• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT4| Most Lurkers on GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellix

jwLvcyU.jpg

Hyeri leveling up.

RubyFaith

You're totally entitled to your opinion, doesn't mean everyone else thinks so too or that he's become the laughing stock of Korea.

Korea respects him, I know that. He's been around for 15 years and even though he got a bit of flack for his military service he was still forgiven. Me, personally, I find him an embarrassment to himself and his music now. He used to be wacky and fun but now he's a try hard trying to make people laugh more than enjoy his music which is generic and a regurgitation of itself.

tumblr_mdllkqV9q71qh8cvg.gif

ramyeon

Korea respects him, I know that. He's been around for 15 years and even though he got a bit of flack for his military service he was still forgiven. Me, personally, I find him an embarrassment to himself and his music now. He used to be wacky and fun but now he's a try hard trying to make people laugh more than enjoy his music which is generic and a regurgitation of itself.

tumblr_mdllkqV9q71qh8cvg.gif
Totally disagree.

I don't even really like Gangnam Style or Gentleman that much but I can't see things your way at all.

giri

I'd hope Kara got better. A year or two ago they were still answering in Korean in interviews and reading prompts when they had to speak Japanese lol.

BoA was always really good though.

Well, their schedule doesn't really leave a whole bunch of time for taking classes. And most people only "memorise" it. You really only learn a language if go and speak it conversationally. Which they would have by now after spending so much time there.

It'll be the same with all the other groups. I assume t-ara are fluent by now.

ramyeon

Well, their schedule doesn't really leave a whole bunch of time for taking classes. And most people only "memorise" it. You really only learn a language if go and speak it conversationally. Which they would have by now after spending so much time there.

It'll be the same with all the other groups. I assume t-ara are fluent by now.
Well yeah seeing as Kara seem to spend much more time in Japan than Korea I'd guess they should have gotten pretty good.

Soyeon seems pretty good, still seems like their interviews are memorised or they're reading off prompts sometimes since they have this blank stare and stumble with their words.

It's not a bad thing, it takes time to learn a language. Just silly to think they're all fluent because they can sing songs in Japanese that's all.

giri

I understand letters and hand drawn/home made presents but buying these rich people expensive stuff seems dumb. Glad Taeyang said that.

Sorta depends on if they're rookies or not too. Some of the rookie groups make bugger all.

But for the long term successful ones? yeah...

Particularly with sponsors throwing stuff at them too.

dokish

Banned
Well... I'm kinda sad...

I was singing along some korean songs to improve my reading speed, and I ended up inevitably going through some BoA songs... one thing led to another, and when I realized I was on Youtube almost crying watching old stuff... And I noticed how fucking awesome and Goddess BoA used to be. No, I'm not saying that she is bad now or that her music 'changed'. She indeed changed, but I see today only as a 'natural change'. She is more mature, so is her music... but now, you see, she is not just some "random woma"n singing in Japan, she is now in a big thing in Korea and she became less focused on her singing career.

I've been following her work for 10 years, and I still love her but I can't deny that her old music videos/stuff had SO MUCH MORE spark, life, fire. They were so vibrant, so vividly; any music video could urge you the will to dance (or cry, in the sad ones).

Maybe is just nostalgia that struck me, but come on... Her music videos were so well-made... damn...

Picking the really great ones, IMO:

#1 Listen to My Heart
#2 Valenti (She never beat this song... Nothing alike ever came out)
#3 Double
#4 Be The One
#5 Lose Your Mind
#6 EIEN (Best work in her entire career, IMO)
#7 Meri Kuri (Aaaand done)

Peru

She's releasing more stuff now than in a long time, the music is better, the videos are better, back then she released a lot of great stuff for sure but the videos were often pretty bad. So you're wrong.

ramyeon

You're missing BoA's best video ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloisKQd7TA

lol. Seriously though I loved this when I was young.

And Milky Way, hot damn that was my jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M48JMEkiu3Q

And no NO.1 means your list fails :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZc-5p3g1w

But I prefer old BoA too. I really loved her first 3 or 4 albums when they came out, although I was never very fond of her Japanese stuff at that time there was a lot more crossover between the two (Most of her inbetween albums in Korea included Korean versions of her Japanese hits). I'm starting to like her newer stuff more recently but it doesn't have that nostalgic charm that her first 3 albums do for me.

At that time we could only find shitty quality wma files online and tiny music videos in wmv or asf quality haha. I remember my childhood friend was going to Korea for a trip and I forced him to buy me all of BoAs albums. Still have them lying around, they're probably long out of print now.

giri

She's releasing more stuff now than in a long time, the music is better, the videos are better, back then she released a lot of great stuff for sure but the videos were often pretty bad. So you're wrong.

I don't suggest this lightly. But. You MAY be slightly biased.

dokish

Banned
If by 'pretty bad' you mean they were kinda cheesy... Yes, I agree. But only because the production values changed so much in the last 10 years.

Now everything is more about being 'sexy', 'living the good life', 'expensive shit everywhere'. BoA's MVs for a long time remained with that 90's goofy style, and that's the reason I like it so much.

I'm not no sure that she is releasing more stuff now. Is she?

Between 2002 and 2006 she produced SOOO MUCH good stuff. Japanese and Korean albums. SHE DID TONS OF TOURS!!! This era is where the best songs of her came from.

You have a gap between 2005 and 2010, where she didn't released any korean album, and her presence kinda decreased in Japan.

I don't know the reason. Maybe because girl groups flooded the pop music scenario? The japanese taste shifted? I don't know. I know for sure that no matter where BoA perform, she will always be the Queen of Asia that will gather thousands of people.

Girls on Top I think it was her last GREAT GRAT GREAT creation. Like I said to you in Korea, 'Only One' was her first attempt to do something similar to EIEN, which was so brilliant, and she quite succeed.

But I still miss having several songs to listen daily, instead of one great hit in repeat.

But I understand she is now a legend, she has been working since she was 12 basically, so its time to relax. I couldn't be happier that she is in K-Pop Star, but still... you know, I miss the good old days. Maybe is nostalgia after all.

And no NO.1 means your list fails :(

But I prefer old BoA too. I really loved her first 3 or 4 albums when they came out, although I was never very fond of her Japanese stuff at that time there was a lot more crossover between the two (Most of her inbetween albums in Korea included Korean versions of her Japanese hits). I'm starting to like her newer stuff more recently but it doesn't have that nostalgic charm that her first 3 albums do for me.

At that time we could only find shitty quality wma files online and tiny music videos in wmv or asf quality haha. I remember my childhood friend was going to Korea for a trip and I forced him to buy me all of BoAs albums. Still have them lying around, they're probably long out of print now.

No.1 is so obvious that was left out on purpose.

Haha, I still remember downloading 'Amazing Kiss' and 'Every Heart' on KaZaA.

ramyeon

Haha, I still remember downloading 'Amazing Kiss' and 'Every Heart' on KaZaA.
Before Kazaa it was so hard to find stuff. There were a few dedicated kpop communities around back then but without youtube, hosting sites like mediafire etc it was so difficult.

And yeah I agree man, 90s and early 00s was the best. I have a huge soft spot for 90s-early 00s kpop.

Peru

Well BoA's new videos are not exactly " about being 'sexy', 'living the good life', 'expensive shit everywhere'"

Yes she had a long break, that was a time to complain, and even maybe when she came back with Hurricane Venus, which was kinda the type of song everyone could've done. Although that album was actually very, very good. Only One is a good album as well. So now she's releasing great singles and great albums.

She'll never get back to the commercial peak she had in Japan - the good thing is she's continuing doing her thing, dancing her ass off, finding her own sound, etc.

Did you hear her new Japanese single? Some TV show theme. It's not nearly as good as Only One / Disturbance but maybe more similar to her older, lighter JP pop http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyn2kw_yy-boa-tail-of-hope-1yyy_music#.UWo9ibV7Iuc

dokish

Banned
Well BoA's new videos are not exactly " about being 'sexy', 'living the good life', 'expensive shit everywhere'"

Did you hear her new Japanese single? Some TV show theme. It's not nearly as good as Only One / Disturbance but maybe more similar to her older, lighter JP pop http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyn2kw_yy-boa-tail-of-hope-1yyy_music#.UWo9ibV7Iuc

Sorry. My message about the MVs wasn't entirely clear. What I meant was, the "direction" of music videos (world-wise) in the last years changed so much that now I think is hard for BoA to produce any original and fun MV, like the old ones. The old ones were pretty unique, but now because things are different, she can't come up with anything that's "new and appealing".

Disturbance and Only One are good, but they are kinda in the same line that EIEN was. I'm still expecting something else (this is not me criticizing, just saying it!).

I didn't knew about this new single, I will check it out right now!

EDIT: The Shadow and Not Over U are awesome and no matter how many times I listen, I always get the chills. The Shadow sounds like 'old BoA' and Not Over U, dat vocals.

Chesskid1

Banned
Bro, chill out.

Anyway, new Psy song is awesome IMO. I don't really get the hate.

sorry :p

i like it too!

i think it's going to fall off pretty quickly, tho. don't see him getting half the amount of gigs he did last time with gangnam style (ellen show, tons of appearances) which def kept all the views coming, but it will still be a decent success (internationally).

vanty

That Sexy Love song is actually ok apart from the hilarious rap that sounds less human than the vocaloid anime girl. If that new girl can't rap just stop making her do it instead of trying to hide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom