enjoyable listen, apart from the slightly iffy sound quality, thanks for that.

Thanks for listening and yea that is the sense I got from them, they were aware of the issues but corporate mandated is be out before Christmas and stuck between a rock and a hard place they were.

McNum

So you can lift it with six tethers and the first strength mod? Well, barely.

But now you know what the problem is. This boat is just too darn heavy. Which does mean that wehen mine was hurdling down a forested hill, it took out any tree it touched. It's tank-weight or similar.
I just drove the boat onto land and then got it to the garage by tethering the boat to the road and retracting the tether.
Where is the nearest garage, anyway? The only town I've found on the big island is the capital. Seems like it's all nature and military otherwise.

jet1911

I just finished liberating the last settlement that unlock the Scrapyard challenges (to upgrade the numbers/strenght of the tethers). Probably the most usefull upgrades in the game.

Vlad

So you can lift it with six tethers and the first strength mod? Well, barely.

But now you know what the problem is. This boat is just too darn heavy. Which does mean that wehen mine was hurdling down a forested hill, it took out any tree it touched. It's tank-weight or similar.

Where is the nearest garage, anyway? The only town I've found on the big island is the capital. Seems like it's all nature and military otherwise.

I was taking it to that city that's perched right on the edge of that steep cliff. I think that's the closest one to where the boat spawns (assuming there's not more than one lake where it spawns).

Top Bottom