• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

isuzu

SxDFnk7.gif
vbBOesB.gif

JJfrbCn.gif
4eENJhM.gif

KYUNGSOO SO SQUISHY OMFG09U6YHGUJGFHJTYU56
90VHj7F.gif

Peru

I liked it, Boa was awesome in it.

Yeah. I feared too much tap but there were some good routines there. Pls go top 10 US box office ;+

I disagree. Perfume are still incredibly Japanese today, both musically and stylistically. That's not a bad thing, and that doesn't mean they can't be popular in Korea, or in any other country for that fact, to some extent with a certain audience.

The issue isn't groups not sticking with producers, it's that there aren't enough interesting producers involved.

Edit: Also, being Japanese doesn't mean being Morning Musume or AKB48 or whatever rotation idol group is popular these days. There is definitely something inherently Japanese about Perfumes style and music.

Sure Perfume's got a unique sound and Nakata has defined a Japanese sort of technopop, but there are no particular elements of Perfume as a group that shouldn't work in Korea. You said "that type of group" wouldn't work, but Perfume's defining characteristics are a cool style, cool dance routines and synthy pop - all things that work very well on the k-pop scene.

One of the reasons we haven't seen anything like that in Korea is becuase not enough idol groups stick with one sound.

I personally see this as a good thing though. The fact that there's variety in K-Pop land immediately makes it better than English pop music... well to me at least. That's one of the reasons why I got into K-Pop, well Yuri was the main reason for that, but the variety of music helped a lot as well.

Girl's Day for example, it's amazing to see how they've turned out. Musically and visually, from a cutesy group to now at the forefront of sexy K-Pop groups.

That said, I don't mind the fact that a group has their own unique sound. A-Pinkeu for example, they're carving a niche that's perfect for them.

But it's that kind of variety that makes K-Pop awesome imo.

roaSone

I personally see this as a good thing though. The fact that there's variety in K-Pop land immediately makes it better than English pop music... well to me at least. That's one of the reasons why I got into K-Pop, well Yuri was the main reason for that, but the variety of music helped a lot as well.

Girl's Day for example, it's amazing to see how they've turned out. Musically and visually, from a cutesy group to now at the forefront of sexy K-Pop groups.

That said, I don't mind the fact that a group has their own unique sound. A-Pinkeu for example, they're carving a niche that's perfect for them.

My words. The only thing that would differ is that it was Taeyeon for me.

Eldren

Today is the 2nd anniversary of one of my favourite k-pop songs ever, Nine Muses' News.
Live comeback performance with the iconic intro
Flawless unplugged MBC picnic performance

YES

ibiq8uPlfRuhvp.gif

I love News so damn much. I love how the intro builds and then flows so perfectly into the first verse. And the unplugged perf is so good, Sera's attempt at the rap is hilarious.

*Blushes*
You have yet to write my user name right once.

ibySgAVLMNk1Sf.gif

-----

Hey Isuzu, when/how/why did Exo meet James Blunt?

tumblr_mz63jw1PZW1saljgho1_500.jpg

Peru

Yoo Hee Yeol brought up something the singer told him last time. He said, "You told me you wanted to get married early, but in order to get married, shouldn't you start dating? What do you think about that?"

Younha surprised everyone by saying, "I date well--I just don't get caught. I think that I've been dating continuously and pretty well since my debut."

Read more: http://www.allkpop.com/article/2014...ood-dating-life-since-her-debut#ixzz2q1z5zhsU
Follow us: @allkpop on Twitter | allkpop on Facebook

15775_600.gif

Variety in the scene, sure. For a group, it can work, but more often leaves us with a hit and miss discography AND a group with no solid identity. And these days every group sounds like Sistar anyway, until the next trend hits. A group like f(x) is so good because they've got an identity on record. Nine Muses managed to work their way out of obscurity because of sticking to their guns, Crayon Pop the same.

No right or wrong answers but historically I think there's precedent for saying the greatest 'idol' groups have stuck to a particular sound or a producer - The Ronettes, Perfume, Girls Aloud, Destiny's Child, Nsync, etc.

llehuty

I disagree. Perfume are still incredibly Japanese today, both musically and stylistically. That's not a bad thing, and that doesn't mean they can't be popular in Korea, or in any other country for that fact, to some extent with a certain audience.

I'm with Peru here. I think that, for example, Orange Caramel is more japanese than Perfume, both musically and stylistically, and I think they are popular in the k-pop scene, at least more popular than After School.

Also, daaaamn the Boa movie. She is so good, both cute and sexy, I love it. Her english is everything, she sounds so cute with that accent. Outside of Boa, the choreography is quite solid (I'm don't like tap dancing, but the movie in general was well balanced). The choreographers involved are the sames that did Boa's Only One and SNSD's I got a boy. Also, I like also how the dancing scenes have been recorded, you can enjoy the dances without gimmicks, stupid camera angles or unnecesary shots (Step Up 3 and 4, I'm looking at you). The plot is trash, but nobody watches this films for the plot anyway. There are some SM songs in the soundtrack, with SNSD, f(x), TVXQ and Henry. (Most of them, unreleased)

I don't know why this type of movies are not made directly in South Korea, for the south korean market. It's a nice way of cross promoting and getting a lot of money. I mean, imagine a dance movie featuring someone from EXO.

ramyeon

Sure Perfume's got a unique sound and Nakata has defined a Japanese sort of technopop, but there are no particular elements of Perfume as a group that shouldn't work in Korea. You said "that type of group" wouldn't work, but Perfume's defining characteristics are a cool style, cool dance routines and synthy pop - all things that work very well on the k-pop scene.
Let's not play semantics here. I said there isn't a huge market for a home grown version of Perfume's brand of techno pop in Korea. Regardless of how you read into what I said, that's what I mean. Perfume's defining characteristics are their aesthetics and their sound, both of which are very Japanese.

If you mean similar groups in a very vague and basic way, then sure, there's always a market anywhere for synth pop with cool style and dance routines but with just those qualities alone the group could end up sounding very different to Perfume.
I'm with Peru here. I think that, for example, Orange Caramel is more japanese than Perfume, both musically and stylistically, and I think they are popular in the k-pop scene, at least more popular than After School.
Lol what. Orange Caramel are emulating Japanese cutesy idol pop aesthetically yeah but their songs are all incredibly kpop, down to the kpop ballad b-sides.

Perfume's brand of techno pop, or rather Nakata's, is one that was influenced a lot by 90s Shibuya-kei, is really Japanese, there's no way I would mistake it for being from any other country.

If you think a second rate kpop group trying to emulate Japanese idol pop with korean produced kpop songs is more Japanese than Perfume then... I dunno man.

I would consider it that, yes.

Also, Go Ji Hoo is adorable. I wish more K-Pop were like Tensi Love.
Thanks. That was a great recommendation, and I love Tensi Love.

A couple more suggestions to add to what's been said - Cassette Schwarzenegger, Humming Urban Stereo (1, 2) and eAeon.
Fantastic. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I wish I had discovered these artists sooner. Cassette Schwarzenegger is really good electro/electronica. I was hoping I would find something like this when asking for recommendations.

eAeon and Humming Urban Stereo are also really great. That was very helpful. Thank you a lot.

Ashhong

Has anybody bothered to listen to T-ara's #9 (club version)? It's a straight ripoff of Showtek - booyah. I seriously doubt they worked together. I must alert the kpop press.

Variety in the scene, sure. For a group, it can work, but more often leaves us with a hit and miss discography AND a group with no solid identity.

No right or wrong answers but historically I think there's precedent for saying the greatest 'idol' groups have stuck to a particular sound or a producer - The Ronettes, Perfume, Girls Aloud, Destiny's Child, Nsync, etc.

I actually agree. Variety of sound can be a double edged sword if done incorrectly, on the other hand, having a signature sound is tough to manage as it needs to attract new audiences instead of the same.

Daft Punk manages this really well. Homework, Discovery and RAM are different enough to capture a new audience while familiar enough to retain the longtime fans.

I think the biggest issue K-Pop has is the group lifespan and trends. There's no chance an artist can establish their own sound in 2 years and stick with it until the 5 year curse banishes them. Their management companies probably want them to evolve and follow the trends to insure longevity and make money before their 15 minutes of fame runs out.

TBH, I'm really surprised that A-Pink can still do it and hopefully they can do it long enough to disprove this.

dokish

Banned

Wait until she's 14 and her father asks when she gets home late at night: "Where have you been?" - He won't find "Worry about yourself" so funny.

You're still talking about Perfume ca 2004 though. This is their most recent single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYL3DnyA4e0

There's also a reason k-pop groups have hired uniquely Japanese producers like Daishi Dance to produce Korean releases.

Shit that was well made. K-POP MV really lack the artistic side of things.
*Blushes*
You have yet to write my user name right once.
That's too difficult. Ask EviLore to change your username to whatever I wrote.

That's odd, unless I'm mistaken the guy who's singing at the end of the teaser is none other than Gil lol. I kinda wonder why Gary went solo for this instead of making it a Leessang joint. I get that it sounds different than Leessang's usual sound but I highly doubt that they'd make it a Gary solo unless there's bigger reason behind it.

And no, I'm not saying Leessang's breaking up. Just wondering why Gary would go solo after 12 years of working as a duo.

You certainly won't find an EDM scene the size of Japan's in Korea :/ (or at least I haven't found it yet)
Well, I hope that changes. I love EDM and various forms of electronic music.

On the subject of cultural differences, it does seem like Japanese pop music is more influenced by pop rock and electronic pop, and bubblegum pop, while Korean pop music is more influenced bye R&B music.

And Japanese pop music also seems more cutesy.
I happen to like cutesy.

I don't know why this. I know that anime and other forms of entertainment where cuteness is very popular aren't as popular in Korea. Korea has a smaller manhwa industry than Japan, and a very small animation industry. Still, it seems like cute products are very popular in Korea. I've seen lots of cute pastel bags and things out of Korea.

I'm actually surprised that Korean pop music isn't more cutesy and bubblegum pop than it is. In Korean dramas, aegyo is a very popular theme. Most Korean dramas seem to female characters that act in a very aegyo and cutesy fashion. You see every bit as much cutesyness in Korean dramas as Japanese dramas. And Korea seems to have a lot of aegyo, or cutesy products in their pop culture. Just not in their pop music.

And maybe music like the kind Perfume makes is more appealing in Japan than Korea. I wonder why, though. Though that doesn't mean it couldn't exist, lots of K-Pop musicians and groups aren't very mainstream at all. Maybe an indie group would try something like that out.

Actually, e.via's music seems kind of "Japanese" in some ways, despite being a rapper. A lot of her music, particular her early music, is very electronic, cutesy, and dance oriented. And she used lots of aegyo in her music videos.

Tangeroo

Anyone here watch Infinite Challenge? I started watching thanks to their "My Lonely Buddy" holiday special and the latest episode "What If" is hilarious.
The first "What If" scenario they are running is a We Got Married concept for the two show bachelors Hongchul and Gil. Both of these guys are hilarious in their own rights and the women they're paired up with are awesome/adorable. I already like this mini-WGM better than any WGM couple I've ever seen.
If you're into KVariety, I strongly recommend checking out the latest episode to see if it's your thing.

ramyeon

Anyone here watch Infinite Challenge? I started watching thanks to their "My Lonely Buddy" holiday special and the latest episode "What If" is hilarious.
The first "What If" scenario they are running is a We Got Married concept for the two show bachelors Hongchul and Gil. Both of these guys are hilarious in their own rights and the women they're paired up with are awesome/adorable. I already like this mini-WGM better than any WGM couple I've ever seen.
If you're into KVariety, I strongly recommend checking out the latest episode to see if it's your thing.
Been a long time fan, it's better than Running Man just not as popular with international fans. Probably because of less idol appearances and inconsistent subbing in the past.

Tangeroo

Been a long time fan, it's better than Running Man just not as popular with international fans. Probably because of less idol appearances and inconsistent subbing in the past.

Truth. The humor isn't as broad as Running Man typically and a lot of it is specifically catered to their local audience. I'm just really glad that Drama Fever picked it up.

ramyeon

Truth. The humor isn't as broad as Running Man typically and a lot of it is specifically catered to their local audience. I'm just really glad that Drama Fever picked it up.
Running Man is mostly physical humour but Infinite Challenge does a whole range of stuff really. Some of it is really smart and makes you think about issues in society, some of it is really touching because you can see how much effort they put into making the show the best they can.

I remember they did an episode last year where they joined the cheer squads for Yonsei and Korea Universities' sports game, they practiced for weeks and weeks until early in the morning even when the rest of the squad had gone home just so they could put on a good show. It was really impressive.

So yeah, it's not all just humour and gags, it's really well done and they change up the show often enough for it to never really get stale.

Also y'all should have watched The Genius and be watching The Genius 2 because that's the best game show on Korean TV in awhile imo. Pretty obviously inspired by the Japanese drama/manga Liar Game, but it's great.

I'm honestly surprised somebody got through MLB...I had to stop watching when they were doing the dance to join a group because it was so awkward I was cringing the entire time. My face was seriously this the entire time:

image.php

I get the point that the episode is about "anti-social" people but it was just really awkward and cringeworthy.

I really like the show though. I started watching it when Dramafever started subbing them during the Music Festival last year and completely fell in love.

Fafnir

I just watched those episodes, mainly for Sunny. The thing I don't like about IC is that it's either hit or miss for me because the editing is for longer cuts. Sometimes it just takes too long to get the episode started and I'll switch off, while RM is edited to be quick and constant action. The rowing competition episodes started out really slow, then got good, then went kind of stale when Hong Chul/HaHa went to Europe, then got good again when the competition started, but the episodes when they became pro wrestlers was great all the way through. For some reason seeing the cast suffer is great entertainment like 1N2D lol

DXPett1

I kinda wonder why Gary went solo for this instead of making it a Leessang joint. I get that it sounds different than Leessang's usual sound but I highly doubt that they'd make it a Gary solo unless there's bigger reason behind it.

Because they are building up the Leessang Music label. They are already scouting for more talent to put under it.

Anyone here watch Top Gear Korea? I am a massive Top Gear fan. Following the UK show religiously and supported the Australian one (even though it died in the ass). Wondering if its worth the watch?

I should also get into Infinity Challenge. I enjoy Gil. He was hilarious on Night Star (any Soshi fans should watch EP 27 (28/11/10))

And Japanese pop music also seems more cutesy.
I happen to like cutesy.

I'm actually surprised that Korean pop music isn't more cutesy and bubblegum pop than it is. In Korean dramas, aegyo is a very popular theme. Most Korean dramas seem to female characters that act in a very aegyo and cutesy fashion. You see every bit as much cutesyness in Korean dramas as Japanese dramas. And Korea seems to have a lot of aegyo, or cutesy products in their pop culture. Just not in their pop music.

Why didn't you say you like cute music in the first place? k-pop can be very cute, but its mostly the smaller groups that do that style, here's a selection thats either cute or edm like:

Orange Caramel - 'Lipstick'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z9R57maGvc

Dal Shabet - 'Have, Don't Have'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKp1wLAv3Ys

Secret - 'Shy Boy' (not really edm, but its cute and catchy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN6KVm5cRWw

Girls Day - 'Twinkle Twinkle'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpl2CaCnVA&t=0m45s

T-ara - 'Lovey-Dovey'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ0djllyqwY&t=1m24s

'Sexy Love'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShVRP09NCO4&t=0m49s

and lastly, Crayon Pop

'Bing Bing' (Dance practice version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo82koP4sDk

'Saturday Night'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3wnue2ivNg

'Bar Bar Bar' (Dance practice version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZC7yA1Cymc

Eldren

Kyungri's Twitter said:
tumblr_mz8gjvhwwn1sxfn0oo1_500.jpg

넝담~ㅎ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ㅋㅋㅋㅋ닮았어요?ㅋㅋ

I cannot BELIEVE she used the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) face. Amazing.

-----

Here's an extremely unstable and likely low quality audio stream of SNSD's Bangkok concert. It's not good right now - the audio keeps cutting out only to return to some girl roaring in the crowd. But it might be worth checking out. (Not anticipating pics/fancams though because they are STILL wearing those absolutely disgusting pink outfits. Come on, SM, sort this out.)

There are quite a lot of airport pics floating around of the members arriving. This is probably the only time I'm not disappointing in the lack of Hyoyoen pics, however, because this is how she spent the night before the concert:

Priorities.

Top Bottom