• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

really liked all of them, first impressions ranking:

1. Let the Groove Get In
2. Pusher Love Girl
3. Tunnel Vision
4. That Girl
5. Don't Hold the Wall
6. Mirrors
7. Suit & Tie
8. Blue Ocean Floor
9. Strawberry Bubblegum
10. Spaceship Coupe

My initial thoughts:

Love
Tunnel Vision
Get the Groove Get In
Mirrors

Suit and Tie
Don't Hold the Wall
That Girl
Blue Ocean Floor

Dont Like
Pusher Love Girl
Strawberry Bubble Gum
Spaceship Coupe

I feel a lot of the songs are too long though. So glad JT is back. Hopefully not a 7 year wait for the next album. That would be 2020!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
really liked all of them, first impressions ranking:

1. Let the Groove Get In
2. Pusher Love Girl
3. Tunnel Vision
4. That Girl
5. Don't Hold the Wall
6. Mirrors
7. Suit & Tie
8. Blue Ocean Floor
9. Strawberry Bubblegum
10. Spaceship Coupe

aw hell nah

mine:

1. Tunnel vision
2. That girl
3. pusher love girl
4. Mirrors
5. spaceship coupe
6. strawberry bubblegum
7. don't hold the wall
8. blue ocean floor
9. get the groove in
10. suit & tie

Three songs in. Album's amazing so far. I feel a very obvious elevation from FS/LS. This album feels much more artistically conscious and it's running wild with it. The production is through the roof.

Koodo

Banned
Let me repost some of my scattered thoughts in here:

I appreciate the retro-throwback with futuristic sprinklings the album had up until and including Spaceship Coupe. Everything after was a sad pastiche of Justine's previous efforts. In particular, Let the Groove Get In was a beyond generic display of uptempo, a sad effort from the same person responsible for excellence like SexyBack and My Love.

I had mixed feelings towards Suit & Tie, but hearing it within the context of the album was much better. Pusher Love Girl was a fantastic opener, and the first three songs momentarily led me to believe Justine would be pulling a most unexpected slaying. Then Strawberry Bubblegum happened and that momentary lapse in judgement came to an abrupt END.

Blue Ocean Floor is terrible as an album closer. It's beyond boring and ends the album on a total SNORE. I can understand the artistic decision to dial down the mood for the closer, but so many times artists dial it down way too much that it feels like a prescription of benzodiazepine.

I also found myself getting annoyed by Justine's falsetto. I'm not sure why, exactly. I couldn't help but think most of these songs would sound better with a stronger voice like Miguel's.

In short, A ROTUND 6/10. I will use Pusher Love Girl, Suit & Tie, Don't Hold The Wall, and Spaceship Coupe. Maybe Tunnel Vision will be inducted into this list after some time simmering.

Anduron

Half way through, pretty dope so far. I forget that his singles are usually my least favorite songs, holds true here.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did people enjoy Mirrors? I don't know, it reminded me way too much of pre-justified, boy-band JT.

Just finished listening. Not a fan.

I WILL say that the album is very cohesive so if you like the sound I imagine people will love the album.

Personally I am not fond of it, so I dislike most of the tracks.

2.5/5

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did people enjoy Mirrors? I don't know, it reminded me way too much of pre-justified, boy-band JT.
wat

It's pretty much nothing like what a boy band single machine would pump out..

I really enjoyed it, much, much more than Suit & Tie.

Milchjon

Of all the stuff I've heard so far, I liked it the most.

Probably for the reasons you mentioned. But I'm also a sucker for drawn out choruses.
It sounds like it tries to ape Cry Me A River, but since that's still my favorite JT song...

On Tunnel Vision right now, that one's pretty nice too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
wat

It's pretty much nothing like what a boy band single machine would pump out..

I really enjoyed it, much, much more than Suit & Tie.
Something about the melody. For example the verses sound like something out of justified, the chorus sounds like something much older with a pinch of Justified. It's not bad, but sound-wise feels like regression from FutureSex/LoveSounds.

Milchjon

So far I detect a distinct lack of real, dancey pop hits. Not sure how to feel about that.

LoveStoned is like one of about 3 songs in the world that get my ass on the dancefloor, so having something like that would've been nice.

Top Bottom