• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Second half is great. That Girl, Let the Groove Get In, Mirrors, Blue Ocean Floor are all really good.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm not feeling this album. It literally put me to sleep on my first listen. I'll have to wait for a better format to be released before I give it a second listen, since I found myself wanting to skip/fast-forward through tracks... so much padding and fillers.

iavi

The two halves of this thing are like polar opposites; The first half is fantastic, with bits of garbage like suit and tie and that intro, while the second half is pretty sleepy aside from one track which I don't know the name of.

Dartastic

I have a lot to say about this album after listening to it three times. There seem to be mixed feelings towards it, and I get it. I love the album, but I think people seem to not get it. Maybe I'll make a post about it tomorrow once I'm not drunk. Hah.

Maximus.

Just listened to the stream on iTunes and wow what a seamless flow throughout the whole album. JT deff killed it and Timbaland did an amazing job. Suit & Tie sounds so much better in the album then when I heard it alone. Cant wait to get it!

So far I really like Don't hod the wall and Strawberry Bubblegum. Mirrors was the most boring second single he could have released however.

Between this and the Rhye album, getting more sexy Soul than I can handle.

Leave the old-school fetishism to Bruno Mars and give me more songs in the vein of Strawberry Bubblegum, Tunnel Vision, and Blue Ocean Floor please, Mr. Timberlake.

On my second playthrough right now. Don't Hold The Wall is fucking awesome and I'm loving the more subtle sounds of the album versions of Pusher Love Girl and That Girl.

tumblr_m1tgwas1dW1qd54da.gif

So good.

Rolling Stone gives the album at 4/5: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/the-20-20-experience-20130311

The 20/20 Experience may test the patience of fans expecting immediate gratification. There are no songs as instantly infectious as "Like I Love You" or "SexyBack," nothing that cuts as deep as "Cry Me a ­River" or "My Love." But eventually the music sinks its teeth in, even on the wooziest songs. The closing "Blue Ocean Floor" has no beat as such, and not much of a melody – just stray percussion coloring a wash of psychedelic sounds. Timberlake sings, "If my red eyes don't see you anymore/And I can't hear you through the white noise/Just send your heartbeat out there to the blue ocean floor." If you had to categorize it, you'd call it an abstract ambient soul ballad. But that guy in the suit and tie, that showbiz savant – in the end, he makes it sound like pop.

Kusagari

I listened to Pusher Love Girl and Suit and Tie and was bored out of my mind.

Then I hit Don't Hold the Wall and Strawberry Bubblegum and this got awesome.

Odinson

Just finished streaming. I'm loving this album. It usually takes me a couple of listens to get a feel for an album. I got this on the first run through. Stand out tracks are don't hold the wall, tunnel vision, that girl, let the grove in and Mirrors...

....You are you are the love of my life, you are you are the love of my life..
janet.gif

I think the best part of the album is its insistence to surprise and experiment. Easily JT's most varied, diverse album to date. Mind-melding mash-ups of genres, styles, and influences. The slight middle eastern/tribal flair of Don't Hold the Wall, the channeling of Stevie Wonder in Strawberry Bubblegum, the pure pop ecstasy of mirrors, the psychedelic undertones of Blue Ocean Floor. Unbelievable.

Top 5 tracks:
1. Tunnel Vision
2. Mirrors
3. Strawberry Bubblegum
4. Let the Groove Get In
5. Don't Hold the Wall

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damnit, post got deleted while mobile browser decided to refresh itself.

Anyways, after a few more listens:
- I can say there isn't a song I actively dislike on this album, they're all amazing in their own ways, even Suit & Tie has grown on me heavy because like Domino said, the context of the album helps the song a lot
- I think most of the songs justify their length/intros/outros pretty damn well, outside of Strawberry Bubblegum, which doesn't need it's lengthy outro really, but the rest of the song is so goddamn good it doesn't matter. The only other song that could use a slight trimming is Spaceship Coupe, but not by much.
- Favourite song? #ICant.. if I had to, maybe Strawberry Bubblegum or Don't Hold The Wall... okay it's probably Mirrors still but I wouldn't be surprised if in a week my mind changed
- It's not that Blue Ocean Floor is a bad song, I like it, but it just kind of kills the momentum/flow the rest of the album has in it's tracks. Other than that, the album is really damn cohesive and gives me more reason to believe 10-12 tracks is the sweet spot every album should aim for.
- Early contender for AOTY for me, I can't see this being surpassed by anything except maybe Oxymoron or Kanye's next solo
- JT dropped a classic, haters/Pop-GAF fall back

royalan

The most forgettable album I've listened to in a long time. I can't recall a single track sticking with me...even UNAPOLOGETIC had at least one of two tracks that were memorable. No track sticks out as special, even the ones I kinda liked. :-/

I wrote a stupidly long "as I was listening" style review on PopGAF last night for any who might care to read it.

But I'll just post my final thought in here:

Final Verdict: The first half is a surprising triumph for Timbaland. The entire thing is an uninspired failure for JT, featuring the most uninspired vocal performance I've heard on a album since whatever the fuck Macy Gray released last. If this is what you came out of retirement to bring back to music, Justin, go back to B-rated movies.

INvEC3E.png

About the only good thing I can say about 20/20 is that it renewed my faith in Timbaland. I've been outspoken in PopGAF about how I haven't liked Tim's tired beats for years and thought his production would be the worst part about this project...but he really stepped it up. In his best moment (Tunnel Vision) he reminded me of why he was THE producer to go to in the late 90s. I didn't think he was capable of that level of quality anymore. Props.

Why do other people even bother making pop music? "Let me show you a few things" indeed. This album is going to be on repeat for quite a while.

After one listen I think it's a fantastic album. Song length isn't an issue for me, and there's no song I really hate. Suit & Tie is probably the worst track on here, but I definitely don't dislike it as much as some do. I'm feeling the whole classy retro-futuristic sound.

Servbot24

Banned
The most forgettable album I've listened to in a long time. I can't recall a single track sticking with me...even UNAPOLOGETIC had at least one of two tracks that were memorable. No track sticks out as special, even the ones I kinda liked. :-/

Final Verdict: The first half is a surprising triumph for Timbaland. The entire thing is an uninspired failure for JT, featuring the most uninspired vocal performance I've heard on a album since whatever the fuck Macy Gray released last.

This post is unfathomable. Rihanna sings like a corpse.

I mean I know that PopGAF really doesn't care about music. It's basically a perverse version of a Superman vs Goku thread. But come on mate, know your limits.

About the only good thing I can say about 20/20 is that it renewed my faith in Timbaland. I've been outspoken in PopGAF about how I haven't liked Tim's tired beats for years and thought his production would be the worst part about this project...but he really stepped it up. In his best moment (Tunnel Vision) he reminded me of why he was THE producer to go to in the late 90s. I didn't think he was capable of that level of quality anymore. Props.

The only thing I agree with you on is Timbaland. He really took me by surprise here. Tunnel Vision channeled some "Ginuwine - The Bachelor" nostalgia. Though I was hoping for a return of The Neptunes this time around (next album maybe?). Other than that. The Album is ace in my book. Very enjoyable listen, feels more akin to justified -- which is a massive plus.

Fry

Buy a USB DAC and take it to work.

Rocking a fiio e7 and Beyerdynamic 770 at work. Software engineering jobs are very conducive to that environment, though.

There are tons of headphones in here, I'm so stupid.

I was listening to it for 20 minutes. Was loving it. Now I'll go home and listen to the rest of it.

Artemisia

Banned
But come on mate, know your limits.

Ke$ha is often seen as obnoxious, and that's her strength. Her "rapping" is grating, she drenches many of her vocals in autotune (because it sounds great. If you still think she can't sing at this point you're being willfully ignorant), and she ignores most conventional pop song structures. Even the music that interacts with her is obnoxious in it's own right; sounds come out of nowhere when they shouldn't and effects sporadically jut from the surface or melt into themselves. It has abrasion, grip, terrain, and above all, character, all while being as immaculately polished and catchy as you would expect from a prime contender for modern day Queen of Pop. In terms of pure sonics, this juxtaposition positions it as the most important and most sensational pop album of the year.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

let Janelle release a good album first. Archandroid was a good practice run.

Well it's not a good look for many other artists if her 'practice run' shits on most albums released in the past few years.

Servbot24

Banned

What? Warrior is fantastic for the most part. Only thing that came close last year was Carly Rae. Of course PopGAF isn't going to agree because they're bickering over power leve- er, I mean sales figures.

Music is sound.

Artemisia

Banned
Many members on PopGAF enjoyed Warrior, but to criticize someone saying Unapologetic was more memorable than The 20/20 Experience by saying Rihanna sounds like a corpse, after writing THAT about a KESHA album?

Take a seat.

Top Bottom