• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

Korey

I'm sorry, but the production on Tunnel Vision is fucking crazy. The BRRRRM BRM BRRRRRMMMMM thing timbo does towards the end is amazing and the ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM.

vulva

I didn't mind the length of the songs. In fact, the length was a big plus for the songs I liked. Trash like Let The Grove Get In and Mirrors are unsalvageable regardless of length.

It's a totally valid complain, however. It's not like the artistry of a song is defined by its length; I can see why people are finding it excessively indulgent.

Pretty indulgent when he outright compared himself to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. Saying he has the same ability for longer tracks as they did. The problem being that 8 minute songs don't lend themselves well to the pop format. While they can be edited down (which is what he said the plan was for the singles) it's ultimately lazy. It feels like there were X amount of ideas that they felt were required to be on the album, and made no effort to incorporate them naturally.
(I'm not really agreeing or disagreeing with anything you're saying, just building off the indulgence comment)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I didn't mind the length of the songs. In fact, the length was a big plus for the songs I liked. Trash like Let The Grove Get In and Mirrors are unsalvageable regardless of length.

It's a totally valid complain, however. It's not like the artistry of a song is defined by its length; I can understand why people are finding it excessively indulgent.

trash, really?

Trigger

Blue Ocean Floor is so beautiful and atmospheric. I can't at everyone paying it dust.

Maybe it's because of the way I listen to music. I NEVER sit down and just listen to an album start to finish after the first week or so. I always make playlists and mixes.

I just don't see the appeal. I care about the songs (which are only ok), not the extra's.

Other examples of this are Ke$ha's 'Love Into The Light" and Carrie's "Two Black Cadillac's". The first has 45 seconds at the start and finish while TBC has over a minute at the end. I can't stand it and now NEVER use them.

Yeah. Unfortunately for JT my gut says most mainstream music fans are the same, and really it's not a bad thing. It's not very common for modern pop albums to have so many outros and intros.

Koodo

Banned
trash, really?
trashl6jqx.png

Erv

There's a reduction on the album called Mirrors. It's a bit dreadful, though comparing them is unfair since one is inspired by Britney Spears while the other by the vacuum of charisma known as Jessica Biel.
So no sad songs?

Milchjon

I see PopGAF already calls this The 24/7 Experience. Now that IS funny :-D

I wonder how the radio versions will turn out.

Koodo

Banned
sometimes i wonder if PopGaf is capable of enjoying music
On the contrary, we don't look for excuses to dislike music. Do you?

Y'all need to find some consistency in the vitriol. It's either POPGAF has no standards and swallows anything with a wig and TOP 10 hit, or POPGAF doesn't like anything. Since we're in the 20/20 thread, take a hint from Justine and be consistent
ly terrible.

I see PopGAF already calls this The 24/7 Experience. Now that IS funny :-D

I wonder how the radio versions will turn out.

I am sure Justin will pay handsomely for the radio airplay.

The radio deal he worked out for S&T was one of the largest ever. He seems to value the illusion of success very highly.

Artemisia

Banned
I found myself comparing the latter half of the album to PLG and Don't Hold The Wall, and nothing even came close.

RIP. Those two are quite excellent though, and they have about 16 minutes between them so I suppose I can deal.

vulva

I really dig it actually. Never heard of this artist. These kind of tracks don't often get mainstream play.

Cool, I mostly brought it up since it's more of the ethereal sound that I like. I tend to find things like simple backmasking and soft vocals like the JT song to feel a bit empty, whereas something like that is more up my alley. If nothing else, I hope that gives an idea where I'm coming from when I dismiss the JT song. I don't mind atmospheric music, but that particular style just felt hollow and empty (to me).

botty

Banned
Twenty thousand leagues away
Catch up to you on the same day
Travel at the speed light
Thinking the same
Thought at the same time

Heart beats at a steady pace
I'll let the rhythm show me the way
No one can find us here
Fade out and disappear

Preach the good word, Justink.
iblcFGez2WIkkf.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh,another boring blanket statement. You can find more of them here.

Listening as we speak.

lol that doesn't mean anything. I say a lot of things that don't make sense, that being one of them. Also reading that thread a bit better, detecting sarcasm is not your forte.

Trigger

Cool, I mostly brought it up since it's more of the ethereal sound that I like. I tend to find things like simple backmasking and soft vocals like the JT song to feel a bit empty, whereas something like that is more up my alley. If nothing else, I hope that gives an idea where I'm coming from when I dismiss the JT song. I don't mind atmospheric music, but that particular style just felt hollow and empty (to me).

Ah, that's a pretty fair position to have. lol, it's a lot more nuanced than some here.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah Mirrors is the weakest song on the album and its not that its a bad song it just doesn't fit the vibe the rest of the album gives. Blue Ocean Floor should have been the second single if they wanted a serious song for the second single.

Fjordson

Pretty nice overall. That Girl is by far my favourite track. So catchy.

Not crazy about Mirrors or Let the Groove In, but everything else is good. Not sure how I feel about the songs being this long with the big outros. It makes for a neat listening experience, but it could really drag down its replayability.

Either way, That Girl...damn.

Koodo

Banned
Yeah Mirrors is the weakest song on the album and its not that its a bad song it just doesn't fit the vibe the rest of the album gives. Blue Ocean Floor should have been the second single if they wanted a serious song for the second single.
Everything after Spaceship Coupe feels like Timbaland's Duracells ran out of power. A jarring shift away from the cohesiveness and flow the prior seven tracks had established, and a reductive pastiche of past works. What a dreadful ending run.

tj hazuki

Everything after Spaceship Coupe feels like Timbaland's Duracells ran out of power. A jarring shift away from the cohesiveness and flow the prior seven tracks had established, and a reductive pastiche of past works. What a dreadful ending run.

I really really dont agree with this at all. 'That Girl' 'Let The Groove In' are one of my favorite songs on the album.

And are people really complaining about tracks being long? Think of it this way, Justin doesn't release albums like a Rihanna etc. Its been six years since FS/FL and now 20/20 is almost coming out next week. That's a six year gap. These long tracks are fine, and flow well together, in my opinion.

kingocfs

I really really dont agree with this at all. 'That Girl' 'Let The Groove In' are one of my favorite songs on the album.

And are people really complaining about tracks being long? Think of it this way, Justin doesn't release albums like a Rihanna etc. Its been six years since FS/FL and now 20/20 is almost coming out next week. That's a six year gap. These long tracks are fine, and flow well together, in my opinion.

Make them as long as you want, but when it's just 3 minutes of a mediocre beat, it sucks the life out of the song.

Spoke prematurely, though - second half of Hold the Wall was pretty good.

DominoKid

Finished my first listen.

tumblr_mcz617rSy01r38j04o1_500.gif

JT & Timbo combo is da bess mayne. They deed it.

10/10. A+. 100%. S-Rank. Whatever.

I gotta let that shit breathe and go marinate upon what I have just experienced.

this sorta bores me.

the last minute of mirrors, the last minute of tunnel vision and the blue ocean floor are the only songs i'm feeling.

HiiiLife

I really enjoyed the album. The song that sounds different from the rest is Let The Groove In.

Sounds like some shit you'd hear in Cafe Rio. Lol.

Top Bottom