• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I mean frank ain't got the voice but his writing I think is far and away better then Justin's still the production and timberlake's voice carry this album.

Servbot24

Banned
Doesn't help that she releases albums like EA releases versions of madden

She put out an album in 2010 and an album in 2012. Pretty typical.

Anarchdroid was great but there is plenty of room for improvement. It was good because it was flashy, but only a few songs were actually great on their own.

I mean frank ain't got the voice but his writing I think is far and away better then Justin's still the production and timberlake's voice carry this album.

Maybe this is why I can't understand Frank's hype. Personally don't care about lyrics.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
She put out an album in 2010 and an album in 2012. Pretty typical.

Anarchdroid was great but there is plenty of room for improvement. It was good because it was flashy, but only a few songs were actually great on their own.

Maybe this is why I can't understand Frank's hype. Personally don't care about lyrics.
Yeah I think frank understand his voice is slightly above average so he HAS to be different. If not then what does he have going for him. Granted his voice is probably better than what any of us can muster its just not an A-lister voice. This is probably the main reason he talks a lot in his songs instead of singing. There's also heavy amounts of autotune used as well. With that being said Justin would never write songs like bad religion, lost, pink matter, or pyramids. Too much depth for him although there are exceptions. I still say timberlake is the better artist but frank is young (I think he's like my age so, 22-23) and has a lot of time to mature his sound.

Edit: on a side note frank ghost writes for a lot of artists that just sing better than him. Another point to consider.

DominoKid

Gawker be hating.

my favorite bit

There's barely a sense of joy on this album – if you didn't know already that Timberlake married Jessica Biel last year, the album certainly wouldn't clue you in. That's fine, not every performer needs to be confessional, but it makes 20/20's very conscious move to maturity seem more suspect. Timberlake's acting and general persona have overtaken his public profile (see how little time recent interviews supporting this album spend on the actual music). Here he is merely playing a smooth, soulful singer. Grown and sexy is but another role, and it's barely deeper than his one in a shitty romcom like Friends With Benefits.

sounds like the writer's got beef w/ Timberlake as a person.

ah well, everyone's entitled to their .02
because that's about how much that review is worth.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Some of it was amazing, some of it was ehhhh, not as good as FS/LS. Some of them were amazing(Pusher Love Girl), but every song didn't need Timbaland doing 3 minute intro/outros.

And I hate PopGAF, but cmon guys, Ke$ha can be pretty cool...
Ke$ha - Past Lives

Ugh, don't tell me we're in for another era of people who don't like pop music heralding Justin Timberlake as the "Savior of Pop". Got enough of that mess during FS/LS.

Still bopping to Strawberry Bubblegum, tho.

DominoKid

I like this album because it's joyful o_O

Well not joyful really, but confident, optimistic, classy

most pop is simply "woe is me" or "here i am at the club" or "check out her boobs"

im picturing the reviewer listening to the album like
id9vxGUqSwukE.png
because i can't imagine how you could get a lack of joy from the album.

royalan

My point is that pop songs rarely move past Love Songs, Party Songs and I'm Sad Songs.

And they really don't.

...you do realize that the vast majority of tracks on 20/20 are shallow Love Songs, right? So hopefully you're not excluding JT from your scathing criticism here.

Trigger

God, why is Don't Hold the Wall so good?

There's a real way to do it?

I dunno the Suit & Tie video seems to do it quite well.

I can't remember who it was, but it was mentioned earlier how JT's public persona seems divided between the sillier, frat boy persona we see in movies and his SNL appearances and this seemingly classy retro look he's channeling in 20/20. I can see how people could feel like 20/20 was just him being fake if their exposure was limited to some of his cheesier films. I think it's a nice evolution from FS/LS.

Mononoke

Banned
Album is alright. I actually prefer the more experimental sound of "Ocean Floor" to most of the album. But the cheesy R&B stuff is fine.

Strawberry Bubblegum, Don't Hold the Wall and Mirrors are great pop songs.

remnant

Banned
Ugh, don't tell me we're in for another era of people who don't like pop music heralding Justin Timberlake as the "Savior of Pop". Got enough of that mess during FS/LS.

Still bopping to Strawberry Bubblegum, tho.

Well there has been a resurgence of motown/stax sound and neosoul out among other pop acts like mayer hawthorne and fitz and the tantrums.

JT is the most famous performer to dabble in this well, so yeah he is kind of bringing something new and unique to the table here. At least to the mainstream audience.

see5harp

Lmao frank ocean knows when to end songs. Justin timberlake thinks everything needs a 6 minute outro

Channel orange obliterates this boredom

While I love Channel Orange, I don't find everything on this album boring. That spanish guitar bullshit and the outro for every single song does seem a bit hamfisted though. JT def needs to open up and work with new blood.

EDIT: Mayer Hawthorne and Jamie Lidell made albums soooo damn long ago and both arent' remotely mainstream. The last guy do do the retro revival is R. Kelly, which is fitting because most of the R&B singers I like are basically just jacking his swag.

Koodo

Banned
This album took a tremendous nosedive for me a day after listening. I'm even finding myself siding with the people claiming the songs are excessively long; I had no problem with that yesterday, but now it's even exhausting to get through the songs I liked.

The worst is that the album does not have a single memorable moment. Justine's previous two albums had a couple of those (i.e. Cry Me A River, SexyBack). The 20/06 Experience is just devoid of any form of impact, some sort of hook to keep listeners addicted. It's just one long, self-indulgent wet fart. Even if the overall quality at display here wasn't subpar, this album STILL wouldn't register at a level above great due to its refusal to rise above the utter ordinary.

I can't help but agree with a previous claim that even RIHANUS, in all her immense artistic mediocrity, shat out a better album than Justine. At least her album shines bright for three minutes; The 20/06 Experience doesn't have enough fuel to light a small candle.

bud

the first song is excessively long. the rest doesn't feel that way to me so far.

listening to "mirrors" now. the beat sounds familiar to "what goes around..." which is kinda lame.

The whole album feels like its dedicated to Jessica Biel; also something that can be played at weddings. I hope JT has a album filled with uptempo bangers within the next year or so. The 20/20 Experience is really good just not FutureSex/LoveSounds level.

Mononoke

Banned
the first song is excessively long. the rest doesn't feel that way to me so far.

listening to "mirrors" now. the beat sounds familiar to "what goes around..." which is kinda lame.

Yeah, I don't really like how the first rack has that extended outro or whatever you want to call it. Really adds nothing to the song. Should have just ended at the 4 min mark. It's a pretty good opening track as is.

Koodo

Banned
The whole album feels like its dedicated to Jessica Biel; also something that can be played at weddings.
Probably why the album is utterly mediocre if that's the source of inspiration; and also explains why the album feels completely phoned in. Can't expect an alleged rampant cheater to write a line of sincerity regarding love.

Oozer3993

Yeah, I don't really like how the first rack has that extended outro or whatever you want to call it. Really adds nothing to the song. Should have just ended at the 4 min mark. It's a pretty good opening track as is.

THIS IS THE WRONGEST THING THAT HAS EVER BEEN SAID ON THE INTERNET.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Probably why the album is utterly mediocre if that's the source of inspiration; and also explains why the album feels completely phoned in. Can't expect an alleged rampant cheater to write a line of sincerity regarding love.

Are you real.

Servbot24

Banned
...you do realize that the vast majority of tracks on 20/20 are shallow Love Songs, right? So hopefully you're not excluding JT from your scathing criticism here.

Not entirely, but they're less admiration songs and more I'm awesome enough to have you songs.

Koodo

Banned
Not entirely, but they're less admiration songs and more I'm awesome enough to have you songs.
What a cop out. It's the same trite, safe shit about love.

In fact, that 20/20 is full of love songs speaks worse for Justine than most other acts. I wouldn't mind if Lady Gaga drops an album entirely about love since she spent a significant portion of her last project bickering about social issues; not the same for Justine, who's largely been regurgitating love concepts since the inception of his career. Does he not have anything else to talk about, or does his creativity have incredibly narrow limits?

What a cop out. It's the same trite, safe shit about love.

In fact, that 20/20 is full of love songs speaks worse for Justine than most other acts. I wouldn't mind if Lady Gaga drops an album entirely about love since she spent a significant portion of her last project bickering about social issues; not the same for Justine, who's largely been regurgitating love concepts since the inception of his career. Does he not have anything else to talk about, or does his creativity have incredibly narrow limits?
This is a pitiful excuse. R&B by definition is supposed to be overboard and teeming with heart-on-your-sleeve emotion. If you don't like the thematic crux of 20/20, you should probably stop listening to R&B entirely.

D23

POP GAF irrevocably shitting up this thread.

Album still fantastic.

lmao i noticed that too, its like an onslaught

but srsly, after the third time listening to the whole album now, im even more impressed!

was addicted to tunnel vission yesterday, but now im enjoying don't hold the wall and one pusher girl, its definitely one of those album that have to grow on you

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is a pitiful excuse. R&B by definition is supposed to be overboard and teeming with heart-on-your-sleeve emotion. If you don't like the thematic crux of 20/20, you should probably stop listening to R&B entirely.
At least he could bear to write* about love in more creative ways. Spaceship coupe is honestly the only interesting concept.

Koodo

Banned
I'll agree with that at least koo
You must be sober today. xoxo

And yet, Justine is a Pop/R&B hybrid rather than a pure member of the latter.

But that's not the point, anyway. The problem is the inherent hypocrisy in giving a pass to Justine for exessively writing about love and then lambasting other acts for doing the same. That shit will be called out.

You must be sober today. xoxo

And yet, Justine is a Pop/R&B hybrid rather than a pure member of the latter.

But that's not the point, anyway. The problem is the inherent hypocrisy in giving a pass to Justine for exessively writing about love and then lambasting other acts for doing the same. That shit will be called out.
Who exactly are you calling out? You're nebulously shouting at the sky at no one in particular, derailing the thread with your rambling, incoherent tirades devoid of any factual basis or even a solid point, apparently.

Koodo

Banned
Who exactly are you calling out? You're nebulously shouting at the sky at no one in particular, derailing the thread with your rambling, incoherent tirades devoid of any factual basis or even a solid point, apparently.
The person I was replying to, cupcake. Perhaps do a read up before bursting a vein.

Mau ®

I personally think the album is GREAT from the start to finish. There is nothing quite like it out and it flows very well.

Its not a particularly good album for a quick listening session as most songs are 6min+. I have to test it on a basketball session though, thats my ultimate test lol

I can't compare it to FutureSex, it's got its own vibe going. Though I can safely say FutureSex had more instant jams.

Oh and DON'T COME FOR POP-GAF AKA BEST GAF,k?

Ashhong

Can we all just agree that Timbo really came through here? I don't think anybody really expected him to still be this good. But he is.

Top Bottom