• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

"Blue Ocean Floor" reminds me of the "Lotus intro" from Christina Aguilera's last album.
iYKCScQiuh6Jy.gif

If you're going to namecheck ha every thread you post in, at least do so with some subtlety.

Milchjon

he had some good tracks on those Shock Value albums, besides that he hasn't done too much

I quite liked them, but they're hella old.

The song that really shocked me was All About The Money by/with Timati. I guess that one wasn't all on him, but it felt like he was years behind by now.

On Mirrors now, and I think it's still my favorite.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tunnel Vision, Suit & Tie, Pusher Love Girl, & Mirrors are all good.

The rest of the album would be at home in the nearest trash can.

Also, Timbaland's ego needs a check. The super long intros/outros to each song are completely unnecessary and add nothing to any song. He should keep the amount of time that focuses on his production to a minimum.

botty

Banned
That's what I was afraid of.

I will have to relisten to Lotus intro, but I am pretty sure its 234324242343278x better than Zzzzfest of BOF.

Well, of course it's better. I just find the song to be so calming, and ethereal. Sometimes I need music that can just give me a sense of tranquility. I think BOF does that well enough. /shrug

Well, of course it's better. I just find the song to be so calming, and ethereal. Sometimes I need music that can just give me a sense of tranquility. I think BOF does that well enough. /shrug

I think playing it
on mute
would provide far more tranquility.

vulva

Songs are way too long for what they are, makes the album pretty unlistenable as a whole.

Individual tracks usually end up being 1/3 good.

Tunnel Vision is good, alien sex song is at least funny. The last track was complete trash though and absolutely did nothing.

All in the album's maybe a 5/10. I'll listen at least once more but some shit (Suit and Tie, Blue Ocean Floor, Let The Groove Get In, Strawberry Bubblegum and Pusher Love Girl) are pretty awful front to back and serve no other purpose than padding an album that was mostly padding to begin with.

Songs are way too long for what they are, makes the album pretty unlistenable as a whole.

Individual tracks usually end up being 1/3 good.

Tunnel Vision is good, alien sex song is at least funny. The last track was complete trash though and absolutely did nothing.

All in the album's maybe a 5/10. I'll listen at least once more but some shit (Suit and Tie, Blue Ocean Floor, Let The Groove Get In, Strawberry Bubblegum and Pusher Love Girl) are pretty awful front to back and serve no other purpose than padding an album that was mostly padding to begin with.

Agree with virtually everything you said, down to which songs you didn't like.

I just don't understand the purpose of the extra's..... at all.

-GJ-

Yeah, the unfortunate side effect of streaming this album early.
The album is coming out on Thursday in some countries. It would've hit the net one way or another anyway. The best thing to do was just release it for purchase on iTunes early in stead of this stream (like channel ORANGE or Watch the Throne), but oh well.

Koodo

Banned
I'm listening to FutureSex/LoveSounds at the moment, and the entirety of The 20/06 Experience was clocked with the first song.
ibfJ1kb0O4yk51.gif

Disgustin tried, but he peaked.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I wish music was cut and dry too.

The album is coming out on Thursday in some countries. It would've hit the net one way or another anyway. The best thing to do was just release it for purchase on iTunes early in stead of this stream (like channel ORANGE or Watch the Throne), but oh well.

channel orange leaked early if I recall though...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are the people complaining about the long songs here not fans of Futuresex/Lovesounds?

Just curious. I thought JT formatted his songs in such a way that they don't get tiring on FS/LS and keep you hooked all the way through. I still have favourites out of those, but it was certainly refreshing to me the way he handled stuff like Lovestoned/I Think She Knows. It's what made FS/LS really stand out IMO.

I've only listened to this album once through, and I don't see an issue. Additionally, I thought Mirrors held up incredibly well for it's length.

Koodo

Banned
So is there a cry me a river type song??
There's a reduction on the album called Mirrors. It's a bit dreadful, though comparing them is unfair since one is inspired by Britney Spears while the other by the vacuum of charisma known as Jessica Biel.

Trigger

It creates a more cohesive sound if there's a natural transition from track to track. Pusher Love Girl ---> S&T----Don't Hold the Wall all flow together nicely compared to say, Ke?ha's Warrior which jumps schizophrenically from one style and melody to another. If you're not a fan of the style then the whole thing feels like a drag, but it makes for a more quality album IMO. This album was composed with the expectation that you'd listen to most of it from start to finish, not in quick bursts.

It creates a more cohesive sound if there's a natural transition from track to track. Pusher Love Girl ---> S&T----Don't Hold the Wall all flow together nicely compared to say, Ke?ha's Warrior which jumps schizophrenically from one style and melody to another. If you're not a fan of the style then the whole thing feels like a drag, but it makes for a more quality album IMO. This album was composed with the expectation that you'd listen to most of it from start to finish not in quick bursts.

Maybe it's because of the way I listen to music. I NEVER sit down and just listen to an album start to finish after the first week or so. I always make playlists and mixes.

I just don't see the appeal. I care about the songs (which are only ok), not the extra's.

Other examples of this are Ke$ha's 'Love Into The Light" and Carrie's "Two Black Cadillac's". The first has 45 seconds at the start and finish while TBC has over a minute at the end. I can't stand it and now NEVER use them.

Koodo

Banned
Are the people complaining about the long songs here not fans of Futuresex/Lovesounds?

Just curious. I thought JT formatted his songs in such a way that they don't get tiring on FS/LS and keep you hooked all the way through. I still have favourites out of those, but it was certainly refreshing to me the way he handled stuff like Lovestoned/I Think She Knows. It's what made FS/LS really stand out IMO.

I've only listened to this album once through, and I don't see an issue. Additionally, I thought Mirrors held up incredibly well for it's length.
I didn't mind the length of the songs. In fact, the length was a big plus for the songs I liked. Trash like Let The Grove Get In and Mirrors are unsalvageable regardless of length.

It's a totally valid complain, however. It's not like the artistry of a song is defined by its length; I can understand why people are finding it excessively indulgent.

Top Bottom