• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Kazzy

I have some K-ON!! related things to show tonight, so stay tuned!!

or not...

tumblr_me2owobEI81rkmjjzo1_500.gif

I look forward to it. B-but don't get the wrong idea, got it?!

When I was lurking I got the impression that people didn't really like the college part of the manga and that the manga ended the series on a sour note, is that not the case?

The manga as a whole gets a lot of flack, but I wouldn't say the manga is bad, in fact I like the manga a lot. It's just not as amazing as the anime is.
And the thing about the ending is that,
There isn't really an ending, it just kinda stops.

Uraizen

Banned

Touche, Chet.

The manga as a whole gets a lot of flack, but I wouldn't say the manga is bad, in fact I like the manga a lot. It's just not as amazing as the anime is.
And the thing about the ending is that,
There isn't really an ending, it just kinda stops.

I wasn't a fan of the college portion of it personally, but Chet's spoiler is the biggest problem I had with it. Otherwise it was somewhat enjoyable, just not what I wanted it to be, I guess.

There's always the manga that became the basis of the anime too. Even if the first 2 books are mostly the same thing as the first season.

cjkeats

I haven't heard dub Nodoka, but I do love Laura Bailey.
Saints Row the Third as a lady protagonist was so good with her voice.

cjkeats

Alright, watched an episode of the dub. It was the Mio fan-club tea party episode. The dub is strange. I feel like the voices are too similar in some cases. I couldn't tell Ritsu, Mugi, or Azunyan apart if I wasn't looking at them.
It also seems to suffer from the same problem Persona has with the honorifics. Even though it;s taking place in Japan, it still feels out of place in English. If they were going to Disney-fiey it, that wouldn't really sit well with the target audience. But eh, K-on is still k-on so it was still great.

Nodoka, Sawako and Mio were the only one who sounded natural to me. The rest would probably grow on me if I were to watch more.

Side note: This hotel has the best wi-fi I've ever seen in a hotel.

Alright, watched an episode of the dub. It was the Mio fan-club tea party episode. The dub is strange. I feel like the voices are too similar in some cases. I couldn't tell Ritsu, Mugi, or Azunyan apart if I wasn't looking at them.
It also seems to suffer from the same problem Persona has with the honorifics. Even though it;s taking place in Japan, it still feels out of place in English. If they were going to Disney-fiey it, that wouldn't really sit well with the target audience. But eh, K-on is still k-on so it was still great.

Nodoka, Sawako and Mio were the only one who sounded natural to me. The rest would probably grow on me if I were to watch more.

Side note: This hotel has the best wi-fi I've ever seen in a hotel.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Ritsu, but I agree that Mugi's voice is kinda weak and Azusa's voice fits her character.
And I've probably stated many times, but I wish they would have put more effort in localizing it so there would actually be a reason to watch it besides out of curiosity. The times when they localize a Japanese pun or convert yen into dollars shows that they have some idea that they marketing it for a new audience, but do they really need to stick in weeaboo words? Wouldn't those that like hearing kohai or sempai rather just watch the original show subbed? Hell KyoAni came up with a better English nickname for Azusa in the movie than the dubbers did for the show.
That's enough ranting from me.

Kazzy

Well the dub is a weird amalgamation of different aspects, as it is. And I don't think the honorifics are as much as a problem as the songs being, you know, still in Japanese! But from what I've gleaned, it does seem to suffer from an identity crisis.

Persona is one of the only times I actually think that concession works. For example, I think it does a lot to address the way Yosuke speaks and acts to the different characters, particularly the girls. And there is a really nice detail contain therein, as he always refers to Saki as Senpai. Which is something that is quite significant if you're familiar with the (otherwise) immature personality that he is.
He gradually drops just calling the others by just their names too, and later adopts the honorifics, which is a sign of their friendship.
I don't know how that particular detail could be conveyed as effectively in a straight translation.

cjkeats

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Ritsu, but I agree that Mugi's voice is kinda weak and Azusa's voice fits her character.
And I've probably stated many times, but I wish they would have put more effort in localizing it so there would actually be a reason to watch it besides out of curiosity. The times when they localize a Japanese pun or convert yen into dollars shows that they have some idea that they marketing it for a new audience, but do they really need to stick in weeaboo words? Wouldn't those that like hearing kohai or sempai rather just watch the original show subbed? Hell KyoAni came up with a better English nickname for Azusa in the movie than the dubbers did for the show.
That's enough ranting from me.

This right here is a lot of the problems I have with most dubs. But at the same time, if they try to hard to make it "fit" we get stuff like Card Captors.

I'm fairly certain Persona does it just because the main character don't have a name, and they needed some way around it so characters can refer to him. I'm also fairly certain Bakemonogatari didn't get dubbed either because they spend whole episodes talking about puns and japanese language and it barely makes sense subtitled.

Localization must be a tough business.

EDIT:
Well the dub is a weird amalgamation of different aspects, as it is. And I don't think the honorifics are as much as a problem as the songs being, you know, still in Japanese! But from what I've gleaned, it does seem to suffer from an identity crisis.

Persona is one of the only times I actually think that concession works. For example, I think it does a lot to address the way Yosuke speaks and acts to the different characters, particularly the girls. And there is a really nice detail contain therein, as he always refers to Saki as Senpai. Which is something that is quite significant if you're familiar with the (otherwise) immature personality that he is.
He gradually drops just calling the others by just their names too, and later adopts the honorifics, which is a sign of their friendship.
I don't know how that particular detail could be conveyed as effectively in a straight translation.

I never noticed that with Youke because eventually I just ignored him, but that's significant. Bonus: I just discovered, he texts like a tool.

This right here is a lot of the problems I have with most dubs. But at the same time, if they try to hard to make it "fit" we get stuff like Card Captors.

I'm fairly certain Persona does it just because the main character don't have a name, and they needed some way around it so characters can refer to him. I'm also fairly certain Bakemonogatari didn't get dubbed either because they spend whole episodes talking about puns and japanese language and it barely makes sense subtitled.

Localization must be a tough business.

True, we don't have to go so far as say a rice ball is a donut, but just staying clear of perfectly translatable Japanese words and like Watanabe mentioned, translate the music, I would have enjoyed the dub a lot more. It just feels like the dub is in a no-man's land where nobody really wants it from either side..

Kazzy

This man knows what's most important in life. I might actually have a Persona character I like now.

Yosuke is my favourite Persona character, dude is awesome, and is one of the most convincing teenage portrayals that you're likely to find.

vdvQe.png

I liked how they kept it in the anime, they knew what was up!

Also, awesome Mugi art imminent...

The moment none of you have been waiting for is finally here!
RSfgXl.jpg

zm8Gyl.jpg

Thank you for the gift Uraizen! You've made my day!
I took more photos of the BD sets and my newer Mio and Ritsu Nendoroids here

cjkeats

Jeez, I feel sad that so many people don't understand appreciate, Yosuke.

He reminds of that friend everyone has, who's always kind of a 5th wheel and is loud and obnoxious about it. No one really wants him around, but he's always there so you just deal with it because you'd worry that he'd kill himself if he was left out.

Also, I saw Nickelback live a few years ago(required for canadian citizenship) and it was actually pretty good. Lots of fire.

It's my Birthday today! It's so close to Yui's birthday.

konappybirthday.jpg

Top Bottom