• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But what are they being in your face about? That's what I'm comparing. When 2NE1 just wants to party, their jam fine. When they're trying to pack in their message with it, it often feels contrived and even hypocritical. I wrote a pretty harsh criticism of it around the time Ugly came out, maybe I can find it...

Peru

Ugly is one of their least good singles, but I don't see the problem in someone who's about fun and confident self-expression getting serious once in a while - problem was more that the Aguilera lyrics reversed weren't that good.

tumblr_lz4wo4dyPi1r0jxwqo1_500.gif

tumblr_lz4vorvAWj1qzf4i2o2_500.gif

tumblr_lz4ugmkdqj1qbxvuso1_500.gif

Dice

Well, it is reflective of the attitude they present.

"I don't like being told I have to be pretty" -- So purposely try to be ugly/rough on the eyes?
"I am confident and strong" -- So I have to act all tough to prove it to everyone?
"It's what's in the inside that counts" -- So I will be a smoldering ball of anger and yell about how I hate those who don't realize it?
(wow, what a beautiful heart you have)

That's what I mean by contrived and hypocritical. The philosophy and the results don't match. It doesn't seem like someone being how they truly are, it seems like someone trying to be the opposite of what they don't like to prove a point about rebelling against the status quo. That isn't true confidence, inner beauty, strength, or style. It's not an expression of self in a direct sense, it's an expression from reaction, which is only indirectly representative of what is in oneself.

Dice

Oh fuck off. They're young girls who want to scream and shout, what's it to you?
Haha, that's just it. They come off like angsty kids who have put little thought into the issues they face and how it relates to them. Not that it's bad but it's just not at all what I consider to be cool. They will grow out of it, as will their fans, and into something better. So my interest lies in that something better. I felt the same way in high school when my friends got into punk rock.

Alta1r

Lol, man you guys delve into the music that much on either side? I just listen to what sounds good.

In any case, just got to this part:
tumblr_lz3jf2UlCq1r0buzho1_500.jpg

Shit's going crazy left and right. I still can't tell who Hye Mi is going to end up with. I could see Taecyeon cause he seems like the lead guy in the series. But then what about Eunjung? I could also see Sam Dong as the dark horse "I stayed by your side" candidate. But I could also see the Korean penchant for sad endings kick in with
Taecyeon shipped off to America for some new reason, Sam Dong dying cause of his head injury
and Hye Mi not ending up with either of the two.

Lol, and this part was great:

tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo1_250.gif
tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo2_250.gif

tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo3_250.gif
tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo4_250.gif

tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo5_250.gif
tumblr_lz2a5tXj9C1qbyhpuo6_250.gif

Peru

You can bugger off too, buddy. Songs don't spring up out of the blue, they happen as sparks fly between performer and producer. They own those songs like Aliyaah owned hers.

Haha, that's just it. They come off like angsty kids who have put little thought into the issues they face and how it relates to them. Not that it's bad but it's just not at all what I consider to be cool. They will grow out of it, as will their fans, and into something better. So my interest lies in that something better. I felt the same way in high school when my friends got into punk rock.

I think you're mistaken - they're having fun, the fans are having fun, it's not about angst at all - it's about letting go of angst, about kicking its ass, about clapping your hands and shooting some guns. There's no growing out of that - it's universal and why "I'm The Best" was such an iconic k-pop song that will live on forever.

And I'm surprised YOU are suddenly taking the high horse when it comes to pop artists having to 'put thought into the issues they face' like it's some ph.d. thesis.

271f51e1552f7b1889bc57a2dbfa4a5f_large.jpg

'peace and love y'all'

meanwhile...

A famous idol star whose identity has yet to be revealed has been rumored to have been blackmailed by his former girlfriend.

The female threatened to leak video footage of his naked body over the internet if he refused to hand over $890,000 USD. She claims to have clips of the two that they previously recorded during their dating relationship.

At the time, the idol star was filming multiple CFs and drama series, and seeing his soaring popularity, the female had used the videos to blackmail him. After being continuously threatened, the idol star finally decided to put in an investigation request, and the videos have since been confiscated by investigators.

Although the nature of the crime is rather unethical, taking into consideration that this is her first offense, it will be summarily indicted.

Dice

I think you're mistaken - they're having fun, the fans are having fun, it's not about angst at all - it's about letting go of angst, about kicking its ass, about clapping your hands and shooting some guns. There's no growing out of that - it's universal and why "I'm The Best" was such an iconic k-pop song that will live on forever.
That's one of their party songs. They have plenty of other Pink-like songs that are trying to make a statement. Between the two types, there is a conflict of attitude. I much prefer the more self-assured one that matches their first EP.

And I'm surprised YOU are suddenly taking the high horse when it comes to pop artists having to 'put thought into the issues they face' like it's some ph.d. thesis.
I don't as long as the artist doesn't try to take it there. If they do, and especially if they do repeatedly and build a persona by it, I want to see some congruity between thought, action, and word.

Quadratic

MB in Paris -
bXNWm.jpg

Hey wait a sec... isn't Eunjung's leg supposed to be in a cast? I hope CCM isn't making her perform before her injury heals 100% she was supposed to be out 6 for weeks.

EDIT: I guess she made the trip, I really wish she would get some rest ; ;

20120207095527714.jpg

Fafnir

Shit's going crazy left and right. I still can't tell who Hye Mi is going to end up with. I could see Taecyeon cause he seems like the lead guy in the series. But then what about Eunjung? I could also see Sam Dong as the dark horse "I stayed by your side" candidate. But I could also see the Korean penchant for sad endings kick in with
Taecyeon shipped off to America for some new reason, Sam Dong dying cause of his head injury
and Hye Mi not ending up with either of the two.

Damn I dunno how you guys can get into K-dramas. I watched 3 episodes of Dream High, 1st episode, middle episode where IU jump ropes the fat off, and the last one to see who K was. I don't think I missed much. I am going to try and watch the new Yoona drama but will probably get all ADD after 30 mins of episode 1. I'm afraid of watching Taengoo's guest spot as I already feel like screaming "HA JEE MAHL" seeing the teasers...never really gave a damn about Minho but the hate/jelliness is starting to form lol

Anyways back to reposting pics and gifs.

Happy Birthday Shikshin Sooyoung!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjKIG7tvDvQ

Time to repost all my Sooyoung pics and gifs

paWMc.jpg

GgqYx.jpg

P8DXi.gif

dVzJU.gif

Best eater
Fnx5H.gif

ZtplN.jpg

qHBGW.gif
UHt8Z.gif

Worst athlete
uhymA.gif

msfgD.gif
kCcQ3.gif

YLWg1.gif
QyoTQ.gif

5WyQX.gif
qGqj3.gif

Yhp51.gif
7H6BS.gif

WQ3Sr.gif
EUZ7r.gif

erf9K.gif
ohL7g.gif

Alta1r

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

I got money on Dice. Peru's got the anger, but Dice got the brain. It'll be like ep.III Anakin v. Obi-Wan.

Hey wait a sec... isn't Eunjung's leg supposed to be in a cast? I hope CCM isn't making her perform before her injury heals 100% she was supposed to be out 6 for weeks.

EDIT: I guess she made the trip, I really wish she would get some rest ; ;

20120207095527714.jpg

Rest is for the weak. She got more than her 30 min just on the flight there.

Dice

Fancams show Eunjung in her outfit but not on stage. Aside from moral support and blah blah blah I can see her not wanting to miss out on a trip to Paris, injury or not.
man, she's so pretty.

CCM, you're off the hook... THIS TIME...

Peru

That's one of their party songs. They have plenty of other Pink-like songs that are trying to make a statement. Between the two types, there is a conflict of attitude. I much prefer the more self-assured one that matches their first EP.

I don't as long as the artist doesn't try to take it there. If they do, and especially if they do repeatedly and build a persona by it, I want to see some congruity between of thought, action, and word.

Inconsistency can be found in everyone and I certainly don't think it's especially pronounced with 2NE1. No, I feel even Ugly, clumsy and pretentious as it is, is about what they're always about.. I find it hard to accept you're criticizing this aspect of them when they're so consistently more fun lyrics-wise than almost all other k-pop artists, except maybe f(x), but that's because all their lyrics are written under the influence of acid.

'Ugly' is also the only example you have for your "Pink-like" argument, their self-assured anthem was their most popular of 2011 and what defined the year, and god knows being pretentious isn't the worst thing in the world. Better than being boring.

Alta1r

Damn I dunno how you guys can get into K-dramas. I watched 3 episodes of Dream High, 1st episode, middle episode where IU jump ropes the fat off, and the last one to see who K was. I don't think I missed much. I am going to try and watch the new Yoona drama but will probably get all ADD after 30 mins of episode 1. I'm afraid of watching Taengoo's guest spot as I already feel like screaming "HA JEE MAHL" seeing the teasers...never really gave a damn about Minho but the hate/jelliness is starting to form lol

I don't really get into dramas either. This is the first one I'm actually watching through. I think it's the comedy in this one. JYP and the White Entertainment President/mob boss dude are hilarious, my two favorite characters. Parts of it can get tedious. I usually switch to another tab when they actually start singing and all that, since I don't need to read what they're singing about. That being said, if these dramas were dubbed in English or something they'd be much more tempting to get into cause then I could do something else during the boring parts and still get the gist of what they're saying. Having to read it all kind of makes it hard to do that currently, lol. Although I guess dubbing it with different inflections and all that wouldn't do justice to the original.

And lolll @ the Minho comment. Watch yo back next time you post one of those Lee Seunggri pics/gifs.. =P

Lol, I love the captions in this, especially that second one.

JustinBB7

Pretty new IU video. God she's adorable.

Don't like the new hairstyle that is on allkpop though. Dunno if it's a wig or temp, but like her normal hairstyle a lot better.

Dice

Better than being boring.
Uhhh... about that... the thing is... most of their new stuff is boring.

Hold on a sec.
*makes necessary preparations for the direction the conversation is heading*
Okay.

yJDX3.jpg

Chesskid1

Banned
watching running man with suzy and jiyeon. jjang.

roly poly plays, jiyeon walks out, MCs cheer.
goodbye baby, suzy walks out, MCs cheer.
hot issue plays, they yell out hyuna, someone not hyuna walks out, MCs all sadface, one slams his hat down.

hahahah, so good.

edit: the pencil sharpening, this is hilarious trying to carry them. best RM ive seen.

sulli seems really cool too. <3, really liking suzy.

Quadratic

watching running man with suzy and jiyeon. jjang.

roly poly plays, jiyeon walks out, MCs cheer.
goodbye baby, suzy walks out, MCs cheer.
hot issue plays, they yell out hyuna, someone not hyuna walks out, MCs all sadface, one slams his hat down.

hahahah, so good.

It's Ace Ji Hyo, she's one of the guys at this point lol.
tumblr_lpo946EoxW1qdcel5o1_500.gif

She looked pretty hot in the schoolgirl uniform that episode :)

It's actually a throw back to an old Family Outing episode when Ji Hyo made a guest appearance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4gVNoU76g

Songs don't spring up out of the blue, they happen as sparks fly between performer and producer.

Sounds... magical.

Damn I dunno how you guys can get into K-dramas.

Objectively speaking it's pretty much all pretty shitty. Full of inconsistent characters and storylines, shitty directing, shitty acting, etc. Not sure why I enjoy it, probably just for the escapism. Whatever the reason, I do enjoy it. Enjoying it right now as a matter of a fact.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Damn, teachersshi channeling some serious Fany here:
1317697038647_1.jpg

Her talking to herself parts are hilarious.
You'll be seeing alot more Shi as the show goes on. I <3 her and you will too in the upcoming episodes :)

Alta1r

You'll be seeing alot more Shi as the show goes on. I <3 her and you will too in the upcoming episodes :)

Haha, yeah she's definitely been growing on me more and more. Watching her get flustered cause of Mr. Kang is great.

On a general note, I'm alternately amused and frustrated by how no one actually says anything directly to anybody else, but then everyone walks in on some other person or persons and secretly hears them having a conversation at pretty much exactly the right moment to get some more drama going. It's like everyone's a silent martyr but also exceptionally skilled at picking the right moment to eavesdrop.

tumblr_lyzgjfVn2w1qal0zgo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lyzgjfVn2w1qal0zgo2_r1_250.gif

Peru

I feel so sorry for the Stellar members, on every level. Time to call it quits, I think. Maybe they can resurface in another project.

Max

I am not Max
Got a little something in the mail just now...

5oDjh.jpg

No polaroid inside but a photo of the lovely miss Namjoo.

5DmQ5.jpg

My digital camera was broken some time ago so just shitty webcam pics...

omigosh it looks incredible, I hope mine arrives soon.

Gonna get dat Chomi polaroid.

Peru

Oh nothing in particular - their new song is lame, is a mess live, their label makes all the wrong PR moves, etc. Just one of those groups doomed to fail.

Alta1r

tumblr_lz5185GjJr1qj99ejo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lz5185GjJr1qj99ejo2_r1_250.gif

tumblr_lz5185GjJr1qj99ejo3_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lz5185GjJr1qj99ejo4_r1_250.gif

Dayam they move quick.

tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo1_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo2_r1_250.gif

tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo3_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo4_r1_250.gif

tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo5_r1_250.gif
tumblr_lz4y95hRt41qj99ejo6_r1_250.gif

Damn, I'm starting to just feel bad for Eunjung now. I think she's gotten dicked around the most and went through the most ridiculous roller coaster of any of the characters on this show. I like the Wae Ireoni they were playing in that cafe when SSD and HyeMi were grabbing some coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom