• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

llehuty

Girl's day and other artists at M Countdown hangout cam backstage

BTW, Mnet now uploads M!Countdown and other music related videos at the new PlayMnet channel including Dal Shabet comeback stage or a [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo74B8WJiMo"]performance of that great Younha song that roaSone just linked.[/URL]

The song is starting to grow on me (It felt a bit too much 80s at first). I totally agree with what Dice and Peru are saying, it doesn't feel Dal Shabet. I get that they are after a mature concept and it suits them, but the transition after all that bright and cutesy releases it's a bit rough. I feel Girls' Day did this jump to mature concept better releasing "Don't forget me" before going full mature/sexy route. They could also be sexy and cute at the same time, but not everyone can pull that off.

tumblr_mug0snfkPA1qaf4i7o3_250.gif

Anyway, I think this is the type of thing it would have suited a subunit. I have yet to listen to the mini album, but IMO they should stick to mature now, they can't top cute anthem "Have don't have".

dokish

Banned
Darn, Dal Shabet look hot as they never did before. Where the full is Subin though? I'm having a hard time trying to spot her.

ramyeon

I saw that on tumblr. It looks sooo fake. (Also, that 12.2013 date...) Maybe Glue was originally part of a Primadona repackage album, but they decided to release it as digital single instead.
The blog linked as a source is someone who photoshops their own jacket designs etc so yeah, it's fake.

I don't suppose asking for recommendations would be a bad idea?

I'm a really bit fan of electropop and EDM. And I was hoping to find some more in the Kpop world.

I don't suppose there is a Korean version of Perfume, so speak?

Oh, by the way, if it wasn't apparent already, I'm a really big fan of E.via/Tymee. It's always nice to come across female rappers. And I also really like how much electronic dance music influence her music has. I really like the Tymee mixes really cute material, talented rapping, and electro and techno influences. I'd love to be able to come across more artists like Tymee.

I also like Indie Pop and Electroclash. Being able to discover more out of South Korea would be really nice.

Pendulum

I saw that on tumblr. It looks sooo fake. (Also, that 12.2013 date...) Maybe Glue was originally part of a Primadona repackage album, but they decided to release it as digital single instead.

The blog linked as a source is someone who photoshops their own jacket designs etc so yeah, it's fake.

Good job checking source, Naver.

In any case, in some kind of attempt to cover my folly...

Erin said:
연습하고왔지.엉덩이 아프다..굿나잇여러분
Trans: Came from practice. My hip hurts.. Good night everyone
They weren't on the list earlier, but after 4 songs last year, I'd expect a comeback in the 1st quarter of the year.

ramyeon

What you linked is that person's blog on Naver, not a news article :p

Can't see any news on Naver about a comeback, so obviously Tumblr has seen this and not realised it's someone's personal digital editing blog and spread it around.

giri

In any case, in some kind of attempt to cover my folly...

They weren't on the list earlier, but after 4 songs last year, I'd expect a comeback in the 1st quarter of the year.

Rania have a comeback due soon too, but they're not listed there.

That of course could be because it's a USA only come back. Ugh.

Peru

I'm a really bit fan of electropop and EDM. And I was hoping to find some more in the Kpop world.

Oh, by the way, if it wasn't apparent already, I'm a really big fan of E.via/Tymee. It's always nice to come across female rappers. And I also really like how much electronic dance music influence her music has. I really like the Tymee mixes really cute material, talented rapping, and electro and techno influences. I'd love to be able to come across more artists like Tymee.

I also like Indie Pop and Electroclash. Being able to discover more out of South Korea would be really nice.

I'm sure lots of people will give you suggestions on kpop and k indie. Just wanted to drop a recc on a female rnb/hiphop crew, if you like female rappers etc.. they producer their own shit, just started up last year but already dropped some hot tracks:

Nieah - Belief http://youtu.be/li7kUuy_nhc
Kitti B - Wake Me Up http://youtu.be/w2MvLbt4F-s
Hoody - My Ride http://youtu.be/QJZFndxn9oc

https://www.facebook.com/Amourette2013

Although they're all just getting started so no big discographies to speak of like e.via. Some features and tracks to find though. Also KittiB was part of a diss battle e.via also was in on https://soundcloud.com/kittib/kittib-im-a-woman

There's other good hip hop and female hip hop as well although no one really doing the witty satirical stuff the way e.via did.. her newest single a bit more serious than I like it.

llehuty

LMAOOO
I did it :p

I don't think there is a korean version of Perfume
sadly.
And I don't think there's a mainstream k-pop group that sticks to EDM tracks only. This are my recomendations (Mainstream picks and only 2012-1013, the years I control)

Popish EDM
Kim Sori - Dual Life
BoA - Action
Nine Muses - News
Nine Muses - Wild
After School - Flashback
After School - Shh <--- technically j-pop
Rania - Style
Lee Jung Hyun - V
Chi Chi - Love is energy (Areia Remix) RIP :'(

Indie stuff
Neon Bunny - Oh my prince
Smells - Listen to your heart (ft. Neon Bunny)
Clazzi - Love&Hate
Glen Check - Young generation
Glen Check - Vivid
Mirror Boy - Wherever
Mirror Boy - Please don't (ft. Jmric)

I'm sure someone else here with more knowledge will cover everything and more in depth. Also, nice tag.

Youtube view count for each Big Bang MV;

We belong together - 9,342,479
A fool of tears - 2, 144,968
This love - 5,515,240
La la la - 10,267,132
Ma girl - 3,743,140
Forever with u - 3,743,140
Goodbye baby - 3,696,909
Dirty cash - 1,693,868
Shake it - 363,431
How gee - 2,885,720
Lies - 18,138,171
Always - 2,290,985
Last farewell - 7,233,230
With u - 7,545,678
Haru haru - 40,949,979
Number 1 - 4,623,776
My heaven - 15,788,261
Garagara go - 22,086,160
Prayer (Taeyang) - 1,677,794
Only lok at me (Taeyang) - 5,501,026
Strong baby (Seungri) - 1,677,794
Heartbreaker (G-Dragon) - 36,829,951
Breathe (G-Dragon) - 9,637,302
A boy (G-Dragon) - 6,752,646
Butterfly (G-Dragon) - 4,266,476
Where u at (Taeyang) - 6,690,691
Wedding dress (Taeyang) - 21,022,692
Koewokikasete - 24,567,291
You’re my / i need a girl (Taeyang) - 3,936,292
I’ll be there (Taeyang) - 7,684,100
I’ll be there (eng) (Taeyang) - 5,793,462
Beautiful hangover - 11,556,676
Turn it up (T.O.P) - 13,637,395
Baby good night (GD&TOP) - 15,474,321
VVIP (Seungri) - 5,321,696
What can i do (Seungri) - 12,140,438
Tonight - 39,722,003
Love song - 27,686,736
Blue - 42,751,619
Bad boy - 39,890,607
Fantastic baby - 92,805,711
Monster - 34,046,264
One of a kind (G-Dragon) - 27,134,905
That xx (G-Dragon) - 22,021,086
Crayon (G-Dragon) - 29,901,278
Utautai no ballad (Daesung) 1,973,109
MichiGo (G-Dragon) - 12,057,768
I love you (Daesung) - 1,521,157
Gotta talk to you (Seungri) - 5,122,921
Coup d’etat (G-Dragon) - 8,184,707
Crooked (G-Dragon) - 16,523,389
Ringa linga (dance) (Taeyang) - 14,304,191
Ringa linga (Taeyang) - 10,114,169
Who you? (G-Dragon) - 5,970,858
Doom dada (T.O.P.) - 6,651,485

That Playmnet channel has its own kpop groups teaching dance lessons thing like Loen does (complete with english subs)

T-ara teaching 'Do You Know Me?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFLEGHSTmg

Crayon Pop teaching 'Lonely Christmas'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Gq9hqHqB0

-----------------

Looking at Billboard's youtube channel and see that Infinite did an interview + live performances with them.

Be Mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVbovMZdEq4

The Chaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXo1nnjnt40

You can actually hear their voices, but the camerawork is a bit dodgy.

Wow, I'm really liking KittiB so far. Thanks!

She was also a part of a battle with E.Via?
I didn't know that. I do know that Jolly V had some negative things to say about E.Via's use of sex appeal. Of which Tymee/E.via had this response.

By the way, I don't like disrespectful stuff or "disses". I guess it's considered a part of hip-hop, but I don't like it. It's good that female rappers aren't afraid to be as aggressive as male rappers. But I think that "diss tracks" are a sad part of hip hop. And I feel a lot of the aggression is unnecessary. In fact, one of the things I liked about discovering e.via at first was the positive energy instead of needless aggressiveness. And it kind of makes me sad that people have focused on hating each other. I'm also really sad that e.via's record label. And there's no reason for people to be attacking each other. This is how I kind of feel about the whole thing. Maybe that makes me atypical, but I don't think that this kind of unnecessary aggressiveness was always a part of hip-hop...

But more power to Tymee, she has a right to be upset by being mistreated and unpaid by other people. I'm kind of sad that meaningless conflicts between female rappers has formed.
On the subject of different aspects of hip hop coming out, it would be nice to see political hip hop out of South Korea. I feel like there's a lot of interesting things to hear about personal, social, and political values of rappers. And is certainly a lot better than meaningless and unfortunate disrespect between musicians. It's really immature, unnecessary, and sad. Jolly V's disrespect of e.via amounted to a lot of slut shaming. And e.via's response, a lot of it amounted to fat shaming. Both of these things are sad, problematic, and mean.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Cuddler

This week "A song for you" is not a cover, but a live performance from the 2BiC December concert:
2BiC - &#49324;&#46993;&#54616;&#44256; &#51080;&#49845;&#45768;&#45796;(I'm loving you)
Awesome as always, such a great ballad. In other news, 2BiC new song and MV will be released next week, the 16 of January. This time they will be in the MV.

I'm not an expert, is this electropop???
[MV] &#53584;&#49884;&#47084;&#48652; (Tensi Love) - Shine (Korea Ver.)
About female rappers...well, I don't know much but Ailee rapped in this 2BiC song:
2BiC(&#53804;&#48709;) _ LOVE AGAIN (feat.Ailee) MV

Tangeroo

Is this supposed to be funny? If it is, sign me up! Besides a certain movie
*cough*A Frozen Flower*cough*
I haven't really seen much of Jihyo's work outside of RM.

She was in Sex is Zero 2 which is a comedy (and available on Netflix). It was pretty good and you don't need to have seen the first one.

Fafnir

Watching Seunggi's Noona Over Flowers on Hulu. The writers keep telling him to do/buy stuff for his girlfriend. I'm sure he didn't tell them that he was dating Yoona even though he's worked with the team for years from 1N2D, but he does drop some hints.

aY0Gjs4.png

Mom + 9 Soshi = 10
laYbg16.png

She was in Sex is Zero 2 which is a comedy (and available on Netflix). It was pretty good and you don't need to have seen the first one.

Lol I actually saw the first one a while back for the wrong reasons again and it definitely was hilarious. Is the first one on Netflix btw? I only got to watch it as my friend had a bootleg DVD with subs.

Anyway, will watch the 2nd one and that movie AgentChris suggested.

Pendulum

What you linked is that person's blog on Naver, not a news article :p

tumblr_meqpygrt4U1ruzhmh.gif

----

A couple more suggestions to add to what's been said - Cassette Schwarzenegger, Humming Urban Stereo (1, 2) and eAeon. You certainly won't find an EDM scene the size of Japan's in Korea :/ (or at least I haven't found it yet)

----

Youtube view count for each Big Bang MV;
Half expected Lollipop to be there.

Pendulum

dokish

Banned
Ah, Friday night! The smell of roses invade the air of Hongdae and pretty young ladies full of hormones and vicious desires occupy the streets...

Sadly I'm too tired and with a freaking headache to do anything. Hate my classmates. (Its racism if I reveal their ethnicity?)

I will still have my party day before the winter vacation finishes.

Btw, we should promote llheuty to best member.

dokish

Banned
That train of thought is already racist.

I hate their behavior, that's all. The class of full of them, and they talk all the time in their native language. When it's time to to the exercises, for example when the teacher ask each one of us to build a new sentence with the grammar we just learned, they will turn to their side and start talking in their native language because they forgot how to say "door" for example. And then everyone starts chatting, like "door you say this way", "no, it is this way", "but yesterday the word she used was this", and when you see me and the teacher stare at them speaking for what it seems eternity, and 20 seconds of class have passed. But this happens all the time.

It got so bad the chatting (during explanations as well) that the teachers had to come up with a punishment system (is this fucking middle school?). 4 people spoke in their native language, got punished, and during the punishment they were still arguing and complaining in their native language.

Anyway, I acknowledge that this is not the place to talk about this, but goddamn if you knew the amount of shit they do.

Hopefully the more advanced levels are better.

Anyone can get me Girl's Day schedule??? Any open performances???

ramyeon

I hate their behavior, that's all. The class of full of them, and they talk all the time in their native language. When it's time to to the exercises, for example when the teacher ask each one of us to build a new sentence with the grammar we just learned, they will turn to their side and start talking in their native language because they forgot how to say "door" for example. And then everyone starts chatting, like "door you say this way", "no, it is this way", "but yesterday the word she used was this", and when you see me and the teacher stare at them speaking for what it seems eternity, and 20 seconds of class have passed. But this happens all the time.

It got so bad the chatting (during explanations as well) that the teachers had to come up with a punishment system (is this fucking middle school?). 4 people spoke in their native language, got punished, and during the punishment they were still arguing and complaining in their native language.

Anyway, I acknowledge that this is not the place to talk about this, but goddamn if you knew the amount of shit they do.

Hopefully the more advanced levels are better.

Anyone can get me Girl's Day schedule??? Any open performances???
The majority of Chinese students in KLI are like that yeah lol.

But yes, it does get better. People that aren't any good get kept in the lower levels or drop out, and class sizes become much, much smaller. Meaning less people who speak the same language in every class. And of course as people get better at communicating 100% in Korean they start to be more confident at using it as well.

dokish

Banned
The majority of Chinese students in KLI are like that yeah lol.

Now I wanna have sex with you even more.

And what's with the P3 avatar? Are you playing it?

Yeah, it's pretty bad. In the fucking _TOPIK_ classes they talk with each other. I don't now Chinese so of course I don't now what's going on. I ask myself "Why the fuck do you commit yourself to do a test which certificates that you have academic knowledge of the target language, but you don't fucking pay attention and use your native language all the time?".

- Student, please make a sentence using this grammar. *student turn to their side and start taking to classmate to help him*

:(

No wonder these motherfuckers get beat up so much by professors.

ramyeon

Now I wanna have sex with you even more.

And what's with the P3 avatar? Are you playing it?

Yeah, it's pretty bad. In the fucking _TOPIK_ classes they talk with each other. I don't now Chinese so of course I don't now what's going on. I ask myself "Why the fuck do you commit yourself to do a test which certificates that you have academic knowledge of the target language, but you don't fucking pay attention and use your native language all the time?".

- Student, please make a sentence using this grammar. *student turn to their side and start taking to classmate to help him*

:(

No wonder these motherfuckers get beat up so much by professors.
Hahaha. Yeah man, just got a Vita recently so I'm playing through P3P. Been awhile since I beat it on PS2, probably my favourite series of games. Never gets old.

Yeah it sucks, they tend to have their own little cliquey groups and only hang out with other Chinese people too so it's really aggravating, especially since they're definitely in the majority in KLI along with Japanese students.

A lot of them end up dropping out from what I saw though. And those that do stay really struggle, especially with speaking. Chinese and Japanese students seem to have huge difficulties with speaking and losing their native accent. That and they're too sure of their reading/writing abilities and rely too much on their knowledge of Chinese/Kanji. Some words sound the same in Korean but have different meanings they're not aware of.

Damn I miss that shit though, good times. Enjoy it while you're there man.

Peru

I had some asocial cliquey chinese classmates the first term but after that most of my closest friends in school were chinese. Maybe helps that I moved on to 'higher ranked' classes (stealth brag) where the classmates were good students who wanted to study and participate in class.

dokish

Banned
Definitely enjoying. After studying 7 hours in a flor with 70 or so people from another country (That is not Korea) and listening another language (That is not Korean) all day, I just wanna hug everyone on the streets when I arrive in Seoul; listening that beautiful sound. (Studying at Incheon Campus, more intensive study, plus TOPIK classes).

We have a K-Pop GAF Vita community? My ID is dokish, please let's be friends ;3

EDIT:
I had some asocial cliquey chinese classmates the first term but after that most of my closest friends in school were chinese. Maybe helps that I moved on to 'higher ranked' classes (stealth brag) where the classmates were good students who wanted to study and participate in class.

Holy cow I miss you. :(
Many friends have come and went back, I can say that you are the one that I truly miss.

Plus, envy you, Level 5 motherfucker. I'll catch up! Keep studying!

Peru also has a Vita. Let's bro up and play something together!

ramyeon

Definitely helps. My second term class were leagues better than the first term. They were all really good at speaking Korean 95% of the time, even outside of class.
Definitely enjoying. After studying 7 hours in a flor with 70 or so people from another country (That's not Korea) and listening another language all day, I just wanna hug everyone on the streets when I arrive in Seoul; listening that beautiful sound. (Studying at Incheon Campus, more intensive study, plus TOPIK classes).

We have a K-Pop GAF Vita community? My ID is dokish, please let's be friends ;3
Never went to the International Campus, any good?

Sure thing man, my ID is ramyeon1989 since every other form of ramyeon I tried was already taken lol.

Next game I'm keen on getting is Toukiden next month since I need some form of Monster Hunting in my life. Let me know if you pick that up too haha.

dokish

Banned
Depends what you mean by any good. Despite the fact that it looks like a ghost town (deserted campus and little far from everything), the campus is pretty good "architecture-wise". The buildings are brand new and super fancy, the cafeteria, the PC rooms, the library, the study rooms, running/sports course/field are nice, the bathrooms are amazing. The campus really looks like a rich company, some level of quality you would expect from a building related to financial stuff. Everything is modern and huge. The classrooms are amazing, some of the best. The chairs are so comfortable I actually wanna steal one. Seriously, I could seat there for hours. I spend 7 freaking hours sitting and my back, legs and everything are just fine. Actually I avoid getting up. Yes, is THAT good.

EDIT: Toukiden? I need to update myself regarding Vita games. If you're picking, I'll pick it up too! You have SONIC? Soul Sacrifice (It has coop?)

ramyeon

Depends what you mean by any good. Despite the fact that it looks like a ghost town (deserted campus and little far from everything), the campus is pretty good "architecture-wise". The buildings are brand new and super fancy, the cafeteria, the PC rooms, the library, the study rooms, running/sports course/field are nice, the bathrooms are amazing. The campus really looks like a rich company, some level of quality you would expect from a building related to financial stuff. Everything is modern and huge. The classrooms are amazing, some of the best. The chairs are so comfortable I actually wanna steal one. Seriously, I could seat there for hours. I spend 7 freaking hours sitting and my back, legs and everything are just fine. Actually I avoid getting up. Yes, is THAT good.
Haha yeah that's about in line with what I'd heard. It's all new but there's hardly anyone using it. The facilities in the main Campus are definitely lacking... those fucking classrooms and their dodgy heaters. I remember being stuck in the basement level was hell during the end of Winter/start of Spring. So damn cold. Don't get me started on those desks and chairs, like they were made for junior school students. I felt like a giant sitting in them lol.

Edit: I got Soul Sacrifice yep, haven't got very far but I'd be down for some of that. Toukiden is similar to Soul Sac, basically a Monster Hunter clone.

Peru

Haha yeah that's about in line with what I'd heard. It's all new but there's hardly anyone using it. The facilities in the main Campus are definitely lacking... those fucking classrooms and their dodgy heaters. I remember being stuck in the basement level was hell during the end of Winter/start of Spring. So damn cold. Don't get me started on those desks and chairs, like they were made for junior school students. I felt like a giant sitting in them lol.

They upgraded the seating my last term. Now separate desks and chairs, still cramped rooms though. Also had to suffer basement classroom cold last winter.

I don't think there is a korean version of Perfume
sadly.
Oh, that's too bad.... :<

Wow... that was.... practically pornographic. :O
It seems like a lot of these artists like... showing their... legs.

I kind of liked the sound of some of the music.
Not so much the music videos, though. Sorry.
Thanks for sharing. And taking the time to find them.

I don't want to be too critical since it was nice of you to share music with me. But I feel like maybe a lot of it wasn't quite to my personal taste. It was very electronic, and that was nice, though. Perhaps if I were just listening to the songs and not watching the music videos I would have been more impressed. The dark, fashion show aesthetic that seems popular in a lot of K-pop doesn't appeal to me. Along with the fashion sense and other aesthetics of the videos, I didn't much like the singing style of some of the songs. I'm very sorry. :< Thank you for sharing anyway, though. I really appreciate your trying to find music for me.

Wow, I really like this. Thanks!

llehuty

Today is the 2nd anniversary of one of my favourite k-pop songs ever, Nine Muses' News.
Live comeback performance with the iconic intro
Flawless unplugged MBC picnic performance

Btw, we should promote llheuty to best member.

*Blushes*
You have yet to write my user name right once.

Wow... that was.... practically pornographic. :O
It seems like a lot of these artists like... showing their... legs.

I kind of liked the sound of some of the music.
Not so much the music videos, though. Sorry.
Thanks for sharing. And taking the time to find them.

I don't want to be too critical since it was nice of you to share music with me. But I feel like maybe a lot of it wasn't quite to my personal taste. It was very electronic, and that was nice, though. Perhaps if I were just listening to the songs and not watching the music videos I would have been more impressed. The dark, fashion show aesthetic that seems popular in a lot of K-pop doesn't appeal to me. Along with the fashion sense and other aesthetics of the videos, I didn't much like the singing style of some of the songs. I'm very sorry. :< Thank you for sharing anyway, though. I really appreciate your trying to find music for me.

Wow, I really like this. Thanks!

Oh, yes, I agree that the videos can be a bit too much most of the times. I seriously think there is a gap in k-pop for a Perfume type of group, with very stylish and classy MV and a clear focus in the music. And of course you can be critical.

Let me try with more recommendations knowing which track was the one you liked the most. Classy and normal MVs also :D

Outsider - Bye U (ft. G.O. MBLAQ)
Gummy & Big Brother - Only one
House Rulez - Invitation (ft. Clara)

ramyeon

I seriously think there is a gap in k-pop for a Perfume type of group, with very stylish and classy MV and a clear focus in the music.
Perfume are incredibly Japanese. There is much less of a market for that type of group in Korea, especially in mainstream pop.

Peru

I don't think that's true, maybe their very earliest singles, the bleepy bloopy futu-bubblegum pop, but in recent years the vocals are not that processed and their electro pop is cool enough to make them popular internationally, Korea no exception (I saw them live there twice). Hell that kiddie k-group ripped of 'Chocolate DIsco' with no shame. There's a lack of good electro pop girl groups in Korea but that's not because of something inherent in the concept I think. As llehuty says, stylistically they're elegant and modern in a way other less export-friendly japanese girl groups aren't.

One of the reasons we haven't seen anything like that in Korea is becuase not enough idol groups stick with one sound. Nine Muses is one of the few groups sticking with only one producer team, one easily identifiable sound. I'd like more of that with exciting producers involved.

ramyeon

I don't think that's true, maybe their very earliest singles, the bleepy bloopy futu-bubblegum pop, but in recent years the vocals are not that processed and their electro pop is cool enough to make them popular internationally, Korea no exception (I saw them live there twice). Hell that kiddie k-group ripped of 'Chocolate DIsco' with no shame. There's a lack of good electro pop girl groups in Korea but that's not because of something inherent in the concept I think. As llehuty says, stylistically they're elegant and modern in a way other less export-friendly japanese girl groups aren't.

One of the reasons we haven't seen anything like that in Korea is becuase not enough idol groups stick with one sound. Nine Muses is one of the few groups sticking with only one producer team, one easily identifiable sound. I'd like more of that with exciting producers involved.
I disagree. Perfume are still incredibly Japanese today, both musically and stylistically. That's not a bad thing, and that doesn't mean they can't be popular in Korea, or in any other country for that fact, to some extent with a certain audience.

The issue isn't groups not sticking with producers, it's that there aren't enough interesting producers involved.

Edit: Also, being Japanese doesn't mean being Morning Musume or AKB48 or whatever rotation idol group is popular these days. There is definitely something inherently Japanese about Perfumes style and music.

Top Bottom