• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Trigger

Disgustin, again, might be the most lame play on words insult I've ever heard

But no one has explained to me why Pop-GAF hates timberlake like he's the devil. Is it because he embarrassed Britney Spears and hasn't become a joke like her?

POP-GAF as a whole has been divided. Some of us like it and others don't. Maybe you should read a few of the past posts. POP-GAF members have given individual reasons for why they dislike the album.

POP-GAF as a whole has been divided. Some of us like it and others don't. Maybe you should read a few of the past posts. POP-GAF members have given individual reasons for why they dislike the album.

Calling him disgustin isn't about not liking the album, but not liking him

Pavaloo

Disgustin, again, might be the most lame play on words insult I've ever heard

But no one has explained to me why Pop-GAF hates timberlake like he's the devil. Is it because he embarrassed Britney Spears and hasn't become a joke like her?

They said they don't like how when Justin comes onto the scene people are like "Justin bringing credibility to pop," "Justin finally making pop good again," etc.

I can see how that would irk a pop enthusiast.
Just bought FSLS and Justified. I never heard these cd's before so I'm amped.
truly jealous you're experiencing those for the first time.

Pop-GAF only puts out for artists with radio-friendly hits. This album doesn't really have a lot of those.
So many generalizations in this thread. Pop-GAF is more diverse than you'd think.

Anyway, ranking time:

1) Strawberry Bubblegum (both parts are so chill)
2) Tunnel Vision (a production masterpiece)
3) Don't Hold The Wall (see above)
4) Let The Groove Get In (I like the 80s style piano parts, the hook is meh)

Can't bother with the detritus that constitutes the rest of the album.

Trigger

Calling him disgustin isn't about not liking the album, but not liking him

Eh, that's just POP-GAF's playfulness in effect. We mock every artist (and yeah the name is lame). :p

It's not a mark of some genuine personal vendetta.

Pop-GAF only puts out for artists with radio-friendly hits. This album doesn't really have a lot of those.

That's like saying PoliGAF only puts out for liberal politicians.

royalan

They said they don't like how when Justin comes onto the scene people are like "Justin bringing credibility to pop," "Justin finally making pop good again," etc.

I can see how that would irk a pop enthusiast.

Exactly.

Justin is this year's Frank Ocean. Which would be somewhat forgiveable if the album were something other than mediocre.

If you followed PopGAF it would be difficult to claim that there aren't artists out there doing it way better than Justin when it comes to concept and scope.

Exactly.

Justin is this year's Frank Ocean. Which would be somewhat forgiveable if the album were something other than mediocre.

If you followed PopGAF it would be difficult to claim that there aren't artists out there doing it way better than Justin when it comes to concept and scope.

What is popGAF opinion on frank ocean and channel orange?

This album is
4azfXLb.gif

Pavaloo

Off topic, but what does Pop-Gaf think of these tracks? (one, two, & three)

I tend to disagree with Pop-Gaf a lot with this JT album and I'm curious what they think of some of my favourite (what I consider) poppy songs.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Tunnel Vision is really fucking good. That horn at the end is 100% Aaliyah. He sounds great, too.

Loki

Count of Concision
Did anybody manage to rip the audio of his Fallon performances? Because I love the live version of Strawberry Bubblegum and I can't stop watching it.

I've been asking how to do this for pages now. I looooved the live version of Mirrors (more so than the album version) and have been trying in vain to download the video, from which I could get the audio. No luck with any flash video download extension in Firefox, however. All I'm able to get is the opening commercial, and then dozens of small files seem to spawn, none of which are the actual video. Anyone know how to do this?

Fey

Banned
Off topic, but what does Pop-Gaf think of these tracks? (one, two, & three)

I tend to disagree with Pop-Gaf a lot with this JT album and I'm curious what they think of some of my favourite (what I consider) poppy songs.

I don't represent popgaf, but I loathe 20/20 and think all three of these are really great. *.*

And popgaf has been really divided on this album, so they really shouldn't be generalized as "hating it" by you guys. There is a big chunk of them that love 20/20.

BowieZ

Banned
So what are the next singles likely to be? I get the impression we're not going to get an incredible run like we had in 2006-2008.

BowieZ

Banned
Oh, well I meant after Mirrors - I was presuming that was the official second single. Nothing else seems commercial so it will be interesting how they handle it.

Pavaloo

I don't represent popgaf, but I loathe 20/20 and think all three of these are really great. *.*

And popgaf has been really divided on this album, so they really shouldn't be generalized as "hating it" by you guys. There is a big chunk of them that love 20/20.

Fair enough, I should probably hop over there before I make the assumption. And good to know! They're great bands.

Jesus no wonder I couldn't find the thread forever, you guys named it CammieGAF. lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
He's been performing Mirrors for a while so I would imagine that that is the next single. It's probably my favorite song on the album.

mileS

Let the groove get in live was freakin sick. I usually hate live performances, so it takes quite a bit to impress me. damn.

Pavaloo

?uestlove said:
"i thought okayplayer was a place i could trust"

"friggin mofos done ran with this info snitching and shit. this is why i really can't eff with this site no more. back before social media i was all sharing treats and happy in our insular world. now mofos all using my position to get their blogs posting on."

Yo Quest sorry man, I didn't know.

DominoKid

i post on there, questlove has nothing to complain about. you can't just drop info about a new album from a superstar and not expect it to get out. he always talks about how more of the industry (artists, suits, journalists, etc) is on OKP than we could ever imagine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what does popgaf like?
They like saying Timbo is the saving grace of this album but then complain about the sound of the album, which is in part, if not mostly, Timbo's responsibility.

Liking shorter songs, that's a complaint I understand. Yeah people are ADD nowadays but I think arguments can be made for not preferring the longer forms of songs. Another complaint I understand is not having enough dance jams, but I don't really care for that because Justin's best songs have never been the dance ones. Those two complaints I understand, and those are not specifically from PopGAF either.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So what does popgaf like?

PopGaf is not a single entity, we all like different things. Just because one of us or a few don't like the album it doesnt mean we all hate it. Some of our members are trying it here and consequently its turning the topic into an evaluation of PopGaf which is annoying since we are all being generalize by the taste of a few.

I dont like the 20/20 E, its not my type of sound. But Mirrors is a jam

Sleepy

Just bought FSLS and Justified. I never heard these cd's before so I'm amped.

I just listened to FSLS for the first time this week, well besides the radio hits, and HOLY SHIT is it amazing. I mostly listen to extreme metal (grind/death/black) and FSLS just flat out knocked me on my ass. So hyped for 20/20.

Trigger

i post on there, questlove has nothing to complain about. you can't just drop info about a new album from a superstar and not expect it to get out. he always talks about how more of the industry (artists, suits, journalists, etc) is on OKP than we could ever imagine.

I agree. Information spreads like wildfire these days.

PopGaf is not a single entity, we all like different things. Just because one of us or a few don't like the album it doesnt mean we all hate it. Some of our members are trying it here and consequently its turning the topic into an evaluation of PopGaf which is annoying since we are all being generalize by the taste of a few.

Wasting your time. This is too much for some people to grasp unfortunately.

Pavaloo

I just listened to FSLS for the first time this week, well besides the radio hits, and HOLY SHIT is it amazing. I mostly listen to extreme metal (grind/death/black) and FSLS just flat out knocked me on my ass. So hyped for 20/20.

I smiled reading this, that's awesome man. The outro to Lovestoned in particular resonates with me hard, but I love that album front to back.

R3TRODYCE

Oh man, so far it's blowing me away too!

iTMsPfFM9qkSe.gif

As a POPGAF Elder, I enjoy 20/20. I think the contingent of pg that dislikes it, does so because it's just normal good music. Some popgaffers like things because its different and "avant garde" but it mostly sounds like shit to me. But those are my sisters and I <3 them.

R3TRODYCE

Just finished listening to FSLS for the first time and my god, I feel like I've missed out on so much now. The cd is amazing, what the hell was I doing when it released; I mean damn!

Pavaloo

I remember the first time I heard What Goes Around Comes Back Around change up and that beat switch, oh lawd, I want to do that again.

bud

the only song i'm not really feeling is "pusher love girl," and of course jay-z shouldn't have been on "suit & tie."

other than that it's fantastic.

Top Bottom