• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justified - Season 6 - The Final Showdown - Olyphant & Goggins - Tuesdays on FX

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Man, Wilkins really nailed Raylan here:
And this is where we start to unravel the genius of Raylan Givens: It’s not that he’s corrupt as much as he exists in the negative space of forthright and upstanding. He’s the Schrödinger’s cat of law enforcement malfeasance, existing in both the good and bad states just as long as he isn’t observed. That’s why Art knows better than to look closely at what he’s doing, and why Rachel ultimately agrees. But it’s worth noting that both Rachel and Art assume they’re covering up for Raylan quite a bit more than they actually are.

Tonight I really noticed the train horns in the background when Choo Choo was onscreen, specifically when he picks up the hooker. Good choice to have him bleed out instead of getting hit by a train. Too easy an out and too common an accident in real life tbh.

Boyd runs with bad people and shouldn't be surprised that they want him dead one way or another. And his crew is down to 2 loyal soldiers now.

The camera loves Joelle Carter this season. ;)

Polari

Hopefully things start to ramp up now. Looking a pretty weak season so far, despite some interesting characters.

Zaph

Excellent episode. Shame we lost Choo Choo, his scenes were hilarious, but the writers made the right call - you don't want a character like that outstaying their welcome. Also, when Markham was telling Walker he had to take out Choo, I was getting serious Of Mice and Men vibes.

Can someone remind me of the current Boyd/Limehouse dynamic? I forgot where they last left off, does he owe Boyd a debt?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Excellent episode. Shame we lost Choo Choo, his scenes were hilarious, but the writers made the right call - you don't want a character like that outstaying their welcome. Also, when Markham was telling Walker he had to take out Choo, I was getting serious Of Mice and Men vibes.

Can someone remind me of the current Boyd/Limehouse dynamic? I forgot where they last left off, does he owe Boyd a debt?

Well it wasn't on the best terms. End of season 4 he tells Boyd and Ava that they can have Ellen May and Drew Thompson for $150k each. Then when they get the money together he changes the deal so that it's $300k for one of them, so they chose Drew. Then he tells them that if they get another $300k they can have Ellen May too. He ends up feeling bad for her though and lets her go. Ava ends up getting the money but he tells her that Ellen May is gone. Not exactly friends at that point :p

IronRinn

This is from the comments section of that excellent AV Club review:

GastonM said:
nknotz said:
"Wonderful things happen when you sow seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes"
Raylan said he read it somewhere. Googled it. It was in a book called Glitz by some guy named Elmore Leonard. Might have to try one of his books sometime, could be good.

I don't want this show to end.

Edit: Kurt Sutter is so fucking clueless.

Zaph

Well it wasn't on the best terms. End of season 4 he tells Boyd and Ava that they can have Ellen May and Drew Thompson for $150k each. Then when they get the money together he changes the deal so that it's $300k for one of them, so they chose Drew. Then he tells them that if they get another $300k they can have Ellen May too. He ends up feeling bad for her though and lets her go. Ava ends up getting the money but he tells her that Ellen May is gone. Not exactly friends at that point :p

Gotcha, so it sounds like Limehouse is trying to get his reputation back within the criminal underworld? Given he was known for offering reliable services and neutrality, I imagine stealing the Bennett money and reneging on deals like Ellen/Drew cost him a lot of business. And the law enforcement attention probably didn't help either.

Niraj

This is from the comments section of that excellent AV Club review:

I don't want this show to end.

Edit: Kurt Sutter is so fucking clueless.

That's incredible. I love it.

Gotcha, so it sounds like Limehouse is trying to get his reputation back within the criminal underworld? Given he was known for offering reliable services and neutrality, I imagine stealing the Bennett money and reneging on deals like Ellen/Drew cost him a lot of business. And the law enforcement attention probably didn't help either.

It's hard to know with him, but last time he was seen he basically reiterated that he just wanted to be left alone with his people. Could just be that he's angry that Ava and Boyd keep bringing attention to him. Could be what you mentioned too. Or both, maybe he intends to swoop in after Boyd makes some moves. Definitely can't take what he says at face value though.

Ava was basically going to fuck him over. Earl didnt catch a tasing from constable bob and stay hushed up about it, I bet. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out from there what happened.

Niraj

Limehouse's angle is simple: "Fuck you, Ava".

Ava was basically going to fuck him over. Earl didnt catch a tasing from constable bob and stay hushed up about it, I bet. Wouldn't be too hard to figure out from there what happened.

Well, sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's just taking this opportunity to fuck over Ava as a means to ingratiate himself into a more favorable position. That's his thing.

styl3s

They all do at this point.

7 episodes left :(
So you are telling me there is still time for Ian McShane to make a cameo?
pt1pl.jpg

J.EM1

Just caught up with last night's episode. Parks and Rec's series finale was on at the same time.

Oh Choo-Choo. :'(

There was some nice character work for a lot of other players this week beyond Raylan and Boyd: the Katherine/Markham situation is getting messy, RIP Choo Choo, Ava's conversation with her uncle, and I liked the Rachel and Art mental math on Raylan.

My one complaint is the way that the shootout was put together. They've been on point over the years with filming things in such a way that it's obvious who's standing where and what the situation is, but I thought this week was a little messy by Justified's standards. Small criticism and not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

We're over halfway to the end.

- Matt Zoller Seitz on last night's episode:
"You ever wish that things would not be the way they are?" Choo-Choo asked his captive during the drive up to the woods. "You know, like, if you close your eyes, open them, things'll be different?" The really sad part is, Choo-Choo died just as he was making a sincere attempt to change his life and be a better person. He died, like so many fictional criminals, on the cusp of evolution. And again, you might wonder: How many Justified characters will go out this way?

And will Raylan be among them? He's been given so many chances to get the hell out of Dodge, as it were, and start a new life as a quasi-retired, quasi-respectable husband and father, but he's still futzing around in Harlan, always looking for one more snake to kill. Every week there's another reference (usually by Boyd, who's also been given multiple chances to leave) to the fact that Raylan really should have left for Florida by now. What's keeping him around? A death wish, maybe.

There was some nice character work for a lot of other players this week beyond Raylan and Boyd: the Katherine/Markham situation is getting messy, RIP Choo Choo, Ava's conversation with her uncle, and I liked the Rachel and Art mental math on Raylan.

My one complaint is the way that the shootout was put together. They've been on point over the years with filming things in such a way that it's obvious who's standing where and what the situation is, but I thought this week was a little messy by Justified's standards. Small criticism and not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

We're over halfway to the end.

Who the hell was Choo Choo shooting at? It seemed of.

Linius

Oh well, I guess we all knew Choo Choo wasn't going to last. I bet the actor was happy to be killed off by a combo of Raylan and Gutterson.

Still really feeling this season so far. That short stake-out scene had some great quote material
h8xug2P.png

Walker kinda reminded me of Ed Harris' character in The Rock...
- War vet coming back home.
- Has a sense of honor and duty to his fellow soldier brothers.
- Not necessarily a villain, but feels he needs to play the role to survive.
- Twisted morals (no biggie killing old people in their sleep, but feels bad about Choo Choo).
- Has an underling who embraces the criminal way and doesn't want to just bluff at it.

...Now I wonder if Walker will share a similar fate as Ed Harris in that movie.

what's up with those marks all over Ava's neck? And what are the chances Raylan and Walker end up working with each other in some small way

From the next week promo:
Looks like Walker's not taking the Choo Choo situation well at all. There's a brief scene of him looking disheveled (possibly very intoxicated), getting out of his car possibly off-road, fighting off guys from the ambulance who probably went to go help him.

Maybe Walker strays from his boss' path...can't really imagine him buddying up with Raylan at this point, but maybe he becomes a faction of his own. Another guy like Boyd trying to take a piece from Markham.

- NY Mag: Duke Davis Roberts on His Justified Arc and His Former Life As an MMA Fighter
Have you given up MMA fighting now that you're an actor? You don't want to mess up your face, do you?

I fought amateur for two years, and I won a light-heavyweight belt. Once I booked a role, I realized how important it is to maintain your look. So I had to retire from MMA because it would be so dumb to screw my big dream just to see how far I could go as a fighter. A friend of mine, Jonathan Lipnicki, trained in MMA, and he told me he got a black eye and casting directors looked down on him.

Jonathan Lipnicki, the kid from Jerry Maguire?

Yeah, I went to high school with him. That's what you get when you go to industry high-schools in L.A.

Has your size ever held you back from getting certain types of roles?

Definitely. I do worry about turning into a henchman forever. If people like me and want me to stick around, I'm going to have to shape-shift my body. I'll never get rid of being six five, but I fought at 205 [pounds], so I can get down to 200 pounds and kind of look like a normal person. I can pull a Chris Pratt.

This season has been really great so far. Seems like they've already covered a lot of territory and we still have half a season left. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds.

Stainless

what was the comment raylan made about seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes? that was pretty funny. Thought it was a good episode. Lots of tension I honestly have no idea how this is gonna shake out

what was the comment raylan made about seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes? that was pretty funny. Thought it was a good episode. Lots of tension I honestly have no idea how this is gonna shake out
" Wonderful things can happen when you sow seeds of distrust in a garden of assholes."

Good episode.
One thing i didn't get. Boyd fell in the trap that was set up by Zachariah, but he wasn't very deep. Then Boyd's guy threw a rock down that hole and saw that boards were cut away. And then Zachariah pushed him. Why Boyd's guy died and Boyd himself wasn't very deep in the hole?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Good episode.
One thing i didn't get. Boyd fell in the trap that was set up by Zachariah, but he wasn't very deep. Then Boyd's guy threw a rock down that hole and saw that boards were cut away. And then Zachariah pushed him. Why Boyd's guy died and Boyd himself wasn't very deep in the hole?

Boyd got caught on the debris that fell in with him, that's why Zachariah told him not to move much.

Top Bottom