• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-on! Community |OT| Never Ending Talk About Never Ending Girl's Talk

Gravijah

I think Kyoto Animation should really show that they care about their responsibility to the state of society, and work on a K-On follow up showing the girls as middle-age women who have made something of themselves and are contributing to society. It is the only way they can make up for their crimes.

as a massive fan of the show, i would love this.

Dresden

I think Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi (filthy rich) would all make the transition pretty well.

Yui and Azusa could be more problematic.

jman2050

The K-On girls are moeblobs though. Moeblobs as a species are eternally youthful and don't age at all, so that continuation wouldn't work.

Emitan

Would love to see them all as adults.

I love K-On! because it's an idealized high school experience for girls and I never got to go to high school as a girl ;~;

The K-On girls are moeblobs though. Moeblobs as a species are eternally youthful and don't age at all, so that continuation wouldn't work.

irkSd.jpg

Esura

Banned
She's kinda really lazy and unambitious. Sure she gets better by the time she's done with high school, but still. It's a good thing she got into the same university as her club mates.

The fact she is able to even get into the same university as her mates speak volumes about her potential. I could almost see Yui being a teacher like Sawako-sensei for the future Light Music Club. Yui is going to be that shining star. Just you see.

Azusa, I see her doing better than anyone in HTT sans Mugi...cause she is already rich and shit.

Esura

Banned
I didn't mean she was dumb, I meant she's unmotivated. Her friends help keep her in line, otherwise she'd just be a NEET.

HTT is what keeps Yui motivated and maturing. Quite a few times in the anime other characters that knew Yui for a long time mention how much she has changed since being part of the Light Music Club. Its why I think she will have a brighto future post K-ON!

So I'm watching the dub, and did they not ever call her Sawa-chan? That's kind of strange considering all of the honorifics are still there. Also, Ritsu's English voice is like perfect.

So I'm watching the dub, and did they not ever call her Sawa-chan? That's kind of strange considering all of the honorifics are still there. Also, Ritsu's English voice is like perfect.

Yeah, sometimes they're really weeaboo-ish with honorifics, and then all of a sudden they're talking dollar amounts and calling Sawako Miss Yamanaka. Not exactly how I would have done it. I should check out how they localized season 2.
And I like both Mio's and Ritsu's English voices, and I think Yui's English voice can sing better than her actual Japanese voice
Yeah, I was pretty pleased with it. The songs aren't dubbed, though, which kind of sucks.

The funny thing is that they do have dubbed versions of some of the songs on the dvd, but not in the actual show.

Which is probably why they stuck with the Japanese songs in the actual show.

Yeah. Translating a song so it sounds good and retains the same meaning, rhythm, cadence, structure, etc has to be hard as shit. I had to translate some poetry, and I wanted to blow my fucking brains out. I cannot imagine the difficulty involved in a song.

Someone could have done better. Just from a quick listen, all three of the translated songs sound very stilted, which is probably a result of being way literal with the translation.

Eh, maybe, but I don't really care to figure out if it could or not. But what I don't get is why they didn't just get the English actors to sing in Japanese, as I think they did do that for some anime convention in promotion for the dub.
Well, everything in the dub could have been handled better, but oh well...
Easy: it's Laura Bailey.
That would explain it, lol.
Also, on the subject of posters and the K-On dub, while the picture quality is way worse and it's probably not as nice looking as Chet's, I do have this:

Signed by the English cast of HTT.

Hehehe
They're only good because I'm using a nice SLR camera for the most appropriate things.
But that is a nice poster. Maybe one day I too will have a poster signed by Christina Vee.

Articalys

I just realized that this event was long before this thread got started, so I'd never talked about it here. At the San Francisco J-Pop Summit Festival last fall, Bandai USA was still promoting the release of K-On volume 3, so they'd brought the main dub cast with them. Besides handing out tons of those posters, the girls also did a few live "perfomances" in costume, singing for real but not actually playing the instruments.

Yes, Christine Marie Cabanos was wearing cat ears.
They also had a theater screening of the episodes, but I didn't stick around for it.

Top Bottom