• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

IceCold

I wonder why Justin included Jay-Z in the album. He's the only feat. in the album and brings nothing interesting. I could understand if the album was filled with collabs, but it isn't. It's not like he needs him to sells records either.

royalan

So what's the "Cry Me a River/What Goes Around" song for this album?

If you're talking about a song with a similar sound, it's obviously "Mirrors." That song is almost a complete rip of Cry Me a River's sound.

If you mean what song is going to become the big smash that defines the era like Cry Me a River/What Goes Around did for their respective albums...I honestly don't think 20/20 has one. None of these tracks have strong radio appeal, and that seems to be a common opinion among reviews. Some people will, of course, take that as a good thing...I think it's a sign of how boring the album is.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder why Justin included Jay-Z in the album. He's the only feat. in the album and brings nothing interesting. I could understand if the album was filled with collabs, but it isn't. It's not like he needs him to sells records either.
Few musicians would turn down the chance to work with Jay-Z period. Even before you think of marketing (Jay can't be "bought" anyways, he'll only jump on the song if he likes it)

If you're talking about a song with a similar sound, it's obviously "Mirrors." That song is almost a complete rip of Cry Me a River's sound.

If you mean what song is going to become the big smash that defines the era like Cry Me a River/What Goes Around did for their respective albums...I honestly don't think 20/20 has one. None of these tracks have strong radio appeal, and that seems to be a common opinion among reviews. Some people will, of course, take that as a good thing...I think it's a sign of how boring the album is.

The two bonus tracks from Target have WAY more radio play appeal. They're "normal" JT songs. I don't know if the fact that they're Target-exclusive bonus tracks will affect their chances or ability to be played on the radio, but they are definitely the only two that can stand on their own, uncut for length or anything.

Trigger

I think an edited Mirrors/Tunnel Vision/Don't Hold The Wall could do it.

Koodo

Banned

Even then, charting high doesn't necessarily mean the song will have any actual impact. Suit & Tie is gaining traction after RCA made a concerted effort to force-feed that turd to the public, but it's hardly a hit that will leave any lasting mark on the public; a Flo Rida type high charter that will quickly be forgotten as soon as the song descends into irrelevance.

This album is truly devoid of memorable moments like Cry Me A River or SexyBack, and that is inexcusable. Memorability has nothing to do with the tempo of the song or how off-kilter it may be from current trends; after all, ADELE had impact with the depressingly-slow Someone Like You and Amy Winehouse had impact with the funky retro-throwback Rehab. Those were amazing songs, however, something that can't be used to describe the limp offerings in 20/20.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

How did you honestly type this with a straight face?

I mean I know you've been on your hater shit in this thread with some pretty weak arguments, but this I have to call you out on. I think it's time you listened to Cry Me A River again. They sound nothing alike when it comes to the format, vocals, the production, absolutely nothing.

royalan

How did you honestly type this with a straight face?

I mean I know you've been on your hater shit in this thread with some pretty weak arguments, but this I have to call you out on. I think it's time you listened to Cry Me A River again. They sound nothing alike when it comes to the format, vocals, the production, absolutely nothing.

...Why do you come for me like I'm the only one who has made the comparison?

Mirrors' chord progression is almost identical to Cry Me a River's.

And not just here. Mirrors has been compared to Cry Me a River by a lot of people.

RVJl1Bv.png

Stay obsesseD, tho
iVu6QsimKm6RV.gif

Petrichor

Damn it warms my heart to see some Timbaland love around these parts!

Can We - SWV
Beep Me 911 - Missy
She's A Bitch - Missy
Hey Papi - Jay-Z
We Need A Resolution - Aaliyah

^ These are all better than yours (imo of course)
Good shout on Wake Up, beat is phenomenal but strangely overlooked.
Ice Box isn't really Tim by the way, sure he's credited but..... yeah.

Those are all great too - my original list was done a little desultorily to be honest, I probably would have included these three if i'd thought about it a little more:

1) Say it Right - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yGpg3KF3C8

2) Anonymous - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ517xKmBos

3) Oops (Oh My) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb37Nh_Sg4g

Kisaya

I'm pretty indifferent about this album. I think it's O-KAY.
I agree that it kinda does drag though...
Tunnel Vision stands out the most to me, and I still love Mirrors.

Gotta give it one more listen or two. :p

bud

does "mirrors" not sound similar "to what goes around" to anyone else?

i was just listening to "cry me a river" and i can definitely hear it.

Justin wanted to work with him. That simple really.
He tried getting him on Future Sex but couldn't, so made it happen this time around.
He's also sort of Timbaland's boss now so perhaps that factored into things.....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
...Why do you come for me like I'm the only one who has made the comparison?

And not just here. Mirrors has been compared to Cry Me a River by a lot of people.

RVJl1Bv.png

Stay obsesseD, tho
iVu6QsimKm6RV.gif
It still sounds nothing like a complete rip of Cry Me A Mirror.

They sound like completely distinct sounds.

Loki

Count of Concision

Anyone who can tell me how I can record the audio from this embedded video will have many thanks heaped upon them.

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not trying to pirate the song or anything, but I REALLY like this live version and I'm not sure if I'll like the album version the same way. I definitely intend to purchase this song when it's available, however.

Ashhong

Anyone who can tell me how I can record the audio from this embedded video will have many thanks heaped upon them.

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm not trying to pirate the song or anything, but I REALLY like this live version and I'm not sure if I'll like the album version the same way. I definitely intend to purchase this song when it's available, however.

You're going to have to find some kind of flash to mp3 converter. If you use Firefox there are extensions that do this. I forgot the name though.

This album is excellent. The production is pretty damned amazing, definitely didn't think Timbaland still had it in him after quite a few duds but yeah.

Will definitely be buying this.

Loki

Count of Concision
I am unable to download the actual video/audio using any Firefox extension I can find (as recommended above). It only lets me download the intro commercial ads they show. Can anyone help with the below request? I would be VERY grateful - I purchased the album version of this song on iTunes and don't like it nearly as much as this live version.

Servbot24

Banned
Top pop albums of the 10s

1. Nadia Oh - Colours
2. Lights - Siberia
3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss
4. Tove Styrke - Tove Styrke
5. Taylor Swift - Speak Now
6. Justin Timberlake - 20/20
7. Ke$ha - Warrior
8. Frank + Derol - Frank + Derol EP
9. Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes
10. Anna Abreu - Rush

Returners

I was more looking for the "ex" song. Cry me a River and What goes are all about getting even and got released as singles.

IceCold

Tunnel Vision is definitely the best song. It makes be think of a late 90s R&B song. Like something Aaliyah would do.

Imm0rt4l

Well JT wanted jay on his last album. Jay seemed to busy/disinterested even back then. I think this is them squashing that whole thing. I don't think should have been on either way, he adds nothing of real value on most features IMO.

see5harp

Body Count and Dress on are so terrible. People really should just buy the non Target version so that their bonus track version don't become ingrained in their memory. Blue Ocean Floor works much better as a ender.

EDIT: Tunnel Vision would be a pretty awesome radio single. There's a lot of pop/R&B stuff that has nods to late 90's stuff. I heard a Balam Acab remix for Ghosttown DJ's My Boo last year, and this year Ciara incorporated that same verse into her new (GREAT) single. That new Ryan Hemsworth Fader mix is chock full of 90's R&B.

I will never understand why Suit and Tie was the first single.
Oh well.

He should have released Tunnel Vision and Mirrors the same day, announced his comeback and album release date and everyone would have gone nuts.

Top Bottom