• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
heh and i thought i had the old man card in the bag (28 here). in the gaming speedrunning circles i frequent, i'm among the oldest people though.
the shows i like have barely changed over the decades. i still like what i liked in the 90s. i just add new things to my list.

We're the same age! Old guys unite!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Just found some old cosplay photos of my ex cosplaying as Mio.

Maybe if she had chosen Mugi I would have regretted the breakup.

Esura

Banned
It's only a crutch if you make it into one. I'm a fun drunk, so I just do stupid things when I'm drunk. I drink so rarely, though, that it's probably not even worth mentioning. It's just something that you might want to do every once in a while.

B8Qz8.jpg

Ah... right... K-On thread. ^_^

I like how they seem to be looking at us like, "WTF yaw being offtopic for!?' :D

I'm 18, so younger here.

Yes. This is good. Hate being the youngest of the group. :p

I figured you to be older though Billie from your posts.

Emitan

I like how they seem to be looking at us like, "WTF yaw being offtopic for!?' :D

Yes. This is good. Hate being the youngest of the group. :p

I figured you to be older though Billie from your posts.

Really? Most people think I'm young because I'm so immature.

You know I'll hook you guys up when I can. =D

Happy Birthday!

T7pvX.gif

Have some cake.

Since we're all saying our ages, 24 here.

A belated thanks :). You all make me feel young at heart despite being even older now. At the Otakon music fest for my birthday...JAM Project is the headliner. Should be fun :).

Madao

i know a girl irl that would be a pretty good Ritsu if she cosplayed and another friend that is a lot like Yui.

also, the closest i know that is like Sawako is my mom when she was young. man, she was wild. driving cars at age 13...

Kazzy

That... looks... AWESOME! I need to play this.
The King's Game, silly.
I would make people do unspeakable things.

Don't take the name of Persona in vein! Seriously though, the main cast has an excellent group dynamic, which is reminiscent of K-ON! In so much that they manage to defy established genre conventions, because at the offset they all appear to adhere to a specific anime archetype. It's the main reason I prefer it over 3, which although it has some great characters too, they largely feel like a group of individuals.

These are games that fully exploit the advantages of the medium, chief among them being the interactivity, and the time to really characterize everyone.

But my weekly Persona sell is over! Onto the K-ON!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! - Episode 26

LBLUR.jpg

It's a genuine mystery as to why Azusa stuck around long enough to see that they all were all (relatively) normal people! They were so damn trolly during the this opening.

If episode 24 was the ending of the story proper, then this episode felt like it was the show itself bidding farewell. Again, I appreciate that a conclusion to something doesn't having to rely on a needlessly showy or dramatic spectacle to get by, it's just not the K-ON! way.

Not that Azusa didn't already have it hard enough, everyone now takes a great pleasure in making her needlessly cry! Sawako is sick, so Yui sees this as an opportunity to correct a certain unfortunate photo, whilst Mugi has entirely different intentions. Meanwhile, Azusa is cagey about her plans, but rest assured, they don't involve the light music club, or do they? Foreshadowing, people!

All this talk of yearbooks and talk of a younger Sawako, I was expecting a mention of her cameo in the Persona games.

The theme of the episode was transition, and no better was this encapsulated, than in the symbolic passing of the torch between all incarnations of the light music club. First there was original Ghostbusters the past, the present (don't know who they are), and then finally, the future. And finally, being played out by an acoustic rendition of one of your songs( by your successors, no less), whilst ceremoniously running down the halls of the school for the final time, is pretty much as definitive an ending as you're likely to see. Good? Great.

Random notes:

• Having already seen this art, it was cool to see that it was actually part of the show.
  • I thought it was about to get all Hyouka at this point (something so unassuming, suddenly having the most vital of importance). Guess not. But the came the realization that it was a joke that has ran all the way from one of opening episodes, and is the sort of continuity I adore.
  • Mio saying the "B" word?!
  • Awesome.
  • More awesome.
  • I liked the little scene of Yui walking off after the credits, I missed it the first time around. A nice bookend, in an episode already full of them.
  • I take far too many screenshots.

Kazzy

I open every single screenshot in your summaries.

And the "Moe Police" remains one of the best stills in the entire show.

Aw, thanks! This episode had an abundance of cool little touches, I had to find a way to fit them all in.

*I bow at the altar*

Right click > save as.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-ON!! - Episode 27

If there is one thing about coming to this party late, it's that I have all this extra content to watch. These extra episodes have honestly felt like a K-ON! support-group, because they have gradually gotten more carefree and laid-back, and after the series finale, it's the sort of TLC that I appreciate need. The first taste is free, KyoAni, the first taste is free...

It's clear to see that this is a lead-in for the film, and what a cherry on top of the cake it is (pun, so very much intended!). We are brought back to a more peaceful time, one free from tears, and graduation, as the group decide to plan for a trip. So everyone has an opinion on where to go, America, Hawaii, England, and Finland (which would have been interesting, not just because of the Mugi-ness of it, but because you never see it depicted in anime). But lets not tip-toe around the obvious, we all know where this leads, and I for one can't wait to watch their adventures in New York!

wT7b3.jpg

You're not a Mugi, you're a Mio, silly!

And Why does Yui always want to replace the best photos? Mio also has to hastily take a new photo, but that's more because she just ends up looking stupid. The results are to be expected.

These final two episodes have done a good job of bringing the entire ensemble (pun) back together, and has pretty much played like a greatest hits collection (again, pun, pun, puns!). As I've done previously, I now defer back to Yui (and a past Mugi) for this summary, truly philosophers of our times. I thought Mugi's reaction to this moment was so sweet. It took everyone by surprise, but her especially.

Random notes:

Uraizen

Banned
Don't take the name of Persona in vein! Seriously though, the main cast has an excellent group dynamic, which is reminiscent of K-ON! In so much that they manage to defy established genre conventions, because at the offset they all appear to adhere to a specific anime archetype. It's the main reason I prefer it over 3, which although it has some great characters too, they largely feel like a group of individuals.

Very rarely will I even listen to the story in a game because they all suck, but there must be a reason that so many people love this game in particular. You are the one reason I would even consider touching this game so far, despite the fact I'd have to put up with turn-based battles. Stop making convincing arguments this instant.

K-ON!! - Episode 27

So that was the photo bombing episode! I've been wondering which one that was and now I can re-watch it. Now go watch the movie.

W-what? Why would I w-want to hang with you?! I-it's not as if I l-like you guys or anything!

...Baka.

I would be very grateful if you'd play The King's Game with us.

Very rarely will I even listen to the story in a game because they all suck, but there must be a reason that so many people love this game in particular. You are the one reason I would even consider touching this game so far, despite the fact I'd have to put up with turn-based battles. Stop making convincing arguments this instant.

You absolutely should give it a shot...one of my favorite RPG's of the last few years. Looking forward to revisiting it on the Vita.

Uraizen

Banned
There's a twist though. I'm the one who gets to be Yu.

So I can't make out with you?

You absolutely should give it a shot...one of my favorite RPG's of the last few years. Looking forward to revisiting it on the Vita.

I will at least give it a shot after all these glowing reviews from you guys. It's just the last time I did something like this was Final Fantasy VII and I was beyond disappointed. Needless to say, its been a while since I've tried an RPG based on hype alone.

cjkeats

No joke, I failed 3 university exams because I got hooked on Persona 3&4 during exam week. Played them back to back. I haven't finished a game that took more than 2 hours to finish in years. Amazing games.

I had no idea those blu ray covers were from actual episodes. How I missed that when I watched them I'll never know.

Just found some old cosplay photos of my ex cosplaying as Mio.

Maybe if she had chosen Mugi I would have regretted the breakup.
Was she accurate?
Drunk Ero Chet? Tell us all about your adventures when you get back.
I'm sure you could come up with a much better story.
K-ON!! - Episode 26

If episode 24 was the ending of the story proper, then this episode felt like it was the show itself bidding farewell. Again, I appreciate that a conclusion to something doesn't having to rely on a needlessly showy or dramatic spectacle to get by, it's just not the K-ON! way.

Not that Azusa didn't already have it hard enough, everyone now takes a great pleasure in making her needlessly cry! Sawako is sick, so Yui sees this as an opportunity to correct a certain unfortunate photo, whilst Mugi has entirely different intentions. Meanwhile, Azusa is cagey about her plans, but rest assured, they don't involve the light music club, or do they? Foreshadowing, people!

All this talk of yearbooks and talk of a younger Sawako, I was expecting a mention of her cameo in the Persona games.

The theme of the episode was transition, and no better was this encapsulated, than in the symbolic passing of the torch between all incarnations of the light music club. First there was original Ghostbusters the past, the present (don't know who they are), and then finally, the future. And finally, being played out by an acoustic rendition of one of your songs( by your successors, no less), whilst ceremoniously running down the halls of the school for the final time, is pretty much as definitive an ending as you're likely to see. Good? Great.

Random notes:

• Having already seen this art, it was cool to see that it was actually part of the show.
  • I thought it was about to get all Hyouka at this point (something so unassuming, suddenly having the most vital of importance). Guess not. But the came the realization that it was a joke that has ran all the way from one of opening episodes, and is the sort of continuity I adore.
  • Mio saying the "B" word?!
  • Awesome.
  • More awesome.
  • I liked the little scene of Yui walking off after the credits, I missed it the first time around. A nice bookend, in an episode already full of them.
  • I take far too many screenshots.
I think this episode was a great ending to K-ON!! even more so than the actual graduation episode. Maybe because the episode is less sad than anything.
I love the rendition they play of Fuwa Fuwa Time they do at the end. They really should have had Ui play the organ in the manga.
K-ON!! - Episode 27

If there is one thing about coming to this party late, it's that I have all this extra content to watch. These extra episodes have honestly felt like a K-ON! support-group, because they have gradually gotten more carefree and laid-back, and after the series finale, it's the sort of TLC that I appreciate need. The first taste is free, KyoAni, the first taste is free...

It's clear to see that this is a lead-in for the film, and what a cherry on top of the cake it is (pun, so very much intended!). We are brought back to a more peaceful time, one free from tears, and graduation, as the group decide to plan for a trip. So everyone has an opinion on where to go, America, Hawaii, England, and Finland (which would have been interesting, not just because of the Mugi-ness of it, but because you never see it depicted in anime). But lets not tip-toe around the obvious, we all know where this leads, and I for one can't wait to watch their adventures in New York!

And Why does Yui always want to replace the best photos? Mio also has to hastily take a new photo, but that's more because she just ends up looking stupid. The results are to be expected.

These final two episodes have done a good job of bringing the entire ensemble (pun) back together, and has pretty much played like a greatest hits collection (again, pun, pun, puns!). As I've done previously, I now defer back to Yui (and a past Mugi) for this summary, truly philosophers of our times. I thought Mugi's reaction to this moment was so sweet. It took everyone by surprise, but her especially.

Random notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okdk72I6U4U
Love this episode.
And there is like a 4 inch difference in height between Mio and Azusa
Mio is 160cm tall and Azusa is 150cm tall.
That episode was referencing/"explaining" a bunch of past Blu-ray covers.
Yeah, I love that kind of fanservice.

I'm interested in getting the soundtrack CD for the anime, but I'm confused as to what to buy because it sounds like a couple tracks from the first anime are reused in the second season, but that would lead me to believe that they're also in the second anime's soundtrack CD. The next confusion point is that the second season had two soundtrack CDs and does that mean I have to buy a total of three soundtrack CDs for all the BGMs?

Ahhh confusing. A GIF of Ritsu going nuts over the prospect of playing keyboard or guitar would be great here.

Edit: And because I feel slightly responsible for the topic of Persona 4 being in this thread due to the mention of that fanfic idea (Persona 4: The K-ON!, I'd call it), lemme put down my two cents on the game: I've always loved the Shin Megami Tensei, and by extension Persona, JRPGs because they married the compelling world views and characters that we seemed to be used to in JRPGs now but also remembered that they didn't have to throw out the combat system. It's either the Press Turn system or the ONE MORE system depending on what you play, both of them reward you for being an active participant and not just mashing X to attack or selecting the strongest spell off the bat. No matter how strong you are, there's SOMETHING in the game somewhere waiting for you to blink or yawn at the worst possible moment and you're greeted with the Game Over screen. Know your elements, know the enemies' elements, be wary of status effects, buff and debuff your allies and enemies. This is why SMT still holds a place in my heart while FFVII and those just sit in that Pavlovian nostalgia node in my brain.

Uraizen

Banned
I'm interested in getting the soundtrack CD for the anime, but I'm confused as to what to buy because it sounds like a couple tracks from the first anime are reused in the second season, but that would lead me to believe that they're also in the second anime's soundtrack CD. The next confusion point is that the second season had two soundtrack CDs and does that mean I have to buy a total of three soundtrack CDs for all the BGMs?

Ahhh confusing.

nbs2g.gif

Fixed?

Ahhh confusing. A GIF of Ritsu going nuts over the prospect of playing keyboard or guitar would be great here.
The songs in the first season's OST are different than the ones in the second season's 2 OSTs.

yZ35D.gif

Top Bottom