• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Uraizen

Banned
wooo I have that picture on my mousepad

Poor Ritsu has her face blocked by the mouse.

I read your Mugi criticisms. They have been noted.

Does this mean I'm your favorite member now?

Since last night I knew I wanted to draw something for K-ON GAF's 10k, only had the time to do it after the quiz run in Japanese class when I made it to work around noon today. If I could, I'd draw the rest of the cast in there. I think I'll keep it simple for now, just Yui and Yu.

Hah. Yui and Yu.

Heh, Yu is going to have a K-On harem going on.

Today was theory then using extinguishers. Tomorrow is theory for the morning, then a cold smoke exercise inside a training unit, we have to search the place and find the body. Then Friday morning we go into the unit after they've got a proper fire going, have to navigate it when it's filled with smoke, tackle the fire and find a mock casualty, then get out whilst carrying it. Seems like its gonna be so much fun, whilst being very hard :p

This sounds way too awesome for words. I was expecting it to be like what Kazzy said, just a lecture.

Kazzy

Then Friday morning we go into the unit after they've got a proper fire going, have to navigate it when it's filled with smoke, tackle the fire and find a mock casualty, then get out whilst carrying it. Seems like its gonna be so much fun, whilst being very hard :p

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

'Mugi criticisms' make it sound K-On is a philosophical tract.

*Hides notepad in desk drawer*

Yes! That's what I'm talking about!

This sounds way too awesome for words. I was expecting it to be like what Kazzy said, just a lecture.

Heh, this is only the basic course too. I think I have to do the advanced one in a couple of years. I need to be fully prepared to do that kind of stuff, cause if there's a fire when I'm working, we can't get the fire brigade out to the middle of the sea god knows where in the world :p SOO EXCITED!
Hirasawa_Yui_Sparkles_From_K-On_.gif

Metrotab

Banned
I'm surprised nobody other than Chet tried to argue/debate with me about my views on manga Mugi vs anime Mugi.

It actually made me retroactively wonder about Miyuki from Lucky Star, who also got the minimalist role in the 4-character cast, whether her anime incarnation was watered down from the manga as well.

It actually made me retroactively wonder about Miyuki from Lucky Star, who also got the minimalist role in the 4-character cast, whether her anime incarnation was watered down from the manga as well.

This is a pretty good point. I may have to look into acquiring the manga of this too!

Challenge accepted! Though I won't be posting much tomorrow or Friday :( Doing a firefighting short course, and I'm fully expecting to be half dead. Fun though! Will definitely be here most of Saturday, going home for my birthday ;)
Oh man, that sounds brutal, good luck out there!
Nafe, please, you're so nice. =(
QFT
wooo I have that picture on my mousepad
Haha, that's great!
Since last night I knew I wanted to draw something for K-ON GAF's 10k, only had the time to do it after the quiz run in Japanese class when I made it to work around noon today. If I could, I'd draw the rest of the cast in there. I think I'll keep it simple for now, just Yui and Yu.

Hah. Yui and Yu.
Your art does seem like it's been improving, keep it up!
'Mugi criticisms' make it sound K-On is a philosophical tract.

Heh, this is only the basic course too. I think I have to do the advanced one in a couple of years. I need to be fully prepared to do that kind of stuff, cause if there's a fire when I'm working, we can't get the fire brigade out to the middle of the sea god knows where in the world :p SOO EXCITED!
You in the navy? I think you mentioned that before.
I'm surprised nobody other than Chet tried to argue/debate with me about my views on manga Mugi vs anime Mugi.

That's because I'm always here.

Kazzy

The only manga that I have read to any significant degree in the past, was Battle Royale. Which was almost exclusively because the film is too great to put into words, but I ended up not caring all too much about the approach the manga decided to take.

I am still reading Medaka Box, though. Which means I just gripe about the Anime looking shitty in comparison, which isn't to say that don't still enjoy it.

Oh man, that sounds brutal, good luck out there!

You in the navy? I think you mentioned that before.

I'm going into the Merchant Navy, yeah. :)

The only manga that I have read to any significant degree in the past, was Battle Royale. Which was almost exclusively because the film is too great to put into words, but I ended up not caring all too much about the approach the manga decided to take.

Hmm, I think I have the hardback first volume compilation of that kicking about somewhere, just never got around to buying any more of it. From what I remember it was pretty well drawn, but it doesn't really compare to the book/film.

I am still reading Medaka Box, though. Which means I just gripe about the Anime looking shitty in comparison, which isn't to say that don't still enjoy it.
The K-ON! manga is a really easy read compared to a shounen manga like Medaka Box. It's really short.
I'm going into the Merchant Navy, yeah. :)

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but a lot of hard work.

Kazzy

The K-ON! manga is a really easy read compared to a shounen manga like Medaka Box. It's really short.

No doubt, and the only reason that I have refrained from reading the K-ON! manga, is because I had only just finished with the anime.

And Medaka Box is just good fun, and a lot the appeal for me lies in it's tropey nature. Which is refreshing after self-serious nonsense like Bleach.

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but a lot of hard work.

Yeah, I really can't wait to get away! Good pay, and depending on what contracts I get at the end of it, I'll end up with 3 or 5 months each year of holidays. 3 years of training until I'm qualified though. It's a while away yet, but I'm already thinking about planning a 3 month holiday somewhere :p

Madao

speaking of Medaka Box, i've seen the anime only so far and it looks like i might need to pick up the manga if i want to see how it progresses after the anime ends.

Metrotab

Banned
Which one?

The one where it stops being about the box. I loved that premise, as it made fun of something universally mocked (a suggestions box) in a grotesque way. But then it turned to fighting and it's hard for me to get interested into something like that, even when it winks constantly at the viewer in its ridiculosity.

You need a really good setting for me to get along in a battle-central story, and Medaka doesn't satisfy that condition for me.

Uraizen

Banned

I disliked her character a lot as well, it'd be interesting to see if some of her traits were removed, too.

I've just not had the time!

Don't worry, we can just argue some other time.

That's because I'm always here.

I like this.

---

So... are we going to be allowed to discuss Tamako Market in here since it's by the K-On! team or no?

Kazzy

speaking of Medaka Box, i've seen the anime only so far and it looks like i might need to pick up the manga if i want to see how it progresses after the anime ends.

You will, and although I find it amusing that the anime has decided to lampshade various elements that they will likely never get to show (And in the closing, no less!), I can see why it would annoy some.

The one where it stops being about the box. I loved that premise, as it made fun of something universally mocked (a suggestions box) in a grotesque way.

It eventually comes full-circle. Again.

Metrotab

Banned
I remember being confused about Miyuki, as Konata heralded her as the 'incarnation of moe', which felt counter-intuitive to my initial understanding of what moe meant.

Cool :) If you do get time to make one, could you upload it to something that isn't imgur? That's the one I can't see pictures on on this network, blocked due to it being unmoderated or somesuch.
a_very_megumi_xmasxwr1c.png

I think it will fit nicely with the other christmas avatars here. Maybe if I get more time I'll add more Christmas stuff to her.
So... are we going to be allowed to discuss Tamako Market in here since it's by the K-On! team or no?

It's a community thread, as you can see, we just talked about Medaka Box, but with that said, it is not the Official Tamako Market thread.

Haa... I see... not sure what makes a community thread different from any other thread, though.

Community threads consist of like-minded people grouped together to mainly talk about one subject, but they sometimes deviate into other topics of shared interest. Not that the "other topics" should ever become the primary focus.

The Pokémon thread has previously had difficulty understanding that talking about things other than Pokémon is an okay thing to do from time to time.

Chet has made his case for why Mio is the best. None of the rest of you have done much to convince me otherwise. Now if I ever watch the show, I'll be so biased towards her. Haha.

D8jZ9.gif

Chet has made his case for why Mio is the best. None of the rest of you have done much to convince me otherwise. Now if I ever watch the show, I'll be so biased towards her. Haha.

D8jZ9.gif

Though not one of the main five, Jun! Solely on the basis of being Jun.
Edit: And of course, Megumi. Can't get better than a demi-stalker type person.

Uraizen

Banned
Community threads consist of like-minded people grouped together to mainly talk about one subject, but they sometimes deviate into other topics of shared interest. Not that the "other topics" should ever become the primary focus.

Kinda figured, but wasn't entirely sure since some "normal" threads basically become that, too.

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/D8jZ9.gif[/IMG]

Was it the boobs?
It's the boobs.
Mio and Ritsu just go so well together that I can't help but like her.

Community threads are the opposite of normal threads. You talk about anything except the intended topic.

I dunno, I've gone into the FGC weekly thread before and saw nothing but DBZ talk.
It was awesome.
Does that count as a community thread if it's always in the gaming forum?

Esura

Banned
Haha, that's supposed to be Yu Narukami, a.k.a. the main character from Persona 4. I cropped it out, but there was a side-bubble that said
Persona 4: The K-ON! For January 2013... maybe.

Yu is my boi, but he can't be near my girl like that. :(

I don't like him near Chie either...she's mine too. :p

I've never watched it, so I can't won't pass judgement on it. I could never quite get past my problems with the art style, in all honesty.

I didn't mind the art style but I could never get pass the sheer stupidness of the earlier arcs after Romance Dawn and the shitty villains. I heard that it's gotten more hardcore over the years but I can't be arsed to read through hundreds and hundreds of chapters to get that far. After Naruto and Bleach and Claymore I'm done dealing with these long ass mangas with no end in sight. I was around 13 or 14 years old when I first read Naruto and Bleach. I'm 22 now. :(

Let's see what happens when I read from the top of what I've missed since work.
I work in the stacks at a library, specifically in da basement where there is no internet. ':3

Heh, Yu is going to have a K-On harem going on.

I'd like to try to avoid that, especially considering the circumstances by which he meets the cast. I wanna keep discussion to a minimum in this thread so things don't risk ballooning out of control, so PM me your guesses?

I wanted to get into the discussion but it ballooned in my end from a talk about the differences between the Mugi's to a collection of thoughts on the positives and negatives regarding adaptation between manga and anime, among other types of trans-media adaptations. One day (in other words, when Winter Vacation kicks off) I'll get it all down.

"The Differences Between the Mugi's" sounds like an awesome thesis waiting to happen.

Your art does seem like it's been improving, keep it up!

M7lCC.gif

Yu is my boi, but he can't be near my girl like that. :(

I don't like him near Chie either...she's mine too. :p

I will say one thing about Chie in P4K:
She's in lesbians with Yukiko

Uraizen

Banned
I'd like to try to avoid that, especially considering the circumstances by which he meets the cast. I wanna keep discussion to a minimum in this thread so things don't risk ballooning out of control, so PM me your guesses?

I'm... confused? I was only making the comment for fun. I'm not sure what I would be guessing. Are you doing something like Unknown's Assassin Azusa fanfic?

I wanted to get into the discussion but it ballooned in my end from a talk about the differences between the Mugi's to a collection of thoughts on the positives and negatives regarding adaptation between manga and anime, among other types of trans-media adaptations. One day (in other words, when Winter Vacation kicks off) I'll get it all down.

"The Differences Between the Mugi's" sounds like an awesome thesis waiting to happen.

Well, one Mugi is funny, quirky, and has has a very likeable character. The other Mugi is a void filler who lost a lot of her personality in the transition and plays a character role that makes me wonder why she ever existed in the first place.
I'm so sorry, Kazzy, but I simply cannot like her anime version.
I would love to see Mugi fans tell me why they like her.

dluu13

Well, one Mugi is funny, quirky, and has has a very likeable character. The other Mugi is a void filler who lost a lot of her personality in the transition and plays a character role that makes me wonder why she ever existed in the first place.
I'm so sorry, Kazzy, but I simply cannot like her anime version.
I would love to see Mugi fans tell me why they like her.

She gets developed a bit in the second season, but Ritsu is still best.

Uraizen

Banned
Not here, but yes.

Gotcha.

She gets developed a bit in the second season, but Ritsu is still best.

The second season is what solidified the fact that I didn't like her at all. The first season she wasn't really on my radar, but the second season forcing Mugi time on me just made me realize how much I did not like her character. Ritsu will always be the best girl, but her manga version was kinda... iffy.
I feel so bad saying all this now. Not for Mugi, but for Kazzy.

Oh my, thankyou very much, Chet :) Soo cute. You make her from scratch?!
No, its from this scene from obviously episode 7 from the second season.
I thought it would fit in with the other chibi K-ON! girls everyone else has as avatars. And it's cute!
Haa... I see... not sure what makes a community thread different from any other thread, though.
"Normal" threads are usually based around any news or parts of a game/show/movie, or a questions people have. Their life expectancy is usually rather short, lasting only about a few days or so, depending on what it's about. Community threads are set up for people of similar interests to come together to discuss said interests. And they for the most part last as long as the people care to talk about it.
The whole community section is actually fairly new, as it's only been about a year or so that it's been around. It was mostly to clear out a lot of "community" like threads, alot being |OT|s for older games, that would continually stay on the front pages.

D8jZ9.gif
Haha!
I hope you get to watching it some day, as I'd love to hear just how different, or not so different, the actual Mio is compared to the one you've imagined from all my posts, and just how accurate I've been portraying her.
I dunno, I've gone into the FGC weekly thread before and saw nothing but DBZ talk.
It was awesome.
Does that count as a community thread if it's always in the gaming forum?
Basically yes, in fact it probably should be in the community section. There are other threads, a lot that are on the OT side, that I think should have moved over into community long ago. GAF just hasn't quite adjusted to this community thing all the way.
Let's see what happens when I read from the top of what I've missed since work.
I work in the stacks at a library, specifically in da basement where there is no internet. ':3
That doesn't sound too exciting, but I can't imagine it's too hard of a job.

I'll expect a 50 page paper on this on my desk in a week.
The second season is what solidified the fact that I didn't like her at all. The first season she wasn't really on my radar, but the second season forcing Mugi time on me just made me realize how much I did not like her character. Ritsu will always be the best girl, but her manga version was kinda... iffy.
I feel so bad saying all this now. Not for Mugi, but for Kazzy.

It's ok, we all know you're a heathen.

dluu13

That's what I've heard, but I was mostly talking about the physical books themselves. Though they should be coming out with those out in the west here pretty soon, so we'll see how that goes.

I'd still get them for completeness sake. It just wouldn't feel right to have a half set.

dluu13

I suppose if we can keep this rate up we could, but I doubt it.
b1qUX.gif

Starting in January, I'll be working co-op for 8 months. I foresee many chill days, but whether or not I'll have anything to say, I'm not sure of yet.

Funny... during exam period is the time I am most throughout the entire semester.

Starting in January, I'll be working co-op for 8 months. I foresee many chill days, but whether or not I'll have anything to say, I'm not sure of yet.

Funny... during exam period is the time I am most throughout the entire semester.

That sounds kinda nice.

I don't want you all to just flood this thread just to get to |OT2| I want some semblance of discussion here. We'll get there when we get there.

It's easy to get the next 10,000 posts. All we have to do is discuss whatever it is that we like. It doesn't seem too far-fetched that we will all like related things to some extent. Being fans of K-ON! means we have some sort of connection in terms of things we like.

For example, I know some of you guys are watching Chuunibyou. It is after all the currently airing KyoAni show. The rest of you who aren't actually are missing out. Episode 10 is packed with the sorts of feels that you can only get from KyoAni these days it seems. Chuunibyou is rapidly advancing towards the position of my favorite show this season, and unless Shinsekai Yori does something awesome soon it will soon give up it's place to Chuunbyou and rightfully so. SSY is going to have double the episode count so it's a slower burn. Ceding the seasonal pole position to the faster-moving single-cour Chuunibyou is a more than reasonable ending for this season's final tally.

Uraizen

Banned
It's easy to get the next 10,000 posts. All we have to do is discuss whatever it is that we like. It doesn't seem too far-fetched that we will all like related things to some extent. Being fans of K-ON! means we have some sort of connection in terms of things we like.

Or start up an argument with me.
As long as it's K-On related for the sake of the thread.

For example, I know some of you guys are watching Chuunibyou. It is after all the currently airing KyoAni show. The rest of you who aren't actually are missing out. Episode 10 is packed with the sorts of feels that you can only get from KyoAni these days it seems. Chuunibyou is rapidly advancing towards the position of my favorite show this season, and unless Shinsekai Yori does something awesome soon it will soon give up it's place to Chuunbyou and rightfully so. SSY is going to have double the episode count so it's a slower burn. Ceding the seasonal pole position to the faster-moving single-cour Chuunibyou is a more than reasonable ending for this season's final tally.

I second this; it's a pretty good show and my poor heart was not ready for what happened in episode 10.

Top Bottom