• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Mugi Mugi <3

This is where I'd post a gif from Manyuu, but I like being able to post here.

Posting here is nice so here's some Mio.

wgLNr.jpg

Uraizen

Banned
To Love-Ru is a harem show that's actually good.
Queen's Blade, Qwaser of Stigmata and Manyuu Hikenchou are action shows with copious amounts of naked tits.
Oda Nobuna is also a harem show, but it's set in a gender swapped Sengoku period.
Joshiraku is a comedy about 5 girls talking about stuff. Often with confusing Japanese puns.
Rinne no Lagrange is kinda like Evangelion, but more lighthearted and moe, if that's possible.
And the just mentioned Upotte!! is a show about moe guns.

Thanks for the descriptions, some of those actually sound pretty interesting. Might be worth checking out To Love-Ru and Oda Nobuna, at least.

Yep, i also saw a version with different angles, the one posted here and one from the back where you can see the Mugi's mansion/hotel/resort and the other girls.

And Mio's ass
I like pictures like that. Ones that just depict things that are off panel in official works. Exactly like what you just posted.
Thanks for the descriptions, some of those actually sound pretty interesting. Might be worth checking out To Love-Ru and Oda Nobuna, at least.

To Love-Ru is kinda hard to explain beyond what I wrote. It's a show where anything goes and you just never know what to expect, well, besides fan service.
Oda Nobuna while being a harem show, it also has some pretty decent battles and better animation than you'd think. Quite a few lolis though, and the show is still airing so it's not done yet.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I like pictures like that. Ones that just depict things that are off panel in official works. Exactly like what you just posted.

To Love-Ru is kinda hard to explain beyond what I wrote. It's a show where anything goes and you just never know what to expect, well, besides fan service.
Oda Nobuna while being a harem show, it also has some pretty decent battles and better animation than you'd think. Quite a few lolis though, and the show is still airing so it's not done yet.

I would say To Love-Ru is pretty much a comedy-harem-ecchi type thing. It's pretty watchable, the specials/ova have more fan service though. Darkness has more fan service as well, way more, especially in the manga, but from watching the OVA, there is hope that it will stay true to the manga!

Basically, TLR was about some girl coming from space and wanting to marry the "hero", who already secretly loves a girl that goes to the same school. Throw in some dumb side kick male that is in the same class, and lots lots of cute girls. Darkness is about that girl's sister ( well one of them ) wish to make an harem so they can all have sex together happily. At least that's what i got from checking the manga quickly.

Add in some random stuff that happens that is usually funny and you have it.

I think Golden Darkness has more of a presence in TLRD, hence the name. Of course, I haven't read the manga either.

The series goes
To Love-Ru -> To Love-Ru OVAs -> Motto To Love-Ru -> To Love-Ru Darkness.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I think Golden Darkness has more of a presence in TLRD, hence the name. Of course, I haven't read the manga either.

The series goes
To Love-Ru -> To Love-Ru OVAs -> Motto To Love-Ru -> To Love-Ru Darkness.

Yeah, To Love-Ru, the OVAs and Motto To Love-Ru covers the whole manga. It's pretty much a carbon copy of it.

Darkness manga releases just started last year. There's only like 5 volumes so far.

Let me guess your favorite character from To Love-Ru.... The nurse ? Mikado if i remember. She is right up your alley.

Uraizen

Banned

To Love-Ru sounds more like my type of show. I'm not into the loli thing, though, how much of it is in Oda Nobuna?

I would say To Love-Ru is pretty much a comedy-harem-ecchi type thing. It's pretty watchable, the specials/ova have more fan service though. Darkness has more fan service as well, way more, especially in the manga, but from watching the OVA, there is hope that it will stay true to the manga!

Basically, TLR was about some girl coming from space and wanting to marry the "hero", who already secretly loves a girl that goes to the same school. Throw in some dumb side kick male that is in the same class, and lots lots of cute girls. Darkness is about that girl's sister ( well one of them ) wish to make an harem so they can all have sex together happily. At least that's what i got from checking the manga quickly.

Add in some random stuff that happens that is usually funny and you have it.

Sounds great to me, I love comedy type anime! The fact it's a harem makes it a bit more appealing as well.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
To Love-Ru sounds more like my type of show. I'm not into the loli thing, though, how much of it is in Oda Nobuna?

Sounds great to me, I love comedy type anime! The fact it's a harem makes it a bit more appealing as well.

Eh about that. Depends what you mean about "the loli thing". Because for GAF, anything that is not 30 year old married wifes is loli to them.

But To Love-Ru doesn't really have lolis, except maybe the main dude's sister who is like 11 or 12 i forgot, if you consider that loli or not.

If you are looking for animes to watch, i posted a list of what i liked recently (or not so recently for some).

Romance, cute, comedy, thriller, etc... Without much blatant fan service for most of them.

- Toradora
- Kannagi
- Hanasaku Iroha
- Kimi ni Todoke
- Saki ( both seasons )
- Acchi Kocchi
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume ( both seasons )
- Another
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
- Mitsudomoe ( both seasons )
- Ano Natsu de Matteru
- Hourou Musuko
- Aoi Hana

Uraizen

Banned
Eh about that. Depends what you mean about "the loli thing". Because for GAF, anything that is not 30 year old married wifes is loli to them.

Aren't lolis usually younger than 14 or so? Is there an unofficial definition for it that I'm unaware of?

If you are looking for animes to watch, i posted a list of what i liked recently (or not so recently for some).

I haven't heard of a single one of these. Perfect! Thanks for the list.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Aren't lolis usually younger than 14 or so? Is there an unofficial definition for it that I'm unaware of?

I haven't heard of a single one of these. Perfect! Thanks for the list.

If you only watch one. Watch Toradora. Really.

As for lolis, people usually refers to girls under a certain age ( usually under 10 year olds ) as lolis. But then for some people under 14 is "loli". If you want to be technical, you should check up what lolicon means and what they are into. Globally i would say, it's about underage girls in general.

And then you can go on about how certain characters who are 18+, look like little girls. Are they lolis ? They look like lolis, but they may be 30 year old, 1000000 year old demons. Go ask animeGAF about what constitute a loli if you are feeling adventurous!

It's like Moe, people just use Moe for everything anime related now.

Uraizen

Banned
If you only watch one. Watch Toradora. Really.

Yessir.

As for lolis, people usually refers to girls under a certain age ( the most common one being 10 year olds from what i have seen ) as lolis. But then for some people under 14 is "loli". If you want to be technical, you should check up what lolicon means and what they are into.

It's like Moe, people just use Moe for everything anime related now. Without even knowing what it means.

Erotic depictions of childlike characteristics... I see... but what would be considered childlike? Is it all a subjective view of the character to begin with? I don't know, I always went with the "only if they're under 14" thing or look too young.

I just assume that Moe is a synonym for cute whenever I hear it.

Kazzy

So what's everyone doing ? Personally, I am enjoying reading the meltdowns in the Bayonetta 2 thread.

I haven't felt this overwhelmed in a long while. It's just a case of me trying to contend with the onslaught on new information I've been bombarded with, and somehow turning that into a lesson-plan that I can deliver. So come Tuesday, I'll either be in high-spirits, or just a little bit dejected. But enough about me feeling sorry about myself.

I'm really glad there is even a Bayonetta 2 at all, although I've never considered buying a Wii-U at any point. I go where the games go, but Nintendo have never particularly done it for me. I would also like to avoid another generation of owning every console. But yeah, Bayonetta 2!

Which reminds me, I never did finish off getting the full 1000 out of the original, it's been hovering at 900 for a long while.

So, uh... what do other anime do you guys watch? I watched this one called K-On, but I don't think you guys would have heard of it. I also recently watched this other one called Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai; it's a bit on the weird side at times, but I liked it.

And just for the heck of it, what types of games do you usually play? I play mainly fighters and action games, they're usually genres that don't let me down. The genres I don't like are
any of the RPG-type variety.
There are exceptions to this, but it's very rare and hardly worth mentioning.

Just a couple of shows, I'm typically quite bad at staying relevant with the current Anime schedule, though. Here's what I've been watching:

YuriYuri

Despite appearances, it's not as it intially appears, which is a good thing. Lighthearted comedy, some wacky and creative stuff to be found here.

My review of the first season.

Tari Tari

It's been called the Japanese Glee, minus the bullshit, which is somewhat fitting.

Hyouka

My current favourite show, it's fairly unassuming to begin with, deliberately paced around the premise of mysteries. Though, if you scratch the surface, its the characters that really elevate it, and the glorious animation, obviously. So in summary, its a slice of life show, with some nuanced character work, recommended.

I posted my thoughts last week, after watching the entire thing, up the current episodes.

It pretty much is was, but like most things on the internet, it has picked up some baggage and negative connotations along the way.

Somewhat related,and its always worth posting.

cjkeats

So, uh... what do other anime do you guys watch? I watched this one called K-On, but I don't think you guys would have heard of it. I also recently watched this other one called Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai; it's a bit on the weird side at times, but I liked it.

I watched that this week. I enjoyed it. I found it cause it was on the "similar" list to Oreimo, which if you can tell by my avatar, I quite enjoyed. In episode 11 of Boku you see the cast from Oreimo in a crowd shot.

I haven't watched anime in a long time, been strictly video games but after Persona 4 got animated, I figured it was time to watch Evangelion again, and well it kinda snowballed. K-on! got me hooked on the lighter, no giant robots shows. Am I the only one here who like Yui?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I haven't felt this overwhelmed in a long while. It's just a case of me trying to contend with the onslaught on new information I've been bombarded with, and somehow turning that into a lesson-plan that I can deliver. So come Tuesday, I'll either be in high-spirits, or just a little bit dejected. But enough about me feeling sorry about myself.

iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

I watched that this week. I enjoyed it. I found it cause it was on the "similar" list to Oreimo, which if you can tell by my avatar, I quite enjoyed. In episode 11 of Boku you see the cast from Oreimo in a crowd shot.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai was decent, i enjoyed most of the cast and the interaction between them, but i was expecting a little more after he discovered the truth. You know what i mean. Don't know how it's handled in the light novel though.

Am I the only one here who like Yui?

No you are not the only one. Although, i am probably the only one who likes Yui singing!

As for Oreimo, i greatly enjoyed it. Kuroneko hnnnnngggg.

cjkeats

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai was decent, i enjoyed most of the cast and the interaction between them, but i was expecting a little more after he discovered the truth. You know what i mean. Don't know how it's handled in the light novel though.

I imagine it was handled that way so they could keep it going for several more novels/seasons. I've skimmed summaries of the later novels and some crazy stuff happens.

No you are not the only one. Although, i am probably the only one who likes Yui singing!

Fuwa Fuwa Time sang by Yui is my favorite song in the whole series.

Let me guess your favorite character from To Love-Ru.... The nurse ? Mikado if i remember. She is right up your alley.
I like her, but she doesn't show up all that often. Besides her, it's Yui who's next on my list.
kL4wal.jpg

Hanbei, Goemon and a few others are lolis, but the one thing I like about the show is that they're mostly there to troll the main character who is not a lolicon. But the show is not without loli pandering.
Ritsu+Mio <3
j94iu.gif

Erotic depictions of childlike characteristics... I see... but what would be considered childlike? Is it all a subjective view of the character to begin with? I don't know, I always went with the "only if they're under 14" thing or look too young.

Being short, big head, underdeveloped body (Boobs, hips, etc.), young sounding voice, those are a few things that could define a loli. The closest thing K-ON! has to a loli would be Azusa, but I wouldn't really classify her as such.
If you want to know more, look up Ro-Kyu-Bu, or ask an actual lolicon. *coughIzayoicough*

I haven't watched anime in a long time, been strictly video games but after Persona 4 got animated, I figured it was time to watch Evangelion again, and well it kinda snowballed. K-on! got me hooked on the lighter, no giant robots shows.
Well if you want a lighter show with giant robots, check out Rinne no Lagrange.
Am I the only one here who like Yui?
No, I'm pretty sure you will find many who think like you in here.
Poyunch does and I'm sure Esura and Billiechu do too.

As for Oreimo, i greatly enjoyed it. Kuroneko hnnnnngggg.
You don't like Manami?
XD5HM.jpg

Uraizen

Banned

I haven't watched anime in a long time, been strictly video games but after Persona 4 got animated, I figured it was time to watch Evangelion again, and well it kinda snowballed. K-on! got me hooked on the lighter, no giant robots shows. Am I the only one here who like Yui?

Oh yeah, I also watched Oreimo, that show was pretty damned good. I laughed when I saw their cameo in Boku.

That's what the second season is for. ^_^ I was disappointed it ended the way it did for the first, but as long as we're getting a second it's all good.

The hell you are, I like it, too!

Being short, big head, underdeveloped body (Boobs, hips, etc.), young sounding voice, those are a few things that could define a loli. The closest thing K-ON! has to a loli would be Azusa, but I wouldn't really classify her as such.
If you want to know more, look up Ro-Kyu-Bu, or ask an actual lolicon. *coughIzayoicough*

Azusa is just cute, I wouldn't classify her as one either, but she's pretty damned close. Also, DAMN! Talk about putting someone on blast, I love it.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I like her, but she doesn't show up all that often. Besides her, it's Yui who's next on my list.

Kotegawa is a fine choice. Reminds me of Mio

For me, i would probably pick Nana.
y5HFR.jpg

Poyunch does and I'm sure Esura and Billiechu do too.

I like them.

You don't like Manami?
XD5HM.jpg

If you read the oreimo thread that we had when it aired, ( yes yes GAF had a thread about it), i was actually on team Manami, but it was obvious it was going nowhere, and i started to like Kuroneko more and more!

If you read the oreimo thread that we had when it aired, ( yes yes GAF had a thread about it), i was actually on team Manami, but it was obvious it was going nowhere, and i started to like Kuroneko more and more!

Et tu, Kandrick?
But man, most of the girls in Oreimo are jerks, including Kuroneko.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Et tu, Kandrick?
But man, most of the girls in Oreimo are jerks, including Kuroneko.

Yeah, the yandere was the worst, Ayase i think her name is hmm. Kirino was pretty bad too. Kuroneko was the least offending one. And i liked her style, not only clothing wise, but her attitude towards the main character and Kirino, she was pretty straight forward and bold.

I liked Manami, because she was the only one not going crazy about stuff, really shy and cute.

WYkmb.gif

Which is weird, because i really like tsunderes usually, but Kirino is way above that, she is more of a real jerk like you say.

It's to bad that I can't read moonspeak because I'd like to check out the VN just to see how crazy it gets in like Kirino's or Ayase's route.

Anyways, to be more on topic, I really like Satomi Sat&#333;'s voice for Manami. Ritsu kinda goes into that voice when she's trying to pretend she's someone else to promote the club in episode 25.
ANpt9.png

Madao

hmm, the kind of anime i've watched is kinda all over the place. the majority of it is long-running shonen like the usual suspects such as Naruto and Bleach for several years and more recently adding to the mix One Piece like 2 years ago and Gintama last year.

there's also old ones i watched as a kid such as Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball and DBZ, Saint Seiya and some obscure ones as GS Mikami. i've rewatched these a few times due to their age and getting them in digital form. i also watched Inuyasha but that was by the time i got into Naruto.
i don't know where Pokemon fits but i've been watching that thing since like 1999 and have jumped from several formats going from TV -> cable -> JP version on computer. also, i've never rewatched it (i don't think i could stand the old seasons these days)

i also have seen my fair share of shorter anime.
animes watched because a friend of mine asked me to get them for her and curiosity did the rest: To Love Ru (later i read the manga because MangaGaf wouldn't stop talking about it), Mai Hime/Otome, Kimi ni Todoke, Death Note.
animes watched thanks to GAF: K-On, Dennou Coil, Evangelion, Trigun, The World God Only Knows, Medaka Box.
animes i watched just for the lulz: Naruto SD, Golgo 13.

i also have a big backlog like any regular Gaffer. here's part of it: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, TTGL, a few movies, Sket Dance.

i probably forgot something on the way but that's about it.

Kazzy

I guess I finally got productive. And forgive me talking about plot details so earnestly, I genuinely don't know what happens!

K-ON!! Episode 1

QlGLz.jpg

The more things change...

Good opening episode, and it contained quite a few of those idle moments that KyoAni seem to do so well. Yui featured heavily in this regard, both in the opening scene, with her practising alone in the music room, as well as the shots of her stopping to gather the cherry blossoms. There was a nice sense of melancholy throughout the episode, with there being notice given to the fleetingness of their time spent together. The end of the first season gave a little indication that the show can get serious when it wants to, and it seems like that carries over here.

K-ON! has always been a ridiculously pretty show to look at, but I'm noticing an animation bump between the seasons, which they seem all too aware of, highlighting this very fact with the flashback scene to the original freshman concert.

For as big a franchise as this is, its remarkably breezy in terms of its pacing. It's crazy to think that the original line-up is already in their third and final high-school year, where it could have been so tempting to otherwise drag the series on.

ErDkh.jpg

I just thought this was a nice shot.

By all accounts, this is the superior of the two seasons, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they play around with the greater freedom here.

Also I may have missed it, but this may have been the only episode (based in the school) that there wasn't a transition shot showing the school statue.

I'm not sold on the new OP/ED'S yet.

K-ON!! Episode 2

HT4co.jpg

Dat guitar

This episode decided to give a brief history on guitars. Considering the character design, I always find it striking just how much detail is lavished upon the actual instruments. It was also notable in that Sawako didn't act like a complete crazy person for once, maybe even acting her age. The middle of the episode played like an after-school special, with the group trying to decide how to use their windfall from an antique guitar. Remember kids, honesty is the best policy!

Again, the devil is in the details, and the mundane setting of a hardware store was made to look visually eye-cathing.There was even a moe turtle thrown into the mix.Most of the first season felt pretty loose in terms of an overarching narrative, but there looks to already be something going on here, particuarly in the case of Azusa.

Top Bottom