• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was just reading that. Turns out Jean-Baptiste wasn't supposed to get killed, or at least this early, but the actor wasn't enjoying the role. That sucks. :/

Okay, so that explains why I felt like that whole scene was strange. The buildup to the shooting felt very Justified, but the shocker death seemed really off. And then the character really hasn't done anything yet, so it made his role pointless.

I mean usually they would use a scene like that to show how unpredictable Danny Crowe is, but that man has "Shot & Killed by Raylan" written all over him.

phaze

Really interested to see where they're going with Raylan's confession. I didn't take Art for the kind of person that would let something like that slide but I struggle where else could they go without locking Givens up.

Totally flinched at Haitian's demise. Didn't see that coming. Great episode

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Is that the last we’ll see of Mara (played by Karolina Wydra)?

I will be honest that we explored an idea of her popping up into the story later in the season, and it just didn’t work out. She’s on True Blood. They give a certain allowance to go and do another show for a certain period — x number of episodes — and we maxed out. We hit our five episodes. It was gonna be a tough get, and then we just decided the story should go in another way. But we loved her.

Makes sense. I'm just glad that
they're not giving her an expanded role as a possible new love interest for Boyd. *whew*

We’re kind of wrapping up the Theo Tonin story. We’re not thinking of going more to that and Detroit for the rest of the series.

Shiiieeettt!!
We're in the end game now! :O

I was just reading that. Turns out Jean-Baptiste wasn't supposed to get killed, or at least this early, but the actor wasn't enjoying the role. That sucks. :/

I was shocked by his death, but also sort of disappointed because it seemed to me like they were setting him up for greater things. Now after reading that interview it all makes sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let’s talk about Elias Marcos, Theo Tonin’s consigliere and trigger man, played by Alan Tudyk.

You’ll notice he’s credited as Wray Nerely. It’s something that he’s doing, sort of like a documentary or something, about the life of an actor in a character or something. I didn’t spend time with him, so I don’t exactly know what the thing is. When Alan’s name came up — I’ve just always been a big fan. He tested for the part of Michael Raines that Jeff Goldblum got [in Yost's 2007 NBC drama Raines].

What in the world... even Alan Tudyk is doing the meta-documentary thing?

Tokubetsu

Can't really blame him for not enjoying the role. He's had nothing to do but take up scenery and be "slightly menacing black/foreign henchman." Which is sad because Justified is usually good about using its supporting cast well.

Linius

Aw man, I was having a hard time imaging Wash as some bad ass assassin for the mob. I mean Wash is like such a nice guy :(

Anyways, this episode was really all over the place. So many great scenes involving guns and awesome dialogue. Boyds opening scene dragged you right in and the tension just keeps being present troughout the whole episode. Great entertainment.

here's a Wray Nerely twitter account (literally the only google hit besides that interview and who's following Nathan Fillon and Alan lol) featuring a couple gems like:

what are you doing, Alan buddy

and only 10 followers...if you ever wanted to say something to Alan Tudyk...this is probably your best avenue haha

Plissken

Wow, that might be the most brutal episode of Justified so far. Not just in terms of deaths, but in consequences for our protagonists. Both Raylan and Boyd seem to be in not great places by the end, really curious how this is going to affect Art and Raylan's "wink wink, nudge nudge" relationship regarding his less than lawful acts.

And damn, that speech by Boyd to Paxton to start the episode was amazing. Chills were had.

I want to watch the episode again.

Especially the beginning with that Boyd Crowder speech. It felt like something Cormac McCarthy would write in one of his books.

aku:jiki

This episode was fantastic and had so many badass scenes, two of them naturally belonging to Boyd as they should, but I can't get over how poorly they wasted Tudyk and Jean-Baptiste. The character they introduced Tudyk as in the first half of the episode would not have acted like that much of a fucking idiot at the end and JB died just when he finally had a great scene and I was excited to see more of that.

kirblar

This episode was fantastic and had so many badass scenes, two of them naturally belonging to Boyd as they should, but I can't get over how poorly they wasted Tudyk and Jean-Baptiste. The character they introduced Tudyk as in the first half of the episode would not have acted like that much of a fucking idiot at the end and JB died just when he finally had a great scene and I was excited to see more of that.
JB's actor wasn't happy and wanted out. Sounds like the scene was written originally with a random guy in mind.

Found Boyd's Speech online:

"A small town never forgets. Now, word's gon’ burn through these hills and hollers like a wildfire. People of Harlan County, rich and poor, will marvel at your debasement and venality. They will spit venom when they speak your name. And they will take your suicide as the last act of a coward. Now your reputation is ruined, your good word worthless, but death will not be the end of your suffering. For generations your children, and your children's children will have a mark against their name, and that will be your legacy."

What a fantastic episode; the opening scene and the diner scene really stand out. When Tudyk entered the diner after the confrontation outside, I felt like I was listening to a Tarantino script.

Solo

Finally, a great episode this season! So much shit to digest in this one. For starters, I think this is the episode where I've finally ceased to have any sympathy or compassion for Boyd. He's killed people before, for sure, but it just felt like he stepped passed a line there's no going back from in this one. He's certainly headed toward his endgame, which at this point feels like a shallow grave. Was really nice to see Raylan fess up for once too, and I really want to see how that plays out.

Ava lol

inm8num2

Raylan may not have fessed up, though. He just said, "It wasn't Barclay, and I can tell you that for a fact."

I don't know what else he might have said, but ending the episode there seemed pretty deliberate for making us wonder.

Solo

Raylan may not have fessed up, though. He just said, "It wasn't Barclay, and I can tell you that for a fact."

I don't know what else he might have said, but ending the episode there seemed pretty deliberate for making us wonder.

I dunno, it seems pretty clear Art already knows or at least suspects it was Raylan. That's been heavily implied for a while. Art always knows when Raylan's done something beyond the law.

inm8num2

I dunno, it seems pretty clear Art already knows or at least suspects it was Raylan. That's been heavily implied for a while. Art always knows when Raylan's done something beyond the law.

Right, I agree with that. I'm just intrigued by the way the episode ended. I could be over-thinking it.

Boyd was just masterful; Danny Crowe is a major douchebag; Johnny is no pushover. That scene with Markos and the AA12 was crazy. I knew it was too good to be true for Ava.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That prison guard obviously doesn't know who he's fucking with.

Man that episode was crazy. Justified's ability to step back from the edge of a shootout, or pull the rug out from under a scene with such swagger is second to none. It's just so fun to watch these characters be.

Too bad about Edi Gathegi basically pulling out of the show forcing Jean Baptiste's end to come much too quickly. I think that character could've had a more dramatic send off, but I'm sure they'll make it work.

What a fantastic episode. I was genuinely bummed that Tudyk didn't last longer, but it's to be expected when you get into a gunfight with Raylan. Top notch all around, can't wait to see what Art does with Raylan's "confession". I'd imagine not much, since it might tarnish his big win with Tonin, but I think he's at least satisfied that Raylan was honest with him.

Ruze789

here's a Wray Nerely twitter account (literally the only google hit besides that interview and who's following Nathan Fillon and Alan lol) featuring a couple gems like:

Here's one from today, awesome:
pic.twitter.com/eSNGCimCpo
h73Nm4f.jpg

Finally, a great episode this season! So much shit to digest in this one. For starters, I think this is the episode where I've finally ceased to have any sympathy or compassion for Boyd. He's killed people before, for sure, but it just felt like he stepped passed a line there's no going back from in this one. He's certainly headed toward his endgame, which at this point feels like a shallow grave. Was really nice to see Raylan fess up for once too, and I really want to see how that plays out.

Ava lol

I agree at the point of no return, I honestly thought last season was that point for him. I think episode is where Raylan hit that point where he can't turn back.

I still really like Boyd though possibly my favorite character on Television of all time.

Sane_Man

I don't think Art will survive this season. :(

I can see Boyd somehow killing him, leading to the final showdown between him and Raylan next season. Awesome episode.

I kinda hope Raylan loses his badge this season. I wanna see how he reacts without the veneer of authority to justify his actions. Looks like with the confession, that's a-coming.

I don't think Art will survive this season. :(

I can see Boyd somehow killing him, leading to the final showdown between him and Raylan next season. Awesome episode.

I will quit this show and never forgive them if they kill Art.

I won't quit, I'll just be super bummed for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom