• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

You can usually get a good feel for who you can trust, people don't generally lie when it comes to customer service. Oh well, lesson learnt.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I have read plenty of good feedback in the past (at least back around '05~'06) on DDD, so I would certainly doubt anyone would mislead you. It does suck that it turned out the way it did, and I hope you get a good resolution out of it.

And you all tell me this now...
I thought you were getting the second season, not the first one... If you want to own the first season, just go buy the anime legends dvd just to say you have it.
and check out the dub.
I remember reading that towards the end of episode 1 in season 1, the jam between Mio, Ritsu and Mugi that they play for Yui was replaced with some other generic track. Something like this happened again in season 2? Not too sure, just getting this from TVTropes.

Yes it was, but it's mostly because the song they played was a well known Japanese folk song from like the 70s I think. Probably wasn't worth it to get the rights to use the song over here.
They also did a cover of the song where all the girls sing.

I thought you were getting the second season, not the first one... If you want to own the first season, just go buy the anime legends dvd just to say you have it.
and check out the dub.
As an aside, I really liked the package they did for season 1's Anime Legends set, and I kinda wished that they had done one for the Blu-rays as well, but it would have been moot anyways since I already bought the BDs when they announced that they were shutting down. Guess I'll print out some custom layouts to slip into a 4-disc Blu-ray box. If I do that, I'll make sure to post it here too!

Kinda funny coda to my DeepDiscount order: After posting about how my order will probably be damaged beyond repair or stuck in Tituana, I checked the tracking and it said
Out for Delivery
. ':3

Uraizen

Banned
As an aside, I really liked the package they did for season 1's Anime Legends set, and I kinda wished that they had done one for the Blu-rays as well, but it would have been moot anyways since I already bought the BDs when they announced that they were shutting down. Guess I'll print out some custom layouts to slip into a 4-disc Blu-ray box. If I do that, I'll make sure to post it here too!

Ah! So that's what these were!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LIYF76/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have no idea why, but I was under the impression that this was season 2 spread out over four volumes then the collections were a more "compressed" release.

Uraizen

Banned
Sorry again, I'm old and slow :(. And probably in need of caffeine or alcohol. Not sure which though :p.

According to Chet, I'm an old man, so I recommend a healthy dose of caffeine.

Yeah, that was what we were used to, seems like that's the only option we get here in the U.S. nowadays.

Yeah, the norm seems to be to always wait for the inevitable re-release to get the entire collection.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Well, as long as the core product is good it's okay, I guess.

I have yet to hear any of my friends say they've had a positive experience with them. They always manage to screw up somehow, whether it be charging for an item they don't really have or failing to cancel an order you told them to cancel weeks ago. Oh, and when you finally receive that order, they make you pay for shipping back to them despite it being entirely their fault for not canceling it. No, I am not exaggerating on any of this. I'll be even more specific, all of this happened to one of my friends who tried to order a TE from them when they were rare. The rest of the time it's usually bad packaging, slow shipping, being forced to pay shipping for a defective exchange, bad customer service, etc.

I've never heard any complaints about Rightstuf, so they're okay in my book. Deepdiscount is just a nightmare to deal with and not a store I would recommend to anyone.

Yup, agreed. Deepdiscount is terrible. I remember last year that had big anime sale and they kept saying they had the item in stock then you'd get a cancellation e-mail saying it was no longer in stock but when you go back to the product page it still says it is in stock, among the things you already mentioned.

Stay far far away from them. If the deal seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Uraizen

Banned
Having the four volume release was a rather unwelcome reminder of the old days when everything was split up into 4~7 volumes. And I bought so much of it ;_;.

Old days... ? Not a word, Chet.

Yup, agreed. Deepdiscount is terrible. I remember last year that had big anime sale and they kept saying they had the item in stock then you'd get a cancellation e-mail saying it was no longer in stock but when you go back to the product page it still says it is in stock, among the things you already mentioned.

Stay far far away from them. If the deal seems to good to be true, it usually is.

CAGs unite, etc.

According to Chet, I'm an old man, so I recommend a healthy dose of caffeine.

zwmv4.gif

Sadly, I know nothing about the UK anime market. I barely understand my own market.

There really doesn't seem to be much of a market for anime. Or that's how it appears up where I am. There are one or two shops in Newcastle that sell it, and elsewhere seems to be few and far between. Most of what they sell seems to be imports from America too. I have no idea how the licensing works over here.

There really doesn't seem to be much of a market for anime. Or that's how it appears up where I am. There are one or two shops in Newcastle that sell it, and elsewhere seems to be few and far between. Most of what they sell seems to be imports from America too. I have no idea how the licensing works over here.
Well if we're talking actual brick and mortar stores, there really isn't any place that sells anime here. There's like a small section in Best Buy and that's pretty much it, and if it's not Dragon Ball Z or Bleach etc. then good luck in finding it.
But i'm only 31....

...Okay, 32 in December, but still!

Old K-ON GAF unite!! *coughs, throws out back*

ftRQw.gif

Uraizen

Banned
Well if we're talking actual brick and mortar stores, there really isn't any place that sells anime here. There's like a small section in Best Buy and that's pretty much it, and if it's not Dragon Ball Z or Bleach etc. then good luck in finding it.

Seriously? My Best Buy has an entire aisle dedicated to anime and last I looked it contained stuff like K-On and Dokuro-chan.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Anime market here is weird, we have a good variety since we get a lot of stuff from companies from France ( who are big on anime/manga ) that also license for Switzerland. But for K-On! we only have the first season on DVD, for the S2 we only have german version which comes in like 6 separate DVD at crazy prices so it's useless.

Also it really doesn't matter what is available because it's really expensive here , it's almost on japan level pricing for some stuff which is crazy.

cjkeats

Oh, I was going to mention that the song was in the recent Eva movie too. Was it in the actual show? I wouldn't know.

I don't remember it in the show and I only re-watched it the summer, but it was in the second movie over the ending. Quite the song choice for such a ridiculous scene.
It's because of that I recognized it in K-on the first time I watched it.

Seriously? My Best Buy has an entire aisle dedicated to anime and last I looked it contained stuff like K-On and Dokuro-chan.

Well, that is where I picked up my anime legends DVD set of K-ON! from, so it's not completely devoid of other things.
That's for DVDs mind you, the Blurays are all mingled in with everything else.
For manga, at least there's Barnes & Noble which has a very nice selection. Still haven't found the 4th volume of the K-ON! manga though.

cjkeats

My best buy only has Dragonball Z, Fullmetal Alchemist, and a few other scattered things. It's all mixed in with the regular stuff. Nothing I'm looking for, ever.

Uraizen

Banned
Well, that is where I picked up my anime legends DVD set of K-ON! from, so it's not completely devoid of other things.
That's for DVDs mind you, the Blurays are all mingled in with everything else.
For manga, at least there's Barnes & Noble which has a very nice selection. Still haven't found the 4th volume of the K-ON! manga though.

Ah, right, Blu-Rays, I don't really recall seeing any the last time I looked. It was just DVDs, as you said.

Barnes & Noble does have a surprisingly good manga selection, I was honestly shocked.

I can't stand horror movies or games. I mean, Resident Evil 4 scared me the first time I played it.
Anime market here is weird, we have a good variety since we get a lot of stuff from companies from France ( who are big on anime/manga ) that also license for Switzerland. But for K-On! we only have the first season on DVD, for the S2 we only have german version which comes in like 6 separate DVD at crazy prices so it's useless.

Also it really doesn't matter what is available because it's really expensive here , it's almost on japan level pricing for some stuff which is crazy.
The French have been pretty weeaboo since like the 19th century.
I don't remember it in the show and I only re-watched it the summer, but it was in the second movie over the ending. Quite the song choice for such a ridiculous scene.
It's because of that I recognized it in K-on the first time I watched it.
I actually seen K-ON! before then so I thought nothing of the song they played the first time. It wasn't until I saw Eva 2.0 where I drew the connection.

cjkeats

You're all wimps.
I only could play 15 minutes of Amnesia before I said "nope".

I actually seen K-ON! before then so I thought nothing of the song they played the first time. It wasn't until I saw Eva 2.0 where I drew the connection.

Ah, so we're backwards. I saw 2.0 in my "anime is for jerks" phase. I made an exception because it was a one night showing and I never told anyone where I was going. It was the seed planting for my return to animu-land. K-on! was the 3rd series I watched, after Eva again, and Bakemonogatari.

You're all wimps.
I only could play 15 minutes of Amnesia before I said "nope".

Ah, so we're backwards. I saw 2.0 in my "anime is for jerks" phase. I made an exception because it was a one night showing and I never told anyone where I was going. It was the seed planting for my return to animu-land. K-on! was the 3rd series I watched, after Eva again, and Bakemonogatari.

Ooohh, I watched this quite recently, and enjoyed it quite alot. I've watched one hell of a lot of anime though :p

My best buy only has Dragonball Z, Fullmetal Alchemist, and a few other scattered things. It's all mixed in with the regular stuff. Nothing I'm looking for, ever.

Ah, right, Blu-Rays, I don't really recall seeing any the last time I looked. It was just DVDs, as you said.

Barnes & Noble does have a surprisingly good manga selection, I was honestly shocked.
Basically that yeah. I did find the Strike Witches BD amongst all the other BDs. It made me chuckle.
Since reading the K-ON! manga, I've kinda want to get back into collecting manga, so I've spent quite a bit of time in B&N. There's a few that have caught my eye that I'd like to check out, but since it's the holiday season, I don't have much money to spare at the moment.
The only real reason I watched the Rebuild movies is because of Gravijah and ColtraineGF. They also neglected to tell me how the show ends too. They're such pals.
That said, I'll probably watch 3.0 too...

Madao

speaking of Eva, i haven't seen the first 2 movies. i'll watch them when all of them are done. can't handle cliffhangers like that.

cjkeats

Ooohh, I watched this quite recently, and enjoyed it quite alot. I've watched one hell of a lot of anime though :p

One of my favorites. I've been using a Shenjohara Avatar the last week of so, but decided to come back to Asuka for the 3.0 stuff. So I stuck her as my lockscreen.

Since reading the K-ON! manga, I've kinda want to get back into collecting manga, so I've spent quite a bit of time in B&N. There's a few that have caught my eye that I'd like to check out, but since it's the holiday season, I don't have much money to spare at the moment.

My Chapters(Canada's B&N basically) only has the 1st volume of K-on! They have a mountain of Sailor moon and High School of the Dead though. My local comic shop that has two ailes of manga has zero k-on.

My Best Buy is almost completely devoid of anime. Prices aren't that great for what there is either. The K-ON Anime Legends set was one of the few things they had there, however.

Sadly, I know nothing about the UK anime market. I barely understand my own market.

From what I understand, in terms of licensing it's mainly Manga Entertainment. There's a few others, such as Kaze and Beez, but most of the time you're going to be dealing with Manga. In the specific case of K-on, Manga's got the rights to both seasons and released a complete box set. One thing to note that anime Blu Rays are still quite rare: Manga doesn't think they're worth bothering with. (Not that any of you are going to import anyway, since the UK is in a different region for both Blu Ray and DVD)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My Best Buy is almost completely devoid of anime. Prices aren't that great for what there is either. The K-ON Anime Legends set was one of the few things they had there, however.

My best buy used to have a pretty decent selection, then it was regulated to like, one tiny section and they don't have much if anything at all anymore.

From what I understand, in terms of licensing it's mainly Manga Entertainment. There's a few others, such as Kaze and Beez, but most of the time you're going to be dealing with Manga. In the specific case of K-on, Manga's got the rights to both seasons and released a complete box set. One thing to note that anime Blu Rays are still quite rare: Manga doesn't think they're worth bothering with. (Not that any of you are going to import anyway, since the UK is in a different region for both Blu Ray and DVD)

Not worth it? Then why even bother getting the license for them? So strange.
Well, in your defense, I am kind of an ass at times.

Caw6i.gif

Metrotab

Banned
I really need to get on this Evangelion train.

And I play Amnesia by the area. I need mental rest between them, because goddamn it terrifies me. Sometimes I'm just staring at the pause screen.

Top Bottom