• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

TheOddOne

Let's not forget Danja co-produced both 20/20 and FS/LS.

Coincidence that those are some of Tim's best recent works?
Danja and Timbo have been beefing for a while now. Danja seems to have dropped off the planet after some succesful solo productions though.

listening to the record for the first time, and in parts sounds like corinne bailey rae might pop in every second and sing a line.
this is good and bad at the same time!

so far enjoyable album, but some tracks are too long. not because i dislike lengthy tracks (au contraire, i also listen to some progrock), but I think that heaving a 4 minute part of just repeating and varying some lines is not enough to warrant an 8 minute track. still pretty good though!

royalan

Danja submitted tracks to Brit's team, but I think they were rejecteD.

Britney IS working with Elijah Blake on her next album though, which is some amazing foresight on the part of her team. That boy is about to blow up.

ok just finished listening to the record!

i think mirrors is still my favourite track and I always enjoy it when it comes on the radio.
all in all i prefer the second half of the album, but i need to give it another listen to get into the groove!

when it comes to the production side, how big is jt's input?

he claims on some tracks it's 50/50, he has production credits on a lot of the tracks but honestly I doubt this very much. He probably comes in and changes a snare around and they give him a credit

Servbot24

Banned
he claims on some tracks it's 50/50, he has production credits on a lot of the tracks but honestly I doubt this very much. He probably comes in and changes a snare around and they give him a credit

From the Fallon shows it looks like he can certainly play. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he hung out in the studio with Timba and gave input.

From the Fallon shows it looks like he can certainly play. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he hung out in the studio with Timba and gave input.

I'm not PopGAF, I don't doubt his musical talent, but I think vast majority of music is handled by TImbo and J-Ros.

I remember he said that when Timbo would leave the studio he was mess around with the beat when he wasn't there and they would build off that when he'd return

Exactly.

Justin is this year's Frank Ocean. Which would be somewhat forgiveable if the album were something other than mediocre.

If you followed PopGAF it would be difficult to claim that there aren't artists out there doing it way better than Justin when it comes to concept and scope.
But Channel Orange sucked

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn, Spaceship Coupe is working it's way up the charts of my favorite song of the album.

Just listen to that shit right now. Headphones on. That bass is so mesmerizing.

"Eeeeeverybody is looking for the flyest thing to saaay"
"---Flyest thing to say"

ok just finished listening to the record!

i think mirrors is still my favourite track and I always enjoy it when it comes on the radio.
all in all i prefer the second half of the album, but i need to give it another listen to get into the groove!

I'm not the biggest JT fan but there are enough tracks for me to pick this up on Tuesday. Did you buy the vinyl? Curious since you used the word "record"?

Loki

Count of Concision
Mirrors performance on Fallon is fantastic. As if that song couldn't get any better, it does.

It's amazing. Significantly better than the album version imo, which is already very good. It's just...soulful.

Servbot24

Banned
It always makes me sad F&L II will never get mentions in AOTY. GAH.
I didn't even give that album a chance. I'm done with that dude, I have too many other things to listen to at this point.

CO is not even a top 50 record of 2012, not even close.

Kisaya

So I gave this album a good three listens. I love JT. I was super excited with this album coming out and I loved Suit & Tie. Mirrors literally slayed me when it was released as well.

20/20 is pretty underwhelming though. I've said it before but it's just O-KAY. Nothing really stands out to me aside from maybe 3-4 songs.

I want to stan this album, I really do, but it's so hard when I can't even member if a track sounded good or not. Maybe if I heard this whole album performed live I would appreciate it a lot more :(

That said, I like Pusher Love Girl, Suit & Tie, Tunnel Vision, and Mirrors. Spaceship Coupe and Blue Ocean Floor are alright. Everything else I just can't get behind :B

That said, I like Pusher Love Girl, Suit & Tie, Tunnel Vision, and Mirrors. Spaceship Coupe and Blue Ocean Floor are alright. Everything else I just can't get behind :B

what sort of man can't get behind Strawberry Bubblegum.

Sir, I would slap you if you were a bit closer.

Kisaya

what sort of man can't get behind Strawberry Bubblegum.

Sir, I would slap you if you were a bit closer.

I think with Strawberry Bubblegum is that it drags on for too long, so it becomes forgettable halfway through.

Plus it's right before Tunnel Vision which totally outshines it :p

Top Bottom