• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard some Baby Girl in some of these tracks. Tunnel Vision especially. Even down to the delivery that was all Aaliyah.
That's what I was just listening to - and totally agreed.

Even Spaceship Coupe is giving me that feel - obviously the production has a bit to do with it but it's his delivery too. I wonder how much input he had in the songwriting (doesn't matter either way - just interested) - lyrics aside which are clearly his :p Shades of Brandy's album too - which had some killer Timbaland production on it.

remnant

Banned
I'll say this tho. I hope Justin doesn't have delusions of dominating the singles charts with this album. It works as a whole and I give him credit for it but I can't for the life of me point out songs that would work as singles. The album will sell well when it releases but I don't think it's gonna be a long term seller. And he should be ok with that. It's a fine album that I'll listen to when the mood strikes but it does sounds dated in today's market. That's not to say it's a bad album in any way. It sounds like a modern Motown album but that's not what people want these days.

Suit and Tie is probably the most "single" track on the album but i can see pusher love girl and strawberry bubblegum being decent radio hits.

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

smakin that strawberry bubblegum

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey

popping that strawberry bubblegum

I don't know what is being discussed anymore, but ya'll can't tell me a fuckin thing. this is all I need for 2013.

*starts song again*

Nibel

Strawberry Bubblegummmm...

I think it's a fantastic album and I will have a lot of fun with it in the summer. I was scared that it might be to be too monotone will all the big band stuff, but it's a good album overall. And man, I really missed this guy's voice :)

Good job JT!

royalan

That's what I was just listening to - and totally agreed.

Even Spaceship Coupe is giving me that feel - obviously the production has a bit to do with it but it's his delivery too. I wonder how much input he had in the songwriting (doesn't matter either way - just interested) - lyrics aside which are clearly his :p Shades of Brandy's album too - which had some killer Timbaland production on it.

WrIajRR.jpg

Baby Girl, her impact.

I need a moment.

izkX6vQKckOwr.gif

Man...Aaliyah, Missy, Tim, and Magoo.

good memories are fucking good.

oh, and,

baby would you be my strawberry bubble gum? then I'll be your blueberry lolly popppppp

vdlow

Damn, the album is great. Not as great as FutureSex/LoveSounds, but still amazing. I think I'm in love with That Girl.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how much input he had in the songwriting (doesn't matter either way - just interested) - lyrics aside which are clearly his :p
JT is a legitimate producer who's done programming and synths on some of his releases, so I'd say quite a bit. But yeah, some of the melodies have Timberland's fingerprints all over them.

Loki

Count of Concision
Dress On is slick, Justified-esque whilst Body Count is funky!
Both are Tim too, he raps on the first.

Just listened to both of those. Both of these are obviously way more single friendly. Fucking loving Body Count's uptempo beat. I'd argue these two tracks are what people were expecting from 20/20 initially.

Chairhome

Just listened to both of those. Both of these are obviously way more single friendly. Fucking loving Body Count's uptempo beat. I'd argue these two tracks are what people were expecting from 20/20 initially.

Where did you hear these? I'm anxious to hear, though I'm getting the Target version anyway.

Galang

Banned
I think Timbaland did a great job on the production. Overall it's nice, but I don't see myself ever coming back to it again. Just not my thing

Don't Hold The Wall/Strawberry Bubblegum are the only songs I really really enjoyed. I can see myself listening to 'Don't Hold the Wall' a lot this year.

Maybe the Target bonus tracks will be more "typical pop JT" that wouldn't otherwise fit on the album?

Boom, I fuckin' called it. Just listened to Dress On, that song was RAD. Listening to Body Count now, diggin the music and beat so far - just started rapping OMG YES. This is exactly what I thought 20/20 would be like.

Edit: Now that I've listened to both of them, they are my favorite songs but there's no way they would have fit the sound or mood of the album. 20/20 is incredibly mellow and these two are very upbeat pop songs. I'm glad they were released as bonus tracks though, because they're both awesome.

andymcc

Banned
i enjoy this record. it really reminds me of the greats though. definitely feel the aforementioned prince, gaye and MJ vibes on lots of these tracks. the last one really is reminiscent of an instrumental of a bjork song, which i guess can be expected considering timbo's production history. pretty risky run times for some of these songs, can only imagine most of these tracks will be edited heavily for radio.

of course valuable discussion won't happen here with a majority of pop-gaf present and accounted for. it's going to be a regurgitation of bad tumblr gifs and the most generalized reductions of criticism.

Bgamer90

Banned
This album is definitely not for today's ADD/playlist crowd. The art of creating a concept album is lost in today's singles driven market.

Props to JT doing his own thing and not going along with the crowd. The album is very soulful and lush. The much maligned intros /outros help to build the mood of the album as a whole for the most part. Mirrors is definitely the low point in what I felt otherwise to be a well balanced sound.

I hear Prince, George Michael, Marvin Gaye, Janet and of course MJ as influences. This is a great album to relax, lounge and make out to. That's a plus for me.

My personal experience was 17/20.

Spot on. Agree 100% (even with your score).

Top Bottom