• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

Banning a legitimate (paying) customer because you apparently can't differentiate between genuine discs and copies is anti-consumer as hell. If your banning system can create false positives so easily, change it or don't enforce it.

The only scenario in which MS aren't assholes here is if the actual disc is a bootleg the consumer bought unknowingly but AFAIK, this isn't possible on 360.

They most certainly ARE assholes.

THIS incident however is the least assholish of things they have done this generation...if assholish at all.

I guess not so good, because it's clearly not getting through to you. You still seem to think the OP did something wrong when he purchased a fucking video game from a video game retailer.

Let's be a bit realistic here.

He most likely got banned for being a software pirate because he's playing an incredibly high profile game well before launch date. The one item that he could produce to prove that he isn't a pirate or that he's not playing a bootleg copy or a real-but-stolen copy is a receipt.

Except he doesn't have a receipt.

OP put himself in a situation where he wasn't exactly set up for success.

Ploid 3.0

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is most certainly NOT Halo 4.

C'mon now...

Oh so you have to look up which games may get you banned or be aware of it. Since you could get games early and never been banned it could condition you to think it's a good way to beat the wait time if you're lucky enough to find it. Then all of a sudden you buy Cuddle Bunnies 5: Rainbow is Love (for your daughter of course ;) ) and get banned.

shandy706

While the OP gives a "reason" he doesn't have a receipt....

Has there been ANY revelation that proves he didn't steal it?

Or are we just taking people on the internet at their word now?

I could easily steal a game (or buy a hot copy) and create the same story with no receipt.

gatti-man

He owns it when he pays for it. That's how the law works.
He bought it when he bought it. That's how time works.

Not receiving a receipt does not make you a criminal.

They didn't accept payment yet. Read the OP. they will ring it through on launch day. Sorry but that isn't how software works. It's more like a preorder where you pre download the software. The transaction isn't completed until launch day.

I'd be surprised if this were actually true; there are many sales that take place without a receipt being given. Food trucks, street vendors, carnival merchandise, selling things on Craiglist. And I highly doubt the store could claim it stolen or missing because they have the money in the till to account for the game.

Everything legally should have a bill of sale or receipt. Since the transaction was not completed until launch day OP technically and I bet legally did not have rights to his software license yet.

I could easily steal a game (or buy a hot copy) and create the same story with no receipt.

Really? He is going to steal a copy of the game and then post pics online, and on neogaf. Geez people. I swear.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Is there any reason to not believe him?

Oh so you have to look up which games may get you banned or be aware of it. Since you could get games early and never been banned it could condition you to think it's a good way to beat the wait time if you're lucky enough to find it. Then all of a sudden you buy Cuddle Bunnies 5: Rainbow is Love (for your daughter of course ;) ) and get banned.

If Cuddle Bunnies 5: Rainbow is Love (my daughter would fucking love this game...someone make this please) was a Microsoft published game that also happened to be one of the most hyped/anticipated games of the year...

I'd think twice about going into a store weeks before launch and buying it to play.

And then...if I still bought it. I'd play it offline.

jaaz

Lots of emotion here, but I doubt this will be a permanent ban. I suspect that MS is automatically banning everyone playing this game until they can determine on a case by case basis that the copy is not pirated. If that's the case, I don't think that's unreasonable at 10+ days before release. At 2 days yes, but at 10+? No.

Just un-ban him on the release date! :)

Ploid 3.0

Maybe he owns the store, his friend or family member owns the store (family business type of thing), or he had a friend on the inside that will keep things on the down low until it's time to sell the games. Though Mom and Pop stores are notorious for selling their stuff whenever they feel like it. They could be used to it, and look at it as one of the perks they have for being so small. Doing something like this could be so easy for them to manage, they probably know their customers by name or whatever.

Ploid 3.0

If Cuddle Bunnies 5: Rainbow is Love (my daughter would fucking love this game...someone make this please) was a Microsoft published game that also happened to be one of the most hyped/anticipated games of the year...

I'd think twice about going into a store weeks before launch and buying it to play.

And then...if I still bought it. I'd play it offline.

Next project for the guys making Dude Brow II!

Ploid 3.0

Lots of emotion here, but I doubt this will be a permanent ban. I suspect that MS is automatically banning everyone playing this game until they can determine on a case by case basis that the copy is not pirated. If that's the case, I don't think that's unreasonable at 10+ days before release. At 2 days yes, but at 10+? No.

Just un-ban him on the release date! :)

But while banned he can't play his other games online and such. Is this their only method of finding xbox pirates? It seem kinda bad. They should find a way to sniff out modded xboxes instead.

jcm

Let's be a bit realistic here.

He most likely got banned for being a software pirate because he's playing an incredibly high profile game well before launch date. The one item that he could produce to prove that he isn't a pirate or that he's not playing a bootleg copy or a real-but-stolen copy is a receipt.

Except he doesn't have a receipt.

OP put himself in a situation where he wasn't exactly set up for success.

Sure. And during the release of the last game in this exact same series they explicitly said that people who buy the game early have nothing to worry about, because the issue is between MS and the retailer.

Mikor

$60 a year. we built this empire for them.

Cheers. Situations like these makes Live feel like the biggest scam this generation. When most people readily admit the only reason they pay for Live is due to friends' presence on it, and that's their main selling point...well...

But while banned he can't play his other games online and such. Is this their only method of finding xbox pirates? It seem kinda bad. They should find a way to sniff out modded xboxes instead.

I'm sure if they could "sniff" out modded boxes...they would. Of course, in a month's time, the software pirate types would have figured out a way to hide themselves again.

This whole thing reeks of the "simple corporate solution".

Easier to just ban anyone playing Halo 4 before launch. Put the onus on the customer to provide proof of purchase.

I'm sure they think they'll burn more pirates than customers. They're probably not wrong.

Sure. And during the release of the last game in this exact same series they explicitly said that people who buy the game early have nothing to worry about, because the issue is between MS and the retailer.

And maybe he DOESN'T have anything to worry about? Maybe they will indeed hear what he has to say and lift the ban? I said before that it's not an ideal way to address software piracy but it certainly IS a way and a fairly effective one at quickly identifying possible software pirates.

Note..."possible".

Clearly they think it's worth alienating the small number of people that will be negatively impacted by this policy because they legitimately acquired the game weeks before launch.

I'm not certain that's the process that someone needs to go through but if it is...that's fucked. Which is precisely why I no longer have any interest in playing a game before official launch. There are other, better reasons as well but on the off-chance that I'm going to have to go through a song and dance such as this? Why bother?

You misunderstood me. I said ban EVERYONE. And then ask to show proofs that their console is not pirated. As you say, this is not anti-user, if you have the change to prove that you're innocent.

Or, well, instead of banning everyone, let's only ban the suspicious ones. For example, the ones that have more than 50 retail games on their backlog. And then ask them to show the receipts of those games. A lot of people that have more than 50 retail games in the backlog are pirates (or press) so, following your argument, it's ok to ban all the people with more than 50 games.

This is not anti-consumer at all, and it will eliminate the piracy on 360.

Syriel

and are probably going out of business, but that's OK! Street dates and microsoft banning people is anti consumer, lack of competition by mom and pop shops breaking street dates is pro consumer! (another case of gaf not really knowing what is and what isn't pro/anti consumer)

Street dates are there for the benefit of mom and pop stores. It's a protectionist measure designed to favor the little guys.

Except... have you really? Who owns the product before the release date? I'm thinking for all this to hold out, it means Microsoft are the entity that actually owns those copies prior to release date. Which strikes me as a little curious, but just about seems to hold together.

Most video games are give to the store on a net 90 term. Which means the store doesn't pay for it until after it's sold it.

And if there is a price drop, the store doesn't eat that cost. It's handled by the distributor/manufacturer.

this is from the big internet:

A receipt is proof of a valid, executed contract.

A contract simply requires meeting of the minds and consideration.

you should contact kotaku, they usually blow things like this wide open and eventually the company involved in the case ends up giving a statement and if you manage to prove you acquire the game legally MS most likely would restore everything back to normal

Did you read the thread?

MS is already reversing the ban, even in the absence of proof. There's no reason for outrage against anyone except the store that sold it.

Doubly so since OP said store was doing this for multiple people. In doing so that store probably screwed over a number of other customers.

If I am a consumer, I don't deal with MS, I deal with a store. They are in the wrong, I just want to play a game and am not the one breaking any rules, because I didn't agree to any rules. This is just crazy...

As a consumer, what do I have to do with the effect early sales have on Microsoft's business. That's not my problem, that's an issue between them and the retailers.

Rules: You probably ignored it, but it is covered in the ToS.

As for the ban, it's on the store for ultimately selling (and creating the condition) that resulted in a ban. It should be on the store to fix it.

But out of cuirosity, what if I bought the game from eBay or CL? There are plenty of copies to buy early right now, and I'm sure none of those would have a receipt. But surely, you wouldn't suggest antyhing/everything bought from eBay is illegitmate.

Many manufacturers consider anything sold on eBay used.

You won't get warranty support or anything like that.

Buying from eBay is like buying from a guy down the street or off CL. You have no idea if the merchandise is stolen or legit.

Gah, one more post.

Just to clear it up- no, didn't know the risks of getting perm'd over a legit copy. In an earlier post I said I Googled before playing and only saw a week old Kotaku post about pirated copies. In the past, I can't recall any console bans over a retail copy of a game.

This is what Wario was talking about earlier.

Correct on all parts. Youre prevented from accessing any part of online services, includng Marketplace, patches, etc. Used to be (may still be) that the ban would also corrupt any profile-linked hdd data such as game saves, avatars, etc.

These days banning prevents all access to the online service, but doesn't corrupt the console AFAIK. Everything still works, you just can't connect to Xbox Live or any of its related services. It's as though you're playing with a local, offline profile.

If you persuade someone to do something that bans your console, and your only choice to unban that console is showing a receipt of said store selling it to you... what would you do if it's "just a clerk" and you're potentially losing your console/gamertag? Some people will rat out the retailers, making that clerk an unemployed person.

I don't go around stores trying to break the street date. Even when I worked for a short time in one of the stores, we only could take a game the night before release date itself at most.

Most consumers would probably rat out the store in a heartbeat. If a store sold them something that got them banned (and the store knew it shouldn't be selling it), then there is a theory of strict liability which could see the consumer holding the store financially responsible for his/her loss.

As many have said, it's the store's fault. It would be the store's responsibility to make the customer whole.

Some retailers get their stock before others. Like Best Buy will get it before the mom and pop down the street because they buy way more copies. It is there so that it is fair to all retailers regardless of when your stock arrives, everyone sells on the same day. As blitzcloud pointed out, it is there to help small retailers compete with big retailers.

Not having street dates would completely screw over the little retailers. If a mom and pop store has it, all of the big box stores have it (and have had it) for awhile. Back in high school I worked for a chain retailer selling music and movies. Whenever a local shop would break street date on something, our manager would send an employee out to buy a copy. Once we had proof another retailer was selling (was needed so the mfg wouldn't fine or blacklist our chain) we would put our stock out. And we'd always have a lot more available (sometimes at a lower price since new releases were always on sale).

Yeah, that's not a law. Again, it is not illegal to sell a video game before street date. If you disagree, then please cite a criminal prosecution for it. This should be easy to find, since just about every single street date gets broken somewhere. I imagine the jails are full of these people, just like the jails are full of drug dealers.

You're right, it's not criminal law, but there are penalties under civil law. Stores that break street can be fined or blacklisted.

It's not "unfair competition", as its completely up to the retailers to ensure their product arrives from their distribution centers to their stores. In the case of a mom-and-pop retailer, odds are they receive product direct from the manufacturer as opposed to from a distribution center, so they get the playing field leveled by not having to jump through the extra logistical step of distribution.

I believe my reply to blitzcloud about covers this. Again, if the publishers have a timed date release of their products to retailers, the onus is on the retailers to keep their competitive advantage. It is not, nor should it be, the publisher's responsibility to uphold a given company's competitive advantages.

You've got it flipped around. Mom-and-pops are going to buy from a distributor (likely a local distributor as they're not going to have a large enough account to interest a large national distributor). Big box stores like Best Bey are the ones getting shipments direct from Microsoft.

Now, consider Microsoft's history with regulators.

Can you imagine the utter shitstorm (especially in the EU) that would arise if MS said "Fuck it, no more street dates! Sell it when you get it?"

Suddenly big box stores are selling Halo 4 a week before the mom and pops even get that shit in. There would be cries of unfair competition, favoritism, monopolistic practices, illegal stock allocation, etc. And lots and lots of lawsuits.

Everything legally should have a bill of sale or receipt.
So I don't own the things I buy from people off Craigslist because I don't get either of those things? I don't own the stuff I buy at the local street fair? Is this an actual legal principle you're citing here or are you just making it up?

Since the transaction was not completed until launch day OP technically and I bet legally did not have rights to his software license yet.

1) I've never seen a software license that explicitly included the provision that the product cannot be used until a certain date; what does the Halo 4 EULA say?

2) Software licenses do not have the force of law.

3) Even if they did, they would be civil violations, not criminal violations.

Besides which, if you're going to argue that he didn't technically "own" the game before the street date, one could argue that he couldn't technically agree to its license agreement either, so your argument is self-defeating.

Ploid 3.0

I'm sure if they could "sniff" out modded boxes...they would. Of course, in a month's time, the software pirate types would have figured out a way to hide themselves again.

This whole thing reeks of the "simple corporate solution".

Easier to just ban anyone playing Halo 4 before launch. Put the onus on the customer to provide proof of purchase.

I'm sure they think they'll burn more pirates than customers. They're probably not wrong.

And maybe he DOESN'T have anything to worry about? Maybe they will indeed hear what he has to say and lift the ban? I said before that it's not an ideal way to address software piracy but it certainly IS a way and a fairly effective one at quickly identifying possible software pirates.

Note..."possible".

Clearly they think it's worth alienating the small number of people that will be negatively impacted by this policy because they legitimately acquired the game weeks before launch.

Here's hoping the next xbox has some pretty cool anti pirate feature. I was thinking something like the void sticker where if you break some seal your box is turned into a irreversible tampered with mode disabling your ability to log onto live.

You misunderstood me. I said ban EVERYONE. And then ask to show proofs that their console is not pirated. As you say, this is not anti-user, if you have the change to prove that you're innocent.

Or, well, instead of banning everyone, let's only ban the suspicious ones. For example, the ones that have more than 50 retail games on their backlog. And then ask them to show the receipts of those games. A lot of people that have more than 50 retail games in the backlog are pirates (or press) so, following your argument, it's ok to ban all the people with more than 50 games.

This is not anti-consumer at all, and it will eliminate the piracy on 360.

I understand the point you're trying to make but sir...you're uncorked.

I imagine there's a fairly small number of people playing Halo 4 online at the moment on XBL. He stuck out. He got noticed. He got banned.

Most likely he'll get unbanned.

Next time; maybe he'll wait for launch?

Or maybe next time he'll stay offline?

Or maybe next time he'll get a receipt to show them?

shandy706

Really? He is going to steal a copy of the game and then post pics online, and on neogaf. Geez people. I swear.

How would posting pictures of a game show you stole it? It wouldn't stop anyone...so what's your point?

Is there any reason to not believe him?

No, there's also no reason to believe him.

Ha.

That certainly wouldn't be the craziest shit that had occurred on GAF.

Exactly. This was my point. The people defending him are the same as people attacking him.

Both are baseless. A picture doesn't prove he's in th right as much as the opposite.

Mikor

You've got it flipped around. Mom-and-pops are going to buy from a distributor (likely a local distributor as they're not going to have a large enough account to interest a large national distributor). Big box stores like Best Bey are the ones getting shipments direct from Microsoft.

Now, consider Microsoft's history with regulators.

Can you imagine the utter shitstorm (especially in the EU) that would arise if MS said "Fuck it, no more street dates! Sell it when you get it?"

Suddenly big box stores are selling Halo 4 a week before the mom and pops even get that shit in. There would be cries of unfair competition, favoritism, monopolistic practices, illegal stock allocation, etc. And lots and lots of lawsuits.

Again, speaking from personal experience, you're incorrect on this - no legal department worth their salt would take on a suit like that, unless the distributor/product manufacturer and the retailer had a specific contract regarding the sale of the product before the "street date". Best Buy, Gamestop, etc all have their own distribution centers and supply logistics. I can't speak for the EU, but in the US there probably wouldn't be much of a shitstorm at all except by some retailers who feel slighted.

Again, the onus is on the product manufacturer to control logistics of their product up to the point of receipt by retailer. Street Dating is a novel concept, but has no basis in law and is mostly volunteer on the retailers' part to assist in upholding it. Will the retailer suffer in the future by not being delivered product/proper quantity of product from the same manufacturer? Certainly, but that's the business' decision to make. Product manufacturers could avoid all of this by simply allowing the competitive market to play out as it naturally should - retailers with better or more efficient supply chains SHOULD be rewarded with the ability to sell product before other retailers.

Here's hoping the next xbox has some pretty cool anti pirate feature. I was thinking something like the void sticker where if you break some seal your box is turned into a irreversible tampered with mode disabling your ability to log onto live.

I shudder to think what they will come up with.

At best, we can hope for something equidistant between "draconian" and "incompetent".

If the poster didn't know the store was not supposed to sell it? Yes, it is wrong he was punished. If he knew they were not supposed to sell it (he knew) then it is not wrong as he fully admits he knew there would be risks taking it online. The OP is not the doe eyed innocent and naive gamer you try to make him out to be.
Ok but how does Microsoft's current policy discern between someone like the OP who knew the risk, and a "doe eyed innocent and naive gamer" as you put it?

Syriel

So I don't own the things I buy from people off Craigslist because I don't get either of those things? I don't own the stuff I buy at the local street fair? Is this an actual legal principle you're citing here or are you just making it up?

Not to get too off-topic, but from the law's perspective you only own it if the original seller had clear title to sell it to you.

If the original seller didn't have clear title (item was stolen, item was on loan, item wasn't wholly owned, etc.) then the sale wasn't valid and you don't own it.

The clearest cut example is a cell phone.

Say you buy an iPhone off Craigslist. A week later it's shut off. Or a police officer shows up at your door with the real owner.

You're not likely to get arrested, but the item you paid for will be confiscated and returned to the original owner. You won't be repaid by the police or the owner. You would be told that your only legal recourse is to go after the seller for restitution.

Note: That only pertains to US law. Other countries may follow this or they may not.

Product manufacturers could avoid all of this by simply allowing the competitive market to play out as it naturally should - retailers with better or more efficient supply chains SHOULD be rewarded with the ability to sell product before other retailers.

If that were the case, when I worked big box retail we could have easily crushed the local independent stores simply because we could order closer to the source and as a result, would get all major releases well in advance of when they did.

If Best Buy of Gamestop wanted Halo 4 on every store shelf in North America tomorrow, it would be there. The big retailers only play nice with street dates because of contractual obligations. If they could eliminate street dates, every single box box chain would have a huge advantage over independent retail

Ok but how does Microsoft's current policy discern between someone like the OP who knew the risk, and a "doe eyed innocent and naive gamer" as you put it?

It discerns between the two AFTER the ban and AFTER they contact Microsoft and provide proof that they bought the game.

Generally...the doe-eyed innocents can prove they are doe-eyed innocents.

Mikor

It discern's between the two AFTER the ban and AFTER they contact Microsoft and provide proof that they bought the game.

But the question remains, is the onus on the "doe-eyed innocent" to have to even prove this? We're not talking about proving innocence in a crime of law here, we're talking about purchasing a video game before the date intended.

Can't believe people are defending this. It's MS' problem to figure out how to ban pirates. Banning legit buyers and users on some "they should have known better!" shit is stupid.

It discerns between the two AFTER the ban and AFTER they contact Microsoft and provide proof that they bought the game.

Ban first, ask questions later. Wonderful customer service policy. So if MS decides your gamerscore is too high, you must be a modder, they can ban your system too and make you prove to them you are just really good at games?

At that point it is the store's fault and the customer would take it up with the store for selling a product they were not allowed to sell and ended up screwing over the customer.

Any way you slice it, dice it, or spin it... 100% of the blame is on the store.

BibiMaghoo

This thread has been interesting, I've learned some things.

OP will not be asking his friend in the store for early MS games anymore. Although I don't think what he did was wrong. I have done it myself, difference is I always get told no.

Stinkles is fucking awesome. That is some good shit, fairplay.

MS policy on this ban is heavyhanded, and wrong, but ultimately understandable given its available on torrent sites. They put a lot of money into this game and want to give it the best run they can. It's acceptable for a one off.

Some of the people in this thread have crazy, crazy views on owning and buying things. In the UK a store has no legal obligation to provide a receipt at sale unless you request one. I buy things everyday and don't get a receipt. To suggest that a person does not own something because of this is pretty lame. To suggest that no transaction has occurred is even worse.

If someone exchanges money, for goods or services that are received, then a transaction has occurred, regardless of a piece of paper.

But the question remains, is the onus on the "doe-eyed innocent" to have to even prove this? We're not talking about proving innocence in a crime of law here, we're talking about purchasing a video game before the date intended.

I have zero line of sight to numbers or percentages.

I think it's safe to say, people currently playing Halo 4 online are the following.

- friends and family of 343
- friends and family of Microsoft
- press

** These three groups are probably covered by a list of usernames/gamertags and left in the "DON'T BAN THESE PEOPLE" binder that sits on the desk of the person that...bans people. **

The other people...

- pirates
- people with street-date-broken copies (doe-eyed innocents)

These people are clearly NOT on the list. I'd speculate...and only speculate but I'd speculate that the majority out of those two groups are pirates so...Microsoft takes a scorch-the-earth solution.

I don't think anyone is saying the innocents have committed a crime. I don't think Microsoft is saying that either (although I could be wrong).

They're denying people service...which also isn't a crime. It might not be sound business, but the outrage some people are displaying, you'd think Microsoft violated the OP's rights.

Mikor

If someone exchanges money, for goods or services that are received, then a transaction has occurred, regardless of a piece of paper.

In the US, in a court of law, a transaction is not recognized as legal without a bill of sale/receipt given. Even if its a simple piece of paper with the words "I sold such and such to X person on Y date for Z moneys", without some documented proof of the transaction, legally it's not recognized. In case it wasn't already apparent, though, this is a thread ultimately about semantics and personal opinions - the issue was resolved on Page 1.

I have zero line of sight to numbers or percentages.

I think it's safe to say, people currently playing Halo 4 online are the following.

- friends and family of 343
- friends and family of Microsoft
- press

** These three groups are probably covered by a list of usernames/gamertags and left in the "DON'T BAN THESE PEOPLE" binder that sits on the desk of the person that...bans people. **

The other people...

- pirates
- people with street-date-broken copies (doe-eyed innocents)

These people are clearly NOT on the list. I'd speculate...and only speculate but I'd speculate that the majority out of those two groups are pirates so...Microsoft takes a scorch-the-earth solution.

I don't think anyone is saying the innocents have committed a crime. I don't think Microsoft is saying that either (although I could be wrong).

They're denying people service...which also isn't a crime. It might not be sound business, but the outrage some people are displaying, you'd think Microsoft violated the OP's rights.

They are denying him a service that he is PAYING FOR, without any real evidence that he did anything wrong. Again, the onus to differentiate between early buyers and pirates should be on Microsoft. If they can't figure out a proper system to do this, banning everyone is not a correct and just course of action. It's bullshit.

Ban first, ask questions later. Wonderful customer service policy.

In the context of this ONE specific situation...they're not exactly coming out of left field with this.

So if MS decides your gamerscore is too high, you must be a modder, they can ban your system too and make you prove to them you are just really good at games?

They don't do that. Otherwise StripClubDJ would be a sad strip club DJ.

They are denying him a service that he is PAYING FOR, without any real evidence that he did anything wrong. Again, the onus to differentiate between early buyers and pirates should be on Microsoft. If they can't figure out a proper system to do this, banning everyone is not a correct and just course of action. It's bullshit.

Just because you PAY for a service...it doesn't entitle you to get that service. A smart company will ensure that you get that service and create an environment where you feel as though you have a good experience relative to what you are paying...but it does not guarantee that you will get that service when ever you want it.

Microsoft might very well be differentiating.

They're not banning "everyone". They are banning theoretically everyone not on their "safe list" and then asking you to provide proof of purchase.

Oh...or you can just fucking wait for it to launch.

Apath

Banning people with a legitimate copy of the game is inexcusable. I'm not sure why there is even a debate about this.

Good thing Frankie was here and that he's a good guy, or else who knows if/when this would have been resolved?

jcm

In the US, in a court of law, a transaction is not recognized as legal without a bill of sale/receipt given. Even if its a simple piece of paper with the words "I sold such and such to X person on Y date for Z moneys", without some documented proof of the transaction, legally it's not recognized.

wikipedian_protester.png

Riggs

Banned
100% wrong on Microsoft's part. He purchased it legally, it's the stores fault not his. Did OP get unbanned btw? I didn't read through the 21 pages of this thread lol.

Also awesome that we have members of the Live team here!

Both Vilam and myself have attempted to provide insight from the inside of development. (Him much better than myself) There are many aspects of game developer that most people know little about or really isn't visible by the public. There are countless reasons for a game to perform below expectations and everything is taken into consideration. You think that if a game was leaked to the internet early and performs below expectations that leak wouldn't be listed as one of the possibilities for the low sales? I don't think either of us are attempting to make it a single cause, but leaks do have ramifications on the bottom line.

I understand perfectly what you're trying to say, the problem is the logic is murky and there are plenty of jumping to conclusions being made here. I know about the "ripple effect" many of these scenarios have on businesses, but I'm saying your particular application in this instance makes no sense because it doesn't apply to it in such a clear cut way to warrant a black-and-white "Yes this is what should be done".

You came in with the stance that this is good because it's an application of a principle, the principle being that leaked copies COULD lead to low sales and thus they COULD lead to dev jobs being terminated. Except you haven't at all made these links. At best they're distant, very indirect effects with murky likelihood of them happening, and you've already said as much. And yet you're adopting a strict stance on this case, as if you had already established a clear link between streetbroken copies and job loss. Such a stance is only viable if there is a clear link, and you admit there isn't one, hence why I'm calling you out on it. Simple.

Cat Party

In the US, in a court of law, a transaction is not recognized as legal without a bill of sale/receipt given. Even if its a simple piece of paper with the words "I sold such and such to X person on Y date for Z moneys", without some documented proof of the transaction, legally it's not recognized. In case it wasn't already apparent, though, this is a thread ultimately about semantics and personal opinions - the issue was resolved on Page 1.

lmao, 100% false. Writings are needed in only a few specific cases, and even then there are exceptions.

BibiMaghoo

Oh I know its been resolved, but did not know it was law in the states to have a receipt. It certainly is not here , and many other places. I don't know what country the OP is in.

The store wasn't allowed to sell it in the first place.

That's irrelevant to the fact that a transaction did occur, and that not having a receipt does not change that. Even selling something that's been stolen is a transaction. The store have made a mistake here, but it seems clear they are his friends. It's no great crime now is it? And let's face it, they won't be doing it again.

jcm

Apologies for being slow, but are you asking me to provide proof of what you quoted, or are you making some sort of critique on the legal system, or...what?

I'm asking you to provide proof of your statement, which is contrary to my (layman's) knowledge of US law.

Top Bottom