• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

Edit 2:
Prepare for (Fan) World War 3

I enjoy Shinee, and some of Exo's stuff, but he's not wrong. It's not unimportant, but I wonder if Teddy read that with a smile

Big Bang is my favorite boy group because they put out the best songs, I don't give a fuck who writes it. Writing your own music is respectable, and something to take pride in, but as a consumer I feel that it is super unimportant. I only care about the end result. EXO may not write any of their songs on their own, but Growl, Overdose and Call Me Baby have all been greater and/or as great as Loser, which has been BB's only noteworthy song so far in 2015. They better step up their game if they want to want to retain that spot from other groups like Infinite, Beast, SHinee, Exo, Vixx, BTS, etc.

Celebrity magazine has some 20-page soshi photo shoot, some previews:

They all look stunning. In between this, the Hara shoot and the 9M teaser pictures, there's so much fucking eye candy going around now. Good times.

You say "new" like that wasn't always the holy trinity.

There's no holy trinity that doesn't consist of Sera/Sera/Sera...

Pendulum

Is writing pop songs really something to be proud of and boast about tho?

GD was hardly boasting. He was asked a question. And sure, why shouldn't someone, anyone, be proud about people liking what they make?

----

Jisoo has been seen out and about with other Loveylz members and her profile has been added to the official (mobile) website. Expecting her debut when they comeback.

----

Yuna said:
1146814_591241227644858_300202212028333427_o.jpg

mr_chun

Why wouldn't it be?
I'm with you.

Writing pop songs is an art form in and of itself. Sure, there are turds like Party in the USA and Call Me Maybe, but a lot of pop songs are successful because they're well written. Composition obviously requires a different set of knowledge and skills from singing and performing, which is why most pop acts don't write their own songs; they're singers, not composers.

That's why it's significant that GD writes a lot of their music. And the fact that he has a signature sound that really stands out is also significant. It's remarkable that you can hear a song and know that he had his hands on it.

ramyeon

Oh man Mamamoo look like they're having so much fun in this video. The Moonsolar pairing throughout is hilarious, and now that line towards the end where they stop and say "Hey sis, who's this girl?" and then Solar replies "She was a girl!? Oh my god!" makes a lot more sense haha.

Moonstar killing it in her verses and I like how much the camera loves Whi In, she looks great.

Was this posted before?

Bumkey - My Everything

So glad he's fncking back.

Got a piano with you or Garageband?

Play these 3 notes on the piano: (E G# B) (B D# F#) (C# E G#) (A C# E)

Let's see if you can come with a really good pop song that can appeal to a million or more people. Go ahead... a lot musicians have used this exact chord pattern so I wanna see you try to make something better out of that.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but writing music is fncking hard. I spent 2 years in music school and despite spending all those years absorbing everything I can about jazz and classical music, music that's a lot more interesting imo, I'm not able to make pop music that can send me to stratosphere of fame and fortune.

To be fair, I fncking hate pop music's structure coz it's super easy to write and a lot of my music veers off in jazz territory or some obscure thing. Either way, I can't write anything catchy due to my annoying tendencies of not liking a basic pattern. I've actually stopped writing recently coz everything just sounds the same and nothing I write sounds fresh to my ears... I'm trying to get out of that rut but it'll be a while tbh.

And I'm not even get into how hard it is to write lyrics. I'm no poet, just a musically talented person and I can't write lyrics for shit lol.

Oh man Mamamoo look like they're having so much fun in this video. The Moonsolar pairing throughout is hilarious, and now that line towards the end where they stop and say "Hey sis, who's this girl?" and then Solar replies "She was a girl!? Oh my god!" makes a lot more sense haha.

Moonstar killing it in her verses and I like how much the camera loves Whi In, she looks great.

Man Solar is perfect on the video. Good grief.

Brb, gonna find something that works as an avatar lol.

luso

GD is only partially right. While having full, or most or the control, of the music you release is something that you can be proud of, comparing the situation with most of the idol groups is sort of unfair. That’s why they are idols, by nature they are performers and only very occasionally also writers/composers/producers/etc. and therefore they do not have control of what they release. Only seldom the agencies allows some input from their idols employees, and most of the times only years after the debut, when they are more senior.

It is “easy” to brag now that they are active for 10 years and have the power to do something of their own (I recognize they were given opportunities to do some of their own work - with success) but most of their younger idol peers do not even have that chance so easily or early on their careers. If the purpose was to have control from the start, being idols is not the path to go…

Maybe someone can clarify, does he really composes the music as in sits down and works on a mixer/PC whatever instruments there is by himself, or is present along other people (composer, etc.) to give his input and work together? (I just don’t have idea). Or he is saying this about writing only?

Peru

Congratulations, you made a bad post!

I'm with you.

Writing pop songs is an art form in and of itself. Sure, there are turds like Party in the USA and Call Me Maybe, but a lot of pop songs are successful because they're well written. Composition obviously requires a different set of knowledge and skills from singing and performing, which is why most pop acts don't write their own songs; they're singers, not composers.
t.

Party in the USA and Call Me Maybe are great songs that more than most pop hits exemplify the importance of songwriting in pop. Why would a nondescript Canadian singer in her late 20s get a huge worldwide hit? Because Call Me Maybe caught people's attention to that extent, it stands out, even if it's not a radical attempt at doing so, because the subtleties of pop songwriting are great. Because they can still remember and sing along to it. The song alone lifted her to the top. Party In the USA? Released at a time when no one cared about Miley Cyrus outside of a core of Hannah Montana fans. She hadn't even begun her rebellious phase, she was just a Disney Channel personality, and yet that year this song suddenly topped all sorts of year end lists of favorites.

Songwriters all over the world would kill to write songs that work the same way as these to, but they can't. They'd have an easier time, to be honest, writing a critically acclaimed jazz album or composing a film score.

Writing pop songs that hit is difficult and G-Dragon should be proud of Big Bang's success because it's not just a fangirl phenomenon where their product is bought as merchandise, many BigBang songs have genuinely hit in the mainstream and stayed in the digital charts for ages.

At the same time what he said was kinda dumb. He's certainly written his fair share of clunkers and he's always been supported by a team of producers. EXO and Shinee have for the most part had solid musical identities and that's more important than who's writing their songs.

llehuty

Congratulations, you made a bad post!

Party in the USA and Call Me Maybe are great songs that more than most pop hits exemplify the importance of songwriting in pop. Why would a nondescript Canadian singer in her late 20s get a huge worldwide hit? Because Call Me Maybe caught people's attention to that extent, it stands out, even if it's not a radical attempt at doing so, because the subtleties of pop songwriting are great. Because they can still remember and sing along to it. The song alone lifted her to the top. Party In the USA? Released at a time when no one cared about Miley Cyrus outside of a core of Hannah Montana fans. She hadn't even begun her rebellious phase, she was just a Disney Channel personality, and yet that year this song suddenly topped all sorts of year end lists of favorites.

Songwriters all over the world would kill to write songs that work the same way as these to, but they can't. They'd have an easier time, to be honest, writing a critically acclaimed jazz album or composing a film score.

Writing pop songs that hit is difficult and G-Dragon should be proud of Big Bang's success because it's not just a fangirl phenomenon where their product is bought as merchandise, many BigBang songs have genuinely hit in the mainstream and stayed in the digital charts for ages.

At the same time what he said was kinda dumb. He's certainly written his fair share of clunkers and he's always been supported by a team of producers. EXO and Shinee have for the most part had solid musical identities and that's more important than who's writing their songs.

100% agree with everything you said here.

Peru

Mamamoo are good and talented performers but I don't get this new single, sounds like any number of other low ranking girl group songs

roaSone

It sounds less powerful than usual but it still is really great ! Somehow they managed to pull out something from such a basic tune.
Whole album is pretty solid.

AReed

VUXEcdy.gif

Pop music is for the masses. And how easy is it to get the masses attention? Just look at the "blue or gold dress" pic that went viral. All you have to do is write about some drunken one night stand, pair it with a hook about revenge on an ex, a soft bridge about how one day you'll find true love, and come back for the finishing chorus and you got yourself a hit pop song. Just make sure it all rhymes and find a way to get it on the airwaves. The radio is pop's best friend. You don't need singing talent or any musical abilities whatsoever to have a hit pop song.

That being said, I commented without giving much thought in that earlier post. GD is great musically and he deserves the praise he gets.

My opinion.

llehuty

VUXEcdy.gif

Pop music is for the masses. And how easy is it to get the masses attention? Just look at the "blue or gold dress" pic that went viral. All you have to do is write about some drunken one night stand, pair it with a hook about revenge on an ex, a soft bridge about how one day you'll find true love, and come back for the finishing chorus and you got yourself a hit pop song. Just make sure it all rhymes and find a way to get it on the airwaves. The radio is pop's best friend. You don't need singing talent or any musical abilities whatsoever to have a hit pop song.

That being said, I commented without giving much thought in that earlier post. GD is great musically and he deserves the praise he gets.

My opinion.

Lmao, this post is so ridiculous, I don't even know what to say. Are you implying that any song can become a hit? I could see this being applied to lyric composition (I don't think people really care about lyrics that much), but it's just a smaller part of composing a song.

Mamamoo are good and talented performers but I don't get this new single, sounds like any number of other low ranking girl group songs

Yeah, it's really just a standard k-pop song. I still take this before some of their previous bland efforts, but it's like they don't care about the trademark sound they were working before.

Peru

My opinion.

Do you know how many failed pop projects are out there? In k-pop, in America, everywhere? Do you know how many artists major labels have failed trying to push to success, every year, spending dollar on trendy producers, the right promotion, with no mainstream response and failure as the result? Some CEOs may dream of the simple utopia you describe and cry when they realize it's as far from the truth as possible.

ramyeon

Yeah, it's really just a standard k-pop song. I still take this before some of their previous bland efforts, but it's like they don't care about the trademark sound they were working before.
Huh? Not really, I mean there are tracks on the mini like No No No that sound right at home with their previous title tracks. They're trying something new, but it still sounds like Mamamoo. Not sure what you mean by a "standard kpop song". They're obviously doing something right because the response to this seems to be even better than their previous title tracks - it's still charting at #1 on Mnet's realtime charts.

And I'm going to just ignore the bland comment.
VUXEcdy.gif

My opinion.
You know what? This is just rubbish.

Go ahead and post your attempt at a hit pop song then, if it's so easy.

llehuty

Huh? Not really, I mean there are tracks on the mini like No No No that sound right at home with their previous title tracks. They're trying something new, but it still sounds like Mamamoo. Not sure what you mean by a "standard kpop song". They're obviously doing something right because the response to this seems to be even better than their previous title tracks - it's still charting at #1 on Mnet's realtime charts.

And I'm going to just ignore the bland comment.

Go ahead and post your attempt at a hit pop song then, if it's so easy.

Just talking about the title track, didn't check yet the album. The song still has her voices, sure, but the production sounds like something any nugu could release.

And lets not use the chart success to conclude that they are doing something right. They are doing something mainstream. Chart success just indicates that you are appealing the majority of the audience, wether is with interesting sounds (EXID), mainstream blandness (Sistar or 95% of Brave Bros production) or brand/marketing power (SM and YG artists). I feel like Mamamoo's single is somewhere in the middle of those three.

And the blandness comment is just directed at the underwhelming debut track (after some solid predebut tracks), and their previous single (that one was actually very bland). I find Piano Man a decent song, but overall I'm not into their "sound" or concept.

ramyeon

Just talking about the title track, didn't check yet the album. The song still has her voices, sure, but the production sounds like something any nugu could release.

And lets not use the chart success to conclude that they are doing something right. They are doing something mainstream. Chart success just indicates that you are appealing the majority of the audience, wether is with interesting sounds (EXID), mainstream blandness (Sistar or 95% of Brave Bros production) or brand/marketing power (SM and YG artists). I feel like Mamamoo's single is somewhere in the middle of those three.

And the blandness comment is just directed at the underwhelming debut track (after some solid predebut tracks), and their previous single (that one was actually very bland). I find Piano Man a decent song, but overall I'm not into their "sound" or concept.
So we just had a few posts above pointing out how difficult it is to produce a successful pop song and now we're going to write off chart success because you don't like the song in question? Come on now ;)

And no the production in this song does not sound like something "any nugu" could come out with. I already posted a video of an actual producer commenting on this song's production - pointing out valid criticisms of it but also praising it in general for doing some really cool things.

Believe it or not, songs can do well on the charts for just being good songs. Crazy innit? Recent case in point: Baek Ah Yeon.

llehuty

So we just had a few posts above pointing out how difficult it is to produce a successful pop song and now we're going to write off chart success because you don't like the song in question? Come on now ;)

And no the production in this song does not sound like something "any nugu" could come out with. I already posted a video of an actual producer commenting on this song's production - pointing out valid criticisms of it but also praising it in general for doing some really cool things.

Believe it or not, songs can do well on the charts for just being good songs. Crazy innit? Recent case in point: Baek Ah Yeon.

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. Hit song is not necesarily a good song. And moreso in korean charts, when there is this high loyality for brands. SNSD could release a compilation of farts and it still would top the charts.

There is still space for number ones that only rely on the music side of things (EXID, Baek Ah Yeon, etc). But is not the only way to get there in korea (mr.mr, Sistar songs, etc)

Is it difficult to get a hit song? Yes
Am I going to like a song just because it's a hit? No

But props to Mamamoo for connecting with the general public though. They are just not my thing.

mr_chun

Err, you kinda missed my point in exemplifying those two songs. I never said that they weren't catchy or successful - I only meant that they really don't have any compositional merit from the nerdy, music theory side of the table, where as many pop songs do (as in they're catchy but also have compositional merit).

Uptown Funk is a great example, because it's repetitive and catchy and easy to remember while also simultaneously being a fun jazz chart. It's possible to do both, that's all I'm saying. And those two aforementioned songs are about as basic and uninteresting as it gets despite being catchy and successful.

AReed

Lmao, this post is so ridiculous, I don't even know what to say. Are you implying that any song can become a hit? I could see this being applied to lyric composition (I don't think people really care about lyrics that much), but it's just a smaller part of composing a song.

Yes lol. Any pop song can become a hit.

Do you know how many failed pop projects are out there? In k-pop, in America, everywhere? Do you know how many artists major labels have failed trying to push to success, every year, spending dollar on trendy producers, the right promotion, with no mainstream response and failure as the result? Some CEOs may dream of the simple utopia you describe and cry when they realize it's as far from the truth as possible.

And this is what's wrong with pop music.

luso

I don’t like the world luck but ultimately is up to luck to have big hit (at least the first hit, before hype and other attached variables come to play for people blindness accepting the following output).

Let’s face it, some random composer could speed write a song in a napkin in 10 minutes and then recording it in a day with an average singer and basic composition and could still end in a big hit, or a task force assigned to arrange the best resources possible in composing, writing, producing, mixing, singing, computer analysis of 100000 songs, to make the best pop song possible and ending with a non-charted turd of a song.

Edit: "Luck", here, means a majority of the right conditions for a song becoming a hit happened such as right timing of release, right promotions, some phrase in the lyrics with the "right" chords, some eventual/random event put it under radar, etc.

Peru

Yes lol. Any pop song can become a hit.

And this is what's wrong with pop music.

What the fuck are you talking about. If any pop song can become a hit why haven't you made one? If any pop song can become a hit why do some SNSD songs become huge digital sellers and others sink immediately?

Err, you kinda missed my point in exemplifying those two songs. I never said that they weren't catchy or successful - I only meant that they really don't have any compositional merit from the nerdy, music theory side of the table, where as many pop songs do (as in they're catchy but also have compositional merit).

Uptown Funk is a great example, because it's repetitive and catchy and easy to remember while also simultaneously being a fun jazz chart. It's possible to do both, that's all I'm saying. And those two aforementioned songs are about as basic and uninteresting as it gets despite being catchy and successful.

Those two songs are so much better than Uptown Funk and it being "fun jazz" speaks in no way of its compositional merit. Your post is the equivalent of saying Transformers is better than the Mona Lisa because there's more happening in the frame.

TEHJOE

Neo Member
I tend to believe YG idols composing has more to do with market mapping and product differentiation. SM has the idols as corporate products market all sewn up.It would be foolish to compete with SM on their own terms. YG took advantage of the market gap to present his artists as unique while still maintaining the benefits that comes with idols.

The freedom definitely helps at times, producing mega hits like Gangnam Style. It's also helped to push SM to finally let their artists do their own thing. But I find it hard not to be a cynic when iKon and Winner are composing millions of songs that YG is rejecting.

ramyeon

Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. Hit song is not necesarily a good song. And moreso in korean charts, when there is this high loyality for brands. SNSD could release a compilation of farts and it still would top the charts.

There is still space for number ones that only rely on the music side of things (EXID, Baek Ah Yeon, etc). But is not the only way to get there in korea (mr.mr, Sistar songs, etc)

Is it difficult to get a hit song? Yes
Am I going to like a song just because it's a hit? No

But props to Mamamoo for connecting with the general public though. They are just not my thing.
See that's all well and good but I'm not sure why you're even talking about agency and brand loyalty. I was saying that Mamamoo getting #1 (Even briefly) is a good sign for this new release. Mamamoo is not SNSD or EXO or whatever. They're not with SM or YG or anything like that. Brand loyalty is pretty much irrelevant in this case.

And yes, the fact that you barely enjoyed their previous releases says to me they're just not for you. And that's fine.

mr_chun

Those two songs are so much better than Uptown Funk and it being "fun jazz" speaks in no way of its compositional merit. Your post is the equivalent of saying Transformers is better than the Mona Lisa because there's more happening in the frame.
I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.

When I say fun jazz chart, I mean fun from a compositional point of view. When quoting me, you left out the critical term "chart," which is referring specifically to the compositional structure of the song. Uptown Funk is simplistic in its harmonic structure but rhythmically interesting, with a much thicker texture thanks to its jazz style scoring and arrangement. From a compositional point of view, it does basically everything better than the other two songs while also encapsulating what ever it is that makes a pop song 'catchy', which is why I give it more credit as a well-written pop song vs the other two.

I mentioned Uptown Funk to prove a point about compositional merit, why the hell would I do that if it didn't have any? Lmao.

AReed

What the fuck are you talking about. If any pop song can become a hit why haven't you made one? If any pop song can become a hit why do some SNSD songs become huge digital sellers and others sink immediately?

I said any not all.

Top Bottom