• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 5 - Timothy Olyphant & Walton Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It lost me off the bat with that awful first episode, but it's actually been really good for the most part. Ava's storyline is dragging it down.

If they hired back the guy that used to play Tim Gutterson and replaced all the prison scenes with scenes involving marshals, it would probably have been 10 times better.

Eh?

It lost me off the bat with that awful first episode, but it's actually been really good for the most part. Ava's storyline is dragging it down.

If they hired back the guy that used to play Tim Gutterson and replaced all the prison scenes with scenes involving marshals, it would probably have been 10 times better.

I thought you were not psycho?

Tim was never fired...

- FX Justified Production Blog: Q&A with “Wrong Roads” Co-Writer Leonard Chang
It’s really neat that you and Dave created a reflection of Raylan in the character of DEA Agent Alex Miller. Even though Raylan isn’t prone to deep introspection, do you think this partnership will affect his actions going forward?

That was our hope and intent. Although it’s true that we’ve created a character of action in Raylan, rather than one of contemplation and introspection, just because you don’t want to think about something, or actively choose not to, doesn’t mean you don’t. This is what makes Tim Olyphant such a good, subtle actor. He’s the master of acting understatement, so I would argue that there are places in this episode where if you watch him closely, all it takes is flick of his eyes, a fraction of a second as he frowns, and we begin to suspect those wheels turning. Raylan is being slowly forced to confront aspects of himself he has previously been able to avoid simply by being the cool, gun toting Raylan, using violence and quips to deflect any real self-analysis. Last season’s death of his father cracked that facade — remember that scene at the elevator? — and now with his surrogate father questioning him — in fact, ALL of his immediate and important relationships beginning to question him — Raylan is being cornered into asking himself why he’s the way he is, why he does the things he does. Is violence his only way of handling difficulties? Where does that come from and why can’t he face that? How is that tied into his being a father, and his avoidance of that role? Alex Miller is one of many pieces of that argument.

Roscoe’s riff on King Lear is a wonderful and memorable moment. How did it come about?

On Justified it’s often a close collaboration. In this case Andron wanted from the start to have Roscoe be quiet throughout the entire run of the season until the very end. And then when Roscoe spoke it would reveal his truer self. As to what he would say, Andron had a few conversations with Steve Harris, and guess what? Steve is a huge King Lear fan. That’s when everything began coming together for that scene.

Big showdown scenes with lots of characters have been hard to land on in the past. Was this one any different in terms of difficulty?

This was one of the largest showdown/climax scenes we’ve had on the show, with almost all the main characters in a room together. This was difficult primarily because of the staging — Audry’s is a relatively small space, and Michael Dinner was working extremely hard to make sure the scenes made geographic sense. When you watch the scene, the shots and direction look effortless — that’s Dinner being a genius. But remember how many characters are talking, and how the camera moves to them and around the space. All in a tiny room. Painstaking planning and execution.
More via the link.

Couple of good bits this episode, but man, this season blows. What happened?

I don't even care about seeing it live any more. It just sits on my dvr until I get around to it. I was counting the seconds until a new episode last season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Can't say I was super in love with that episode. I thought it was only okay.

I hate this contrived prison BS. The nurse double cross is so amateurish.

I don't like that they're stretching this heroin plot out across the entire season. I think it should have lasted 3-4 episodes tops. It's dragging Boyd, Ava and Wynn's storylines down.

And yeah, that was a really dumb twist. :/

I hate this contrived prison BS. The nurse double cross is so amateurish. The writers are making Ava seem not as bright she appears to be.

I was really hoping Ava would step up already, and talk down the junkie, and start showing that side of her that let her stand up to Bowman, Bo Crowder, Devil, and why she's Boyd's equal as oppose to dependent on him.

I don't mind the story, but it does need to be fast-forwarded where ever the hell it's going.

bndadm

Can't say I was super in love with that episode. I thought it was only okay.

I don't like that they're stretching this heroin plot out across the entire season. I think it should have lasted 3-4 episodes tops. It's dragging Boyd, Ava and Wynn's storyline down.

And yeah, that was a really dumb twist. :/

Agreed. The only time we should be seeing Ava is when Boyd sees her. Let the audience, and Boyd, concoct their own imagined hell she's going through. Hell Jere Burns is a main cast member and has been in less episodes than Ava this season. It would have worked.

Instead we have...this thing now. And how does Boyd get around so much so fast? he's like everywhere at once.

Don't really care much for this season. The whole prison storyline bores me to tears. It feels like it's a completely different show that's nowhere nearly as good as Justified. I had high hopes for the Crowes, but I find them really grating--especially Danny. I don't even think Raylan putting a bullet through him will satisfy me at this point. I've also pretty much had it with Art. He's really coming off as an asshole. I do enjoy Raylan for the five or so minutes he appears every episode. Those are fun! I would like to see more of his character. Maybe he could even get his own show someday.

I do enjoy Raylan for the five or so minutes he appears every episode. Those are fun! I would like to see more of his character. Maybe he could even get his own show someday.

This is exactly the problem. The marshals (including Raylan) are being given next to nothing this season. Cutting out the prison scenes and replacing them with a story about the marshals would kill two birds with one stone. Eliminate the weakest story and add a very much needed story.

There is really nothing new at all for the marshals, they've been aimless the whole season. Nothing but fallback from last season, which doesn't quite work because Raylan didn't have any other way out, and the situation wasn't his fault. It's not even the least justified thing we've seen him do. I think the fallback story would work better if Raylan was more in the wrong.

Seth C

I love the show but it's done a LOT wrong this season. Everything involving Ava and the prison is a bore. Far too little of all of the Marshals. All of them. The criminal storyline is...I'm not even sure? I feel like they have been meandering about Mexico for years at this point. The show has completely lost its direction.

Plissken

I liked this episode overall, but have to agree with most everyone that the prison just drags everything down, the Crowes are pretty lame villains, and it'd be nice to see more than 30 seconds of Gutterson this season. I know TV shows have filler episodes sometimes, but this is feeling like a filler season, tiding us over until they can bring the end game in S6. Still, a bad episode of Justified is better than the best of most other shows.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with the sentiment that something has just felt off this season. The Crowes aren't as dangerous and imposing as I imagined they'd be considering we knew they would be the primary threat going into this season. They just come off as minor annoyances, to Boyd more than anyone.

We're at Episode 9 now? I feel like we should have been at this point in the story like episode 5 or 6.

I was on board with things early in the season, but when they extended Ava's prison storyline, that's when things started to go off the rails for me. I've gotten the impression something is going on behind the scenes, because they are definitely spinning their wheels this season.

Could the early release of Jean Baptiste have really screwed up the season this much?

It might have messed up the Crowes storyline a bit, but doesn't explain the pointless prison storyline or sidelining Raylan and the rest of the marshals. I chalk that up to poor planning and the belief that viewers actually gave a shit about Ava and her prison exploits.

didnt hear about that. has it been talked about as to why?
Yost on Shot to All Hell
Let’s talk about Danny’s scene with Kendal and Jean-Baptiste (Edi Gathegi). I did not see Jean-Baptiste’s death coming.

Nor did we. (Laughs) So the Danny-Kendal scene, we wanted to establish this thing that Danny’s got, the idea of the 21 foot rule. You can look it up online. The idea is supposedly that within 21 feet, a guy with a knife can beat a guy with a gun, if the gun is holstered. If the knifer takes the initiative and starts running as he’s pulling the knife, while the other guy’s trying to pull his gun, the knifer can win. That came up early in the writers room this past summer and was one of the things that we decided to give to Danny from the beginning of the season. Then we wanted to see him torment Kendal with it.

And the idea for Danny to shoot Jean-Baptiste?

Listen, we make our best efforts early on in the season as we hire actors to come on the show, and we can’t always guarantee them what they’re gonna be doing or where it’s gonna go. Getting Edi Gathegi was a big get for us, but the character just wasn’t panning out for him. He didn’t see where it was going, and even though we were thinking that Jean-Baptiste would survive until toward the end of the season, Edi wasn’t enjoying the journey. We had no contract to hold him to, so we said, “Well, let’s kill off Jean-Baptiste in episode 5.” We weren’t sure how we were gonna do it, and then we watched the scene between Jean-Baptiste and Danny, and it became clear that there was such animosity there, that man it could work. So the scene got adjusted to play it this way. What we then found from that, which you’ll see in subsequent episodes, is that it gave us a lot: It established Danny’s close to psycho pathology and his really bad judgment. And it also was something that happened in front of Kendal. Kendal’s known that he’s living in a crime family, but I don’t know what truly bad stuff he’s seen. You’ll see in subsequent episodes the effect that this has on him and really how that propels us to toward the end of the season.

Was Art implying that his retirement is a week and a half away? I must not have been paying attention, didn't realize it was happening so soon.

The Jean Baptiste death scene was the most jaw-dropping moment of the season. Not to mention the compelling aftermath it created (and continues to explore), losing that admittedly intriguing character was worth it.

- Buzzfocus: ‘Justified’ Interview with Nick Searcy: Mullen Over Art
If you’ve been watching the fifth season of Justified then you know one of the subplots is observing the relationship between Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) and his work-dad and boss, Deputy Art Mullen (Nick Searcy) disintegrate after Raylan confesses his role in the murder of one of Theo Tonin’s henchman. Art’s response to Raylan’s disclosure was connecting a right hook to his marshal’s face. Since then, things have been icy and Raylan has gone as far to request a transfer out of Kentucky. It may not be as fun as hunting Drew Thompson, but Art has had a volatile season so far including being a part of one of the most intense scenes in the show’s run. We caught up with actor and “Acting School Teacher” Nick Searcy to talk about the latest season of Justified.

I agree that the prison storyline is a huge letdown but there's been so much more this season. I might be alone in this but I am loving the Crowes both as a group and individually. Daryl in particular is such a delightful asshole. There is something about Rapaport playing a witty redneck that strikes my fancy. I'm starting to straight up root for the guy... not that things are likely to end up well for him.

New episode tonight:
Weight

Raylan and Boyd collide on the hunt for Dewey Crowe; bad blood simmering in the Crowe family finally boils over.
We get an extra fifteen minutes tonight for this episode.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can't believe we've only got 4 episodes left this season (counting tonight). They really need to deliver so we can have some positive momentum going into the last season.

lol, important indeed.

This is crucial to understanding the plot, context, and motivations present in Justified.

It's called Fore
head
shadowing
z9zKrge.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom