• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

tumblr_mzdgt1OwXo1qzjb8ko1_500.jpg

giri

Is DSP still ran by the wife of the ceo that went into a coma? The one that caused the whole backlash in the first place when everybody but Gyuri tried to split?

AFAIK, yes. But i really haven't read that much about DSP in a while.

dokish

Banned
I was talking to someone yesterday and I realized that Boa exist in this world for 29 fucking years. Holy crap she's "old".

I remember her very vividly from the early 2000's.

ramyeon

dayum.gif

14 days in to 2014 and we already found the video of the year. Gary's definitely a random Mr. Capable lol.

EDIT: This song is actually pretty good too!
I can see how people who were introduced to Gary through Running Man would be surprised, but his persona in his music has always been polar opposite of what he shows in Running Man.
what is going on

Girl's Day, AoA, Rainbow and now this

AND WE'RE ONLY 2 WEEKS INTO THE NEW YEAR
One of these things is not like the others D:

I can see how people who were introduced to Gary through Running Man would be surprised, but his persona in his music has always been polar opposite of what he shows in Running Man.

Randomly started watching Running Man on my semester break and literally think I watched at very least 150 episodes of it and loved them all. Never been into k-pop/media really but running man was a nice change from the usual japanese variety shows I've been watching til now and it really introduced me to a lot of good music and people this last month. Gary being one of them.

Not really surprised though, most rappers (and other musicians in general) tend to be different from their non-musical persona. Except for Nas... seriously the most emo rapper and person in the business lol.

Cuddler

2BIC '행복하기를(I Love You)' Teaser
q8cd7P9.jpg

EHpo84X.jpg

QfJVGnK.jpg

gc7e3c4.jpg

Interesting video and great vocals as always, can't wait to listen to to the full song.
I would consider it that, yes.

Also, Go Ji Hoo is adorable. I wish more K-Pop were like Tensi Love.
Thanks. That was a great recommendation, and I love Tensi Love.
Yes, I especially like her in her solo single, she just seems to be a normal simple girl singing, there is no "concept" involved.
I think

It's Do Kyungsoo's birthday! Happy birthday you squishy evil thing!

He's my #1 in Exo-K and #4 in Exo but slowly creeping into my top 3. He's small, cute, has a voice that's honey to the ears and he can also be evil and weird as fuck. You can always expect him to be honest about things (he was the first member to tell sasaengs off) and do something that will left you wondering about the meaning of whatever it is that he did. Shortest but most popular Exo memeber, D.O.!
I'm late to this, but happy Birthday to him!
please continue to like 2BiC and talk about them more, lol
Oh snap. It might be time for EXO to make another appearance in the fanfic.

Speaking of fanfics, it's time for K-Pop GAF's favorite drama!

Hot Coffee - Chapter 8 - Return 2 Seoul

Dokish takes a bus to Seoul while Ramyeon wonders about the mile high club.

http://pastebin.com/B4Ta54qe

As always, written by me and ryan-ts with thanks to Cuddler for the concept.

Enjoy!
Enjoyed ad always!
Thank you!

NyoRx

So I noticed on Gary's MV the title is "XX몰라_ZOTTO MOLA".
Can anyone tell me what the XX is supposed to stand for? I'm assuming it's supposed to be a swear or something like GD's "그 XX" (saekki?). Or what does "zotto" mean.

ramyeon

So I noticed on Gary's MV the title is "XX몰라_ZOTTO MOLA".
Can anyone tell me what the XX is supposed to stand for? I'm assuming it's supposed to be a swear or something like GD's "그 XX" (saekki?). Or what does "zotto" mean.
It's from a slang/swear word, yeah. The original word is Jot and it's pretty much just like most Korean swear words where it can translate to many English expletives depending on context, the title would probably translate to something like "You don't fucking understand".

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
DSP said:
"There is still a lot of time left until April. Our first priority is handling Nicole's issue at the moment... We will meet with Jiyoung's side later this month and actively persuade them."
Translation: omg we're fucked kara is our meal ticket

Honestly I'm more surprised that he did this video and the lyrical content. Leessang's songs are usually for all audiences, this entire EP is pretty much the total opposite of that. Shower Later for example is pretty much blatantly talking about sex.

Damn, 2 down 1 to go for the girl groups who debuted in 2007.

Some Sica stan posted this on Reddit and they're absolutely spot on:

I'd say the current top tier girl groups are SNSD, Sistar, and 4minute. And they all have one thing in common: they're managed well.
They have been given consistently good songs and concepts.
They have stayed out of ridiculous scandals.
The members have all had opportunities (solo, sub-units, variety, acting, etc.)
They haven't randomly vanished from the spotlight.

giri

I'll be interested to see what they do with Kara now. Continue as a trio or replace the 2 members who left.

Rumors in the Japanese media says they have a new recruit(s?) in motion to replace Nicole at least.

Sigh...

There were rumours if it was just nicole, they would introduce a new member for japan promo's (possibly japanese) but leave the group as four for korean activities. But now that 2 appear to be leaving, really, it's over.

Translation: omg we're fucked kara is our meal ticket

Yeah. How you let the second best / second most profitable girl group fall apart like this is genuinely stupid. Really shows how poor DSP management are.

I feel bad more for HSY/ Gyuri / Hara now. They're signed on for 2 more years of DSP incompetence, and don't have a group.

Some Sica stan posted this on Reddit and they're absolutely spot on:

Blackjacks gonna get ya.

Dice

Yeah. How you let the second best / second most profitable girl group fall apart like this is genuinely stupid. Really shows how poor DSP management are.

I feel bad more for HSY/ Gyuri / Hara now. They're signed on for 2 more years of DSP incompetence, and don't have a group.
Well wasn't their original dispute with DSP on the basis that when the original CEO became bedridden, his wife who didn't know shit took over for him and started fucking everything up?

ramyeon

Honestly I'm more surprised that he did this video and the lyrical content. Leessang's songs are usually for all audiences, this entire EP is pretty much the total opposite of that. Shower Later for example is pretty much blatantly talking about sex.
A lot of Leessang songs are explicit as well though? I dunno why you think Leessang are an "all audiences group", they've had a bunch of songs that have been slapped with 19+ ratings. The popular title track of Asura Balbalta, "TV를 껐네...", was also about sex.

giri

Well wasn't their original dispute with DSP on the basis that when the original CEO became bedridden, his wife who didn't know shit took over for him and started fucking everything up?

Yes. Something like that. The wife started to run Kara in to the ground, scheduling more perfs / activities. And general flogging them. But there are "rumours" she just didn't like how much the CEO favored them and spent time managing / on them also. Or maybe it was partially the daughter, Cause she was roped in to be a manager when the father went down, too.

Then there was the whole shady Japanese deal.

Thats what the original dispute was about.

Blackjacks gonna get ya.

Hahaha. I agree with it though. I mean, do I really need to bring up CL's solo thing?

I'm pretty sure everyone would rather forget about that.

A lot of Leessang songs are explicit as well though? I dunno why you think Leessang are an "all audiences group", they've had a bunch of songs that have been slapped with 19+ ratings. The popular title track of Asura Balbalta, "TV를 껐네...", was also about sex.

I get that, but for the most part most of their really popular songs slant toward that audience. You gotta dig in their albums to find the "darker" stuff if you will. Shower Later on the other hand is really blatant. Just check out the English translation that I found.

That said, I'm not complaining though. Just a little observation that I've found that might be wrong or not lol.

ramyeon

I get that, but for the most part most of their really popular songs slant toward that audience. You gotta dig in their albums to find the "darker" stuff if you will. Shower Later on the other hand is really blatant. Just check out the English translation that I found.

That said, I'm not complaining though. Just a little observation that I've found that might be wrong or not lol.
Yeah I know the lyrics are really direct, I speak/understand enough Korean to know that lol. They've released radio safe stuff in the past, and that's usually what becomes popular yeah, but they've always been a group that is much more geared towards an older audience imo.

It's pretty obvious he's trying to distance himself as much as he can from Leessang's work with this solo release anyway. Not really a fan of Shower Later or the video. Zotto Mola is much better.

catmincer

I can agree re: SNSD, Sistar and 4Minute.

2NE1 were my favourite for ages but Falling in Love and Do you love me both sucked. Missing You showed me that Minzy should go solo and that Bom is creepy looking now and cannot sing.

Also the comments about After School are so true. I adored their earlier stuff, Flashback was great too and First Love wasn't awful but they need to promote more than just once a year. Girl's Day did 3 comebacks last year and look how well they're doing now. Rainbow just need a couple of great songs (Rainbow Blaxx one sounds amazing but we'll see).

As for Secret, I was shocked at how creepy they look now, Hana looks like she'll be Bom 2.0 and she wasn't even ugly to begin with plus she has talent (look up her songwriting credits).

giri

Hahaha. I agree with it though. I mean, do I really need to bring up CL's solo thing?

I'm pretty sure everyone would rather forget about that.

I believe that they're still ridiculously profitable and sell well regardless of the quality of their music. Many would Argue that 4minutes songs were weak last year too.

I'd have to ponder the list, but i'm not sure it's that solid a list.

As a random example, AoA are managed by FNC. who seem to be doing really good things with them. 2 of the members have done musicals, 3 of them have/had regular acting gigs. AoA black have already debuted. They seem like a really well managed grounp.

Note, i'm not saying AoA are a top tier group.

Yeah I know the lyrics are really direct, I speak/understand enough Korean to know that lol. They've released radio safe stuff in the past, and that's usually what becomes popular yeah, but they've always been a group that is much more geared towards an older audience imo.

It's pretty obvious he's trying to distance himself as much as he can from Leessang's work with this solo release anyway. Not really a fan of Shower Later or the video. Zotto Mola is much better.

That's the word I was looking for lol. Blatant was the only thing going through my brain. -___-

Are the translations correct btw? I originally saw that on some FB page for the Monday couple and the comments were hilarious...

"This song is for Jihyo unnie!"
"If this won't convince Jihyo to go out with him, I don't know what will..."

Some of these fans... an single smh is all I can say.

Edit:

2NE1 definitely can still rake some cash, I think the issue is pretty much their management. Me and AgentChris have been waiting for god knows how long for Taeyang's new album. We were promised it in 2012, 2013, and it's 20 effing 14 and it still ain't here. Like seriously YG? Whatthefack man?

Niks

There were rumours if it was just nicole, they would introduce a new member for japan promo's (possibly japanese) but leave the group as four for korean activities. But now that 2 appear to be leaving, really, it's over.

So, no chance to stay a trio?

catmincer

I believe that they're still ridiculously profitable and sell well regardless of the quality of their music. Many would Argue that 4minutes songs were weak last year too.

I'd have to ponder the list, but i'm not sure it's that solid a list.

As a random example, AoA are managed by FNC. who seem to be doing really good things with them. 2 of the members have done musicals, 3 of them have/had regular acting gigs. AoA black have already debuted. They seem like a really well managed grounp.

Note, i'm not saying AoA are a top tier group.

They would have easily been #1 if it weren't for Alone coming out at the same time. I honestly never expected Alone (and Loving U) to do as well as they did.

Volume up was a great song and they all looked hot.

As for 2013 songs I really liked What's your name? It was my top played song in 2013. I still thrash it now (Gayoon looked hot during promotions). Is it Poppin' was pretty meh though but the non-single tracks were great, especially Domino.

I also really enjoyed 2YOON and I hope they do a second mini 27/4 was unique and fun.

ramyeon

That's the word I was looking for lol. Blatant was the only thing going through my brain. -___-

Are the translations correct btw? I originally saw that on some FB page for the Monday couple and the comments were hilarious...

"This song is for Jihyo unnie!"
"If this won't convince Jihyo to go out with him, I don't know what will..."

Some of these fans... an single smh is all I can say.

Edit:

2NE1 definitely can still rake some cash, I think the issue is pretty much their management. Me and AgentChris have been waiting for god knows how long for Taeyang's new album. We were promised it in 2012, 2013, and it's 20 effing 14 and it still ain't here. Like seriously YG? Whatthefack man?
Yeah the translation's pretty spot on. It's a very direct song that's gonna put a lot of people off, especially those who think the characters they act on Running Man are their real personalities lol.

Pretty much every comment on YouTube is about Jihyo, too. It's ridiculous. Delusional fans can't separate TV from reality I guess lol.

giri

So, no chance to stay a trio?

None. Entirely opinion based :p

They would have easily been #1 if it weren't for Alone coming out at the same time. I honestly never expected Alone (and Loving U) to do as well as they did.

Volume up was a great song and they all looked hot.

As for 2013 songs I really liked What's your name? It was my top played song in 2013. I still thrash it now (Gayoon looked hot during promotions). Is it Poppin' was pretty meh though but the non-single tracks were great, especially Domino.

I also really enjoyed 2YOON and I hope they do a second mini 27/4 was unique and fun.

I agree with all this, except that Volume Up is far better than anything released after it :p

2Yooon were awesome! But 24/7 wasn't even the best song on the mini.

Fafnir

Jiyoung should negotiate for a ton of money, but DSP would probably go straight to the media with her demands and twist it. They might as well add in 2 Japanese recruits as they seem to be finished in Korea but still popular in Japan. The Japanese strippers I conversated with all preferred Kara over Shojo Jidai.

giri

Jiyoung should negotiate for a ton of money, but DSP would probably go straight to the media with her demands and twist it. They might as well add in 2 Japanese recruits as they seem to be finished in Korea but still popular in Japan. The Japanese strippers I conversated with all preferred Kara over Shojo Jidai.

It would be so incredibly hard to do though. Hara in particular was really emotionally attached to Nicole. (HaNi was real, dammit) So i think intergrating 2 new members would be so hard it could lead to a t-ara level bullying deal.

Dice

Also Kara is as pro as it gets idol-wise. What trainees could roll on their level?

luso

Kara as a trio or bust. But Kara as a trio is already busted :(

Top tier groups, don't forget A-pink, silently they are on the top.

Pendulum

Jiyoung should negotiate for a ton of money, but DSP would probably go straight to the media with her demands and twist it.

There's more to life than money though, which is essentially Jiyoung's thoughts as relayed by her dad in that Soompi article. If you are under a boss that you feel is suffocating you, and you see other paths, sometimes you just have to get out of there. Having 2/5ths of the group thinking this just shows how shit DSP is (this coming from someone that supports T-ara and has to deal with CCM's ineptitude). I think DSP pulled Jiyoung out of her only Korean acting role thus far (Iris 2), right? She's probably still not too happy about that.

Top Bottom