• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Madao

i'm skipping it because i've got plenty with Jojo and Gintama this season.

i'm also planning a Sailor Moon rewatch soon. my time's gonna be tight with all this + gaming and work.

NkUiZN4.png

Momo from TLRD has the same type of tighs and she's voiced by the same VA as Yui. these coincidences are getting weird.
look at what my mind comes up with when there's nothing to do at work

Hm.

And I enjoy Tamako Market because it isn't trying to be K-ON! We clamour for more, but the moment they start imitating it, we'd only resent it.
And that's why I think the art being a direct copy of K-ON! dampens the whole thing. Even if it's designed by the same guy, that's not really a good excuse for having it all look exactly the same. It feels like they're just trying to use K-ON!'s popularity for a cheap hook.
Tamako is the only show this season that i'm looking forward to watching every week :/
at least my backlog is being chipped away at
this live K-On cover by Shoko Nakagawa/SCANDAL is surprisingly good
Yoko has the better singing voice, but this is pretty neat!
I love that cover.
Better than the original
No.
I drew too close to the spine again. I'm an idiot. Maybe next time I can remember to plan my drawing out with an outline. Then I can also make sure that I won't just draw the person from the chest up.

Haha, Tsundere Yui looks cute. The face seems to be one of your best yet. It looks clean and accurate.

All this art makes me wanna give it a try.
I've so neglected my art. Its shameful.

I went through a period where I stopped drawing completely for a couple of years. It happens. :/

Even if I don't really do any finished pieces, I try to sketch some small things once in a while just to keep my skills sharp. Sometimes I'll just cover a whole notebook page full of sketches of hands just to practice drawing them better.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Even if I don't really do any finished pieces, I try to sketch some small things once in a while just to keep my skills sharp. Sometimes I'll just cover a whole notebook page full of sketches of hands just to practice drawing them better.

True enough, which is why I'm getting back into it. I was just kinda depressed for a while and needed a break. While breaks really shouldn't last as long as mine did, occasional ones can be good mentally I think.

Momo from TLRD has the same type of tighs and she's voiced by the same VA as Yui. these coincidences are getting weird.
look at what my mind comes up with when there's nothing to do at work
Haha, I always thought they looked kinda similar.
Happy birthday Duder.

Any k-onGAF not in the Sim City beta and want a code? First come first serve.
I'd say yes, but I don't think my computer can handle it. It is kinda old.
True enough, which is why I'm getting back into it. I was just kinda depressed for a while and needed a break. While breaks really shouldn't last as long as mine did, occasional ones can be good mentally I think.

Yeah, there are times were I just get into art slumps and take a break from it all. I never stray to far away though, as I always get new ideas for something to draw.

Kazzy

And that's why I think the art being a direct copy of K-ON! dampens the whole thing. Even if it's designed by the same guy, that's not really a good excuse for having it all look exactly the same. It feels like they're just trying to use K-ON!'s popularity for a cheap hook.

It doesn't really look the same, though. At least not in a way that I would say it is a cheap imitation. Yes, the character themselves do resemble that design, though the same can be said for the majority of KyoAni works. Even Ghibli retains a distinctive design in that regard, but the worlds and locales do change around those familiar faces, and I think the same can be applied towards Tamako Market. You can see traces of it in most of their recent output, and even K-ON itself is markedly different in appearance from the manga.

Rather than it being cribbed from one source in-particular, or being used as a cheap tactic to elicit a response, It's more a result of KyoAni using their own in-house style, one which they continue to refine here. It's just something which you are giving K-ON ownership over. Though, If you aren't referring to that aspect specifically, than I apologize.

Emitan

I don't really understand your point either. You are complaining a KyoAni show looks like a KyoAni show.

Sora no Woto, Chuunibyou, Hyouka. All of these shows feature similar character designs to K-On!. Aside from things like Nichijou this is how KyoAni generally designs their characters.

It doesn't really look the same, though. At least not in a way that I would say it is a cheap imitation. Yes, the character themselves do resemble that design, though the same can be said for the majority of KyoAni works. Even Ghibli retains a distinctive design in that regard, but the worlds and locales do change around those familiar faces, and I think the same can be applied towards Tamako Market. You can see traces of it in most of their recent output, and even K-ON itself is markedly different in appearance from the manga.

Rather than it being cribbed from one source in-particular, or being used as a cheap tactic to elicit a response, It's more a result of KyoAni using their own in-house style, one which they continue to refine here. I just it is something which you are giving K-ON ownership over.If you aren't referring to that aspect specifically, than I apologize.

Looking at Hyouka and Chu-2 at a glance, sure they have similarities to K-ON!, but they really aren't the same. Where as if you take Tamako's hair and change it to blonde, you get Mugi. Sure the K-ON! anime art isn't that dependent on the manga, but the anime really outgrew the manga and has become it's own huge thing.
I just feel like they could have shaken it up a bit more than they have.

Kazzy

I don't really understand your point either. You are complaining a KyoAni show looks like a KyoAni show.

Sora no Woto, Chuunibyou, Hyouka. All of these shows feature similar character designs to K-On!. Aside from things like Nichijou this is how KyoAni generally designs their characters.

Which is conspicuous, because that did take that style, and it seems a deliberate ploy on their part. I say nothing for its quality (having never watched it), but this seems to doing exactly what Chet originally accused Tamako Market of. For better or worse, almost every review that I've read, prefaces itself by saying that it isn't K-ON.

I think you're all misunderstanding me, I don't hate Tamako.

I don't think that you hate it, just that some of the terms by which you are judging it on are slightly unfair.

Sora no Woto isn't done by KyoAni though.
I don't think that you hate it, just that some of the terms by which you are judging it on are slightly unfair.

You may be right. The way I write things always seems to come off more harsh than I really mean them to.

OceanBlue

Sora no Woto isn't done by KyoAni though.

Lol, Toshifumi might as well be Horiguchi lite anyway. Just look at how people received Kokoro Connect's anime designs.

(Yeah, I know Horiguchi did Kokoro Connect's light novel designs. The anime still looks a lot like Horiguchi though!)

Lol, Toshifumi might as well be Horiguchi lite anyway. Just look at how people received Kokoro Connect's anime designs.

(Yeah, I know Horiguchi did Kokoro Connect's light novel designs. The anime still looks a lot like Horiguchi though!)

They got the best guy for the job I'd say. lol

Any k-onGAF not in the Sim City beta and want a code? First come first serve.
Not sure if my computer is up to the task, but I'll take the code and give it a shot if you still have it :)

Haha, thanks. You can always give it a shot. I like it when other people take up drawing.
Might at least try tracing first lol. I hope I'm not too old to learn to draw.

You may be right. The way I write things always seems to come off more harsh than I really mean them to.

No worries, Chet. I do get where you are coming from, and to a great extent agree with you on Tamako as it relates to K-ON. While I enjoy it, part of me feels like "well, we COULD be getting K-ON!!! but instead we get this" but at least what we are getting is still pretty good. I don't want that to sound more derogatory than it is; as Chet said I believe this is due to the striking similarity between the two series' character designs and art styles.

Perhaps the staff is a bit K-ON'ed out right now. I would think that a S3 is still somewhat of an inevitability.

I think they have said they don't really want to do anything passed highschool, but money talks so you never know. It's not like they have to have it be a sequel.

I think they'll come around on that, especially given the demand for it. At least we still have the manga...and the memories *sniff*.

I feel bad for only being able to watch this english dubbed.

The voice work isn't that bad really, and in some cases it's really good. Most of my complaints for it are more localization nitpicking than anything. Like they should have dubbed the songs or tried to ween out some of the more weeaboo-ish words.

The Anime Network is the only streaming place I've seen with K-on!! and it's only the dub. Maybe he's watching it there.

Yeah, the first season isn't on there either. Sentai really needs to save it from Bandai, it's not like they're gonna do anything with it anymore anyways.

No K-On! episodes tonight because of Toonami GAF :p

I'll resume tomorrow. xD

Uraizen, when do you think you might be open for some Tekken? ;3

Amishpriest - Got your request, so same question for you! (or Mahvel, I dun care.)

The voice work isn't that bad really, and in some cases it's really good. Most of my complaints for it are more localization nitpicking than anything. Like they should have dubbed the songs or tried to ween out some of the more weeaboo-ish words.
There is the Laura Bailey/Nodoka factor that gives the dub huge bonus points.

No K-On! episodes tonight because of Toonami GAF :p

I'll resume tomorrow. xD

Amishpriest - Got your request, so same question for you! (or Mahvel, I dun care.)

Maybe later today (by which I mean Sunday)? I'll let you know.

Uraizen

Banned

Good question, I'm not even sure myself... Hell, I don't think I've got on PSN to accept your friend request yet.

---

Guys, short notice, but I'll be showing up for the simulview today! We still doing it at 8PM EST?

Good question, I'm not even sure myself... Hell, I don't think I've got on PSN to accept your friend request yet.

---

Guys, short notice, but I'll be showing up for the simulview today! We still doing it at 8PM EST?

LOL, don't worry about it, no rush, I'm not on a lot anymore either. Whenever is fine. :)

Aww, you guys do sumulviews? Sounds fun. Will have to catch myself up soon. :(

|
v​
You don't need subs, just love.
Exactly.
There is the Laura Bailey/Nodoka factor that gives the dub huge bonus points.
Most definitely
Actually, Studio A-1 started that "plump" character design that K-on uses with the show Kannagi in 2008. K-on then came out in 2009.
A trend I can get behind.
Though for whatever reason, I see the K-ON! faces more in Sora no Woto than I do in Kannagi. Maybe it has more to do with the actual characters than the look of everything.

cajunator

Banned
|
v​

Exactly.

Most definitely

A trend I can get behind.
Though for whatever reason, I see the K-ON! faces more in Sora no Woto than I do in Kannagi. Maybe it has more to do with the actual characters than the look of everything.

The sora no woto characters have those huge eyelash designs characteristic of K-On. Kannagi had much lighter weighted eye designs but definitely put a bit of meat on the characters, which I really appreciated. It was also a pretty looking show.

Top Bottom