• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

POPGAF is 85% throwing shade and 15% discussing music. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

This album is definitely not for today's ADD/playlist crowd. The art of creating a concept album is lost in today's singles driven market.

Props to JT doing his own thing and not going along with the crowd. The album is very soulful and lush. The much maligned intros /outros help to build the mood of the album as a whole for the most part. Mirrors is definitely the low point in what I felt otherwise to be a well balanced sound.

I hear Prince, George Michael, Marvin Gaye, Janet and of course MJ as influences. This is a great album to relax, lounge and make out to. That's a plus for me.

My personal experience was 17/20.

Mau ®

Can we all just agree that Timbo really came through here? I don't think anybody really expected him to still be this good. But he is.

Yes, Timbo gave his all here. His production work has been awful for the past few years so it was a nice surprise to see him slay that shit again.

Koodo

Banned
Can we all just agree that Timbo really came through here? I don't think anybody really expected him to still be this good. But he is.
Yes, he's the star of this project. I'd say his output is still below what he did in 2006 with Nelly and Justin, but it's a return to form.

That person made no reference to other schmaltzy R&B music. So again: who are you calling out, exactly?
You keep peddling this R&B angle despite the fact that Justine is clearly also a pop artist, and references to other pop acts were made. That was called out. Do you understand?

Trigger

Some of his best work. He needs to hook up with a new artist tho. I think moving on would be best for both.

Yes, he's the star of this project. I'd say his output is still below what he did in 2006 with Nelly and Justin, but it's a return to form.

You keep peddling this R&B angle despite the fact that Justine is clearly also a pop artist, and references to other pop acts were made. That was called out. Do you understand?
Pop music has even more banal lyrics almost axiomatically. This isn't a valid complaint.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TBH it was never his pop production that was in question, it was his hip-hop production. Which has sort-of made a resurgence through Judas Closet, but not really at the same time.

And damn I didn't know that lyrics mattered so much in pop. People really getting heated over that.

royalan

I see a lot of people taking shots at PopGAF without actually addressing our points...as per.

I think if anything PopGAF is demonstrating that we don't "Stan" any old thing attached to a big name or that makes it into the Top 40. MOST OF US were excited for JTs comeback, but the album is bad and a lot of us aren't above calling it out.

Koodo

Banned
And damn I didn't know that lyrics mattered so much in pop. People really getting heated over that.
I'm not elitist with lyrics unless they get offensively indulgent (see: Justin Timberlake; see the worst offender: Christina Aguilera). That being said, I will call out the hypocrisy in giving a pass to Justine's meandering regurgitations about love while lambasting other acts doing the same until Nas is no longer forced to pay alimony.

The only thing I'm seeing here, really, is evidence that Justine's management's marketing positioning him as a true artisté has been working wonders. In reality, he is cut from the same manufactured cloth as Katy Perry.

The only thing I'm seeing here, really, is evidence that Justine's management's marketing positioning him as a true artisté has been working wonders. In reality, he is cut from the same manufactured cloth as Katy Perry.

This may be true but then again, name an act that doesn't make his/her own narrative for marketing purposes (see worst offender: Lady Gaga).

Koodo

Banned
This may be true but then again, name an act that doesn't make his/her own narrative for marketing purposes (see worst offender: Lady Gaga).
I have zero problems with that.
i7twyFNvkXuch.gif

But you can't help but let out a light cackle when faulty generalizations like "shitty pop" are used in the thread about the biggest corporate-driven act in recent memory.

Servbot24

Banned
I have zero problems with that.
i7twyFNvkXuch.gif

But you can't help but let out a light cackle when faulty generalizations like "shitty pop" are used in the thread about the biggest corporate-driven act in recent memory.

I don't see what correlation marketing and final product quality have.

Koodo

Banned
I can name any number of, you know, ACTUAL R&B acts who don't this and are truly 'bout dat R&B life.
Spill the tea sistren. R&B is not my main genre and even I felt insulted when Justine was called an R&B act.

Lauryn Hill would probably rather stay behind bars if she has to come out to a world where this schlock is given the title of genuine R&B.

Servbot24

Banned
If Frank can be called R&B than Justin certainly can as well.

Of course neither of them actually are; indie kids just call it that so they can feel as though they have diverse taste.

I'll say this tho. I hope Justin doesn't have delusions of dominating the singles charts with this album. It works as a whole and I give him credit for it but I can't for the life of me point out songs that would work as singles. The album will sell well when it releases but I don't think it's gonna be a long term seller. And he should be ok with that. It's a fine album that I'll listen to when the mood strikes but it does sounds dated in today's market. That's not to say it's a bad album in any way. It sounds like a modern Motown album but that's not what people want these days.

Trigger

Spill the tea sistren. R&B is not my main genre and even I felt insulted when Justine was called an R&B act.

Lauryn Hill would probably rather stay behind bars if she has to come out to a world where this schlock is given the title of genuine R&B.

Lauryn
r4CiE.png

If Frank can be called R&B than Justin certainly can as well.

Of course neither of them actually are; indie kids just call it that so they can feel as though they have diverse taste.

Whaa? How is Frank not R&B?

So I haven't listened to this album yet, but LOL @ all the people freaking out about intros and outros. It's not that uncommon in music as a whole.

Trigger

Well I admit I was thinking too much in terms of old school and that was a stupid post, :lol

Heh, it certainly through me through a loop.

So I haven't listened to this album yet, but LOL @ all the people freaking out about intros and outros. It's not that uncommon in music as a whole.

Music as a whole? No.

But for modern pop? Yes. I can't think of many popular artists that utilize intos/outros to such an extent. Most of the songs will have to be edited for radio play.

Too few songs that really make you dance on the album, though.

This this this this this

Don't get me wrong, this is a great album. But I didn't know it was going to be so mellow and sleepy and I can't help be disappointed. I'm not saying it's bad, and I can't knock it for not being what I imagined it would be, because it is great, great music. But from JT, I was expecting at least a couple tracks that were more up-tempo singy-rappy dance pop tracks. Maybe the Target bonus tracks will be more "typical pop JT" that wouldn't otherwise fit on the album?

Mirrors, though, that track is without a doubt my favorite. Suit & Tie in second place if only because of that awful JayZ verse that tanks the entire song.

Pavaloo

Wouldn't it be more like saying Kendrick is bringing credibility to hip-hop? Skits/Intros and Outros, general vibes reminiscent of older hip-hop, etc.

Servbot24

Banned

Not to mention they're the best part about this album. :)

The intros/outros are just cool production, they don't do anything for pop.

botty

Banned
It's contemporary R&B. Same thing I would group The-Dream into.

ps: The Dream >>>>>> Miguel >>>>>>> Frank Ocean

Yeah, sweep it into one of the sub genres, where it belongs. I wouldn't even put The Dream and Miguel in the same category, considering they at least have decent voices that can carry their albums. Francis needs to just stick to writing.

Trigger

Yeah, sweep it into one of the sub genres, where it belongs. I wouldn't even put The Dream and Miguel in the same category, considering they at least have decent voices that can carry their albums. Francis needs to just stick to writing.

G88RxSb.gif

Going to give it a re-listen to see if I like it more.

I was never big on JT, but I was actually surprised HOW MUCH I disliked the album.

Will be interesting to see how it performs commercially. I am sure it's first weeks sales will be great (first week is fan's and rarely has anything to do with music quality), but I have a hard time seeing the public embrace it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This thread, man.

TIMBO IS THE BEST, but the album's sound sucks, JT is so unoriginal.

I don't know what people are even talking about in this thread anymore.

royalan

we can quibble about the order but if youre saying The-Dream is #1 in R&B then i agree.

Did I just agree with Domino?

Also, can I say that part of the reason I like Spaceship Coupe is because it sounds like The Dream production? In fact, in surprised it's NOT.

Top Bottom