• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Leave ritsu alone!

NW2EF.jpg

Madao

Ritsu with short hair is perfect as it is. long hair doesn't suit everyone. that's why she's my favorite overall.

on the other hand, Mugi is perfect with long hair.

Mio's at her best when she's with Ritsu.
Ritsu is at her best at all times.

fixed it for you ahahah

Hyouka 1:

I rate this level of animation quality to be "K-ON Class S". As much as I liked Chuunibyou, it was at best a "K-ON Class B" anime in terms of the animation quality. KyoAni is bringing their A-game for this show and they don't even give a fuck. It has the same level of hair animation that made K-ON famous, and it also brings skillful use of light and shadow, close-up and distant views, and some seriously random moments of sheer fabulousness.

Um, I'm not sure what the show is about though, other than Chitanda being overwhelmingly cute.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 1:

I rate this level of animation quality to be "K-ON Class S". As much as I liked Chuunibyou, it was at best a "K-ON Class B" anime in terms of the animation quality. KyoAni is bringing their A-game for this show and they don't even give a fuck. It has the same level of hair animation that made K-ON famous, and it also brings skillful use of light and shadow, close-up and distant views, and some seriously random moments of sheer fabulousness.

Um, I'm not sure what the show is about though, other than Chitanda being overwhelmingly cute.

Misaki is the best girl in that show, however brief her appearance.
I present evidence
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/misaki sawakiguchi

Hyouka 2:

The use of light and shadow really reminds me of Makoto Shinkai's films. He has distinctive (over)use of lens flares, but also the overbright effect that occurs when you suddenly point a camera at a bright light source and you see it adjust the aperture of the lens and the scene suddenly fades into visibility.

Does Minimal Effort Sherlock Holmes know that he is already Chitanda's eternal sex slave?

cajunator

Banned
K-On! 05

This episode was quite cute despite having Azunyan in it.
While the older girls are away on senior trip, Azu and her friends ui and Jun hang out together. to Azu's credit she is much less panderbait in this episode and more of an actual person. Still not fond of her though. Jun likes to read manga. She cant find that damned volume 6. My roommate is a manga fiend so I know all about that sort of thing. Thats why I stick to anime. I like how this episode was timed to the previous one with the seniors on the trip with that little phone call where they get lost. Neat little touch. then they all get bored and try playing some music. At this point, the other girls are back and everything is happysqueejoy. They give Azu a souvenir which is
a pendant with part of the phrase "Light music Club"
. D'awww. *hugs the show

Also, Sawako > all for obvious reasons, but amongst the girls:

Ritsu > Mio > Ui > bedhair Jun > Jun > Mugi > Nodoka > Yui > Azunyan

K-On! 05

While the older girls are away on senior trip, Azu and her friends ui and Jun hang out together. to Azu's credit she is much less panderbait in this episode and more of an actual person. Still not fond of her though. Jun likes to read manga. She cant find that damned volume 6. My roommate is a manga fiend so I know all about that sort of thing. Thats why I stick to anime. I like how this episode was timed to the previous one with the seniors on the trip with that little phone call where they get lost. Neat little touch. then they all get bored and try playing some music. At this point, the other girls are back and everything is happysqueejoy. They give Azu a souvenir which is
a pendant with part of the phrase "Light music Club"
. D'awww. *hugs the show

Also, Sawako > all for obvious reasons, but amongst the girls:

PKz6m.gif

I feel Jun really steals the show when she's on screen. The three of them really work well together. The main reason I'd love to see a 3rd season with them in their senior year.

OceanBlue

Hyouka 1:

There's an overall narrative involved, but it's about the development of the characters. As far as plot-wise, there is no overarching goal that the characters are aiming for. You'll probably figure this out easily without my help, but it's really a collection of stories that are used to develop each character.

By the end of the second major arc, you'll start to see how Hyouka uses its mysteries to expand on the characters. I really love Hyouka. I went from simply liking it in the beginning to having it in my top 2 KyoAni shows (K-On!! is 1, of course. :p). It's a real treat.

K-On! 05

to Azu's credit she is much less panderbait in this episode and more of an actual person. Still not fond of her though.
ngst the girls:

You know, on second thought, you can go back to the Anime-GAF thread and stay there.

cajunator

Banned
You know, on second thought, you can go back to the Anime-GAF thread and stay there.

You're silly.

She just doesn't stand out to me in any remarkable way. Her friends have way more personality than she does. In a show where everyone is really cute, you have to stand out in some way. Perhaps if she was given an arc as a senior it would be interesting to see if she has a stronger personality.

You're silly.

She just doesn't stand out to me in any remarkable way. Her friends have way more personality than she does. In a show where everyone is really cute, you have to stand out in some way.

Her sticking point is that she's the stick in the mud of the group. She's always so serious, makes you wonder what her parents are like.

Hyouka 3:

The animation style is notable for extensive use of depth-of-field effects. It adds an impressive sense of depth, which is only increased by the frequent use of 3D environment panning. KyoAni is pretty much stylin' on other studios here, they know how awesome they are and they just don't give a fuck.

The framing of shots during the opening scene with Minimal Effort Sherlock and Chitanda is quite creative, with frequent uses of isolation in the frame and partial obstruction. The sudden switch to a fold-out storybook when Chitanda was telling the story was very visually interesting and enjoyable.

I would let Chitanda be my waifu. It would probably result in getting dragged around to random places, but it would be worth it.

Her sticking point is that she's the stick in the mud of the group. She's always so serious, makes you wonder what her parents are like.

As you may recall, her parents are both dead. Her adoptive parents don't know anything about her real past.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 3:

The animation style is notable for extensive use of depth-of-field effects. It adds an impressive sense of depth, which is only increased by the frequent use of 3D environment panning. KyoAni is pretty much stylin' on other studios here, they know how awesome they are and they just don't give a fuck.

The framing of shots during the opening scene with Minimal Effort Sherlock and Chitanda is quite creative, with frequent uses of isolation in the frame and partial obstruction. The sudden switch to a fold-out storybook when Chitanda was telling the story was very visually interesting and enjoyable.

I would let Chitanda be my waifu. It would probably result in getting dragged around to random places, but it would be worth it.

As you may recall, her parents are both dead. Her adoptive parents don't know anything about her real past.

Chitanda is cute but occasionally annoys the fuck out of me with her curiosity. Anyway, the title of the show is about to be explained in this arc, and then following that is an episode that most people agree is the worst (06) after which the show gets progressively better, until the festival starts and it just becomes masterful and every bit as fun as K-On.

OceanBlue

Chitanda is cute but occasionally annoys the fuck out of me with her curiosity. Anyway, the title of the show is about to be explained in this arc, and then following that is an episode that most people agree is the worst (06) after which the show gets progressively better, until the festival starts and it just becomes masterful and every bit as fun as K-On.

Lol, it's funny if you think about that while looking at Hyouka's summaries in the Spring 2012 OTs.

OT1:
Per usual, the production looks to be god-tier, but I can’t say I’m all that interested in Kyoani’s latest. It’s supposed to be a thriller, but they felt the need to grasp for that otaku moolah and shoehorn moeblob to make for an incredibly odd juxtaposition. I’ll give it an ep to see how that works out, but doubt that I’ll stick along for the ride.
OT2:
KyoAni sux. K-On sux. Kadokawa novels suck.
OT3:
KyoAni brings their magic to mundane high school life. The effort that's going into the animation and direction is almost absurd. The mysteries are simple, but logical and presented in an entertaining way; the characters shallow, but their interactions enjoyable.

I'm sure if ongoing series got summaries in the Summer OTs, they would be saying something slightly different about the characters. ;)

(Also, I realized I joined AnimeGAF on Spring 2012 OT2! I feel so new.)

Over time, I started to appreciate Azusa more and more.

Anyways, since I've got a Wii U, here's some shitty drawings I've done on Miiverse, for those that don't have one yet.
pfBbh.jpg

5PSfg.jpg

0cwxJ.jpg

Hey, would you look at that, all of them are Mio!
I think I'm starting to get the hang of drawing on this thing. Maybe the next ones won't be so crappy.

Hyouka 4:

In a show which seems to be primarily about people sitting around talking, the focus naturally shifts necessarily away from the narrative being presented and more towards how it is presented. So what makes Hyouka interesting then isn't necessarily the light-mystery story being told, but how it's shown and how the characters interact with each other. I suppose then it's entirely natural that Hyouka seems to have more effort put into the animation than any other KyoAni show I've watched. The presentation of K-ON was entirely conventional, whereas Hyouka plays extensively with different animation styles and regularly shifts between them to maintain a visually interesting narrative, even if the premise itself is pretty ordinary.

Chitanda can make some pretty good onigiri, and she regularly uses arimasu~ in her sentences. She would make a fine waifu. Too bad she's not available in Yomecolle.

cajunator

Banned
Over time, I started to appreciate Azusa more and more.

Anyways, since I've got a Wii U, here's some shitty drawings I've done on Miiverse, for those that don't have one yet.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of drawing on this thing. Maybe the next ones won't be so crappy.

Nice stuff! So you are...Ackbar in miiverse?

Metrotab

Banned
I think what throws most people off about Azusa is that she becomes the straight man of a group that, through the development of the group dynamic in the first season, already had that role filled in by Mio by those people.

However, that narrative conflict is pretty much what S2 is all about.

You're pretty good at drawing on that thing.
It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, and not touching the screen at all outside of the stylus, it's pretty easy. Wish there was an undo button or something, unless there is one and I haven't noticed.
If you say so...
I think what throws most people off about Azusa is that she becomes the straight man of a group that, through the development of the group dynamic in the first season, already had that role filled in by Mio by those people.

However, that narrative conflict is pretty much what S2 is all about.

Yeah, that's basically how I saw it. They really make Azusa into her own in the second season.

cjkeats

Yesterday at work I took a gander through the respective voice actresses (or seriyues is it?), and discovered some interesting stuff. (interesting to me anyways)
Anyone who has paid attention to me knows I get my kicks out of the fabled imouto shows. I discovered that our dear old Azusa shares a voice with queen tsun-tusn herself, and another favorite brocon sufferer. I think I like Azusa little bit more now.
Yui somehow shares a voice with Medaka, which I can't fathom that at all. Same voice as Chitose from Yur Yuri too, which I can totally hear now that I know. Kinda sounds like Yui plugging her nose. Apparently she voices Momo from To Love-Ru as well, and while I was home over the holidays I rend this entire manga. She's bestgirl material, so this discovery excites me as I just started the show.
Ritsu shares a voice with Hyouka's obvious best girl, which I also would have never guessed.

It always fascinating to see a connection like that between some of my favorite shows/characters, even if this is old news to most of you.

Kazzy

I'd never really paid too much attention to that sort of stuff, but I guess the fact that I actually watch more Anime has actually become evident now, because I am actually picking up on recurring roles. Ai Kayono, mainly because she was fantastic in Hyouka (as real best girl, Mayaka), and Girls und Panzer (as best girl, Saori). Then there's the bonus Medaka Box link too, amongst many others.

cjkeats

I'd never really paid too much attention to that sort of stuff, but I guess the fact that I actually watch more Anime has actually become evident now, because I am actually picking up on recurring roles. Ai Kayono, mainly because she was fantastic in Hyouka (as not best girl, Mayaka), and Girls und Panzer (as best girl, Saori). Then there's the bonus Medaka Box link too, amongst many others.

She was fantastic in Hyouka, and look at that, she's also Muganami.
I can't wait to sit down and watch GuP, it looks so good.

cajunator

Banned
Yesterday at work I took a gander through the respective voice actresses (or seriyues is it?), and discovered some interesting stuff. (interesting to me anyways)
Anyone who has paid attention to me knows I get my kicks out of the fabled imouto shows. I discovered that our dear old Asuna shares a voice with queen tsun-tusn herself, and another favorite brocon sufferer. I think I like Asuna a little bit more now.
Yui somehow shares a voice with Medaka, which I can't fathom that at all. Same voice as Chitose from Yur Yuri too, which I can totally hear now that I know. Kinda sounds like Yui plugging her nose. Apparently she voices Momo from To Love-Ru as well, and while I was home over the holidays I rend this entire manga. She's bestgirl material, so this discovery excites me as I just started the show.
Ritsu shares a voice with Hyouka's obvious best girl, which I also would have never guessed.

It always fascinating to see a connection like that between some of my favorite shows/characters, even if this is old news to most of you.

No wonder I hate Asuna so much >_>
However, she does play Lala Satalin Deviluke and Corticarte in Polyphonica. shit now Im conflicted.
\

011pt.jpg

I really miss a lot of discussion while I'm asleep :p.

K-On!! 04

Field trip episode.
This episode was really well executed. Accurately portrayed the fun and excitement of a long distance field trip. The girls of course being the high energy crazy bunch they are drove Sawako mad the whole time. Its so accurate its ridiculous. I would love to visit those shrines and other historical sites in rural Japan at some point in my life. Seems like such a fascinating place steeped in many traditions. You can really tell the staff who worked on K-On loved what they do. You can feel that they really gave a shit about making the best experience possible here.

It's one of my favorite episodes because for me it's such a nostalgia trip from my time living in Japan, and especially when we took a Kyoto field trip ourselves. I'm hoping that I can pull off another trip there with the next year or so. Or maybe we could do a K-ON GAF field trip :D.

Azusa definitely grew on me but she still feels like she came out of an assembly line.

I did kinda feel the same way. By the end I did really like her but it took some time.

I would hardly say shitty. This is all great stuff and I can't wait to see what else you do. I don't think I could draw anything recognizable on Miiverse.

Anyone who has paid attention to me knows I get my kicks out of the fabled imouto shows. I discovered that our dear old Asuna shares a voice with queen tsun-tusn herself, and another favorite brocon sufferer. I think I like Asuna a little bit more now.

Very cool stuff! Definitely not old news to me since I don't instinctively make these connections and/or have a tendency not to remember them.

She was fantastic in Hyouka, and look at that, she's also Muganami.
I can't wait to sit down and watch GuP, it looks so good.

Oh yeah, GuP is great stuff! Give it some time if you don't like it at first...I had to come around on it but it might be my favorite show from the fall season. I've actually kind of wanted to dig up a copy of Battletanx on the N64 and play that while listening to the GuP soundtrack. Maybe even Tank! Tank! Tank!
lol

cjkeats

011pt.jpg

I really miss a lot of discussion while I'm asleep :p.
You and me both.

It's one of my favorite episodes because for me it's such a nostalgia trip from my time living in Japan, and especially when we took a Kyoto field trip ourselves. I'm hoping that I can pull off another trip there with the next year or so. Or maybe we could do a K-ON GAF field trip :D.
You lived in Japan? I hope to travel there and sight-see/shop afterif I finish University.

Very cool stuff! Definitely not old news to me since I don't instinctively make these connections and/or have a tendency not to remember them.
I wouldn't be able to pick them out unless they're Nolan North level "same voice, different game", I just decided to look it up because it's always fascinating to me just how overused-used some voices are, and always fun to find out favorite characters are the same person. I call it "Laura Bailey syndrome"

Oh yeah, GuP is great stuff! Give it some time if you don't like it at first...I had to come around on it but it might be my favorite show from the fall season. I've actually kind of wanted to dig up a copy of Battletanx on the N64 and play that while listening to the GuP soundtrack. Maybe even Tank! Tank! Tank!
lol

Just like with Jojo, I was gonna wait until the last episode happened and I had some free time, but I believe it's a long wait. Might as well catch it while it's on Crunchy roll before it gets pulled out from under my nose like Gundam Wing did.
I don't think I've ever had a go-to tank game.

You lived in Japan? I hope to travel there and sight-see/shop afterif I finish University.

Spent my junior year of college there (2001-2002). Best time of my life. I always recommend studying abroad, especially in Japan, to everyone that will listen.

I wouldn't be able to pick them out unless they're Nolan North level "same voice, different game", I just decided to look it up because it's always fascinating to me just how overused-used some voices are, and always fun to find out favorite characters are the same person. I call it "Laura Bailey syndrome"

I guess for me I don't even pick it up, even with American/English voice actors, unless it's pointed out to me or it's VERY obvious. But very fascinating stuff indeed.

Just like with Jojo, I was gonna wait until the last episode happened and I had some free time, but I believe it's a long wait. Might as well catch it while it's on Crunchy roll before it gets pulled out from under my nose like Gundam Wing did.
I don't think I've ever had a go-to tank game.

Given Bandai Entertainment's demise, I'd pick up the DVD's if you have any interest in Wing. It's not my favorite Gundam but it is still absolutely worth watching.

I don't really have a go to tank game either. My friends and I played a lot of Battletanx in high school so it's probably just nostalgia goggles. I suspect if I go back to it now I will probably be let down.

cjkeats

Spent my junior year of college there (2001-2002). Best time of my life. I always recommend studying abroad, especially in Japan, to everyone that will listen.
I've always wanted to study abroad, but I'm terrified of the language barrier and I'm far to lazy to lean any other language other than a programming language. I do know "baka" so that should be enough to get me through a vacation right?

Given Bandai Entertainment's demise, I'd pick up the DVD's if you have any interest in Wing. It's not my favorite Gundam but it is still absolutely worth watching.

I loved it back in my teenage days, so I was pretty excited to see it again on Crunchyroll, then the other day I noticed it was missing from my queue, and then realized ALL the Gundam was gone. I didn't know Bandai went under.

An unexpected crossover!

I think we just discovered the origins of Mami's hair. I think Kyouko and Ristu would get along just fine.

cjkeats

Studying abroad sounds expensive though.

That's what student loans are for, get money now, worry about it later!
Also, I dunno about your respective countries but I think the Canadian government gives out hella grant money for students who wanna go abroad. I should look into that.

I've always wanted to study abroad, but I'm terrified of the language barrier and I'm far to lazy to lean any other language other than a programming language. I do know "baka" so that should be enough to get me through a vacation right?

If you're in the major cities you won't have much trouble. I lived in Nagoya and it was very English friendly and easy to get around. I wouldn't let a language barrier stop you, especially in Japan. All the studying of Japanese I did in my first two years of college didn't really prepare me for using it on a daily basis anyway, but I adapted fairly quickly. It helped a lot that I lived with a host family too.

I loved it back in my teenage days, so I was pretty excited to see it again on Crunchyroll, then the other day I noticed it was missing from my queue, and then realized ALL the Gundam was gone. I didn't know Bandai went under.

Yep, Bandai Entertainment (the NA part of Bandai) went under last year. They just recently made their last shipment of retailer orders, so if there was anything they published here that you have an interest in I would strongly consider picking it up soon. I personally don't hold out much hope that Gundam will be rescued by anyone.

Studying abroad sounds expensive though.

Thanks to grants and scholarships it actually somehow worked out to be cheaper for me to study abroad that year than to stay in the US. Everything including airfare was paid for and I even got a generous monthly stipend. I was one of only two Asian Studies majors at my university so I had no competition for anything I applied for, which was nice :D.

I'll have to see where exactly all my pictures are at from when I was there, if anyone wants to see them.

Top Bottom