• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

JKTrix

I'm not even black and I'm seriously offended by that statement about their music based on African-American music...
I'm not offended (or American), I just think it's amusing. Kind of like that Big Bang video that was on Worldstar and people there just made fun of it. They all try very hard, but I can appreciate wanting to participate in a culture that's not yours--even if I don't really want to hear it.

Can't stand Lipservice.

Pendulum

843645840.png
843645554.png

Fuzzery

I'm not offended (or American), I just think it's amusing. Kind of like that Big Bang video that was on Worldstar and people there just made fun of it. They all try very hard, but I can appreciate wanting to participate in a culture that's not yours--even if I don't really want to hear it.

Can't stand Lipservice.

I really don't see how it's offensive at all to say your music is based upon or influenced by a certain region's music.

Like, if a band said their music is influenced/based upon traditional chinese music, no one would make a fuss at all

JustinBB7

Yes. Running Man Australia episodes (this is from the next one)

I should really switch to something else, Isubs is 2 years behind now. I kept track of their releases for a while.

Early days:

Episode 65 - 16 November 2011
Episode 66 - 20 November 2011
Episode 67 - 27 November 2011
Episode 68 - 07 December 2011
Episode 69 - 18 December 2011
Episode 70 - 03 January 2011
Episode 71 - 15 January 2011
Episode 72 - 06 February 2012
Episode 73 - 13 February 2012
Episode 74 - 19 February 2012
Episode 75 - 29 February 2012

2/3/4 eps per month.

These days:

Episode 121 - 31 August 2013
Episode 156 - 13 September 2013
Episode 122 - 04 October 2013
Episode 123 - 31 October 2013
Episode 124 - 26 January 2014
Episode 125 - 05 March 2014

6 eps in 8 months..

Running Man is my favorite show so in a way I like to save it and don't mind being a bit behind. That way I will always have episodes to look forward too. But it's getting ridiculous over there. I like to download them in high quality though and don't like streaming, is there another place for that?

Like, if a band said their music is influenced/based upon traditional chinese music, no one would make a fuss at all

It's all about the wording. By saying traditional Chinese music it sounds good, politically correct even. But when you say African-American music, all you're really doing is singling out the race that's associated with the music not the music itself.

The thing is, "African-American music", or hip-hop as what YG should've named this "respect" shit show, isn't about race. Hip-hop has NEVER been about race.

Look at the Japanese beat scene that Nujabes was in and Macklemore's rise to fame in hip-hop, none of them were straight outta Compton or whatever BS. Then follow the rap game, listen to some Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, hell even Boosie... none of their music was ever about proclaiming their race. Speaking of the rap game, take a listen to the K-hip-hop game, it's essentially the same subject as modern American hip-hop, but still never about their race.

Besides, "African-American music" has a deeper meaning and also encompasses a ton of musical genres.

I like to download them in high quality though and don't like streaming, is there another place for that?

r/KoreanVariety

You'll know what to do when you get there haha.

B.A.P European tour dates:

B.A.P LIVE ON EARTH UK 2014 on April 27, 2014 at O2 Brixton Academy, London (UK)

B.A.P LIVE ON EARTH France 2014 on April 30, 2014 at Le Zenith, Paris, (FR)

B.A.P LIVE ON EARTH Germany 2014 on May 3, 2014 at Mitsubishi Electric Halle, Düsseldorf (GER)

I'll go if the tickets are cheap (which they wont be)

No No Eul

Running Man is my favorite show so in a way I like to save it and don't mind being a bit behind. That way I will always have episodes to look forward too. But it's getting ridiculous over there. I like to download them in high quality though and don't like streaming, is there another place for that?

kshownow make their 720p subs available for download about five or six days after each episode is broadcast. The subtitles themselves can be rather questionable though and you have to sign up to their forums to access the HD links.

It may not be the best solution in the world but still, it's better than nothing. :)

Nah mang, I am all about Sunny's lower pitch in this song. I had no idea that was her before Hyoyeon.

Hmmm, it sounds weird, she´s all about the bright higher tones, it´s weird listening sing like that. Just like in Genie.

Although my comment was´nt exactly about that but to mark how clear is the difference between them and the rest of the group, it needs to be like that.

Taeyeon loves the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0uHE3rV38M

Fanacc:

Part of Sketchbook that was edited out. They were asked which Soshi song they like the most.
Taeyeon - Goodbye
Sunny - Kissing you
Tiffany - Lets Talk About Love
Hyoyeon - Boys & Girls
Jessica - Genie
Yoona -Complete
Yuri - Dear Mom
Seohyun - ITNW
Sooyoung - Baby Baby

cr: sirius_801

JustinBB7

kshownow make their 720p subs available for download about five or six days after each episode is broadcast. The subtitles themselves can be rather questionable though and you have to sign up to their forums to access the HD links.

It may not be the best solution in the world but still, it's better than nothing. :)

I might do that and still get the isubs when they come out for keeping or something. If only SBS went the KBS route and made their own youtube channel with subs. That would be pretty sweet because the quality of translation and video would be great.

Pendulum

I posted the Yura vid before (posting again below), but a couple more cast announcements have been made for SBS "Roommate":

Yura
Siwan (Minha guested in the reveal video)
Naeun

----

Edit:
Didn't see this mentioned before? Seoulsonic tour with Glen Check, Rock 'N' Roll Radio & Love X Stereo travelling the US in March/April.
Edit 2: Fuck, woah. Just noticed they'll be in San Francisco on the 20th. I'll be in San Francisco on the 20th.

Eldren

Goodbye in HD
Kissing You

I dunno why but I just got a huge smile on my face when the chorus for Kissing You came in. Classic Soshi is best Soshi.

lmao Hyo didn't even bother to sing her line in Kissing You, that's the backing track. She hates that song so much. It's cheesy as hell but I still kinda enjoy it. Thank god they performed Goodbye though, and it was so good too. Interesting musical arrangement, the instruments were different to the album version. They all sounded really good too.

I wish they would broadcast that question about their favourite songs. I've always been curious but for some reason nobody asks them. And the one time they do get asked, their answers are cut in favour of talking about boyfriends and ideal types again, the same question they get asked on every show.

Their answers are pretty interesting. Taeyeon was the only member who said a recent song, the others all chose songs from older albums. Flawless Sica with her flawless taste. Sunny's choice seems kind of on-the-nose but whatever. I was really confused why Hyo chose Boys & Girls until I remembered that she has 4 lines and one is really good. Girl I see this narcissism.

Also there was a fansign even afterwards which I hope we get fancams of because those white suit/red heels outfits are amazing.

luso

Most of the answers is not only about the musical "value" of the song, I'm sure other things are attached. Not sure about Taeyeon's choice.

ramyeon

It's all about the wording. By saying traditional Chinese music it sounds good, politically correct even. But when you say African-American music, all you're really doing is singling out the race that's associated with the music not the music itself.

The thing is, "African-American music", or hip-hop as what YG should've named this "respect" shit show, isn't about race. Hip-hop has NEVER been about race.
You're judging the statement based on semantics when it's translated from another language? Really?

As for hip hop never having been about race... What on earth? Lol.

And as far as fan reactions go I think you guys sometimes forget that most fans of this music are teenagers. Yes they're idiots but that isn't unique to 2NE1 fans - SNSD fans are just as delusional and ridiculous when they want to be. They're mostly kids, it's not worth even caring about.

Fuzzery

Look at the Japanese beat scene that Nujabes was in and Macklemore's rise to fame in hip-hop, none of them were straight outta Compton or whatever BS. Then follow the rap game, listen to some Kendrick Lamar, Schoolboy Q, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, hell even Boosie... none of their music was ever about proclaiming their race. Speaking of the rap game, take a listen to the K-hip-hop game, it's essentially the same subject as modern American hip-hop, but still never about their race.
I mean, I see your point, if 2ne1 takes more from hip hop than classic african-american music, then he should say that okay our music is based more on american hip hop. But, if the band did take more from african-american music, then it's perfectly fine to say so.

Plus, this is translated anyway, so understandably things are in lost in translation

ISOM

Besides, "African-American music" has a deeper meaning and also encompasses a ton of musical genres.

r/KoreanVariety

You'll know what to do when you get there haha.

At it's basest origin, hiphop, R&B etc are genres created and influenced by african americans. I don't think it's bad to state the race of where the music comes from and I think that is what he was getting at.

ramyeon

Park Chung Hee was a gigantic cunt and his direct influence on the Korean economy is exaggerated by the older generation.

It was a sad, sad day in Korea when his daughter was elected.

Edit: Harsh language, but if there's anyone that deserves it...

Top Bottom