• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

llehuty

Maybe T-ara did this to her.

What if the k-pop gaf crew caused all of this at the U.S. fansign last year.

Edit: New info on 9Muses digital single.

[TRANS] @9muses Daum Fancafe (Nov,26th):

Good Afternoon.
This is 9Muses Represantative.

After releasing their First Full-Length Album [PRIMA DONNA] on Oct,14th this year, 9Muses will comeback on Dec,4th with (Glue).

The Digital Single (Glue) was made by Sweetune and it´s a Song about how hard a Breakup can be.

It´s a Dance Song, which incorporates some Retro, Funky and Disco Sounds!

They upgraded their sexiness and will be coming back with an even more brilliant performance on Dec,4th.
We ask for a lot of attention and support for 9Muses follow-up activities with their Digital Single (Glue)!

Thank you.

Yes, yes, yes!!

Ym1r

Wait, how do 9m get sexier?

There's only one way... They ditch the clothes for lingerie. Lee Sam can keep her clothes though, actually she can just chill to the side of their music video or something.

There's only one way... They ditch the lingerie for invisible clothes. Lee Sam can keep her giant North Face coat on though, actually she can just chill to the side of their music video or something.

llehuty

There's only one way... They ditch the clothes for lingerie. Lee Sam can keep her clothes though, actually she can just chill to the side of their music video or something.

thumbs_up__running_man_gif_by_blake4monthsss-d5fz6xi.gif

Cuddler

Another week, another awesome cover by 2BiC, this time is the song called "Heaven" originally singed by Jamie Foxx:
2BiC - Heaven (Original by Jamie Foxx)
Please listen to this, it's really really impressive, it's incredible how good he is.

I figure this is as good a place to ask as any. I've searched for a specific thread on this, with no luck.

How the heck do I go about learning Korean? Anything you guys used with success would be great, as would any pointers and whatnot.

Oh, and Hello! I lurk this thread a LOT, but I don't think I've ever posted. Guess I never really have anything all that interesting to say :)

Hello! Welcome! I've watched the majority of these lessons, I think they were good, the professor is really funny sometimes. Now I don't remember anything anymore, but that's my fault obviously, since I basically stopped learning.

No No Eul

Fiestar TV show incoming.

iP9MNs82umCNL.jpg

I love the alternative version they released without the worthless rap halfway through. So much better.

Speaking of which...

Who's doing the K-Pop GAF Awards 2013 part 2?

We're getting really close to the end of the year so I think it's about time lol.

Yeah I've been giving it some thought. I'll probably put one together unless someone else wants to give it a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NJ3m3xTrlc

New Younha video for a bonus track version of Run included on the new mini.

Love it. Shame it's not longer.

Fei & Jia said:

Yuri X Yeon Hee said:

Chorong said:

Pendulum

What if the k-pop gaf crew caused all of this at the U.S. fansign last year.

I think it's been a long time coming, unfortunately. At that fan event though, I do remember seeing footage of her coming back to the main room, looking spaced out, after losing track of everyone. Off chasing ghosts?

As I previously said, I hope she gets the level of care she needs. Going to be tough in Korea though.

------

Infinite performing in town at the Hammersmith tonight. You going, broadwayrock?

I was going to go, but several computer parts dying within a few weeks of each other + buying christmas presents means i'm out of cash for the rest of the year.

Pendulum

LOEN, in continuing to upload the T-ara back catalogue, has translated "처음처럼" (Cheoeum Cheoreom/Like the First Time) as "Like a virgin". :D Others have new LOEN translations too.

BaFJ-KyCYAAjtsw.jpg:large

Eldren

빅스(VIXX) - '저주인형' 안무 연습 영상 (Practice 'VOODOO' dancing Video)

Enjoy the 2nd best choreography of the year as it was meant to be: one camera only and with uncensored "stabbing".

I wasn't a fan of the official MV so I'm really glad they did another dance video. Great choreo as expected. What happened to Ken though? He looked good in the Hyde dance video but lately he's been looking...I dunno, he looks like kind of ill. Like he's lost a lot of weight and has become a bit gaunt.

Is Dolls the best choreo of the year?

-----

Really looking forward to whatever Glue turns out to be. Prima Donna is already one of my most played albums this year so I'm very excited for new Muses.

Sooyoung said:

LOEN, in continuing to upload the T-ara back catalogue, has translated "처음처럼" (Cheoeum Cheoreom/Like the First Time) as "Like a virgin". :D Others have new LOEN translations too.

Ive always found it odd how Core Contents was so backwards towards youtube with most of T-ara's early videos being uploaded by fans and Loen's T-ara videos seem sourced from an non anamorphic dvd (hence the huge black borders)

s4l4vLA.gif

giri

Oh, i'd already started on a EOY kpop voting thing.

But there's a few releases to go so wasn't posting it till mid December or so.

luso

Yeah, better doing it at least 2 weeks from now.

I guess the comeback Taeyeon said was about their Japanese album and/or year end appearances.

Seohyun will be in a musical and Yoona is filming a drama, no time (yet) for korean comeback.

caesar

Banned
She looks terrible lately. She should go back to her healthy Bubble Pop look.

Were you the one that moved recently to South Korea? How is everything there?

Yeah, I moved 3 1/2 months ago. Everything is going well thanks! Finally settled in, teaching is generally cool here. The kids are quite well behaved, I mean I get a few little shits but mostly just kudos for being the waygook. Korea in general has its good and bad points but mostly its pretty good.

And damn, it's hard to put into words the amount of EXO fangirls there are in the schools here i.e 99% of the girls I teach pretty much have their logo plastered around their schoolbooks. Feel sorry for them in a way, the pressure they have on them to look as perfect as possible is kind of absurd. (Talking about the girls, not EXO)

Loci

Feel sorry for them in a way, the pressure they have on them to look as perfect as possible is kind of absurd. (Talking about the girls, not EXO)

What age range are you referring to? Is the beauty craze that severe in Korean society?

caesar

Banned
What age range are you referring to? Is the beauty craze that severe in Korean society?

11-14 (13-16 Korean age). Yes, I believe so for boys too. Well, at first it seems to be not much different from the west. I mean, the media there is saturated by perfect looking people right? Well, something is different about Korea, I'm not sure if it's the general affordability and accessibility of plastic surgery or what. Also they're obsessed with this certain homogenized type of beauty, I'm sure you remember those beauty contest pictures where the women look pretty much identical.

But these things combined with the pressure of status and tests, their entire school career basically builds up to one week in which they have to ace all their tests in order to get into a good university which will determine how successful they become. Qualifications are extremely important here and the definitions of success are pretty linear. Go to university, become salaryman, get married, raise a family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Scholastic_Ability_Test (It's telling that one of the related pages is also "Suicide in South Korea".)

I think if you mix all these things together and add in the confucianism it goes some way in explaining the very high suicide rate, although it doesn't account for the old people.

Anyway, it helps me be more lax with the kids when I know this stuff. Sometimes I just let 'em sleep if I know they have after school classes until 10 PM.

ramyeon

11-14 (13-16 Korean age). Yes, I believe so for boys too. Well, at first it seems to be not much different from the west. I mean, the media there is saturated by perfect looking people right? Well, something is different about Korea, I'm not sure if it's the general affordability and accessibility of plastic surgery or what. Also they're obsessed with this certain homogenized type of beauty, I'm sure you remember those beauty contest pictures where the women look pretty much identical.
I disagree that it's as much an issue for men as women in Korea. It really isn't. The thing is beauty is all seen as a means to an end. Koreans are generally all extremely well educated and the huge majority end up going to really good universities and all applying for the same jobs at the same companies. If you end up going for a job where there are 100s of other applicants who all also graduated from a SKY university and have the exact same qualifications as you and performed just as well in the interview - it'll generally come down to whose resume has the better photo.

That's the largest reason why women go for surgery before applying for jobs (Usually just out of high school - that's where the whole parents giving daughters money for surgery as a graduation gift thing comes from), and also why the resume profile photo industry is so booming.

The reason it is not so much of an issue for men is because, sadly, men are far more likely to be chosen over women for many jobs still. Essentially because men are seen as a better long term investment as women are expected to retire once they get pregnant and leave to raise a family. It's an old fashioned way of thinking that is going to lead to similar birth rate issues that plague Japan. It may be slowly changing but it is still very much an issue.

It makes sense that their beauty standards are more homogenised since Korea is a largely homogenous society while (I'm assuming you're comparing it with America) America's population is significantly more diverse and multicultural.

caesar

Banned
I disagree that it's as much an issue for men as women in Korea. It really isn't. The thing is beauty is all seen as a means to an end. Koreans are generally all extremely well educated and the huge majority end up going to really good universities and all applying for the same jobs at the same companies. If you end up going for a job where there are 100s of other applicants who all also graduated from a SKY university and have the exact same qualifications as you and performed just as well in the interview - it'll generally come down to whose resume has the better photo.

That's the largest reason why women go for surgery before applying for jobs (Usually just out of high school - that's where the whole parents giving daughters money for surgery as a graduation gift thing comes from), and also why the resume profile photo industry is so booming.

The reason it is not so much of an issue for men is because, sadly, men are far more likely to be chosen over women for many jobs still. Essentially because men are seen as a better long term investment as women are expected to retire once they get pregnant and leave to raise a family. It's an old fashioned way of thinking that is going to lead to similar birth rate issues that plague Japan. It may be slowly changing but it is still very much an issue.

It makes sense that their beauty standards are more homogenised since Korea is a largely homogenous society while (I'm assuming you're comparing it with America) America's population is significantly more diverse and multicultural.

Yeah that's true, I suppose they feel it in a different way.

And I was comparing it to the UK, but yeah that's way more diverse and multicultural anyway.

dokish

Banned

And I was comparing it to the UK, but yeah that's way more diverse and multicultural anyway.

Peru is leaving Korea soon, I'll be lonely.

Give me your kakaotalk id, let's meet and have some fun!

Loci

The thing is beauty is all seen as a means to an end.

It's kinda controversial, isn't it? Pressure to succeed is one thing in aspiring societies but combined with the superficial beauty addiction it's just sad.
Since Koreans are so well educated why do they still focus so much on looks? Is the competition of highly educated student that severe that their appearance is the last and deciding factor when it comes to jobs? Seems unreal for me.

Pendulum

Peru is leaving Korea soon, I'll be lonely.

Give me your kakaotalk id, let's meet and have some fun!

Also, are you allergic to rope, caesar?

------

ya'll knew it was coming but DSP confirmed nicole's departure

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2981128

Last paragraph about sums it up.

Officials in the music industry are saying the group’s future will likely hinge on Kang’s decision. Many think that Kara could withstand losing one member, but two may be a deathblow.

However, I still wouldn't put it past DSP in finding replacements and continuing on. They'll probably see it easier as promoting Kara in this form than paying attention to Rainbow.

------

Edit:

catmincer

I'll await dsp moving some members from rainbow. (Jaekyung and Woori I'll bet on) to Kara. Might as well cut their losses with rainbow.

luso

Sad for Kara, let's see if they go for the Jewelry route in case Jiyoung also goes, or if they stick with 4. An addition would not stick, 8 years after debut and 5 years and half since new Hara/Jiyoung is a lot of time, specially because 99% of people only knows the 5 member group, not the 4, and 5-kara era is the period when they got success.

5-Kara was my first getaway even before soshi, so while I not follow them as much as before, it's a pity. We all know one day the groups disband but like this, stupid DSP!?

Two down from the (2007) big three, only soshi left?

Eldren

Happy thanksgiving to those who celebrate it! To those of us who don't...well it's Friday tomorrow, one day closer to the weekend! That's worth celebrating to me.

Is thanksgiving big in Korea? Or is it just an excuse to eat a bunch of food and drink a load of alcohol? Because:

A woman named Sun Ji Hong said:

Yes Hyo! Look at that window sill covered in booze bottles. Attagirl.

Isuzu, are those 3 your favourite members?

Happy thanksgiving to those who celebrate it! To those of us who don't...well it's Friday tomorrow, one day closer to the weekend! That's worth celebrating to me.

Is thanksgiving big in Korea? Or is it just an excuse to eat a bunch of food and drink a load of alcohol? Because:

Woopwoop, bring on the weekend. I'm guessing Thanksgiving is a real big thing over in the US? Most of our national holidays seem to be more of an excuse to get hammered rather than what they're for. (UK)

ramyeon

Isuzu, are those 3 your favourite members?
Thanksgiving is not even a thing there, is it even a thing anywhere outside of the US? It is a very specifically American celebration isn't it? They just tweeted for American fans.

Korea does have a Harvest Moon festival that is often mistranslated as Thanksgiving called Chuseok but it's not the same date.

Top Bottom