• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

ryan-ts

Suzy is still in Miss A...

Kwang-soo+Egg+Smash.gif

giri

Actually enjoying the new miss A album more than I expected to, considering how off on idol music I've been recently.

Wish there was more new stuff on it though. I really hate that in the past few years kpop (idol) albums have largely become compilations of previous minis with new songs tacked on at the start.

Thats not a k-pop specific thing. It's been done in other areas of music for a long time. Cheap way to get people to re-buy whole sections of music :| it's part of why they resisted the ability to buy just single songs so much.

ramyeon

Thats not a k-pop specific thing. It's been done in other areas of music for a long time. Cheap way to get people to re-buy whole sections of music :| it's part of why they resisted the ability to buy just single songs so much.
Oh I'm not saying it's a kpop specific thing, but it is a new thing in kpop. In the past the whole album of new material would come out and then songs would be promoted from that album, opposite to how I remember the Japanese industry doing things (Releasing singles in the lead up to an album and promoting those). Any loose releases that didn't end up on an official album would usually be compiled into ".5" releases that usually were just compilations of b-sides, featurings etc. Then those ".5" releases eventually became repackages with only a couple of new songs tacked on.

Just sayin' I miss the old way of doing things, that's all haha.

The biggest reason the Kpop industry doesn't like the digital music market is because of how little money they can make from it. It's already bad enough that physical CDs can be as cheap as 10,000won or less, but digital is next to nothing. That's why all the packaging and bonuses with physical stuff is so extravagant, it's an attempt to appeal to collectors and hardcore fans to buy physical instead of digital.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Then why does it suck. This isn't the Miss A I know, or a good alternative.

giri

Oh I'm not saying it's a kpop specific thing, but it is a new thing in kpop. In the past the whole album of new material would come out and then songs would be promoted from that album, opposite to how I remember the Japanese industry doing things (Releasing singles in the lead up to an album and promoting those). Any loose releases that didn't end up on an official album would usually be compiled into ".5" releases that usually were just compilations of b-sides, featurings etc. Then those ".5" releases eventually became repackages with only a couple of new songs tacked on.

Just sayin' I miss the old way of doing things, that's all haha.

The biggest reason the Kpop industry doesn't like the digital music market is because of how little money they can make from it. It's already bad enough that physical CDs can be as cheap as 10,000won or less, but digital is next to nothing. That's why all the packaging and bonuses with physical stuff is so extravagant, it's an attempt to appeal to collectors and hardcore fans to buy physical instead of digital.

Oh, I've seen the figures for the online sales in korea. That shit is criminally cheap. Particularly for the subscription services.

ramyeon

Oh, I've seen the figures for the online sales in korea. That shit is criminally cheap. Particularly for the subscription services.
Yeah, Mnet offers 150 songs for 12,500 won a month. - 150 high quality mp3s for less than an album on iTunes costs haha. And that's actually after last year's price rises. Unlimited streaming and 150 mp3s is only 15,500 won lol.

Sad thing is most Koreans think that's on the pricey side, and it kinda is compared to what I was paying for Mnet last year. Still criminal though.

kingkitty

New miss A song is fine. It's a bit low key. Still prefer a Jay Y Pee joint over this but oh well.

I'm just glad the rest of the group gets to eat now.

neoism

1391175_177529119117602_1643710034_n.jpg

taeyeon: 눈에 다래끼났어
[TRANS] http://t.co/pwOQOCnRSn i got a stye on my eye
:(

d091547e46a911e38daa22000a9e5187_8.jpg

taeyeon: 내 뒤에 뭐가 있는거같아... ..........는 하나도 안무서운서주현
[TRANS] http://t.co/fRVgoHrbw5 i think there’s something behind me... ……….yeah right. not scary at all seo juhyun

luso

Hush is ok, the chorus is what makes the song, otherwise is far of overwhelming.
Agree with the MV editing.

iYDNIPxOU6BUt.jpg

jEZ509poUR7hL.jpg

iVnACC1ZmpqJA.jpg

j3UvJcVqCUDuZ.jpg

jbgU5BjxpkbEVB.jpg

imew4jhX4vC2z.jpg

vanty

I thought Hush was just alright when I watched the MV but after listening to the song a few more times I'm liking it quite a bit.

And it means the actual kpop goddess will tweet more for promotions

oeBuEil.jpg

Kabuto

welp I just listened to Hush and it is a good song so now I have to listen to all of Miss A's songs. Any recommendations for a first time Miss A listener?

isuzu

Happy 23th birthday, Kris/Yifan/Jiaheng/Kevin/Duizhang. Bless you for having huge yaoi hands, being really tall (6'3 is huge for me, ok), embarrassing but endearing, unintentionally hilarious and a softie. Noona loves you (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
ax3D4kG.jpg

0QWFmzg.gif

duizhang (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

OnUMCwR.png

c7QxNy0.png
9ZiZlAN.png

tZR0HNI.png
N2KQwk7.png

rTjU5TT.gif
NN5BHdq.gif

8bFUsmo.gif

SbBEEaz.gif
S4dbEdN.gif

pvPA0oW.gif

kynhLsJ.png

VMpnyrR.png

TGAbEfW.jpg
pYRNym8.jpg

I stole all this from tumblr ヽ(ー_ー )ノ

For my Kriscasso
YHspNqi.jpg

B1vNKEE.jpg

8ceKKd8.jpg

Who is also better than Legolas
Wumf2sX.gif

Can't Female President
YWbyHbm.gif

Also can't Bar Bar Bar
sM3V9z3.gif

But corrects MCs on the night of his debut
Q2ZPu6o.gif

Proud Canadian
nkNTgHv.jpg

Who actually hates his idol life but we love you, Krease
l1gDfuf.gif

No No Eul

Fuck that MV direction. So many jarring cuts, can't grasp the hotness. As for the song, it's pretty minimalist. Will have to really absorb it to know my feels.

New miss A song is fine. It's a bit low key. Still prefer a Jay Y Pee joint over this but oh well.

Agreed on the whole minimalist / low key thing. I was waiting for the song to really gather momentum, which it does to an extent I guess, but not as much as I was expecting or hoping. I like it well enough but if somone were to remix it with more intrumentation and/or a stronger beat, I think I'd like it a lot more.

Shame about the editing in the MV. It's still pretty hnnng-tastic though.

ibbnaAl7PS73ws.jpg

iGiqsi5zw4EEV.jpg

ibsfgFXpc5s8lG.jpg

iWsIiE0CgFX6z.jpg

Ludicrously Large ver.

Eldren

Agreed on the whole minimalist / low key thing. I was waiting for the song to really gather momentum, which it does to an extent I guess, but not as much as I was expecting or hoping. I like it well enough but if somone were to remix it with more intrumentation and/or a stronger beat, I think I'd like it a lot more.

I really like the song but this is exactly what I first thought. It feels like there's a huge build up and it's not until 2mins into the song that it really picks up. It's good though, I'm a fan (except for that weird "aha!" at 2:30, that's just odd.) And yes they did look beautiful, although it was hard to appreciate the outfits, the sets, the choreography etc because of the hyper editing. What an awful trend. T-ara, their impact.

Eldren

Sooyoung's wall of selcas said:

Oh my god

93e3c1bdjw1eablp3lva5g20780914qs.gif

We have some Australians here, right? Go say hi to Ellin!

Queens:
tumblr_mvtu5oqhvV1ran2kvo1_500.gif

I really need to learn how to make gifs instead of pinching these messy tumblr gifs. Is there a program that's relatively simple to use that still gives great results? Gifcam is simple but it's not the highest quality.

luso

tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo1_250.gif
tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo2_250.gif

tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo3_250.gif
tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo4_250.gif

tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo5_250.gif
tumblr_mvumq8uvdI1r61yvqo6_250.gif

No simple program to make quality gifs...
The most approximately is to have video files, HQ is preferable (e.g. mp4 from YT) and use photoshop to use the wanted frames and save to gif. If you don't have photoshop, use another application to create the images for the gifs (eg. avidemux) and paint shop pro animation to create the gif. Other methods can be more complex without practice, like this one https://gist.github.com/aeukqegoih/a4850775fef55866bc08

Pendulum

MBC Korean Music Wave in Singapore has been cancelled due to the organiser having "unforeseen circumstances including contractual difficulties with our co-producer, MBC".

Show would have included "TaeTiSeo as hosts as well as a lineup including: SHINee, TEEN TOP, B1A4, B.A.P, 2PM, 2AM, F.T. Island, EXO, IU, SISTAR, KARA, miss A, and 4minute."

------

M&N teaser

Best adult-dol.

MBC Korean Music Wave in Singapore has been cancelled due to the organiser having "unforeseen circumstances including contractual difficulties with our co-producer, MBC".

Show would have included "TaeTiSeo as hosts as well as a lineup including: SHINee, TEEN TOP, B1A4, B.A.P, 2PM, 2AM, F.T. Island, EXO, IU, SISTAR, KARA, miss A, and 4minute."

That means ticket sales were crap, so they pulled the plug.

Speaking of which, Super Juniors London concert doesn't seem to be doing well. Still not sold out and loads of websites seem to have competitions giving tickets away.

-----------------

2NE1 Minzy is doing the touristy stuff around london:
UGumMOn.jpg

Chesskid1

Banned

That means ticket sales were crap, so they pulled the plug.

With the latest announcement of the cancellation of StarHub Presents MBC Korean Music Wave in Singapore. I took the initiative to do some digging around ourselves. And the numbers I have found were unbelievable. While I feel the unjust and unhappiness from the infuriated fans, I think that you should take some time, clear your head, and carry on reading.

MBC has requested for the local promoter to pay SGD$900,000+ in full. Yes, SGD$900,000+ was paid to MBC months before the artists land on our shores. The outstanding line-up of 13 artist groups and 1 solo act also translates to hefty sums paid to a 5-star hotel in Singapore. Next, imagine paying for business-class seats for all the huge line-up of artists, 13 groups and 1 solo. (For younger fans, each business-class seat on an International Airline costs around SGH$4,000 to SGD$5,000).

You may think, that if a promoter signed up for this, he is liable to undertake everything. That is very true. Unfortunately for the fans, a promoter is never a charitable organization. Quality concerts require a lot of things and theses costs will be passed on to the consumers. Why are KPop concerts so much more expensive in Singapore as compared to Thailand or Jakarta or even Korea itself? Simple, everything in Singapore costs as least twice as much as the same thing found anywhere else in the world.
If you ever wonder why the tickets were so expensive, this is your reason.

So after paying MBC the fees, what came next? The cost of the production. Through some connections in the industry, I found out that the cost of production went up by an astonishing 6-figure sum just 1 week before the concert was supposed to start. I daresay, that unless this was a government-funded event, no promoter would be naïve enough to carry on with this Korean bullshit.

With 71 artists coming, MBC definitely demanded for a crazy hospitality package. I’m sure everyone has read The Straits Times article regarding SM Town World Tour in Singapore where the promoter disclosed the number of bottles, towels and what not required backstage. Again, I poked my nose into things and these are what I found:

• MBC expects the promoter to get 120 full-length mirrors for the artists
• MBC expects the promoter to get 15 garment steamers
• MBC expects the promoter to hire at least 30 buses to run the concert
• MBC even expects the promoter to source for a convertible just for the MCs to make a grand entrance (i.e A DAMN SPORTS CAR)
• MBC requests for a 15-dish International catering with 3 Korean side dishes for the crew

The numbers don’t end there, but I think I shall not to scare you further.

Now, we turn towards the more technical side of things – the nature of the partnership.

As with any business partnerships, one would expect negotiations, discussions, some kind of consideration and at the least, hospitality. I have confidence that local promoters are all adequate in these aspects. However, I can’t say the same towards their counterparts.

The cancellation of StarHub Presents MBC Korean Music Wave in Singapore is not solely the failure of the promoter. Those who blame promoters in general, shame on you. Economics, society and even the Internet, have made the Hallyu wave this way. And what made matters worse, is that the target audience of this trend are generally not people who can afford this. Many promoters, greedy or not, have sought to take on crazy projects to satisfy the demands and plea from the fans. Yet it does not seem that the Korean entertainment industry is humbled by the many invitations. On the contrary, they have become more brazen with each invitation, and when a rookie group requests for something that Big Bang is entitled to request, you know the industry is sinking into a whirlpool.

Just to illustrate the craziness of everything:
• No single promoter has ever done SMTown twice in her lifetime;
• MAMA was a huge failure (in terms of ticket sales) in Singapore;
• Asia Super Showcase in Malaysia was cancelled days before the event;
• 2NE1’s New Evolution tour in Malaysia and Jakarta were cancelled due to technical issues (but we all know the real reason behind it, don’t we?)
• The 2nd night of Super Show 5 in Singapore was cancelled;
• RITS did not even dare to plan for a 2nd night of the SNSD’s Girls and Peace tour in Singapore.

The Korean artists are so well versed in PR, that they have made fans believe that they really love their fans. Well, yes, to a certain extent. These artists certainly love the money that comes from their fans. But who really benefits from all these? The Korean Entertainment companies, of course.

giri

Weren't the tickets only $100?

If a concert has 4 groups you actually want to see, that's a $100 concert in AU. Easily. Probably $135.

Chesskid1

Banned
$550 to $150 allllll the way in the back, with several tiers inbetween

the logistics of these concerts with like 15 acts are a nightmare i must imagine + splitting the money like 100 ways

It'll be interesting to see the split between MBC, the korean music companies and the artist.

I can see from the korean companies side of view of wanting to make money on concerts if they're making less on selling albums/singles, but the price they demand is crazy.

Super Junior's London concert standing tickets cost £160 /$257 USD

For comparison these bands are playing the same venue as SJ a week later and are charging the following for standing tickets:

Bullet for My Valentine - £28.25
Queens of the Stone Age - £39.75
Sigur Rós - £37.25

luso

Interesting figures. I would think that at least some of the earnings could be capitalized later in the future, somehow as investment, for both promoters, the artists and their agencies and in this case also MBC, either by gaining publicity, local and homeland awareness, in order to decrease a little the final price the customer has to pay and therefore even more people can assist at the events. In some countries the local currency doesn't help as well the target audience is not totally monetary independently.

What I mean that if all parts accept lowering some of the demands, as some of those described (!) all parts would gain something, but I guess it comes all to the greedy appetite of all parts (not sure about the artists themselves in here), with a mix of blown-up self awareness, if they were more modest in these overseas events these cancellations could be at least be less frequent.

Top Bottom