• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Unfortunate that it just skirts into the highest price threshold. Though I guess it's not too bad, considering the content.

Hey, look at it this way: If I end up buying this, the random number gods that control this universe will roll the dice as such that Udon will work out a way to release it here in English and my wallet will scream to the heavens in agony!!

It happened with the Atelier Trilogy artbook. >_>

Kazzy

Hey, look at it this way: If I end up buying this, the random number gods that control this universe will roll the dice as such that Udon will work out a way to release it here in English and my wallet will scream to the heavens in agony!!

It happened with the Atelier Trilogy artbook. >_>

And the Persona artbooks...

cjkeats

Those Persona books are amazing. Some of the best things I've ever bought.
Have Udon ever done a non-video game book though? Browsing their site it don't seem like it. Oh look, Evangelion books.

EDIT: lol, they brought the Valkyria Chronicles 3 book over. So salty.

Kazzy

Those Persona books are amazing. Some of the best things I've ever bought.
Have Udon ever done a non-video game book though? Browsing their site it don't seem like it. Oh look, Evangelion books.

EDIT: lol, they brought the Valkyria Chronicles 3 book over. So salty.

Oh, please! You have no one to blame for yourself with that one! The others had already made it over, and it's been listed on Amazon for the good part of a year.

The VC books are excellent.

Madao

K-ON!: Movie (Blu-ray) - 110 minutes - $23.99 - 5/21/13
Special Features: Interviews; K-ON's Anniversary; 1-2-3 K-ON!; Live Event; K-On in London; Trailer; Teaser; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Go, and pre-order.

i just noticed this and remembered i just spent over $200 with the James bond 50th anniversary set so i can't buy any blu-rays for a while.

i hope there's a massive box with all the k-on material eventually since i don't feel like hunting each part separately (and i hope it doesn't cost a fortune)

cjkeats

Oh, please! You have no one to blame for yourself with that one! The others had already made it over, and it's been listed on Amazon for the good part of a year.

Oh I wasn't complaining, I just found it funny. Udon does what Sega don't.
I haven't even played any of them, but I bought them so I did my part, even if it was out of the Wal-mart bargain bin and PSN sale.

i just noticed this and remembered i just spent over $200 with the James bond 50th anniversary set so i can't buy any blu-rays for a while.

i hope there's a massive box with all the k-on material eventually since i don't feel like hunting each part separately (and i hope it doesn't cost a fortune)

If it ever exists, it will cost a billion dollars and just be the disks and nothing else. It's anime, being a fan is suffering for your wallet.

Kazzy

Oh I wasn't complaining, I just found it funny. Udon does what Sega don't.
I haven't even played any of them, but I bought them so I did my part, even if it was out of the Wal-mart bargain bin and PSN sale.

Oh, I thought you were referring to the artbook, rather than the game. Resume being salty!
I've never stopped.

cjkeats

Oh, I thought you were referring to the artbook, rather than the game. Resume being salty!
I've never stopped.

Maybe when I play them I'll get my salt shaker out, but for now I'm kinda indifferent about it. However I'll give them all my salt if we don't get Yakuza 5 though. All. My. Salt.

So it's a book for each season and two books for the movie? That really looks like something I'd love to have.

It's not the kind of illustration collection that looks like stuff they used in the making of the series and movie. It's a collection of the artwork that they had in magazines like Newtype and Megami and Nyantype, and on figure boxes and the artwork for the dakimakura. It spans the entire series' run as an anime for both seasons and the movie, yeah, but you won't see mere lines against a white background.

It's gonna take Sentai rescuing the license for season 1 since Bandai died and nobody seems to have gotten it for them to put it all in one big set.

It's not the kind of illustration collection that looks like stuff they used in the making of the series and movie. It's a collection of the artwork that they had in magazines like Newtype and Megami and Nyantype, and on figure boxes and the artwork for the dakimakura. It spans the entire series' run as an anime for both seasons and the movie, yeah, but you won't see mere lines against a white background.

Looking at the examples, I figured as much. Still really cool anyways.

And on that note, has there been anything from Kakifly where he's shown his initial concept drawings for the characters? I'd love to see that process.

Looking at the examples, I figured as much. Still really cool anyways.

And on that note, has there been anything from Kakifly where he's shown his initial concept drawings for the characters? I'd love to see that process.

I'd be interested in seeing that, it would be pretty cool. Those art books seem awesome enough, and I think it works out at approx £60 for them. No idea how much it would cost to import them, though :(

...has there been anything from Kakifly where he's shown his initial concept drawings for the characters? I'd love to see that process.

I'd be interested in seeing that, it would be pretty cool.

I'd love to see that level of behind-the-scenes material. Rarely if ever does a manga ever go that deep in divulging the process unless it's something that busted down cultural barriers in a hyperbolic fashion like the legendary Osamu Tezuka's stuff or Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball.

Heck, how many recent properties in manga form or otherwise have had that level of transparency in the process divulged in a book form? It's the usual thing to be released for a big movie (Summer Wars) or a video game (artwork collected in a book with artist commentary), but a pure manga getting something like that isn't something I can easily recall. Maybe I'm just not looking at the right properties.

I almost feel like the most that we can do is some form of reverse cultural anthropology by inspecting and dissecting the existing work and studying how it changed over its run. However, the opposite argument can also be made that these light-hearted shows with adorable characters might just be various design traits slapped together with not much forethought being brought into the equation.

That also reminds me that Ritsu's hair was originally different for the first 2 chapters of the manga.
PKine.png

It changed really fast, so I wonder what was up with that. Did they get some negative feed back on it, or did he just feel like having some hair hang down in front of her ears looked better? It doesn't really matter, but it's something to think about.

The color pages that precede the first 4komas have Ritsu with the hairstyle we recognize now while what I presume are the first 2 months of the comic's run have her with that bizarro other hairstyle. Maybe it was a trial run or Kakifly was temporarily insane?

they realized it wasn't Ritsu and had to create her asap before the manga crashed and burned.

eonRT.gif

Some other things I noticed during the beginning chapters of K-ON!
  • Mugi's eyebrows aren't nearly as thick. They seemed to get to the right thickness by the time they get to the end of the first volume.
  • Nodoka's glasses are full frames. Though this doesn't seem to change until much later.
  • Yui's Hair pins seem to be different and she seemed to have a grade A zettai ryouiki instead of wearing pantyhouse like she does normally in the show and the rest of the manga.
  • Mio's boobs aren't very noticeable, though maybe that's why they make the boob gag in the first beach trip. They also seem to get bigger every volume. Hohoho

Finally done with training, thankfully. Despite dominating my week it actually went well for a change. Totally ready for the weekend now, and hopefully more K-ON GAF time :).

Do you have Tekken Tag 2 for either PS3 or Wii U? Could show you my most excellent Violet and Lee team. ;3

Added both of you, if that's okay. I need more Wii U friends too. :3

Also, anyone else feel free to add me on PSN or WiiU - leechaolan

I shall add you when I get the chance...and I do happen to have TT2 out from Gamefly on Wii U...but I haven't had a chance to play thanks to other distractions. I'll try to change that and then see how badly I get my ass kicked in that game :p

Yoji Shinkawa, the Metal Gear artist, drew that doodle of Raiden on my MGS HD Edition game insert that I handed to him last year, and I scanned it in and cleaned it up tonight just to put it in my GAF avatar next to Yui >_>

That is one of the coolest things ever, and I highly approve!!

I've partially done my part to help support VC...got VCII on my Vita right now. Hopefully my purchase was the one Sega needed to see to convince them to localize VC3
lol

Also, the K-ON movie has been preordered. With authority.

Emitan

eonRT.gif

Some other things I noticed during the beginning chapters of K-ON!
  • Mugi's eyebrows aren't nearly as thick. They seemed to get to the right thickness by the time they get to the end of the first volume.
  • Nodoka's glasses are full frames. Though this doesn't seem to change until much later.
  • Yui's Hair pins seem to be different and she seemed to have a grade A zettai ryouiki instead of wearing pantyhouse like she does normally in the show and the rest of the manga.
  • Mio's boobs aren't very noticeable, though maybe that's why they make the boob gag in the first beach trip. They also seem to get bigger every volume. Hohoho

RIP

Here's what I mean about Mio.
3ghIdur.png

LtKHyye.png

I'm not the only one that seems to think they're bigger there, right? Maybe I'm just crazy.
It also almost seems like they switched the colors her swimsuits around for the anime, but the manga panels in color have her first one black. Black is a good color for her anyways.
just like a new F-Zero game, right?
K-ON!!! is probably more likely at this point.
Same here...it's as if Miiverse was designed for Chet!

I should at least learn how to draw Yui/Ui so I can contribute something besides crude smilies there (or anywhere, frankly).
Haha, thanks. You can always give it a shot. I like it when other people take up drawing.

Oh, and Jun has different looking bangs when she first appears, but then again, she doesn't ever really have a name at that point.
She doesn't even really get one until the chapter where they go to the pool in the 3rd volume, though she appears a few times prior to that.

*hugs chet*

I'm sure it'll become better for you soon. :)

I'm still enjoying it, a lot more than a certain other show, but it's rather disappointing coming from the team that made K-ON! I think the fact that it basically looks exactly like K-ON! in it's art is more of a con than a pro for me. Probably makes me more critical of its shortcomings.
It being only on its third episode leaves a lot for improvement, but the bird will probably ruin that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm still enjoying it, a lot more than a certain other show, but it's rather disappointing coming from the team that made K-ON! I think the fact that it basically looks exactly like K-ON! in it's art is more of a con than a pro for me. Probably makes me more critical of its shortcomings.
It being only on its third episode leaves a lot for improvement, but the bird will probably ruin that.

That's understandable. I'm finding it quite enjoyable in its own right, it's going for something completely different than K-On though, it seems. At least for now. ^^;

Kazzy

Hm.

And I enjoy Tamako Market because it isn't trying to be K-ON! We clamour for more, but the moment they start imitating it, we'd only resent it.

Top Bottom