• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Kazzy

man, i should pick up again my old dream of going to japan. i gave up like 10 years ago due to money but now i'd like to go there just to see it in person (the difference with my country is way too big)

Do it! It's what I'm about to do (well, moving there). Most things seem really inconsequential once you have a target in sight, its great to have that drive.

Emitan

Lived all my life in suburbs so I love traveling to foreign cities. It's mindblowing how alien they are to me. It's really fun!

I've been to London, Dublin, and Paris so far.

Metrotab

Banned
Visited London, Barcelona, Paris, Berlin, Cologne, Amsterdam, Venice, Florence and Rome. As a Belgian I pretty much live in the middle of all that stuff.

Never went beyond Europe though, which is something I wanna do.

Uraizen

Banned
I've lived in several places in the US ranging from CA to FL. I've visited Germany and it was nice. I have zero desire to travel anymore.

Damaged

man, i should pick up again my old dream of going to japan. i gave up like 10 years ago due to money but now i'd like to go there just to see it in person (the difference with my country is way too big)

Do it, been there twice now and loved every minute of it, awesome place, amazing people, fantastic food. Cant fault the place, If you do go i can recommend a great cheap hotel in tokyo thats just one stop away from Akihabara :)

Do it! It's what I'm about to do (well, moving there). Most things seem really inconsequential once you have a target in sight, its great to have that drive.

Thats awesome, where are you moving to? what sort of work will you do? sorry for the questions but life is in a bit of a rut right now and it may be the change i need.

Kazzy

I don't know what to really say to this; I just don't want to travel anymore?

Ha! Fair enough. It's just that I always considered myself very laid-back when it comes to travel, in so much that, until recently, I never really entertained the thought. Everyone else I know has always seemed to harbor the urge to travel abroad, and bar my holidays, I never considered a permanent move until fairly recently.

So apologies if I seemed short with you, I was just surprised how similar it all sounded!

I'd like to visit Japan for the temples and gardens. No tourist traps preferably, but more obscure and genuine stuff.

This is what I'm planning on doing once I'm qualified from the course I'm on. I'm going into the merchant navy, so the contracts I'll be on look as though I'll end up with a good few months a year of precious holiday time. I'm thinking about staying over there for about 2/3 months and just travelling around. If I like it enough, I'd consider buying a house over there or something, cause my job will involve travelling to other countries, so it probably wont matter where I call home.

Kazzy

Thats awesome, where are you moving to? what sort of work will you do? sorry for the questions but life is in a bit of a rut right now and it may be the change i need.

I will be teaching (specifically English), and am currently in the process of finishing up some stuff here. I recently finished my University degree last term (English Literature), and decided that whilst I had no real ties, I should reach as far and high as I can. Japan fits into that equation perfectly, and everything else just sort of fit into place from there. In the process of doing so, I have met someone who has already fulfilled these ambitions (same field too, and hometown!), so it was a nice vindication of the path I'm going down.

Uraizen

Banned
Ha! Fair enough. It's just that I always considered myself very laid-back when it comes to travel, in so much that, until recently, I never really entertained the thought. Everyone else I know has always seemed to harbor the urge to travel abroad, and bar my holidays, I never considered a permanent move until fairly recently.

So apologies if I seemed short with you, I was just surprised how similar it all sounded!

You could have called me an idiot for the way I felt and I still wouldn't take offense to it, so no worries. I just wasn't sure how to answer something that I didn't understand myself. Only thing I can think of is that I'm tired of moving around all the time from when I was a fort brat.

I've been to, uh... Canada...
Inside the US though, I've mostly stayed within the Midwest (Chicago, St. Louis, Duluth, etc.) but I have been to Boston and Florida.
I'd like to travel the world some day, but I should probably get some money before I do that.
I have no idea why I find these so amusing.
It sucks that most of the ones I liked have since been taken down. There were some great Animal Crossing MADs that all but like one have vanished from YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qj0T-HD3VY

You're not the only one. Did anyone else notice two dudes almost completely unclothed, with one slapping the other ones ass in one of the picture in picture parts of the second video?
It made me spray lucozade everywhere =\

I was going to say something about that, but I figured I'd leave it a surprise. hehehe

I was going to say something about that, but I figured I'd leave it a surprise. hehehe

And quite the surprise it was! I caught something in the corner of my eye the first time I watched it. Then when I watched it again and was actually paying attention, things got... messy. Such a strange thing to be in such a video :p

Damaged

I will be teaching (specially English), and am currently in the process of finishing up some stuff here. I recently finished my University degree last term (English Literature), and decided that whilst I had no real ties, I should reach as far and high as I can. Japan fits into that equation perfectly, and everything else just sort of fit into place from there. In the process of doing so, I have met someone who has already fulfilled these ambitions (same field too, and hometown!), so it was a nice vindication of the path I'm going down.

That's really cool, Don't have much of an education (misspent youth) so I think that option is out of the window for me. There is a great kindle only book called for fukuis sake about a guy who did it for two years and loved it, bit short but funny and pretty cheap.

Sorry for going ot, back to the moe...

And quite the surprise it was! I caught something in the corner of my eye the first time I watched it. Then when I watched it again and was actually paying attention, things got... messy. Such a strange thing to be in such a video :p

I've seen that clip in quite a few videos like that. I have no idea why either. Japanese meme I guess lol

Kazzy

That's really cool, Don't have much of an education (misspent youth) so I think that option is out of the window for me. There is a great kindle only book called for fukuis sake about a guy who did it for two years and loved it, bit short but funny and pretty cheap.

Ha! No worries, it does fit with the theme of the thread after all...

And in other news, just finished with episode 18. K-ON!! ending in a cliffhanger, wat?!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is there a reason why Super Mario World seems to be more popular than Super Mario Bros. 3 in Japan? Almost all fanwork over there seems to be related to SMW.

Uraizen

Banned

jyZyK.png

Ha! No worries, it does fit with the theme of the thread after all...

And in other news, just finished with episode 18. K-ON!! ending in a cliffhanger, wat?!
That episode and the one afterwards are the best episodes.
Is there a reason why Super Mario World seems to be more popular than Super Mario Bros. 3 in Japan? Almost all fanwork over there seems to be related to SMW.

I guess they prefer the SNES sounds to the NES sounds? I suppose that could explain some of them. Kaizo Mario World maybe? Really I don't know, I guess I've never thought of that.
SMB3 > SMW

cjkeats

I've been to, uh... Canada...

And it was the best right?....right?

My step-dad told me when I finish university I can go on a trip anywhere I want, fully paid for, so of course I've wanted to go to Japan since I was 13.

I'm very afraid of the language barrier. Also, I may never finish school. It's going..let's say "poorly" and leave it at that.

And of course SMW is better than all the other Marios.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Super Mario 64 > Super Mario World > Super Mario Bros > Super Mario Bros 3 > Super Mario Bros 2 (west version).

It's too early for me to rate galaxy games, and while i liked Sunshine as a game, it was not a great Mario game.

Super Mario 64 is still the best. It's still a joy to watch someone speedrun it or just play it myself.

cjkeats

Arguing over the best Mario game is the kind of fight that ruins marriages and causes broken homes.
Let's not so this you guys and have tea and cake instead.

cjkeats

Guys come on. Please don't fight.
[insert gif/pic of two of the girls fighting and one of them in the middle all teary eyed trying to stop them. I think it exists(when mio and ritsu got into that first in season one I think?) but I'm too drunk to search for it.]

Get your nostalgia goggles off. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is better than both SMB3 and SMW.
I think I could agree with you there, but we all know what the best Mario game is here.
Guys come on. Please don't fight.
[insert gif/pic of two of the girls fighting and one of them in the middle all teary eyed trying to stop them. I think it exists(when mio and ritsu got into that first in season one I think?) but I'm too drunk to search for it.]
3EO1l.gif

SMW is such a pushover of a game lol. It's Mario for babbiez.
image.php

Kazzy

Uh-oh, a wild K-ON! appears! And for those who actually read both threads, I amended the episode 18 write-up, mainly because I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to make a point properly.

K-ON!! Episode 17

m10NM.jpg

The inner-workings of a crazy person!

One of the burning questions is finally raised, why does Mio continue to write the bands lyrics, when she's clearly terrible at it? So everyone has else tries their hand at it, with wildly vary results, Yui goes food-crazy, Mugi goes Mugi, Ritsu presumably doesn't even bother, whilst Azusa goes all tsundere ...for a turtle. Mio also tries to remain relevant, with the expected outcome.

The latter half of the episode was centered around the club-room being snatched away from them, which was nice in that it showed us parts of the school we haven't seen before, painting it in an entirely different light to how I viewed it previously. Everything is usually so encapsulated around the static nature of the band, that I'd always pictured Sakura High as a completely idyllic (not to mention, quiet school), so there was something of a dissonance in seeing it suddenly bustling with activity.

5xjkp.jpg

Ui is kind of weird!

Yui's savant mode kicks in once more, as she manages to write a genuine song about Ui, which was probably triggered more by her inability to cook properly more than anything!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! Episode 18

So, the K-ON!! experience has become meta now? Well, it at least seems that way, with the entire class deciding to ship Ritsu x Mio in an entirely unsubtle way. I mean, it's all far too convenient to be anything other than a calculated plan, right? Even Mugi is extremely accommodating to this end.

Naturally, upon hearing the news of her starring role, Mio gives a perfectly reasonable reaction, but everyone has reached the point where they are willing to call her up on her behavior. Although, Ritsu doesn't exactly react well to their predicament either. They should be more like Tree G!

I seem to remember complaining that Mio plays like too much of a caricature at times (or at least comes close to skirting that line towards the beginning of the run), sure, people have their anxiety and confidence issues, but it was often taken to extreme end of the spectrum with her, and it became a little jarring to me. Like I said in an earlier write-up, I appreciated that they addressed the issue, and it here, it suddenly felt as though she was (initially) being allowed to slip back into tendencies unchecked. Having watched it all, it's now clearer that it was all to act as the catalyst, and I presume to kick her the last big-push she needs. Her introverted nature is usually shown through her fears and anxieties (which are somewhat irrational, but most people have those ), but her extreme reaction to the play itself just struck me as raising a huge disparity to what would be acceptable in a normal context. However, this wasn't left unattended, so I feel safe in retracting the previous generalization.

After all, we are shown the emotional toll it also takes on Ritsu, someone who is the opposite to Mio, and usually acts as a pillar of confidence (at least outwardly). I think the Mio that we saw at the beginning of Yui's induction to the Light-music club (in season 1), would never have pushed herself in the same way that her current-self would. I think her refusal to quit (when given a shining chance by Nodoka), certainly exemplified this.

I'm glad that this episode took a turn where it did. Like I've said before, becoming slavish to your formula (that works, and works well) would be all too easy for this show, but if you were run down the episodes that became about specific members of the club, it's usually with a mind to address certain quirks they have. This is a group that actually undergoes significant change through the course of the two seasons, something I assume continues for the remainder of these episodes. It's done with care, not to mention respect for the characters, because its never feels artificial/contrived.

And with all that, the band undergo a training-arc, some practice to fix Mio's confidence problem.

And it ends on a cliff-hanger?! I don't know what to believe anymore...

Summary:
KMyrN.gif

Top Bottom